Log in:  

Register

The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

05 Jun 2016 09:33

So a lot of riders have their own discussion thread, how about one for one of the most talented guys and his part-time road campaign?

With the failure of his MTB bid for Rio, it seems like MVP will do a bit of road this summer and after some small races in Belgium, he started his first UCI race last thursday on the Boucles de la Mayenne. After a nice prologue (12th) and a sprint stage where he arrived at the front of the peloton (14th), Mathieu was a factor in the second stage, when he attacked with 120 km to the finish line in one of the GPM climbs. He exploded with the bunch and was joined by Kevin Ledanois, Joris Nieuwenhuis, Daniel Hoelgaard and Eliot Lietaer. Yann Guyot and Lluis Mas soon joined the break, who gained a maximum advantage of 3 minutes and was caught just 3 km before the finish, with MVP one of the three late survivors. He is now 9th on the GC at the start of the last stage.

Based on Beobank-Corendon's calendar, he should be in the majority of these races:

02/06 - 05/06 -> Boucles de la Mayenne (2.1)
08/06 - 08/06 -> Ruddervoorde (NE)
12/06 - 12/06 -> Ronde van Limburg (1.1)
19/06 - 19/06 -> Circuit de Wallonie (NE)
29/06 - 29/06 -> Jong maar Moedig Oetingen (1.2)
03/07 - 03/07 -> GP Monseré - Roeselare (NE)
07/07 - 07/07 -> Melle (NE)
12/07 - 12/07 -> Houtem - Vilvoorde (NE)
18/07 - 22/07 -> Ronde van Luik (NE)
27/07 - 31/07 -> Tour Alsace (2.2)
05/08 - 05/08 -> Dwars door het Hageland (1.1)
11/08 - 14/08 -> Czech Cycling Tour (2.1)
21/08 - 21/08 -> GP Scherens - Leuven (1.1)
28/08 - 28/08 -> Schaal Sels (1.1)
14/09 - 14/09 -> GP de Wallonie (1.1)

With no Rio in his schedule, maybe he can go back to L'Avenir and start over last year's bad luck.
User avatar Ricco'
Member
 
Posts: 1,269
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:41
Location: Coimbra, Portugal

05 Jun 2016 09:40

I hope he does L'Avenir! There's not many hilly races on the calendar, but I expect him to be able to contend at the Ronde Van Limburg, Ronde Van Luik (but that race is always dominated by cx riders), Dwars Door Het Hageland (since when is this 1.1?) and GP Scherens! He and Wout could really light up road racing too but I like that they choose for riding what they like the most right now, there's still a lot of time for them to develop in road racing!
Baptiste Planckaert Fan Club
BalearicBeats
Junior Member
 
Posts: 275
Joined: 01 Nov 2015 21:48

Re:

05 Jun 2016 10:05

BalearicBeats wrote:I hope he does L'Avenir! There's not many hilly races on the calendar, but I expect him to be able to contend at the Ronde Van Limburg, Ronde Van Luik (but that race is always dominated by cx riders), Dwars Door Het Hageland (since when is this 1.1?) and GP Scherens! He and Wout could really light up road racing too but I like that they choose for riding what they like the most right now, there's still a lot of time for them to develop in road racing!


Though he is 2-3 years younger Iserbyt is a great talent as well, who could do great on the road but he signed a 5.5 year contract a week ago :(.

Hopefully MvP and WvA will join the WT in 2018 though you cant blame them for doing what they love obviously.
User avatar Ruudz0r
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,561
Joined: 09 Jun 2011 17:31
Location: The Netherlands

08 Jun 2016 16:26

First win of his 2016 road campaign in the Ruddervoorde Koerse, beating Michael Vingerling (3M) and Jonas Rickaert (Topsport).

Next up is the Ronde van Limburg, a race he won in 2014.
User avatar Ricco'
Member
 
Posts: 1,269
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:41
Location: Coimbra, Portugal

08 Jun 2016 17:32

Very talented kid! He has a dirt thread, but as you can guess, its pretty quiet. I'm surprised that he didn't give dirt racing a little more time.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,231
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

19 Oct 2016 20:54

Van der Poel is planning to make a full switch to road cycling in 2018.

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/veldrijden/1.2796267
User avatar Ricco'
Member
 
Posts: 1,269
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:41
Location: Coimbra, Portugal

19 Oct 2016 21:04

MAYBE ;)
User avatar Billie
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,314
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 14:09

Re: The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

20 Oct 2016 10:35

If I understood correctly he only said that if he was to switch to the road, it wouldn't be before 2018. His contract with Beobank runs till then. To me he did not sound really motivated but his father is encouraging him to. Besides, Adrie seemed convinced his son can combine both cyclocross and road (while Wout is sure that that is impossible), so he's not read to leave cross. He's said many times he did not like racing road but in the climbs when it's really racing. Wout doesn't like it either, though and is not read to race road at WT level before 2018 at the earliest.

It might be sad news for you but for me it's a relief. I'd be sad when/if they definitively live the field. Stybar no longer racing cross was a tragedy for me.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,021
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

20 Oct 2016 10:52

I saw the talkshow. To me, he looked serious and quite eager moving to the road after 2018.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,706
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

20 Oct 2016 12:03

When does his contract end? In the end of the 2018 cross season (so, February of 2018) or at the end of 2018?
User avatar Ricco'
Member
 
Posts: 1,269
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 18:41
Location: Coimbra, Portugal

Re: The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

20 Oct 2016 12:30

Echoes wrote:If I understood correctly he only said that if he was to switch to the road, it wouldn't be before 2018. His contract with Beobank runs till then. To me he did not sound really motivated but his father is encouraging him to. Besides, Adrie seemed convinced his son can combine both cyclocross and road (while Wout is sure that that is impossible), so he's not read to leave cross. He's said many times he did not like racing road but in the climbs when it's really racing. Wout doesn't like it either, though and is not read to race road at WT level before 2018 at the earliest.

It might be sad news for you but for me it's a relief. I'd be sad when/if they definitively live the field. Stybar no longer racing cross was a tragedy for me.
I interpreted the interview different. I think you are saying / typing what you want to hear, but it is not what he means. He certainly looks convinced to make the switch to the road, which is entirely comprehensible. Van der Poel is bigger than the small cyclocross world.

I love cyclocross, or maybe I should say: I used to love cyclocross, when Stybar, Boom, Albert and Nys were racing. Now it's just a bunch of non-charismatic Belgians. Thankfully we have the battle Van Aert vs. Van der Poel, but it's not as entertaining as cyclocross was in the past for me.

Flamin wrote:I saw the talkshow. To me, he looked serious and quite eager moving to the road after 2018.
This, indeed.

Ricco' wrote:When does his contract end? In the end of the 2018 cross season (so, February of 2018) or at the end of 2018?
The end of 2018.
User avatar Popchu
Member
 
Posts: 837
Joined: 14 Mar 2011 18:17

Re: The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

20 Oct 2016 14:39

I've often heard Mathieu saying cyclocross is what he loves best of all three disciplines is good at (with MTB and road), whether it be about the races or trainings and he likes MTB better than road. It's not just wishful thinking.

I haven't seen the talk show, so I'll just trust Flamin but after the Worlds last January he clearly said that Wout would be his rival for the coming years. Of course he can change his mind but he's consistently said he didn't like road racing. I've heard Wout and Lars saying similar things too. However because he was himself a prodigy on the road as a novice and as a junior (probably one of the two or three best of his generation), people around him seem to lure him onto the road, in the first place, his own father.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,021
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

Re: The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

20 Oct 2016 15:33

Echoes wrote:I've often heard Mathieu saying cyclocross is what he loves best of all three disciplines is good at (with MTB and road), whether it be about the races or trainings and he likes MTB better than road. It's not just wishful thinking.

I haven't seen the talk show, so I'll just trust Flamin but after the Worlds last January he clearly said that Wout would be his rival for the coming years. Of course he can change his mind but he's consistently said he didn't like road racing. I've heard Wout and Lars saying similar things too. However because he was himself a prodigy on the road as a novice and as a junior (probably one of the two or three best of his generation), people around him seem to lure him onto the road, in the first place, his own father.
I'm sorry, but you clearly have a cyclocross biased opinion. When I read your post, it sounds like Van der Poel is forced to quit cyclocross. I won't deny his father Adrie wants him to go sooner or later on the road, but believe me, it's also what M. Van der Poel wants. Of course, cyclocross is more fun than 6 hours training on the road, especially for guys like Mathieu who likes to entertain. That doesn't mean he wants to go road racing in a few years. Even Van Aert is considering road racing in the future.

You'll never hear the best cyclocross riders say something wrong about cyclocross, because they love it. Otherwise they won't do it. It's fun, there are a lot of spectators and they earn a great income. But again, this doesn't mean they hate road racing and they don't want to do it.
User avatar Popchu
Member
 
Posts: 837
Joined: 14 Mar 2011 18:17

20 Oct 2016 15:49

How much do van Aert or van der Poel make at their current teams as 'cross riders? In other words, where would van Aert and van der Poel currently be on the list of highest earning cyclists?
User avatar TMP402
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,376
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 12:36

20 Oct 2016 15:52

I'm exited to see how far he can go on the road. His main strength in CX seems to be his excellent technique. He seems to be a little down on Van Aert on pure power, but he's still much stronger than anyone else so that shouldn't be a problem. He will surely have a good career going by what he has shown on the road so far and going by that he is better at CX than Stybar and Boom ever were.
qwerty16
Junior Member
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 24 Dec 2009 18:24

20 Oct 2016 15:54

Apparently Sky touched bases with him already.
MatParker117
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,997
Joined: 28 Aug 2012 22:05

Re:

20 Oct 2016 16:33

TMP402 wrote:How much do van Aert or van der Poel make at their current teams as 'cross riders? In other words, where would van Aert and van der Poel currently be on the list of highest earning cyclists?
For cyclocross riders, you have different sources of income: (1) salary payed by the team (2) start money (3) prize money from the races / classifications (World Cup, Superprestige, GVA-trofee) (4) sponsor deals.

I think, in total, Van Aert and Van der Poel earn 800.000 - 1.000.000 a year. It was pretty much known Stybar earned around 1.000.000 in his prime time as a cyclocross rider, so Van Aert and Van der Poel should earn more or less the same, especially when you know it's only these two who attract public.
User avatar Popchu
Member
 
Posts: 837
Joined: 14 Mar 2011 18:17

20 Oct 2016 17:18

Don't underestimate Styby's value as a cyclocrosser. He was super popular. Both Van Aert and VDP still have a way to go I think to reach that.

I hope so at least. Would be ridiculous if these guys already made so much cash.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,706
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

Re: Re:

20 Oct 2016 17:59

Popchu wrote:
TMP402 wrote:How much do van Aert or van der Poel make at their current teams as 'cross riders? In other words, where would van Aert and van der Poel currently be on the list of highest earning cyclists?
For cyclocross riders, you have different sources of income: (1) salary payed by the team (2) start money (3) prize money from the races / classifications (World Cup, Superprestige, GVA-trofee) (4) sponsor deals.

I think, in total, Van Aert and Van der Poel earn 800.000 - 1.000.000 a year. It was pretty much known Stybar earned around 1.000.000 in his prime time as a cyclocross rider, so Van Aert and Van der Poel should earn more or less the same, especially when you know it's only these two who attract public.


So really moving to the road could mean a pay cut, at least at first.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,376
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 12:36

20 Oct 2016 18:25

Just looked up a bit about Stybar's salary. He reportedly turned down a super lucrative deal in 2013 to return to cx: half a million fixed (plus an estimated 300.000k prize money, start money etc.). So he could never have earned 1 million in 2010. Closer to half a million in total probably.

He went to QS for 525.000k in 2011, not much less than what he earned in cx at the time.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,706
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 18 guests

Back to top