Register

Team Sky Discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

09 Jan 2019 16:12

yaco wrote:Could one of these potential sponsors end up at Mitchelton Scott - After all, Gerry Ryan has committed funding for 2 more years and the Chinese option seems to have fallen off the table.

Does Gerry Ryan have seven grand tour wins under contract for two years, a bunch of top prospects, elite support riders and staff, plus one of the largest media companies paying for 70% of the budget for two years?
MatParker117

Re:

09 Jan 2019 16:45

MatParker117 wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/could-a-us-millionaire-save-team-sky/

Pinarello-Israel Cycling Academy?

but Sylvan Adams is an Israeli-Canadian-Jewish billionaire not a US. EDIT'' i would bet on Kevin Systrom, the cofounder of Instagram.'' he rides a bike himself and already trained with Team Sky in 2017 https://www.instagram.com/p/BXgOIAiAI5d/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
CTQ

09 Jan 2019 17:40

Thomas is going to struggle to be ready for the Tour never mind the Giro
rick james

Re: Re:

09 Jan 2019 19:02

MatParker117 wrote:
yaco wrote:Could one of these potential sponsors end up at Mitchelton Scott - After all, Gerry Ryan has committed funding for 2 more years and the Chinese option seems to have fallen off the table.

Does Gerry Ryan have seven grand tour wins under contract for two years, a bunch of top prospects, elite support riders and staff, plus one of the largest media companies paying for 70% of the budget for two years?

Wow - I am creating discussion about potential sponsors or PCT's like the Israel Cycling Academy who wish to join the World Tour - Israel Cycling Academy team would look at any WT team who doesn't have guaranteed backing long term - And Mitchelton Scott is a very DECENT team in the WT - Maybe take off your Sky goggles !
yaco

10 Jan 2019 10:03

CTQ wrote:
MatParker117 wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/could-a-us-millionaire-save-team-sky/

Pinarello-Israel Cycling Academy?

but Sylvan Adams is an Israeli-Canadian-Jewish billionaire not a US. EDIT'' i would bet on Kevin Systrom, the cofounder of Instagram.'' he rides a bike himself and already trained with Team Sky in 2017 https://www.instagram.com/p/BXgOIAiAI5d/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Any billionaire who loves cycling could be interested. $30-40 million per year would be passion project money for someone with that kind of wealth, so sure why not throw it out there. Billionaires love to buy sports teams, so why not buy the most successful (global recognition, not wins per season) current cycling team and run it as a hobby project? I know i would if I was worth over a billion
jarvo

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

18 Jan 2019 20:25

Axel Zingle, Thomas Acosta and Andrea Bagioli spent three days at the last Team Sky training camp on Mallorca.
Tim Booth

19 Jan 2019 18:12

what's happened to all the team sky stories from CN frontpage..................

team sky PR machine broken?
User avatar ebandit

20 Jan 2019 04:59

According to Tuttobiciweb sources inside Sky report as almost certain that Thomas will ride Giro and Vuelta because the team want to focus solely on Froome in France.
Nirvana

Re:

20 Jan 2019 07:55

Nirvana wrote:According to Tuttobiciweb sources inside Sky report as almost certain that Thomas will ride Giro and Vuelta because the team want to focus solely on Froome in France.

Bit confusing this one for me. On the one hand it appears absolutely the best thing for the team, having said that you cant tell someone they can't defend the tdf.
Singer01

20 Jan 2019 09:13

Singer01 wrote:
Nirvana wrote:According to Tuttobiciweb sources inside Sky report as almost certain that Thomas will ride Giro and Vuelta because the team want to focus solely on Froome in France.

Bit confusing this one for me. On the one hand it appears absolutely the best thing for the team, having said that you cant tell someone they can't defend the tdf.

Froome low-key furious that Thomas actually won the TDF last year

Hopefully some turbulence behind the scenes in that team happening all spring.

Be great if both Thomas and Froome went to TDF and they imploded :)
Salvarani

20 Jan 2019 12:21

Singer01 wrote:

The article says that Thomas knowing the team want to focus on Froome for the Tour prefers to go to the Giro as leader and then to the Vuelta to prepare for the WC. I don't think that they are going to force him to skip the Tour, probably they only said to him something like "at the Tour you can be only second fiddle/backup and the team will be all behind Froome". And based on that he drew his conclusions.
Nirvana

Yesterday 00:02

Which means Bernal will be working for either Thomas or Froome in whichever GT he's sent to after very likely being told he'd be able to race the Giro. This could be interesting. Also Sky can't send their "A" team to all 3 GTs.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

Yesterday 04:51

Koronin wrote:Which means Bernal will be working for either Thomas or Froome in whichever GT he's sent to after very likely being told he'd be able to race the Giro. This could be interesting. Also Sky can't send their "A" team to all 3 GTs.

we already know Bernal is going to the Giro to ride GC for himself, he wont be working for no one....and even if he did end up riding for someone else it wouldn't be a problem as he's still only 22
rick james

Yesterday 04:52

Salvarani wrote:
Singer01 wrote:

Froome low-key furious that Thomas actually won the TDF last year

Hopefully some turbulence behind the scenes in that team happening all spring.

Be great if both Thomas and Froome went to TDF and they imploded :)

I hope so, its how champions should feel
rick james

Yesterday 05:09

rick james wrote:
Koronin wrote:Which means Bernal will be working for either Thomas or Froome in whichever GT he's sent to after very likely being told he'd be able to race the Giro. This could be interesting. Also Sky can't send their "A" team to all 3 GTs.

we already know Bernal is going to the Giro to ride GC for himself, he wont be working for no one....and even if he did end up riding for someone else it wouldn't be a problem as he's still only 22

But we all know Sky goes with only 1 goal to GT's which means if Thomas goes to the Giro Bernal will have no freedom to race for himself and will be required to work for Thomas. This isn't Movistar that sends 3 protected riders who all get to race for themselves to a GT.
User avatar Koronin

Yesterday 05:21

yes the one goal is to win that grand tour, they went into last years Tour with 2 leaders if Thomas goes it will be the same, Bernal will ride his own race...I know your looking to get the agenda over that big bad team sky only look after the Anglo Saxons...if Bernal has a better chance than Thomas to win the Giro he will be the leader until that happens they will go with 2 leaders(if Thomas rides it)
rick james

Yesterday 07:31

Koronin wrote:
rick james wrote:

But we all know Sky goes with only 1 goal to GT's which means if Thomas goes to the Giro Bernal will have no freedom to race for himself and will be required to work for Thomas. This isn't Movistar that sends 3 protected riders who all get to race for themselves to a GT.

But we all know there is only one leader/protected rider at Movistar. I'm just surprised that Landa and NQ haven't left by now.

As for Bernal, I don't think he is ready to lead a GT just yet. Maybe next year/year after, as he doesn't want to burn out too early in his career.
wheresmybrakes

Yesterday 19:14

If Thomas really starts the Giro because Froome is the clear leader in the TDF it really makes no sence if Bernal also rides the Giro. Froome is then the first priority and then it only makes sence that he also gets the best helper. And for Bernal it really does not change much what GT he is the helper in and if the alternative is both of them its a even worse situation for him as he will miss out on 1 week leaderships also. For sure if Thomas starts the Giro (in good form) Bernal will not have a free role anymore despite what they said earlier. I suppose Froome will have Poels also then so he has 2 superhelpers and then Sosa can be the tophelper for Thomas in the Giro.
MADRAZO

Re:

Yesterday 19:25

MADRAZO wrote:If Thomas really starts the Giro because Froome is the clear leader in the TDF it really makes no sence if Bernal also rides the Giro. Froome is then the first priority and then it only makes sence that he also gets the best helper. And for Bernal it really does not change much what GT he is the helper in and if the alternative is both of them its a even worse situation for him as he will miss out on 1 week leaderships also. For sure if Thomas starts the Giro (in good form) Bernal will not have a free role anymore despite what they said earlier. I suppose Froome will have Poels also then so he has 2 superhelpers and then Sosa can be the tophelper for Thomas in the Giro.

If you're Sky and you want Froome to get a convincing TDF win best to send Bernal only as a helper after riding the Giro so he's not too strong in July.
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours

Previous

Return to Professional road racing