Log in:  

Register

The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

14 Oct 2018 19:19

Whatever races he does depends on what Wild Cards Correndon gets.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,902
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re:

14 Oct 2018 19:51

RedheadDane wrote:Whatever races he does depends on what Wild Cards Correndon gets.

According to a comment i read elsewhere, Mathieu said he would not ride Flanders and Roubaix yet, due to the length (250k+)? Any truth to that?

So basically Correndon needs more riders in order to become ProConti, and then they have to hope for wildcards. If Van Aert goes to Jumbo after the cyclocross season, i take it that's an extra wildcard that becomes available.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend
Member
 
Posts: 1,164
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 12:17

14 Oct 2018 19:54

Given his characteristics I'll be amazed if he ever wins Roubaix. Flanders should be doable one day. Amstel as well.

The team said they'd look for invites to Dwars and E3 in 2019. This was a month or so ago.
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,310
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

Re: Re:

14 Oct 2018 20:13

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:He wasn't even attacking. Just riding a hard pace. And then WvA made a small mistake and from then on only lost time. Until it was like 30 seconds then MvdP took the gas off the pedal a bit and it remained 30 seconds

Wout's gear was in the fritz when he changed his bike as well.
Mathieu said he his anckle didn't bother him too much. I wonder how it looked after the race, because Adrie said that after the morning training, the anckle had swollen again. It's a pretty miraculous recovery by any means, the pictures of yesterday were really nasty and nobody would have believed it that he would start today, let alone win.

Can't wait for the classics. Is he riding any monuments? Flanders? Roubaix? Maybe Amstel? I heard he'd be doing E3 and Gent Wevelgem, but i hope he'll consider riding at least one of those as well. I'm sure he could win Brabantse Pijl if he started there.

I guess it depends on the invites they get?

I mean. If they get a invite for flanders or roubaix it doesnt make sense to not go as MvdP
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,062
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re: Re:

14 Oct 2018 20:18

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:He wasn't even attacking. Just riding a hard pace. And then WvA made a small mistake and from then on only lost time. Until it was like 30 seconds then MvdP took the gas off the pedal a bit and it remained 30 seconds

Wout's gear was in the fritz when he changed his bike as well.
Mathieu said he his anckle didn't bother him too much. I wonder how it looked after the race, because Adrie said that after the morning training, the anckle had swollen again. It's a pretty miraculous recovery by any means, the pictures of yesterday were really nasty and nobody would have believed it that he would start today, let alone win.

Can't wait for the classics. Is he riding any monuments? Flanders? Roubaix? Maybe Amstel? I heard he'd be doing E3 and Gent Wevelgem, but i hope he'll consider riding at least one of those as well. I'm sure he could win Brabantse Pijl if he started there.

I guess it depends on the invites they get?

I mean. If they get a invite for flanders or roubaix it doesnt make sense to not go as MvdP


I would be amazed if any cobbled race did not invite them. They have more wildcards than the GTs and it’s not as if there are tons of PCT teams offering better to organisers than MVDP.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,454
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re: Re:

14 Oct 2018 20:56

Zinoviev Letter wrote:I would be amazed if any cobbled race did not invite them. They have more wildcards than the GTs and it’s not as if there are tons of PCT teams offering better to organisers than MVDP.

Like i said, if Van Aert moves to Jumbo in a few months, that's a wildcard that becomes available anyway.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend
Member
 
Posts: 1,164
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 12:17

Re:

15 Oct 2018 02:00

GuyIncognito wrote:Given his characteristics I'll be amazed if he ever wins Roubaix. Flanders should be doable one day. Amstel as well.

The team said they'd look for invites to Dwars and E3 in 2019. This was a month or so ago.


Really? Why would you say that? He's a great bike handler, he's got good acceleration, good power, and a very good sprint.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,153
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 05:46
Location: ATX

Re: Re:

15 Oct 2018 12:25

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:I would be amazed if any cobbled race did not invite them. They have more wildcards than the GTs and it’s not as if there are tons of PCT teams offering better to organisers than MVDP.

Like i said, if Van Aert moves to Jumbo in a few months, that's a wildcard that becomes available anyway.


That is completely irrelevant, because van Aert will ride for a WorldTour team or won’t ride the classics at all. Or is he gonna ride as a one man team? :confused:
Der Effe
Member
 
Posts: 1,416
Joined: 20 Sep 2011 09:48
Location: Netherlands

Re: Re:

15 Oct 2018 12:33

jaylew wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:Given his characteristics I'll be amazed if he ever wins Roubaix. Flanders should be doable one day. Amstel as well.

The team said they'd look for invites to Dwars and E3 in 2019. This was a month or so ago.


Really? Why would you say that? He's a great bike handler, he's got good acceleration, good power, and a very good sprint.

And don't forget he's used to riding solo for an hour. :lol: so he can probably TT a bit as well
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,062
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re: Re:

15 Oct 2018 13:22

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
jaylew wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:Given his characteristics I'll be amazed if he ever wins Roubaix. Flanders should be doable one day. Amstel as well.

The team said they'd look for invites to Dwars and E3 in 2019. This was a month or so ago.


Really? Why would you say that? He's a great bike handler, he's got good acceleration, good power, and a very good sprint.

And don't forget he's used to riding solo for an hour. :lol: so he can probably TT a bit as well
Tbf those are two quite different types of solo effort.
kingjr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,589
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 18:53
Location: Germany

Re: Re:

15 Oct 2018 14:43

Der Effe wrote:
Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:I would be amazed if any cobbled race did not invite them. They have more wildcards than the GTs and it’s not as if there are tons of PCT teams offering better to organisers than MVDP.

Like i said, if Van Aert moves to Jumbo in a few months, that's a wildcard that becomes available anyway.


That is completely irrelevant, because van Aert will ride for a WorldTour team or won’t ride the classics at all. Or is he gonna ride as a one man team? :confused:



Jumbo doesn't need an invitation. So the invitation Van Aert got last year, becomes available, since Van Aert's old team will either disolve, merge or lose it's best rider (Van Aert). So i think it's rather unlikely that Correndon plus Van der Poel would NOT get invited while VW minus Van Aert does. So Van Aert moving to a WT team, means that that invitation very likely becomes available for Corendon.
Unless VW is going to attract some other big shot for the classics, which i doubt.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend
Member
 
Posts: 1,164
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 12:17

Re: Re:

15 Oct 2018 15:13

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Der Effe wrote:
Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:I would be amazed if any cobbled race did not invite them. They have more wildcards than the GTs and it’s not as if there are tons of PCT teams offering better to organisers than MVDP.

Like i said, if Van Aert moves to Jumbo in a few months, that's a wildcard that becomes available anyway.


That is completely irrelevant, because van Aert will ride for a WorldTour team or won’t ride the classics at all. Or is he gonna ride as a one man team? :confused:



Jumbo doesn't need an invitation. So the invitation Van Aert got last year, becomes available, since Van Aert's old team will either disolve, merge or lose it's best rider (Van Aert). So i think it's rather unlikely that Correndon plus Van der Poel would NOT get invited while VW minus Van Aert does. So Van Aert moving to a WT team, means that that invitation very likely becomes available for Corendon.
Unless VW is going to attract some other big shot for the classics, which i doubt.


What? The Sniper Cycling and Roompot merger, who both had invites last year, automatically frees a spot. But since Direct Energie signed Terpstra, they will get an invite.

From last years invited teams at the Ronde van Vlaanderen that leaves Cofidis, Sport Vlaanderen, the Roompot merger, Wanty, WB Aquaprotect and Vital Concept as rivals for a spot. Van der Poel’s presence alone will make sure one of these teams wouldn’t get invited, so why bring van Aert into the discussion? Even if he would be riding for Roompot-Crelan next season and their spot was secured, Corendon would get picked over one of the other teams.
Der Effe
Member
 
Posts: 1,416
Joined: 20 Sep 2011 09:48
Location: Netherlands

Re: Re:

15 Oct 2018 17:00

Der Effe wrote:
Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Der Effe wrote:
Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:I would be amazed if any cobbled race did not invite them. They have more wildcards than the GTs and it’s not as if there are tons of PCT teams offering better to organisers than MVDP.

Like i said, if Van Aert moves to Jumbo in a few months, that's a wildcard that becomes available anyway.


That is completely irrelevant, because van Aert will ride for a WorldTour team or won’t ride the classics at all. Or is he gonna ride as a one man team? :confused:



Jumbo doesn't need an invitation. So the invitation Van Aert got last year, becomes available, since Van Aert's old team will either disolve, merge or lose it's best rider (Van Aert). So i think it's rather unlikely that Correndon plus Van der Poel would NOT get invited while VW minus Van Aert does. So Van Aert moving to a WT team, means that that invitation very likely becomes available for Corendon.
Unless VW is going to attract some other big shot for the classics, which i doubt.


What? The Sniper Cycling and Roompot merger, who both had invites last year, automatically frees a spot. But since Direct Energie signed Terpstra, they will get an invite.

From last years invited teams at the Ronde van Vlaanderen that leaves Cofidis, Sport Vlaanderen, the Roompot merger, Wanty, WB Aquaprotect and Vital Concept as rivals for a spot. Van der Poel’s presence alone will make sure one of these teams wouldn’t get invited, so why bring van Aert into the discussion? Even if he would be riding for Roompot-Crelan next season and their spot was secured, Corendon would get picked over one of the other teams.

Van Aert still hasn't signed at Jumbo as far as i know. So there is always a chance (still) however unlikely that he will sign for a different proconti team (since the merged team seems out of the question at this point) and remain in contention for a wildcard with his new team. So should Van Aert be going to Jumbo, it would definitely be relevant.
To be clear, i wasn't the one implying Van der Poel might not get invited for every race he wants to ride.

But if you want to argue a bit more, feel free.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend
Member
 
Posts: 1,164
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 12:17

18 Nov 2018 19:22

So after his victory today he said the next training camp will be different than normal, he will plan more long endurance (6 hour) training rides then he would normally do (4 hour tops) to prepare for the road racing. He says he doesn't know his exact program yet because they are dependant on wildcards. They do have a bigger picture / plan but he can't say yet which races
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,062
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re:

18 Nov 2018 22:03

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:So after his victory today he said the next training camp will be different than normal, he will plan more long endurance (6 hour) training rides then he would normally do (4 hour tops) to prepare for the road racing. He says he doesn't know his exact program yet because they are dependant on wildcards. They do have a bigger picture / plan but he can't say yet which races

Of the big ones, i'd like to see him do RVV, PR and Amstel. I hope he'll ride at least two of those.
Last edited by Logic-is-your-friend on 19 Nov 2018 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend
Member
 
Posts: 1,164
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 12:17

19 Nov 2018 10:58

Yeah I think they can get an invite to RVV but PR will be hard. I also think PR will suit him better. I'm not sure on him doing well in RVV, because of Koppenbergcross etc.. The difference being in road races he has more 'in between' to recup than in cross. Guess we'll find out
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,062
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

19 Nov 2018 14:21

Amazing. This guy's been racing (CX, XCO, SCC, RR) basically non-stop for at least 2 seasons (with few 1-2 week breaks here and there). This can't go on for much longer imho. Hope he's in top shape for CX WCH to win it (again) before switching to RR/XCO "full-time" cause of Olympics.
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon
Member
 
Posts: 1,555
Joined: 19 May 2012 08:56

Re:

19 Nov 2018 15:15

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Yeah I think they can get an invite to RVV but PR will be hard. I also think PR will suit him better. I'm not sure on him doing well in RVV, because of Koppenbergcross etc.. The difference being in road races he has more 'in between' to recup than in cross. Guess we'll find out


I actually think he'd be better at RVV than PR. He's lighter than many PR types, and he copes better with short burst intervals than most other riders. Koppenbergcross has little to do with RVV. The parts that he dislikes, are those in the field, not the actual koppenberg. He's shown he can do short steep climbs on the road before IIRC.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend
Member
 
Posts: 1,164
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 12:17

Re:

19 Nov 2018 20:41

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Yeah I think they can get an invite to RVV but PR will be hard.

On the other hand, being the grandson of Poulidor, an icon of French cycling, may help him get an invite. This could be good PR for ASO.
jflemaire
Junior Member
 
Posts: 135
Joined: 18 Jul 2011 14:39
Location: Liège, Belgium

Re: Re:

19 Nov 2018 23:20

jflemaire wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Yeah I think they can get an invite to RVV but PR will be hard.

On the other hand, being the grandson of Poulidor, an icon of French cycling, may help him get an invite. This could be good PR for ASO.


I doubt him being the grandson of Poulidor would make a big difference.

But i have little doubt that he would be invited for PR if he wants to race there regardless. The only reason Veranda's Willems Crelan got invited last year, was because of Van Aert. With Sniper imploding and Van Aert racing for (likely) Jumbo in 2019, that's a wildcard that becomes available, if nothing else. So there is no reason why van der Poel would not get an invite imo.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend
Member
 
Posts: 1,164
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 12:17

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Back to top