Log in:  

Register

Ion Izagirre

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Ion Izagirre

30 Apr 2016 17:41

Surprised to see he didn't have a topic already :confused:

He is having a great season so far. Ion has made another step in his development and he is now almost an assurance for a top-5 in stageraces. A pity he had to miss his homerace Tour du Pays Basque.
He also seems to climb better in the mountains.
Moviestar
Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: 31 May 2015 00:39

30 Apr 2016 17:44

Despite the likes of Samu and Antón being around, I said back at the time that in the long-term Ion may end up being the star lot at the Euskaltel auction when the team disbanded. It's not quite right, since of course there was Landa too, but Ion is emerging into a very solid all-rounder and week-racer, possibly a stagehunter elsewhere, a bit like Luísle was for Abarcá in the Caisse d'Epargne days.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,783
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

30 Apr 2016 19:58

Great rider, that Mr Ion.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,626
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

01 May 2016 12:07

He could really have a breakthrough this year. He is climbing better than ever and he does have the tools to win races.

He will probably need to help Quintana and Valverde a lot but I hope he can get a chance to shine in some bigger races
Bushman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,171
Joined: 03 Jun 2012 22:00
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

01 May 2016 13:28

One of my favourite riders in the week-long stage races. Sort of reminds me of Zubeldia in his skillset, yet a little bit less ninja.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,514
Joined: 17 Apr 2013 18:38
Location: Denmark

01 May 2016 16:40

A great rider and a very nice result. :)
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 15 Apr 2016 16:10

Re:

09 May 2016 17:38

Libertine Seguros wrote:Despite the likes of Samu and Antón being around, I said back at the time that in the long-term Ion may end up being the star lot at the Euskaltel auction when the team disbanded. It's not quite right, since of course there was Landa too, but Ion is emerging into a very solid all-rounder and week-racer, possibly a stagehunter elsewhere, a bit like Luísle was for Abarcá in the Caisse d'Epargne days.


Izagirre has many of the same characteristics, but I think Luis was the more talented rider, at least when it came down to stage hunting. He was simply phenomenal at that, still is to some extent, while Ion has trouble finishing races off. You rarely see him win anything, but this year he actually already have 2 wins. Thats why I was so glad when he won that prologue, he needs to get that instinct of a winner.

On the other hand, I think Izagirre, if given the right support, has the potential to be a lot better of a GC-rider. He already pretty much is at this point already in 1 weekers, but Im thinking further ahead to the GT's also. Im pretty sure he will get somewhat of a free role in the Vuelta if he isn't selected in the Tour which I dont think he will. He has only had one chance to show himself and that failed pretty miserable, but this is the Vuelta, home of 1 stage, 1 climb.

Who knows. Maybe he should just focus on one week races, Spilak-esque, but I would like to see him try himself out in the Vuelta and Giro. Who knows. Great rider! :)
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,679
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

28 May 2016 22:04

Anyone knows how badly he was hurt in Romandie and what his schedule may look like? Im thinking something similar to Suisse, Burgos and Vuelta.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,679
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

29 May 2016 12:31

Valv.Piti wrote:Anyone knows how badly he was hurt in Romandie and what his schedule may look like? Im thinking something similar to Suisse, Burgos and Vuelta.


I also think his schedule will be similar to that, with Pologne added to it .
Moviestar
Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: 31 May 2015 00:39

29 May 2016 12:32

I'm sure he'd love to be in the Tour.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

Re: Re:

29 May 2016 19:17

Moviestar wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Anyone knows how badly he was hurt in Romandie and what his schedule may look like? Im thinking something similar to Suisse, Burgos and Vuelta.


I also think his schedule will be similar to that, with Pologne added to it .


Oh ****, I forgot about his favourite race. :D That instead of Burgos, then.

CheckMyPecs - Maybe. i think he knows he won't have any GC-ambitions with Quintana, on the contrary, he will have his opportunities in the Vuelta.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,679
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

23 Jun 2016 19:06

He's won the Movistar ITT Championship ahead of Castroviejo, Valverde and Herrada. Lulu has been the first non-movistar rider in 5th position.

http://www.elmundo.es/deportes/2016/06/23/576c2d03ca4741a93d8b4645.html
ice&fire
Member
 
Posts: 1,405
Joined: 01 Jul 2015 19:30

Re:

23 Jun 2016 19:57

ice&fire wrote:He's won the Movistar ITT Championship ahead of Castroviejo, Valverde and Herrada. Lulu has been the first non-movistar rider in 5th position.


:D nice gesture by the country of Spain to offer their facilities for this event
aarononymous
Junior Member
 
Posts: 223
Joined: 04 Oct 2012 00:25

23 Jun 2016 20:11

Didn't someone say Lulu wasn't taking part in the ITT?
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

23 Jun 2016 20:32

It would be some sort of a sin not to bring this guy to the Tour and Rio
User avatar Mr.White
Member
 
Posts: 1,934
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 17:13

Re: Re:

24 Jun 2016 12:08

aarononymous wrote:
ice&fire wrote:He's won the Movistar ITT Championship ahead of Castroviejo, Valverde and Herrada. Lulu has been the first non-movistar rider in 5th position.


:D nice gesture by the country of Spain to offer their facilities for this event

Special thanks should be given to former Movistar rider Rubén Plaza for hosting the race in his birth town. He finished 6th.
ice&fire
Member
 
Posts: 1,405
Joined: 01 Jul 2015 19:30

24 Jun 2016 14:26

Brother Gorka has a nice season, too.
Anyway at his younger days, I always felt Ion could be anything he chose to be, maybe a bit like Geraint Thomas now, and I knew he would take some time finding his real forte. I even thought he could've done well in cobble had he chose to, but of course he didn't.
User avatar gunara
Member
 
Posts: 668
Joined: 06 Dec 2012 14:42

24 Jun 2016 15:51

It's not too late to try, time trialists can make the transition to the cobbles relatively easily.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

24 Jun 2016 17:27

If he decides to do cobbles he'll have to work for Erviti :D
ice&fire
Member
 
Posts: 1,405
Joined: 01 Jul 2015 19:30

Re:

24 Jun 2016 21:25

ice&fire wrote:If he decides to do cobbles he'll have to work for Erviti :D


Two Basque names in the leading group near the end of Paris - Roubaix will be quite surreal :D
User avatar gunara
Member
 
Posts: 668
Joined: 06 Dec 2012 14:42

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dusty red roads, Jakob747 and 14 guests

Back to top