Log in:  

Register

Team Sky Discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

21 Sep 2018 21:35

rick james wrote:And I wasn’t in the Vuelta as much because life got rather busy, dealing with a 18 week old baby boy takes its toll in other things in life


I have weirdly and very happily found that my baby daughter is pleasantly stupefied by televised cycling. That and snooker. I’ve never given a rats anus about snooker before, but now I think it’s a cultural treasure that should be on 24 hours a day.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,437
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

21 Sep 2018 22:15

These discussions are getting silly. I usually don't like to write a post in a "I am right and you are wrong way", I usually want to make arguments and be open to other opinions, but I've reached the point of thinking, why should I even care about this nonsense.
I'm usually rather bad at picking riders I become a fan of, as they usually don't live up to the expectations. Nibali is pretty much the only rider who won big races while I called myself a fan of him (and I only became a fan of him after he had already won big races), while I became a Contador fan in 2016 and rooted for Andy Schleck for his whole career. But then again since my childhood I find myself rooting for Real Madrid, and as a big Austrian alpine skiing fan I've always rooted for Marcel Hirscher. Real Madrid won four of the last 5 champions league titles and Marcel Hirscher won the overall world cup (the biggest thing you can win as an alpine skier) for unprecedented 7 times in a row. I'm still happy when they win, but to be honest, even I hope a different team will win the Champions League this year and if Hirscher doesn't win his 8th title in a row I definitely won't be mad and you know why? Because even I find that kind of dominance boring.
Yet year after year I find myself arguing with sky fans trying to find ways to explain why I'm not a big supporter of their team and at the same time trying not to be subjective but to look at things in a completely neutral way, because hey, everyone can have his opinion, right? And again it's fall and I'm staring at my screen in disbelief reading that the next big talented climber just terminated a seemingly already done deal with trek because he might now also want to join sky. Bernal, Sivakov, Sosa, I think if Sky somehow gets Evenepoel to sign for them they might have a bingo.
The thing is though, as many have written, the problem is not what sky is doing with their money, it's that they have so much money. As great as Bernal has been so far, this amount of money for a 21 year old is insane, but for them it's reasonable because as they have the money, why shouldn't they use it. As annoying as this disparity is and although it still makes me angry, I have accepted it. However what I do not accept and what motivated me to write this post is the ridiculous position the sky fans once again take in this discussion. Because they don't want to understand why what their team is doing is bad for the sport, because while I always tried to consider their opinions just like the opinion of anyone else, they apparently don't give a f*ck about what anyone else thinks and take their own opinion as granted. "The 2018 tour got rated way lower than the 2018 Vuelta? Oh f*ck it, that's nonsense, just admit the tour was better, just be honest" "Sosa might join Bernal at sky next season? Oh how beautiful it will be to watch sky throwing money at him while he is only the 6th last men for Froome in the next boring tdf mountain stage" Never do I find any posts by sky fans admitting that although they root for whoever sits in 2nd to last position of the train, the strength of the team is boring for the sport. Nowhere a spark of understanding. So are there just no sky fans who care about more than just their guy winning, are they too full of themselves to admit that, are they all just delusional or are they simply all trolls? What the f*ck is wrong with the fanbase of that team, serious question, what the f*ck is wrong?
I'm sorry for losing my patience and I will probably regret posting this tomorrow, but I just couldn't hold this back. This whole debate is just annoying and in reality a discussion between people who love a sport and people who love a team.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,772
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Re:

21 Sep 2018 22:36

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
rick james wrote:And I wasn’t in the Vuelta as much because life got rather busy, dealing with a 18 week old baby boy takes its toll in other things in life


I have weirdly and very happily found that my baby daughter is pleasantly stupefied by televised cycling. That and snooker. I’ve never given a rats anus about snooker before, but now I think it’s a cultural treasure that should be on 24 hours a day.

Yes, my boy could sit and watch the cycling for hours, I think it’s the colours of the jerseys that he can see, and with them being fast moving it catches his attention
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,459
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

21 Sep 2018 23:37

The Bolsheviks won't be happy, but a nice perk of being a SKY stagiaire:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn-_jYzlUMu/?hl=en&taken-by=ethanhayter
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,633
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

21 Sep 2018 23:48

oldcrank wrote:The Bolsheviks won't be happy, but a nice perk of being a SKY stagiaire:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn-_jYzlUMu/?hl=en&taken-by=ethanhayter

Sweet baby Jesus and the baby orphans, bike porn alert
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,459
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 01:50

oldcrank wrote:The Bolsheviks won't be happy, but a nice perk of being a SKY stagiaire:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn-_jYzlUMu/?hl=en&taken-by=ethanhayter


I'm so glad you've shown your true colours
Breh
Member
 
Posts: 903
Joined: 24 Jun 2015 14:57

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 06:29

Gigs_98 wrote:And again it's fall and I'm staring at my screen in disbelief reading that the next big talented climber just terminated a seemingly already done deal with trek because he might now also want to join sky. Bernal, Sivakov, Sosa, I think if Sky somehow gets Evenepoel to sign for them they might have a bingo.

They also did try to sign Evenepoel :Neutral:
Agree with the rest of your post. If I read here that someone finds it amusing that a Sky domestique is toying with all the other teams leaders, then I find myself wondering if that person actually is a cycling fan. It really is becoming ridiculous.
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,581
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

22 Sep 2018 06:38

The annoying thing is every world tour team has the money for a genuine gc contender. The way sky race you don't even need support in the TDF.
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 1,136
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 07:01

Robert5091 wrote:
But please, be honest and admit, TdF was much more entertaining than Vuelta...


I think you need to go back and watch the first week of TdF again ... zzzzzz ....

The Vuelta was boring for SkyBot because Sky were donkey crap.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,595
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 08:59

LaFlorecita wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:
But please, be honest and admit, TdF was much more entertaining than Vuelta...


I think you need to go back and watch the first week of TdF again ... zzzzzz ....

The Vuelta was boring for SkyBot because Sky were donkey crap.

can't win them all, 2 out of 3 isn't that bad a return
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,459
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 09:21

rick james wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:
But please, be honest and admit, TdF was much more entertaining than Vuelta...


I think you need to go back and watch the first week of TdF again ... zzzzzz ....

The Vuelta was boring for SkyBot because Sky were donkey crap.

can't win them all, 2 out of 3 isn't that bad a return

There is no need to reply to sb who admitted during Finestre stage: "I hate him".
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot
Member
 
Posts: 1,082
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 12:52

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 10:11

rick james wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:
But please, be honest and admit, TdF was much more entertaining than Vuelta...


I think you need to go back and watch the first week of TdF again ... zzzzzz ....

The Vuelta was boring for SkyBot because Sky were donkey crap.

can't win them all, 2 out of 3 isn't that bad a return

Indeed it is not
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,595
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

22 Sep 2018 18:32

Looks like Comcast will own Team Sky -
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-22/comcast-muscles-fox-aside-with-39-billion-offer-for-sky?srnd=premium-europe
Comcast Corp. bid highest in a quick-fire auction of Sky Plc, dealing Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox Inc. a potential knock-out blow in their battle for Europe’s largest satellite broadcaster.

The U.S. cable TV provider offered 17.28 pounds a share for London-based Sky, compared with Fox’s 15.67-pound bid, the U.K. Takeover Panel said Saturday. Comcast’s proposal values Sky at 29.7 billion pounds ($39 billion). A victory over Fox, however, won’t be sealed unless Sky investors tender their shares by an Oct. 11 deadline.

If Comcast’s bid is enough to clinch Sky, Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts will emerge as a global TV power after conceding ownership of most of Fox’s entertainment assets in a separate bidding war to his rival, Walt Disney Co.’s Bob Iger. Comcast would also win a rare opportunity to diversify beyond the U.S. and gain global scale to compete with video streaming giant Netflix Inc.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,164
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 18:50

Gigs_98 wrote:These discussions are getting silly. I usually don't like to write a post in a "I am right and you are wrong way", I usually want to make arguments and be open to other opinions, but I've reached the point of thinking, why should I even care about this nonsense.
I'm usually rather bad at picking riders I become a fan of, as they usually don't live up to the expectations. Nibali is pretty much the only rider who won big races while I called myself a fan of him (and I only became a fan of him after he had already won big races), while I became a Contador fan in 2016 and rooted for Andy Schleck for his whole career. But then again since my childhood I find myself rooting for Real Madrid, and as a big Austrian alpine skiing fan I've always rooted for Marcel Hirscher. Real Madrid won four of the last 5 champions league titles and Marcel Hirscher won the overall world cup (the biggest thing you can win as an alpine skier) for unprecedented 7 times in a row. I'm still happy when they win, but to be honest, even I hope a different team will win the Champions League this year and if Hirscher doesn't win his 8th title in a row I definitely won't be mad and you know why? Because even I find that kind of dominance boring.
Yet year after year I find myself arguing with sky fans trying to find ways to explain why I'm not a big supporter of their team and at the same time trying not to be subjective but to look at things in a completely neutral way, because hey, everyone can have his opinion, right? And again it's fall and I'm staring at my screen in disbelief reading that the next big talented climber just terminated a seemingly already done deal with trek because he might now also want to join sky. Bernal, Sivakov, Sosa, I think if Sky somehow gets Evenepoel to sign for them they might have a bingo.
The thing is though, as many have written, the problem is not what sky is doing with their money, it's that they have so much money. As great as Bernal has been so far, this amount of money for a 21 year old is insane, but for them it's reasonable because as they have the money, why shouldn't they use it. As annoying as this disparity is and although it still makes me angry, I have accepted it. However what I do not accept and what motivated me to write this post is the ridiculous position the sky fans once again take in this discussion. Because they don't want to understand why what their team is doing is bad for the sport, because while I always tried to consider their opinions just like the opinion of anyone else, they apparently don't give a f*ck about what anyone else thinks and take their own opinion as granted. "The 2018 tour got rated way lower than the 2018 Vuelta? Oh f*ck it, that's nonsense, just admit the tour was better, just be honest" "Sosa might join Bernal at sky next season? Oh how beautiful it will be to watch sky throwing money at him while he is only the 6th last men for Froome in the next boring tdf mountain stage" Never do I find any posts by sky fans admitting that although they root for whoever sits in 2nd to last position of the train, the strength of the team is boring for the sport. Nowhere a spark of understanding. So are there just no sky fans who care about more than just their guy winning, are they too full of themselves to admit that, are they all just delusional or are they simply all trolls? What the f*ck is wrong with the fanbase of that team, serious question, what the f*ck is wrong?
I'm sorry for losing my patience and I will probably regret posting this tomorrow, but I just couldn't hold this back. This whole debate is just annoying and in reality a discussion between people who love a sport and people who love a team.

You can't argue taste.

I'm not gonna tell you Contador should've been your favorite rider all alnog.

But I really think that to like Sky it takes a mentality based principles that I so vehemently disagree with.

If I think of why I like cycling, and what principles in sport I care about, an reason from that, there is no subjectivity, they're objectively terrible for my idea of cycling. And I also feel that if you like Sky, then what the hell do you even like about cycling or sport in general?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,699
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 19:03

The same as above:
There is no need to reply to sb who admitted during Finestre stage: "I'm out".
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot
Member
 
Posts: 1,082
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 12:52

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 19:11

Gigs_98 wrote:These discussions are getting silly. I usually don't like to write a post in a "I am right and you are wrong way", I usually want to make arguments and be open to other opinions, but I've reached the point of thinking, why should I even care about this nonsense.
I'm usually rather bad at picking riders I become a fan of, as they usually don't live up to the expectations. Nibali is pretty much the only rider who won big races while I called myself a fan of him (and I only became a fan of him after he had already won big races), while I became a Contador fan in 2016 and rooted for Andy Schleck for his whole career. But then again since my childhood I find myself rooting for Real Madrid, and as a big Austrian alpine skiing fan I've always rooted for Marcel Hirscher. Real Madrid won four of the last 5 champions league titles and Marcel Hirscher won the overall world cup (the biggest thing you can win as an alpine skier) for unprecedented 7 times in a row. I'm still happy when they win, but to be honest, even I hope a different team will win the Champions League this year and if Hirscher doesn't win his 8th title in a row I definitely won't be mad and you know why? Because even I find that kind of dominance boring.
Yet year after year I find myself arguing with sky fans trying to find ways to explain why I'm not a big supporter of their team and at the same time trying not to be subjective but to look at things in a completely neutral way, because hey, everyone can have his opinion, right? And again it's fall and I'm staring at my screen in disbelief reading that the next big talented climber just terminated a seemingly already done deal with trek because he might now also want to join sky. Bernal, Sivakov, Sosa, I think if Sky somehow gets Evenepoel to sign for them they might have a bingo.
The thing is though, as many have written, the problem is not what sky is doing with their money, it's that they have so much money. As great as Bernal has been so far, this amount of money for a 21 year old is insane, but for them it's reasonable because as they have the money, why shouldn't they use it. As annoying as this disparity is and although it still makes me angry, I have accepted it. However what I do not accept and what motivated me to write this post is the ridiculous position the sky fans once again take in this discussion. Because they don't want to understand why what their team is doing is bad for the sport, because while I always tried to consider their opinions just like the opinion of anyone else, they apparently don't give a f*ck about what anyone else thinks and take their own opinion as granted. "The 2018 tour got rated way lower than the 2018 Vuelta? Oh f*ck it, that's nonsense, just admit the tour was better, just be honest" "Sosa might join Bernal at sky next season? Oh how beautiful it will be to watch sky throwing money at him while he is only the 6th last men for Froome in the next boring tdf mountain stage" Never do I find any posts by sky fans admitting that although they root for whoever sits in 2nd to last position of the train, the strength of the team is boring for the sport. Nowhere a spark of understanding. So are there just no sky fans who care about more than just their guy winning, are they too full of themselves to admit that, are they all just delusional or are they simply all trolls? What the f*ck is wrong with the fanbase of that team, serious question, what the f*ck is wrong?
I'm sorry for losing my patience and I will probably regret posting this tomorrow, but I just couldn't hold this back. This whole debate is just annoying and in reality a discussion between people who love a sport and people who love a team.


No need to regret anything you wrote, you're pretty much preaching to the choir here. Anyone with an ounce of dignity and decency left can only be thoroughly disgusted with the kind of greed and arrogance Sky are displaying.

For all the problems cycling has with teams folding left and right on all levels, I would actually be really happy if Team Sky would disappear. They are gradually taking the sporting element out of the sport of cycling, they have become that cancerous.
User avatar Põhja Konn
Member
 
Posts: 471
Joined: 01 Sep 2012 17:09

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 19:15

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:The same as above:
There is no need to reply to sb who admitted during Finestre stage: "I'm out".


Pretty easy to play that card, thus avoiding displaying the impossibility of explaining why you enjoy watching Sky suffocating almost every Grand Tour.
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,112
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 19:30

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:The same as above:
There is no need to reply to sb who admitted during Finestre stage: "I'm out".

Why not.

We're finally getting to something interesting.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,699
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 19:44

tobydawq wrote:
Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:The same as above:
There is no need to reply to sb who admitted during Finestre stage: "I'm out".


Pretty easy to play that card, thus avoiding displaying the impossibility of explaining why you enjoy watching Sky suffocating almost every Grand Tour.

I was asked the same question some months ago (probably by Brullnux?) and I think I fully explained it. No reason to repeat the answer.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot
Member
 
Posts: 1,082
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 12:52

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

22 Sep 2018 19:48

Põhja Konn wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:These discussions are getting silly. I usually don't like to write a post in a "I am right and you are wrong way", I usually want to make arguments and be open to other opinions, but I've reached the point of thinking, why should I even care about this nonsense.
I'm usually rather bad at picking riders I become a fan of, as they usually don't live up to the expectations. Nibali is pretty much the only rider who won big races while I called myself a fan of him (and I only became a fan of him after he had already won big races), while I became a Contador fan in 2016 and rooted for Andy Schleck for his whole career. But then again since my childhood I find myself rooting for Real Madrid, and as a big Austrian alpine skiing fan I've always rooted for Marcel Hirscher. Real Madrid won four of the last 5 champions league titles and Marcel Hirscher won the overall world cup (the biggest thing you can win as an alpine skier) for unprecedented 7 times in a row. I'm still happy when they win, but to be honest, even I hope a different team will win the Champions League this year and if Hirscher doesn't win his 8th title in a row I definitely won't be mad and you know why? Because even I find that kind of dominance boring.
Yet year after year I find myself arguing with sky fans trying to find ways to explain why I'm not a big supporter of their team and at the same time trying not to be subjective but to look at things in a completely neutral way, because hey, everyone can have his opinion, right? And again it's fall and I'm staring at my screen in disbelief reading that the next big talented climber just terminated a seemingly already done deal with trek because he might now also want to join sky. Bernal, Sivakov, Sosa, I think if Sky somehow gets Evenepoel to sign for them they might have a bingo.
The thing is though, as many have written, the problem is not what sky is doing with their money, it's that they have so much money. As great as Bernal has been so far, this amount of money for a 21 year old is insane, but for them it's reasonable because as they have the money, why shouldn't they use it. As annoying as this disparity is and although it still makes me angry, I have accepted it. However what I do not accept and what motivated me to write this post is the ridiculous position the sky fans once again take in this discussion. Because they don't want to understand why what their team is doing is bad for the sport, because while I always tried to consider their opinions just like the opinion of anyone else, they apparently don't give a f*ck about what anyone else thinks and take their own opinion as granted. "The 2018 tour got rated way lower than the 2018 Vuelta? Oh f*ck it, that's nonsense, just admit the tour was better, just be honest" "Sosa might join Bernal at sky next season? Oh how beautiful it will be to watch sky throwing money at him while he is only the 6th last men for Froome in the next boring tdf mountain stage" Never do I find any posts by sky fans admitting that although they root for whoever sits in 2nd to last position of the train, the strength of the team is boring for the sport. Nowhere a spark of understanding. So are there just no sky fans who care about more than just their guy winning, are they too full of themselves to admit that, are they all just delusional or are they simply all trolls? What the f*ck is wrong with the fanbase of that team, serious question, what the f*ck is wrong?
I'm sorry for losing my patience and I will probably regret posting this tomorrow, but I just couldn't hold this back. This whole debate is just annoying and in reality a discussion between people who love a sport and people who love a team.


No need to regret anything you wrote, you're pretty much preaching to the choir here. Anyone with an ounce of dignity and decency left can only be thoroughly disgusted with the kind of greed and arrogance Sky are displaying.

For all the problems cycling has with teams folding left and right on all levels, I would actually be really happy if Team Sky would disappear. They are gradually taking the sporting element out of the sport of cycling, they have become that cancerous.

Boring, but the same as above:
There is no need to reply to sb who admitted during Finestre stage: "It was a brilliant race up until yesterday, today it has turned into a complete farce".

Now, I'm out (till tomorrow :razz: ).
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot
Member
 
Posts: 1,082
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 12:52

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: archa55, dubexcalibur, Google Adsense [Bot], Rollthedice, The Tristero and 41 guests

Back to top