Register

Team Movistar-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

28 Dec 2018 15:34

Might beg the question who is gonna control those stages. I imagine a good amount of riders will be looking for those breakaways so they'll probably already ship some time the first chance they get. I imagine most GC teams will be happy the bonus seconds are gone, and those stages aren't hard enough to really try for an attack for the punchier of the GC riders.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

28 Dec 2018 16:24

wheresmybrakes wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:It's official, Matthews is riding the Tour. So are Alaphilippe, Sagan, GVA.

Valverde's biggest rivals for those stages are breakaway riders, not other puncheurs.

So Valverde is doing a Dumo and running away from the competition to make it as easy as possible to win a Jersey. Makes sense at his age.

To be fair, he has a great chance of wearing Giro and literally no chances of wearing yellow because of the TTT.

But if he only is there as a stage hunter, there are almost more chances in the Tour than Giro. Stage 3 in the Tour features a lot of muro-like climbs.

For example: Is this a Sagan stage or a Valverde stage? I can't tell.

The Vosges stage to Colmar is also really good for him.
User avatar Velolover2

Re:

28 Dec 2018 16:33

Red Rick wrote:Might beg the question who is gonna control those stages. I imagine a good amount of riders will be looking for those breakaways so they'll probably already ship some time the first chance they get. I imagine most GC teams will be happy the bonus seconds are gone, and those stages aren't hard enough to really try for an attack for the punchier of the GC riders.

There are some teams that might be interested in uphill sprint stages. Sky for Moscon, Bora for McCarthy, Jumbo for De Plus, AG2R for Vuillermoz.. But you are right, it's hard to imagine any teams going all in for the hilly stage. The GT leaders need to have a fresh team before the mountains.
User avatar Velolover2

28 Dec 2018 16:35

Is the run in technical?

I'm thinking Sagan or Matthews. It's just really short and everything that happens more than 20km from the line is kinda irrelevant between these kinds of riders, unless somebody makes an attack of some significance, which I don't see happening.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

28 Dec 2018 16:36

Velolover2 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Might beg the question who is gonna control those stages. I imagine a good amount of riders will be looking for those breakaways so they'll probably already ship some time the first chance they get. I imagine most GC teams will be happy the bonus seconds are gone, and those stages aren't hard enough to really try for an attack for the punchier of the GC riders.

There are some teams that might be interested in uphill sprint stages. Sky for Moscon, Bora for McCarthy, Jumbo for De Plus, AG2R for Vuillermoz.. But you are right, it's hard to imagine any teams going all in for the hilly stage. The GT leaders need to have a fresh team before the mountains.

It's just really hard to see a team go 'yeah, my 3rd rate puncheur is gonna beat Valverde here'. Moscon is the only one there with a remote chance, and they'll be riding for GC.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

28 Dec 2018 16:48

Velolover2 wrote:

Katusha for Battaglin, UAE for Ulissi.
User avatar tobydawq

28 Dec 2018 18:55

Velolover2 wrote:
wheresmybrakes wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:It's official, Matthews is riding the Tour. So are Alaphilippe, Sagan, GVA.

Valverde's biggest rivals for those stages are breakaway riders, not other puncheurs.

So Valverde is doing a Dumo and running away from the competition to make it as easy as possible to win a Jersey. Makes sense at his age.

To be fair, he has a great chance of wearing Giro and literally no chances of wearing yellow because of the TTT.

But if he only is there as a stage hunter, there are almost more chances in the Tour than Giro. Stage 3 in the Tour features a lot of muro-like climbs.

For example: Is this a Sagan stage or a Valverde stage? I can't tell.

The Vosges stage to Colmar is also really good for him.

Or it's more of the fact that he prefers the Giro and Vuelta to the Tour and has been trying to get out of racing the Tour since he got his podium there in 2015. (Hence the reason he raced all 3 GTs in 2016 because he won't miss la Vuelta). Is he going stage hunting or going for overall or racing for Landa? Great question and he doesn't seem to know the answer to that. He's not running away from the competition (he'll be at the Ardennes), it's more he would prefer to race the Giro over the Tour as he likes it better. At his age he should have the right to race what he wants to race.
User avatar Koronin

01 Jan 2019 18:01

So this is most likely how the GTs will look like:

Giro: Valverde, Landa and Carapaz
Tour: Quintana, Landa and Soler
Vuelta: Valverde and Quintana + maybe Soler/Carapaz, Carapaz is more likely.

That means you need 5 dedicated, 100% domestiques in every GT. In the Tour it could be Oliveira, Amador, Bennati, Erviti and Fernandez/Valls. Verona, Rojas or Roelandts could also be very useful. They have a slightly better team with more depth this year, but as always it comes down to the stars and if they can deliver.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

01 Jan 2019 19:10

Spot the Landa

User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

01 Jan 2019 20:00

Valv.Piti wrote:So this is most likely how the GTs will look like:

Giro: Valverde, Landa and Carapaz
Tour: Quintana, Landa and Soler
Vuelta: Valverde and Quintana + maybe Soler/Carapaz, Carapaz is more likely.

That means you need 5 dedicated, 100% domestiques in every GT. In the Tour it could be Oliveira, Amador, Bennati, Erviti and Fernandez/Valls. Verona, Rojas or Roelandts could also be very useful. They have a slightly better team with more depth this year, but as always it comes down to the stars and if they can deliver.

Erviti definitely at la Vuelta and most likely at the Giro as well. It's unlikely he'll go to the Tour. He's almost become Valverde's personal domestique. Hopefully Fernandez can put together a season without injuries.
From things Soler has said recently it sounds like he's likely to have a very similar calendar in 2019 to what he had in 2018.
User avatar Koronin

04 Feb 2019 10:56

Telefonica has stopped the sponsorship of the MotoGP team, I wonder if this means they are are going to throw more money in the cycling team considering that MotoGP sponsorship costs were huge (Valentino Rossi's salary alone is reported to be 12M $ by Forbes) so they have a lot more money for other sponsorships.
Nirvana

Re:

04 Feb 2019 22:02

Nirvana wrote:Telefonica has stopped the sponsorship of the MotoGP team, I wonder if this means they are are going to throw more money in the cycling team considering that MotoGP sponsorship costs were huge (Valentino Rossi's salary alone is reported to be 12M $ by Forbes) so they have a lot more money for other sponsorships.

They renewed their sponsorship with the cycling team back in Dec. From what was said sounds like it was very similar to their current contract. Interesting they stopped sponsorship of the Moto GP team. They do have other sponsorship as the parent company is Telefonica. Telefonica it's self is a personal sponsor of Fernando Alonso. They have some other involvement in motorsports under the Telefonica name.
User avatar Koronin

04 Feb 2019 22:10

I like the idea of Carapaz & Landa at the Giro - if these 2 guys work together and don't play silly b*****s it could be fun viewing.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

Don't mention Khashoggi! It’s a collusion witch hoax!
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

04 Feb 2019 23:15

Robert5091 wrote:I like the idea of Carapaz & Landa at the Giro - if these 2 guys work together and don't play silly b*****s it could be fun viewing.

I think they can work well together. Yes it should be fun to watch if both are peaking for it. Then of course they'll have Valverde as a Super Domestique as well.
User avatar Koronin

Previous

Return to Professional road racing