Register

Team Sky Discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

21 Oct 2018 11:33

A lot of Nibali's fans cheer for him in part because he is the under dog. If he became utterly dominant we'd cheer for some other under dog. Sport is competition and we need competition where the outcome is not utterly predictable.
topcat

21 Oct 2018 11:37

Team Sky in itself isn't a problem for Cycling, as I feel like Cycling as a whole would be in a much better state if there were bigger sponsors getting involved.

Speaking as a Sky fan however, the imbalance is a problem. When one team dominates, the sport does get boring. It's the same in the Classics with Quickstep who have a plethora of talent that does take some element of excitement away from the races.

You can't blame Sky for the imbalance, but close races make for entertainment and more fans.
Hayabusa

Re:

21 Oct 2018 19:47

Hayabusa wrote:Team Sky in itself isn't a problem for Cycling, as I feel like Cycling as a whole would be in a much better state if there were bigger sponsors getting involved.

Speaking as a Sky fan however, the imbalance is a problem. When one team dominates, the sport does get boring. It's the same in the Classics with Quickstep who have a plethora of talent that does take some element of excitement away from the races.

You can't blame Sky for the imbalance, but close races make for entertainment and more fans.

But other than Sky, Quickstep cant hold their talents for long. Kwiatkowski, Cavendish, Kittel,Trentin, Schachmann, De Plus, Uran and Terpstra left all for more money elsewhere. When was the last good Sky rider that left for a better contract with another team?
User avatar Akuryo

Re: Re:

21 Oct 2018 19:54

Akuryo wrote:
Hayabusa wrote:Team Sky in itself isn't a problem for Cycling, as I feel like Cycling as a whole would be in a much better state if there were bigger sponsors getting involved.

But other than Sky, Quickstep cant hold their talents for long. Kwiatkowski, Cavendish, Kittel,Trentin, Schachmann, De Plus, Uran and Terpstra left all for more money elsewhere. When was the last good Sky rider that left for a better contract with another team?

Cav and Viviani

Gerrans was average and he went very good at Orica
pastronef

21 Oct 2018 20:16

Uran, Rogers, Landa, debatable EBH.
User avatar SHAD0W93

21 Oct 2018 20:53

pastronef wrote:
Akuryo wrote:

Cav and Viviani

Was that for better contract or because Sky chose to focus more on stage racing gc?
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

21 Oct 2018 20:54

Porte, maybe Nieve, Henao this year, König, Van Poppel? Although Henao hasn't been so good recently.
Vasilis

21 Oct 2018 21:05

Henao hasn't left yet.
User avatar GuyIncognito

21 Oct 2018 21:16

I wouldn't count Konig as he hasn't done anything since leaving due to injury. Same with Van Poppel. I forgot Porte and Neive.
Cav left due to receiving zero support and Sky let him terminate his contract with no issue.
User avatar SHAD0W93

21 Oct 2018 22:12

Angliru wrote:
pastronef wrote:
Akuryo wrote:

Cav and Viviani

Was that for better contract or because Sky chose to focus more on stage racing gc?

Viviani was making more money at Sky. He just wasn't happy there. I remember something about not many opportunities which is why he went back to a larger focus on track while there.
User avatar Koronin

21 Oct 2018 22:58

Well, I just want to ask one question.. Is there a rider that Sky really wanted to keep and they didn't (talking JUST about money reasons, necause I think some riders left Sky in pursue of their own chances)? Maybe Nieve but I think there were some personal reasons for him.
YavorD

Re:

21 Oct 2018 23:32

YavorD wrote:Well, I just want to ask one question.. Is there a rider that Sky really wanted to keep and they didn't (talking JUST about money reasons, necause I think some riders left Sky in pursue of their own chances)? Maybe Nieve but I think there were some personal reasons for him.

My understanding of why Nieve left was he wanted a new/different challenge.
User avatar Koronin

22 Oct 2018 01:49

Koronin wrote:
Angliru wrote:
pastronef wrote:
Akuryo wrote:

Cav and Viviani

Viviani was making more money at Sky. He just wasn't happy there. I remember something about not many opportunities which is why he went back to a larger focus on track while there.

Actually Viviani went to Sky because was the only team that allowed him to ride on the track how much he wanted, even if that hampered his results on the road, and they fully support him in that.

I don't think it's a coincidence that a rider with a focus on Tokyo like Ganna now has signed with them, at UAE weren't happy with him focusing on the track. But with him we should also take in account his long term aim to become also a weeklong stage racer, something that probably only Sky can accomplish.
Nirvana

22 Oct 2018 04:36

Koronin wrote:
YavorD wrote:Well, I just want to ask one question.. Is there a rider that Sky really wanted to keep and they didn't (talking JUST about money reasons, necause I think some riders left Sky in pursue of their own chances)? Maybe Nieve but I think there were some personal reasons for him.

Nieve was given a contract that Sky couldn't match.
yaco

22 Oct 2018 10:12

yaco wrote:
Koronin wrote:

Nieve was given a contract that Sky couldn't match.

Financially speaking, they could. But they decided they wouldn’t match it.
User avatar Pricey_sky

22 Oct 2018 11:00

I just wondered, what has happened to Diego Rosa? (injuries, getting sick?) He was good when at Astana some years ago.
User avatar Simurgh

Re:

22 Oct 2018 11:26

Simurgh wrote:I just wondered, what has happened to Diego Rosa? (injuries, getting sick?) He was good when at Astana some years ago.

he had epstein-barr virus
pastronef

22 Oct 2018 11:31

pastronef wrote:
Simurgh wrote:I just wondered, what has happened to Diego Rosa? (injuries, getting sick?) He was good when at Astana some years ago.

he had epstein-barr virus

then he rode a pretty full season, up to and including Il Lombardia
https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/diego-rosa
Tim Booth

Re:

22 Oct 2018 11:51

Won the Coppi Bartali and was probably unlucky due to GT team reductions.
MatParker117

Previous

Return to Professional road racing