Register

The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

18 Dec 2018 05:21

jaylew wrote:He'll be fine. He won the Dutch championship at 220k and was 2nd at the Euro champs at 230k. If he doesn't go well it isn't going to be the extra 20k that's the issue.

Absolutely true.

I really don't get this talking him down at all - especially from a fan.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

18 Dec 2018 11:39

jaylew wrote:He'll be fine. He won the Dutch championship at 220k and was 2nd at the Euro champs at 230k. If he doesn't go well it isn't going to be the extra 20k that's the issue.

this.. plus in the dutch 220k one he blew through his energy with crazy attacks from far out. And then still won the sprint easily..he had much more in the tank left than seasoned pro's. The best of the best from the Netherlands..
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

18 Dec 2018 11:47

Kinda want to know what he could do in Fleche and LBL. Though without good preperation getting recked is probably where it's at.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

18 Dec 2018 12:03

Nice. I dont care for Cyclocross, but I really admire Mathieau and Wout, so watching them going up against each other in races I actually care about is great.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Re:

18 Dec 2018 13:59

tobydawq wrote:Absolutely true.

I really don't get this talking him down at all - especially from a fan.

Keeping expectations in check, is talking him down now? Or maybe we aren't allowed to have a discussion anymore? All i've been saying is that 1 hour high intensity efforts, aren't the same as 6+ hour endurance races against the best of the best where you have to race tactical and be able to ride on economy and that he shouldn't look at other riders as a reference because he beats them in the field.

Anyway, i think the Euro's in Glasgow were probably the best indicator here. Hard weather, short steep climbs, nervous peloton, 230k. He did well there. I'll admit i remembered the race being shorter.

I'm anxious to see the races he'll be entering. Both him and Wout can be a breath of fresh air among rather predictable selection of favorites/outsiders on these road races. It would be interesting to see how other guys will react to him/them.

PS: today his father says: "Iedereen denkt dat hij een referentiepunt heeft met de prestaties van Wout van Aert, maar het is Mathieu van der Poel. Het zal blijken of hij die wedstrijden wel aankan. Het is de ambitie om mee te doen in finales en als hij daarin slaagt, is het al heel goed."

Tssskk, talking his own son down like that.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

19 Dec 2018 14:40

Adri is always very careful.
Veteran

Re: The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

19 Dec 2018 18:39

What does he say?
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re: The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

19 Dec 2018 18:45

jaylew wrote:What does he say?

Basically what i've been saying. That Wout's performance last year isn't a reference. That it remains to be seen if he can cope with those types of races. That it's the ambition to be able to ride the finals, and if he manages that, it will already be a success.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

19 Dec 2018 19:16

So, he's just lying and deluding himself and, apparently, the friend of logic.
User avatar tobydawq

03 Jan 2019 13:50

Does anyone knows what happend to Adam Toupalik? He had really decent results in 2018 on the road and could be big support for MVP but he has been removed from Corendon - Circus squad on 2019?
User avatar Urbi27

Re:

03 Jan 2019 18:10

Urbi27 wrote:Does anyone knows what happend to Adam Toupalik? He had really decent results in 2018 on the road and could be big support for MVP but he has been removed from Corendon - Circus squad on 2019?

He was racing cross this year for the Steylaerts-777 team, not sure if he still will be for 2019 or not. According to cycling fever he is racing with Corendon-Circus again for the road this year. Gianni Vermeersch is doing similar.
NorthAmericanScum

07 Jan 2019 22:19

NorthAmericanScum wrote:
Urbi27 wrote:Does anyone knows what happend to Adam Toupalik? He had really decent results in 2018 on the road and could be big support for MVP but he has been removed from Corendon - Circus squad on 2019?

He was racing cross this year for the Steylaerts-777 team, not sure if he still will be for 2019 or not. According to cycling fever he is racing with Corendon-Circus again for the road this year. Gianni Vermeersch is doing similar.

Now I wonder, will the women do the same thing?
Cant-Alvarado-Arzuffi-Worst-Kastelijn or not?
I remember Cant complaining that she couldn't race any road races because she was alone in her team.
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

07 Jan 2019 23:49

NorthAmericanScum wrote:

cycling fever have it wrong. Toupalik is not with Corendon - Circus in 2019.
(See https://www.procyclingstats.com/team/corendon-circus-2019 for their line-up)
Tim Booth

08 Jan 2019 12:03

https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/van-der-poel-krijgt-minder-startgeld-dan-van-aert-belachelijk-maar-het-voordeel-van-de-regenboogtrui/#comment-547500

In short it's an article more about money (Van Aert receives more start money than Mvdp, which the latter thinks is ridicolous just because he is world champion while he wins far less). But also an interesting bit of text in the last few lines. He has a contract until 2023 which he will keep to, even if he would get an offer of 1,5 million. But he says an 'extreme offer' might change things.

So I bet if a team like Bahrein/UAE are willing to splash 4mil a year on him he might reconsider. Then he does have to do something special in the classics though

Also in the middle of the article there is something about the team management expecting at least 1 big win on the road. But MvdP thinks it's normal to set high expectations.
Veteran

Previous

Return to Professional road racing