Log in:  

Register

Team Sky Discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

22 Sep 2018 22:26

Change of ownership at Sky. I wonder whether it will impact the funding of the team.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/22/comcast-outbids-rupert-murdochs-fox-to-win-control-of-sky
User avatar Richeypen
Member
 
Posts: 1,668
Joined: 03 May 2011 12:21

Re:

22 Sep 2018 23:26

Richeypen wrote:Change of ownership at Sky. I wonder whether it will impact the funding of the team.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/22/comcast-outbids-rupert-murdochs-fox-to-win-control-of-sky


Unlikely Comcast has a long history with cycling as a broadcaster.
MatParker117
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,997
Joined: 28 Aug 2012 22:05

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

23 Sep 2018 10:40

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
Põhja Konn wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:These discussions are getting silly. I usually don't like to write a post in a "I am right and you are wrong way", I usually want to make arguments and be open to other opinions, but I've reached the point of thinking, why should I even care about this nonsense.
I'm usually rather bad at picking riders I become a fan of, as they usually don't live up to the expectations. Nibali is pretty much the only rider who won big races while I called myself a fan of him (and I only became a fan of him after he had already won big races), while I became a Contador fan in 2016 and rooted for Andy Schleck for his whole career. But then again since my childhood I find myself rooting for Real Madrid, and as a big Austrian alpine skiing fan I've always rooted for Marcel Hirscher. Real Madrid won four of the last 5 champions league titles and Marcel Hirscher won the overall world cup (the biggest thing you can win as an alpine skier) for unprecedented 7 times in a row. I'm still happy when they win, but to be honest, even I hope a different team will win the Champions League this year and if Hirscher doesn't win his 8th title in a row I definitely won't be mad and you know why? Because even I find that kind of dominance boring.
Yet year after year I find myself arguing with sky fans trying to find ways to explain why I'm not a big supporter of their team and at the same time trying not to be subjective but to look at things in a completely neutral way, because hey, everyone can have his opinion, right? And again it's fall and I'm staring at my screen in disbelief reading that the next big talented climber just terminated a seemingly already done deal with trek because he might now also want to join sky. Bernal, Sivakov, Sosa, I think if Sky somehow gets Evenepoel to sign for them they might have a bingo.
The thing is though, as many have written, the problem is not what sky is doing with their money, it's that they have so much money. As great as Bernal has been so far, this amount of money for a 21 year old is insane, but for them it's reasonable because as they have the money, why shouldn't they use it. As annoying as this disparity is and although it still makes me angry, I have accepted it. However what I do not accept and what motivated me to write this post is the ridiculous position the sky fans once again take in this discussion. Because they don't want to understand why what their team is doing is bad for the sport, because while I always tried to consider their opinions just like the opinion of anyone else, they apparently don't give a f*ck about what anyone else thinks and take their own opinion as granted. "The 2018 tour got rated way lower than the 2018 Vuelta? Oh f*ck it, that's nonsense, just admit the tour was better, just be honest" "Sosa might join Bernal at sky next season? Oh how beautiful it will be to watch sky throwing money at him while he is only the 6th last men for Froome in the next boring tdf mountain stage" Never do I find any posts by sky fans admitting that although they root for whoever sits in 2nd to last position of the train, the strength of the team is boring for the sport. Nowhere a spark of understanding. So are there just no sky fans who care about more than just their guy winning, are they too full of themselves to admit that, are they all just delusional or are they simply all trolls? What the f*ck is wrong with the fanbase of that team, serious question, what the f*ck is wrong?
I'm sorry for losing my patience and I will probably regret posting this tomorrow, but I just couldn't hold this back. This whole debate is just annoying and in reality a discussion between people who love a sport and people who love a team.


No need to regret anything you wrote, you're pretty much preaching to the choir here. Anyone with an ounce of dignity and decency left can only be thoroughly disgusted with the kind of greed and arrogance Sky are displaying.

For all the problems cycling has with teams folding left and right on all levels, I would actually be really happy if Team Sky would disappear. They are gradually taking the sporting element out of the sport of cycling, they have become that cancerous.

Boring, but the same as above:
There is no need to reply to sb who admitted during Finestre stage: "It was a brilliant race up until yesterday, today it has turned into a complete farce".

Now, I'm out (till tomorrow :razz: ).


And yet, you're taking time to look up my post from 4 months ago, and then reply in a condescending and arrogant manner. And have nothing to say about the actual concerns that were raised in a post I qouted and which I concurred with. How utterly predictable. :rolleyes:
User avatar Põhja Konn
Member
 
Posts: 471
Joined: 01 Sep 2012 17:09

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

23 Sep 2018 12:14

tobydawq wrote:
Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:The same as above:
There is no need to reply to sb who admitted during Finestre stage: "I'm out".


Pretty easy to play that card, thus avoiding displaying the impossibility of explaining why you enjoy watching Sky suffocating almost every Grand Tour.

How dare they win races
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,455
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

24 Sep 2018 05:55

Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon
Member
 
Posts: 1,535
Joined: 19 May 2012 08:56

24 Sep 2018 09:02

That's bad luck.

I thought it was weird they blew up on the climb while their team had the most capable climbers of any team bar maybe Sunweb.

If Thomas and Froome had shown up for ths in good shape it would've been an easy win for Sky I think.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,675
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

24 Sep 2018 10:58

I wouldn't say easy win, downhill-finale part was not easy and QS did like once in a lifetime ride there.

Froome can do it solo - like Han Solo - but Sky as a team.. :lol: :D
memyselfandI
Junior Member
 
Posts: 207
Joined: 04 Jun 2009 08:32

09 Oct 2018 15:47

Jhonatan Narvaez and Ivan Sosa is not bad transfer business.
MatParker117
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,997
Joined: 28 Aug 2012 22:05

09 Oct 2018 16:46

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1049676746180763648 James Murdoch quits Sky as Comcast takes control

some changes to come for Team Sky? with long contract they signed with Bernal....
CTQ
Member
 
Posts: 351
Joined: 12 Mar 2016 12:14

Re:

09 Oct 2018 17:08

MatParker117 wrote:Jhonatan Narvaez and Ivan Sosa is not bad transfer business.

Going South American it seems
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,577
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

09 Oct 2018 23:04

Valv.Piti wrote:
MatParker117 wrote:Jhonatan Narvaez and Ivan Sosa is not bad transfer business.

Going South American it seems



Maybe it's a reason: Telemundo (Spanish pronunciation: [teleˈmundo]) is an American Spanish-language terrestrial television network owned by Comcast through the NBCUniversal division NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises. It is the second largest provider of Spanish-language content nationwide behind American competitor Univision, with programming syndicated worldwide to more than 100 countries in over 35 languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemundo
CTQ
Member
 
Posts: 351
Joined: 12 Mar 2016 12:14

Re:

09 Oct 2018 23:47

CTQ wrote:https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1049676746180763648 James Murdoch quits Sky as Comcast takes control

some changes to come for Team Sky? with long contract they signed with Bernal....


Funded through 2024

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2018/10/09/team-sky-confident-takeover-fears-will-not-affect-performance/

Earlier this summer, Sir Dave Brailsford’s team agreed a lease at the Manchester Institute of Health and Performance. The lease is understood to be at least five years, which would take it up to the end of what was being spoken about as Team Sky’s “secured funding cycle” of 2024.
MatParker117
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,997
Joined: 28 Aug 2012 22:05

Re: Re:

10 Oct 2018 06:38

CTQ wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
MatParker117 wrote:Jhonatan Narvaez and Ivan Sosa is not bad transfer business.

Going South American it seems



Maybe it's a reason: Telemundo (Spanish pronunciation: [teleˈmundo]) is an American Spanish-language terrestrial television network owned by Comcast through the NBCUniversal division NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises. It is the second largest provider of Spanish-language content nationwide behind American competitor Univision, with programming syndicated worldwide to more than 100 countries in over 35 languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemundo


Froome to do Vuelta a Colombia? :D
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,152
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re: Re:

10 Oct 2018 11:20

Robert5091 wrote:
CTQ wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
MatParker117 wrote:Jhonatan Narvaez and Ivan Sosa is not bad transfer business.

Going South American it seems



Maybe it's a reason: Telemundo (Spanish pronunciation: [teleˈmundo]) is an American Spanish-language terrestrial television network owned by Comcast through the NBCUniversal division NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises. It is the second largest provider of Spanish-language content nationwide behind American competitor Univision, with programming syndicated worldwide to more than 100 countries in over 35 languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemundo


Froome to do Vuelta a Colombia? :D



well, he is going to join Rigoberto Uran in november to ride his Gran Fondo, El Giro de Rigo....
CTQ
Member
 
Posts: 351
Joined: 12 Mar 2016 12:14

Re: Re:

10 Oct 2018 13:34

CTQ wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
MatParker117 wrote:Jhonatan Narvaez and Ivan Sosa is not bad transfer business.

Going South American it seems



Maybe it's a reason: Telemundo (Spanish pronunciation: [teleˈmundo]) is an American Spanish-language terrestrial television network owned by Comcast through the NBCUniversal division NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises. It is the second largest provider of Spanish-language content nationwide behind American competitor Univision, with programming syndicated worldwide to more than 100 countries in over 35 languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemundo


For that to matter, Team Sky would have to be re-branded to Team Comcast or similar.

However, as Team Sky remains as Team Sky, literally no lay person will know this. Unless South Americans will start supporting Team Sky because they are owned by Comcast which in turn owns NBCUniversal which finally owns Telemundo. Unlikely I think :p
MuskyOurSaviour
Junior Member
 
Posts: 242
Joined: 12 Mar 2018 11:15

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

10 Oct 2018 17:59

interesting about Sky's future (from facebook)

https://www.twitter.com/thchris1958/status/1050012716281327617
pastronef
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,362
Joined: 19 Aug 2011 08:25
Location: Italia

12 Oct 2018 16:12

Riders currently with contracts next year

David Lopez
Tao Geoghegan Hart
Philip Deignan
Keny Elissonde
Salvatore Puccio
Sebastián Henao
Owain Doull
Jonathan Dibben

I expect Kenny E, Tao and Doull will definitely get new contracts
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,819
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

Re:

12 Oct 2018 16:38

del1962 wrote:Riders currently with contracts next year

David Lopez
Tao Geoghegan Hart
Philip Deignan
Keny Elissonde
Salvatore Puccio
Sebastián Henao
Owain Doull
Jonathan Dibben

I expect Kenny E, Tao and Doull will definitely get new contracts

Geoghegan Hart for sure, but I'd expect Sky to make some room for the Summer of '19 too. They'll be all over Mark Donovan, Ethan Hayter and Thomas Pidcock.
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,226
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

Re:

12 Oct 2018 17:48

del1962 wrote:Riders currently with contracts next year

David Lopez
Tao Geoghegan Hart
Philip Deignan
Keny Elissonde
Salvatore Puccio
Sebastián Henao
Owain Doull
Jonathan Dibben

I expect Kenny E, Tao and Doull will definitely get new contracts

So you mean without contracts ;)
I think Lopez and Deignan might retire, the rest will probably stay, certainly Tao, and I heard Doull talking about riding a GT next year, and not like "I'm gonna leave because Sky won't let me". That means that after Sosa, Narvaez and Ganna, there is only one spot left, which probably goes to Hayter. I'm not sure that Donovan will get a full contract yet, he should probably do the U23's for another year, kinda like what Tao did.
Vasilis
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: 04 May 2014 17:52

12 Oct 2018 21:55

MatParker117
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,997
Joined: 28 Aug 2012 22:05

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], GuyIncognito, Ursus and 33 guests

Back to top