Log in:  

Register

Team Sky Discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

14 Mar 2017 08:08

Angliru wrote:
wheresmybrakes wrote:What is it people don't like about sky? Is it that they've only been on the scene for a short amount of time and seem to win quite regularly, unlike some teams where their favourite rider is riding for? Is it that they have a larger budget so can bid more/over the top for the best (ish) riders therefore tipping the balance of fairness in their favour? Is it that they tend to bring on board top riders who in their own right could be fighting for GC on other teams but end up being doms for Froome in the Tour? Is it a clinic issue? Or is it just jealousy? A combination? Or something completely different?

Some don't like the way they say, ruin races with the mega choo choo train they have. I always thought the objective was to win the race. I'm sure the powers that be at sky don't give a hoot how they win races, on the road, (not clinic issues). Would Contador fans stop idolising him if he had gone to sky at some point, even if it meant him winning more races with having a decent team around him? Can you imagine the forums if Contador had won the Tour umpteen times more and the other GT's he could have added to his tally? I'm sure the clinic would be in meltdown. I don't understand the hatred at times towards a few teams, not just sky.


Being annoyingly smug about their superiority in every facet of the sport and then all of the little catch phrases to describe their one-of-a-kind preparation techniques (Marginal gains being the most annoying), that border on the ludicrous and leans toward generally insulting the intelligence of the avid, experienced cycling fan. I could go on and on but I'd likely only be repeating what has already been posted prior to my own post.

I actually like some of their riders. It's just unfortunate that they ride for this team.


Exactly. It is the way they're selling themselves which causes red spots on people's necks. If they were just a bunch of aggressive, bullying British guys I could actually like them. But there is absolutely nothing aggressive about Team Sky. They're talking and riding in that silly cautious way, "oh it was so stressful today but the objective was to retain the jersey and the team did a terrific job" please stop it! They act like it is completely normal that they always have that goddamn yellow jersey and ride upfront and have just to be attentive on their SRM numbers.
Pennino
Junior Member
 
Posts: 292
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 21:12
Location: Haarlem, the Netherlands

14 Mar 2017 21:39

Thomas looking very, very good for the Giro.
User avatar BYOP88
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,762
Joined: 26 May 2009 17:12

Re:

15 Mar 2017 00:25

BYOP88 wrote:Thomas looking very, very good for the Giro.


I think stage 18 will do him in, if he's still in contention before that.
User avatar SlickMongoose
Member
 
Posts: 564
Joined: 17 Sep 2014 19:26

17 Mar 2017 16:41

rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,121
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re: Re:

17 Mar 2017 16:46

SlickMongoose wrote:
BYOP88 wrote:Thomas looking very, very good for the Giro.


I think stage 18 will do him in, if he's still in contention before that.

Depends on what you mean by being in contention. If Thomas keeps it together he could podium. I do think that hanging on close enough to threaten Quintana is out of question
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,855
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

17 Mar 2017 17:45

Catalunya Team

Froome
Deignen
Landa
Rosa
Thomas
Kennaugh
Kiri
Nieve

What is the TTT like, is it hilly?
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,338
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

Re:

17 Mar 2017 17:50

del1962 wrote:Catalunya Team

Froome
Deignen
Landa
Rosa
Thomas
Kennaugh
Kiri
Nieve

What is the TTT like, is it hilly?



that's a pretty strong team
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,121
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

17 Mar 2017 17:56

Poels still injured?
User avatar Ricco'
Member
 
Posts: 1,213
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:41
Location: Coimbra, Portugal

17 Mar 2017 19:08

Seems that way, - Poels Injured

profile of TTT

Image
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,338
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

17 Mar 2017 19:24

Thomas has a really good chance to win the overall
I'm assuming Froome will be a bit below par here as usual
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,113
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

17 Mar 2017 22:24

Still confused, Sky has a lot of better time trialists available, but maybe its more hilly than I expect. Thomas/Froome/Landa to have equal opportunities, but Thomas seems the one in best shape
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,356
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

18 Mar 2017 09:32

Valv.Piti wrote:Still confused, Sky has a lot of better time trialists available, but maybe its more hilly than I expect. Thomas/Froome/Landa to have equal opportunities, but Thomas seems the one in best shape

There are other races on the calendar. Catalunya is obviously not their sole objective.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,113
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

18 Mar 2017 09:38

Yes, the classics make for a tricky selection. I guess it isn't too bad.

Anyways, does anybody know whats up with Intxausti?
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,356
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

18 Mar 2017 18:18

2nd monument, well done Sky
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,121
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re: Re:

18 Mar 2017 18:28

rick james wrote:
del1962 wrote:Catalunya Team

Froome
Deignen
Landa
Rosa
Thomas
Kennaugh
Kiri
Nieve

What is the TTT like, is it hilly?



that's a pretty strong team

Do they ever show up to a sr with a weak team? :p
User avatar jaylew
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,500
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 05:46
Location: ATX

Re:

18 Mar 2017 18:29

rick james wrote:2nd monument, well done Sky

Kwiatkowski was just covering a move by Sagan, as a good teammate of Rowe and Viviani's. The plan was not to send a rider out on the Poggio but to take their chances in a bunch sprint.

Yes, it was a team effort by Sky and well deserved. Chapeau.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,067
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Re:

18 Mar 2017 20:04

Irondan wrote:
rick james wrote:2nd monument, well done Sky

Kwiatkowski was just covering a move by Sagan, as a good teammate of Rowe and Viviani's. The plan was not to send a rider out on the Poggio but to take their chances in a bunch sprint.

Yes, it was a team effort by Sky and well deserved. Chapeau.


Well if that was actually their plan, then it was a stupid one. Viviani's chances were always less than Kwiatkowski's. Kudo's to Kwiatkowski.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,103
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re: Re:

18 Mar 2017 20:15

Jspear wrote:
Irondan wrote:
rick james wrote:2nd monument, well done Sky

Kwiatkowski was just covering a move by Sagan, as a good teammate of Rowe and Viviani's. The plan was not to send a rider out on the Poggio but to take their chances in a bunch sprint.

Yes, it was a team effort by Sky and well deserved. Chapeau.


Well if that was actually their plan, then it was a stupid one. Viviani's chances were always less than Kwiatkowski's. Kudo's to Kwiatkowski.

I don't know what the plan was going into the race, Kwiat said that they assumed it was going to end in a bunch sprint, and then Sagan went on the attack which drew out Kwiatkowski.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,067
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

18 Mar 2017 20:30

So Sky only won because one rider was smart enough to not ride according to their plan that would've won them nothing. Naturally
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,855
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: Re:

18 Mar 2017 21:02

Irondan wrote:
rick james wrote:2nd monument, well done Sky

Kwiatkowski was just covering a move by Sagan, as a good teammate of Rowe and Viviani's. The plan was not to send a rider out on the Poggio but to take their chances in a bunch sprint.

Yes, it was a team effort by Sky and well deserved. Chapeau.


Which I found odd as a in form Kwiatkowski was always Skys best shot at winning. Neither Viviani nor Rowe could win a bunch sprint.

Good ride by Kwiatkowski though.
User avatar rote_laterne
Member
 
Posts: 374
Joined: 06 Jan 2014 20:21

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Avoriaz, Google Adsense [Bot], liamito and 29 guests

Back to top