Log in:  

Register

Stig Broeckx in coma after serious crash involving motorbike

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Stig Broeckx in coma after serious crash involving motorbike

28 May 2016 22:58

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/broeckx-in-a-non-induced-coma-after-motorbike-incident-at-baloise-belgium-tour/

It was immediately clear that Stig had incurred a head injury and that he needed to be transported to a neurosurgical centre. Together with the race doctor and the medical emergency team we decided to transport him to the hospital of Aachen, which has the necessary infrastructure. A scan was taken at the hospital and it showed that Stig has two bleedings in his brain. Stig is in a non-induced coma, but for the moment he doesn't need to undergo surgery. He doesn't have a skull fracture, but he does have a fractured eye socket, which will be further evaluated later. At this point, it is very difficult to give a prognosis about a full recovery. The next 24 hours he will be very closely monitored."


My thoughts are with Stig and his family at this time, I hope that he can come through this.
MatParker117
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,009
Joined: 28 Aug 2012 22:05

29 May 2016 06:27

This is being a really crap season in terms of people being hurt and dying.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

Re:

29 May 2016 07:40

CheckMyPecs wrote:This is being a really crap season in terms of people being hurt and dying.

This.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,905
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

29 May 2016 12:04

Any recent updates on this? Seems the quotes are from last night...
User avatar Praying Mantis
Junior Member
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 31 Aug 2014 11:11

Re:

29 May 2016 12:19

Praying Mantis wrote:Any recent updates on this? Seems the quotes are from last night...

Still nothing.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

29 May 2016 16:11

There was an update this morning that basically said nothing has changed.

"Zijn toestand is een dag later nog altijd status quo", zegt zijn ploeg. "De bloeding en de druk in zijn hersenen schommelen een beetje, maar het blijft binnen de aanvaardbare normen."

"Het risico is dus zeker niet geweken. Het is dan ook belangrijk dat we zijn situatie van dichtbij blijven opvolgen. In de loop van de dag zullen er nieuwe onderzoeken en tests worden uitgevoerd."
Source: Sporza

Translation:

"His condition a day later is still a status quo", says his team. "The bleeding and pressure in his brain fluctuate a bit, but stay within acceptable boundaries."

"The risk certainly isn't over. It is, therefore, of utmost importance to watch his condition close. During the day, new tests will be performed."

(Translation is mine, so it's far from perfect.)
“I wish my wish would not be granted!”
Douglas R. Hofstadter (1979)
User avatar WillemS
Member
 
Posts: 630
Joined: 06 Aug 2011 18:39
Location: Amsterdam

29 May 2016 16:50

Non induced coma doesn't sound good. I hope all will be fine, and he'll recover.
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,366
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re:

29 May 2016 16:51

WillemS wrote:There was an update this morning that basically said nothing has changed.

"Zijn toestand is een dag later nog altijd status quo", zegt zijn ploeg. "De bloeding en de druk in zijn hersenen schommelen een beetje, maar het blijft binnen de aanvaardbare normen."

"Het risico is dus zeker niet geweken. Het is dan ook belangrijk dat we zijn situatie van dichtbij blijven opvolgen. In de loop van de dag zullen er nieuwe onderzoeken en tests worden uitgevoerd."
Source: Sporza

Translation:

"His condition a day later is still a status quo", says his team. "The bleeding and pressure in his brain fluctuate a bit, but stay within acceptable boundaries."

"The risk certainly isn't over. It is, therefore, of utmost importance to watch his condition close. During the day, new tests will be performed."

(Translation is mine, so it's far from perfect.)


And now a new update from LTS:

Team doctor Servaas Bingé: “Constant monitoring and tests showed that the intracranial pressure has slightly increased, but within acceptable limits. During the next 48 to 72 hours the increase or decrease of the intracranial pressure will be decisive for further treatment. If the intracranial pressure increases, surgery might be necessary. A decrease of the pressure would be a positive sign. The bleedings in the brain have stabilised. The condition of Stig needs to be monitored every hour and the neurosurgical team of the hospital is consulted for the treatment. The secondary injuries – fracture of the eye socket and bruised lung – don’t have a determining influence at the moment.”
User avatar Samamba
Member
 
Posts: 1,610
Joined: 10 May 2015 11:45

29 May 2016 16:52

Crap
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,366
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

29 May 2016 17:57

You didn't post in this thread either until you did, and apparently you didn't even see all those other messages about Broeckx or feel the need to start a thread yourself. So get off your high horse.
I never participate in such collective sorrow because I take it that the families don't come to CNF anyway

And you didn't stop to think that maybe other forumers felt the same? You're such a hypocrite. You are sickening.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,766
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

Re: Stig Broeckx in coma after serious crash involving motor

29 May 2016 18:31

Let's not get into a fight here, that would be an actual disgrace.

I'm troubled by the latest update, that doesn't sound good.

While I'm no doctor, I'm worried that he might not fully recover. From the sentiment in the updates, I gather that the team and doctors have similar fears. Well, first things, first, I hope he recovers to a point at which he can lead a normal life; let's worry about his career later.
“I wish my wish would not be granted!”
Douglas R. Hofstadter (1979)
User avatar WillemS
Member
 
Posts: 630
Joined: 06 Aug 2011 18:39
Location: Amsterdam

29 May 2016 18:34

Well, I'm not a mod, but I hope we can keep this thread on the topic of Stig Broeckx and not have it degrade into a disrespectful fight.

There's probably a better place to discuss the ethics of users on this forum than this thread.
“I wish my wish would not be granted!”
Douglas R. Hofstadter (1979)
User avatar WillemS
Member
 
Posts: 630
Joined: 06 Aug 2011 18:39
Location: Amsterdam

29 May 2016 18:39

We discussed that in the 'Reduce the Cars and Motors' thread as well.
Hope Stig fights back from this.My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 15 Apr 2016 16:10

29 May 2016 19:03

I ain't got no correct words yesterday. That's why I instantly kept quiet. It's horrible. Big ****. It shouldn't happen. It has happened multiple times lately. It ain't acceptable. It's a young life that's about to end tragically again. There's talk about bad weather protocols and new business models and yet nothing really changes on this matter. It lefts me angry and frustrated. We're in the year of 2016 and apparently these things were better organized in the 90's. It's a shame that the organizers need another potential death as final wake up call. I can't stand that.

Please let Broeckx make it, dear Lord!
User avatar staubsauger
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,209
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

Re:

29 May 2016 19:09

staubsauger wrote:I ain't got no correct words yesterday. That's why I instantly kept quiet. It's horrible. Big ****. It shouldn't happen. It has happened multiple times lately. It ain't acceptable. It's a young life that's about to end tragically again. There's talk about bad weather protocols and new business models and yet nothing really changes on this matter. It lefts me angry and frustrated. We're in the year of 2016 and apparently these things were better organized in the 90's. It's a shame that the organizers need another potential death as final wake up call. I can't stand that.

Please let Broeckx make it, dear Lord!


This!
Echoes, please try to understand that sometimes not saying/writing anything doesn't mean not caring, but rather being unable to find the right words to express what you feel.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,032
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

29 May 2016 19:43

I understand what Echoes is saying, though, to a point. At least from my own perspective, I saw this and though to my self "For ****'s sake not another". When Demoitie died, I was much more upset and shocked, and took more notice of it. This is down to a number of reasons: perhaps the timing distracted me, with the final stage of the Giro going on, whereas Antoine died during the height of the cobbled classics when 100% of the attention was there; perhaps it was the fact that it was the Tour of Belgium, rather than Gent Wevelgem. I think had it been a bigger race then there would've been more outcry, not much more but a bit more.

But I think the biggest reason by far was my initial reaction, or rather a specific part: "not another". When Demoitie was hit, it was a complete shock. We hadn't seen anything like it, and it was absurd that a motorbike would actually hit a rider. We hadn't had a death since 2011, then we had two in the space of a few days. It was also the 'climax' of the motorbike saga. For the past year there had been close shaves yet most of us, or at least me, didn't really think that this was possible; that a rider would be killed. Now, I have almost become accustomed to it; as sad and horrible as it may be the shock has gone and it has in a way defined this cycling year.

Take the migrant crisis. When the first few boats were sinking and people dying, the international community rose to its collective feet and helped immediately. These were considered tragic, as they were. Nowadays, we have just as many, probably more boats capsizing, sinking and people dying yet these rarely make the news unless it is over 500 people, and even then it doesn't strike the same chord. Why? Because we have become used to them.

I know it is not the same, here we are still shocked, just not as much. We are still very sad for them, that has not changed, but they bring less shock. With every death, it will happen. That, for me, is the reason why this topic has less posts than it should do. It might just be me that feels this way and I may be a horrible human, but all this tells me even louder is that the UCI need to do something about it, fix it or at least make it better before it does become like the boats in the migrant crisis, and just a part of the world today. This is fixable, avoidable. The UCI, disgustingly, don't seem bothered. The riders must rise up and speak up for themselves in these cases. Us fans can only do so much.
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,366
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re:

29 May 2016 19:47

WillemS wrote:Well, I'm not a mod, but I hope we can keep this thread on the topic of Stig Broeckx and not have it degrade into a disrespectful fight.

There's probably a better place to discuss the ethics of users on this forum than this thread.

This.

Please keep it on topic.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator
 
Posts: 8,779
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Bodensee

Re:

30 May 2016 06:58

Brullnux wrote:I understand what Echoes is saying, though, to a point. At least from my own perspective, I saw this and though to my self "For ****'s sake not another". When Demoitie died, I was much more upset and shocked, and took more notice of it. This is down to a number of reasons: perhaps the timing distracted me, with the final stage of the Giro going on, whereas Antoine died during the height of the cobbled classics when 100% of the attention was there; perhaps it was the fact that it was the Tour of Belgium, rather than Gent Wevelgem. I think had it been a bigger race then there would've been more outcry, not much more but a bit more.

But I think the biggest reason by far was my initial reaction, or rather a specific part: "not another". When Demoitie was hit, it was a complete shock. We hadn't seen anything like it, and it was absurd that a motorbike would actually hit a rider. We hadn't had a death since 2011, then we had two in the space of a few days. It was also the 'climax' of the motorbike saga. For the past year there had been close shaves yet most of us, or at least me, didn't really think that this was possible; that a rider would be killed. Now, I have almost become accustomed to it; as sad and horrible as it may be the shock has gone and it has in a way defined this cycling year.

Take the migrant crisis. When the first few boats were sinking and people dying, the international community rose to its collective feet and helped immediately. These were considered tragic, as they were. Nowadays, we have just as many, probably more boats capsizing, sinking and people dying yet these rarely make the news unless it is over 500 people, and even then it doesn't strike the same chord. Why? Because we have become used to them.

I know it is not the same, here we are still shocked, just not as much. We are still very sad for them, that has not changed, but they bring less shock. With every death, it will happen. That, for me, is the reason why this topic has less posts than it should do. It might just be me that feels this way and I may be a horrible human, but all this tells me even louder is that the UCI need to do something about it, fix it or at least make it better before it does become like the boats in the migrant crisis, and just a part of the world today. This is fixable, avoidable. The UCI, disgustingly, don't seem bothered. The riders must rise up and speak up for themselves in these cases. Us fans can only do so much.


I rather suspect that quite a few people didn't say anything because (like me) they were confused by the fact that this is Broeckx's SECOND moto crash of the season. My initial assumption was that this was fog-of-war misreporting bard on confusion with KBK, and it took quite a bit of research before I felt satisfied that Broeckx had somehow suffered this twice.
Cannibal72
Member
 
Posts: 953
Joined: 06 Feb 2016 20:49

30 May 2016 08:04

Really? That is insane. Terrible luck.
User avatar jsem94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,406
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 18:24
Location: Örebro, Sweden

Re:

30 May 2016 08:40

jsem94 wrote:Really? That is insane. Terrible luck.


Yes. Terrible luck.

What I would like to know is if his luck doubly terrible, i.e., the probably of a rider being involved twice is incredibly small and the probably of being that rider is also small, or if the probably of a rider being involved twice is actually quite substantial and he just happened to be unlucky to be that guy.

If what I fear about the safety culture of the UCI is right, that it is horrible, then I fear it is the latter. The risk of getting involved, and thus of getting involved twice, is not as small as it should be.
“I wish my wish would not be granted!”
Douglas R. Hofstadter (1979)
User avatar WillemS
Member
 
Posts: 630
Joined: 06 Aug 2011 18:39
Location: Amsterdam

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dusty red roads, Google [Bot], Jakob747 and 14 guests

Back to top