Register

Team Sky Discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: peloton, Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

19 Mar 2017 00:30

rote_laterne wrote:
Irondan wrote:
rick james wrote:2nd monument, well done Sky

Kwiatkowski was just covering a move by Sagan, as a good teammate of Rowe and Viviani's. The plan was not to send a rider out on the Poggio but to take their chances in a bunch sprint.

Yes, it was a team effort by Sky and well deserved. Chapeau.

Which I found odd as a in form Kwiatkowski was always Skys best shot at winning. Neither Viviani nor Rowe could win a bunch sprint.

Good ride by Kwiatkowski though.

They had two leaders, Viviani for a sprint and Kwiatkowski if there were attacks. I don't know why one would think they were also riding for Rowe, he was a domestique here and was on the front at the bottom of the Poggio.
Vasilis

Re:

19 Mar 2017 04:33

Red Rick wrote:So Sky only won because one rider was smart enough to not ride according to their plan that would've won them nothing. Naturally

Agree as if Viviani was going to out sprint Kristoff and Gaviria and the others when he has come second best to them on a number of occasions. Had it been Swift, it would be another thing if the race was super hard. But what happened to him in this race?
IndianCyclist

19 Mar 2017 05:13

IndianCyclist wrote:
Red Rick wrote:So Sky only won because one rider was smart enough to not ride according to their plan that would've won them nothing. Naturally

Agree as if Viviani was going to out sprint Kristoff and Gaviria and the others when he has come second best to them on a number of occasions. Had it been Swift, it would be another thing if the race was super hard. But what happened to him in this race?

Not really the way Red Rick puts it. Sky went in with 2 leaders: Kwiato as well as Viviani. Luke Rowe from http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/milan-san-remo-viviani-and-kwiatkowski-lead-team-sky-as-rowe-waits-for-belgium/:
"Viviani can hopefully hang in there and produce a sprint. Then we have Kwiatkowski, who is a bit of a joker card, and we saw last year how strong he was. Hopefully he can spice the race up," Rowe told Cyclingnews.

"From then on, it's me and Stannard as Thomas and Kwiatkowski have chosen not to race any other classics. It'll be me and Ian with joint leadership for the remaining four Classics."

I think its natural to hedge their bets on 2 riders than just Viviani.
Props to Sagan for going though.

Sky going really well with wins in Strade, Paris Nice and MSR. G Thomas would've podiumed or would have been fighting for the top spot had it not been for that disastrous TTT.

Onto Catalunya now. I think Froome to have a much better form than this forum expects though.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

19 Mar 2017 10:44

That sounds right - Orica planned for Gerrans to attack on the Poggio, but that plan changed once Cort and Ewan were still in the lead group.
yaco

Re:

19 Mar 2017 10:58

No, Sky went in with two leaders, one for a bunch sprint and one for an attack on the Poggio. Kwiatkowski even said before the race he was looking to attack there.
Brullnux

19 Mar 2017 11:00

Brullnux wrote:

No, Sky went in with two leaders, one for a bunch sprint and one for an attack on the Poggio. Kwiatkowski even said before the race he was looking to attack there.

And after the race he said he didn't.
kingjr

19 Mar 2017 11:09

kingjr wrote:
Brullnux wrote:

Maybe he felt if he had a go he coudnt make a difference. Who knows?
When he saw Sagan go, he had the legs to follow which is all that matters.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

19 Mar 2017 11:39

kingjr wrote:
Brullnux wrote:

You can't take back what you said after a race. Here's the link:

http://video.gazzetta.it/milano-sanremo-kwiatkowski-c-interesse-rendere-corsa-veloce/2768e62c-0bbe-11e7-be7a-6f6e08ed7cdc
Brullnux

19 Mar 2017 11:47

You can always change your mind during the race
kingjr

19 Mar 2017 12:21

silvergrenade wrote:
kingjr wrote:
Brullnux wrote:

Maybe he felt if he had a go he coudnt make a difference. Who knows?
When he saw Sagan go, he had the legs to follow which is all that matters.

to some it doesn't...Sagan is the moral winner :lol:
rick james

Re:

19 Mar 2017 13:02

kingjr wrote:You can always change your mind during the race

Yeah but that doesn't change the fact that having Kwiatkowski follow attacks on the Poggio was the inital plan, and therefore the criticism of sky's plan is completely unwarranted.
Brullnux

19 Mar 2017 13:19

Brullnux wrote:

Yeah but that doesn't change the fact that having Kwiatkowski follow attacks on the Poggio was the inital plan, and therefore the criticism of sky's plan is completely unwarranted.

I thought the inital plan was for Kwiatkowski to attack himself.
kingjr

19 Mar 2017 14:16

kingjr wrote:
Brullnux wrote:

In the video he said that he will have to be there (in the front group) after an attack. But that could easily mean that it is his attack. Either way we are basically in agreement.
Brullnux

19 Mar 2017 14:28

Brullnux wrote:
kingjr wrote:
Brullnux wrote:

In the video he said that he will have to be there (in the front group) after an attack. But that could easily mean that it is his attack. Either way we are basically in agreement.
That's good, I'll settle for that :p
kingjr

22 Mar 2017 19:51

will Peter Kennaugh head to the Giro? he looked good today
rick james

22 Mar 2017 19:53

never mind.....I found out what he wants to do

'I always have a bad April and I don't know why'
Kennaugh hopes to ride both the Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta a España this season. He will race alongside Chris Froome at the Volta a Catalunya next week – "the first race where I want to be in really good shape" – hoping to prove his worth, all the while crossing his fingers that he'd done enough to banish those curious April blues.
"That April period last year I was just like so fatigued and low energy, just struggling to train really – never mind race. I kind of have that sort of period most years in April. I don't know why," Kennaugh explained.
"I don't even know what it is. I'm not sure if it's maybe a little case of overtraining in December, January and February. It can all catch up on you sometimes when you're trying to push everything a bit too much. So I'm just trying to monitor things better, and just try and knock that one on the head."
He hopes his decision to start his season in Europe – after two years in Australia – will help in that respect. And it's problem that is in need of instant rectification, because Kennaugh's spot in Sky's nine-man line-up for the Giro is far from guaranteed.
"On this team every Grand Tour is a bit of a battle to get selected for," he acknowledged, noting that there are around 12 riders in the frame for the corsa rosa.
"Last year I obviously started really good in Aus', with the win and stuff, but I just put so much work in that I sort of became a bit unstuck in April, so I'm just trying to change that a bit really, just start everything a bit later, a bit more stress-free. Just trying to just be a bit more consistent throughout the year.
"I want to prove myself in Catalunya, then let the legs do the talking in Trentino [Tour of the Alps], and that should sort the place on the team for the Giro."
rick james

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

26 Mar 2017 15:27

Very poor E3 and GW. Leaders not going well at all and a lot of passengers in the team.
JRanton

26 Mar 2017 15:30

JRanton wrote:Very poor E3 and GW. Leaders not going well at all and a lot of passengers in the team.

Yes, with no Thomas and Kwiatko they were always going to struggle. Guys like Rowe and Stannard are strong, but they seem much more suited to Roubaix than the short, sharps hills of Flanders.
User avatar Pricey_sky

26 Mar 2017 16:00

Pricey_sky wrote:
JRanton wrote:Very poor E3 and GW. Leaders not going well at all and a lot of passengers in the team.

Yes, with no Thomas and Kwiatko they were always going to struggle. Guys like Rowe and Stannard are strong, but they seem much more suited to Roubaix than the short, sharps hills of Flanders.

Agreed but the most concerning thing was Rowe getting dropped on a flat gravel section by a 50-60 man group and Stannard not looking great there either. There's some talk that Rowe has a knee injury.
JRanton

02 Apr 2017 15:24

Pretty poor cobbled classics campaign hampered mainly by bad luck. Rowe might have had a chance without that crash. Moscon was looking good though. As for Stannard, he seems to be doing very poorly this year. Has never been in the group of favourites
therealthing

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing