Log in:  

Register

U23 races and talents

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

20 Feb 2018 11:16

Prologue – Forlì, 4.7km. A pan-flat aperitif to the race round the beautiful Emilia-Romagna town of Forli. The town square will be a perfect setting for the ceremonial start of the week’s racing.

St 1 – Riccione to Forli, 137.7km. A largely flat stage from Riccione, near the Adriatic coast, back up to the location of the previous day’s prologue, with two third category climbs in the last 40km. The sprinters should decide the day’s result if the nervous bunch avoids a repeat of 2017’s crash-hit first stage. Stage 3 of the 2017 race ended in Forli (image below) where Pavel Sivakov took the pink jersey.

St 2 – Nonantola to Sestola, 128.3km. An early rendez-vous for the GC contenders as the race heads towards the ski-station at Sestola. At only 1020m, however, the finish isn’t particularly severe, but it comes after a category 2 and 3 climb stacked up in the final 50km. If the sprinters enjoyed stage one, expect the maglia rosa to change hands tonight.

St 3 – Rio Saliceto to Azzano San Paolo/Orio al Serio, 160.8km. A mixed day out for tired legs after the summit finish and long transfer, Stage 3 is a the longest of the race at just over 160km, but is a totally flat transitional stage heading back north towards the furthest outskirts of Milan. A sprinter’s day.

St 4 – Mornico al Serio to Passo Maniva, 127.9km. A “medium” mountain stage with a summit finish at Passo Maniva, today’s route will give some shape to the GC that will last for the rest of the week. The finish is at 1744m above sea level, and the route features a crossing of the Tre Termini pass (701m asl) 60km from the line.

St 5 – Darfo Boario Terme – Folgarida 125.6km. Mountains and dirt roads. A third category climb will quicken the pulse before the road turns up to the Passo del Tonale (1883m asl), which comes 38km from the line. The riders will enjoy a descent to Dimaro before climbing as high again, this time up a strade bianche, to the finish at Folgarida (1854m).

St 6 – Dimaro to Pergine Valsugana, 121.7km. Two category 3 climbs don’t look too bad on paper, but a week into the race it would be easy to have a bad day. The organisers describe this as a ‘nervous’ stage where the two climbs come in the last 50km. A day for a breakaway to succeed.

St 7 – Schio to Pian Delle Fugazze, 135.4km. The three hills of the day count down from category 3 to 1, with the third being the climb to the finish at Pian Delle Fugazze. Don’t think about tomorrow though, as there’s worse to come…

St 8 – Levico Terme to Asiago, 152km. The riders will have over 1000km in their legs by the time they hit the Hors Categorie climb in the middle of the stage. The 24km monster to Monte Grappa is a modest 5.3% average gradient, but the word “average” bears a lot of weight here as there are several plateaux and descents mid-climb. The final 90km of today’s stage could be very similar to stage 20 of the 2017 Giro d’Italia, which also crossed the Monte Grappa and finished in Asiago.

St 9a – Conegliano Veneto – Valdobbiadene, 75.6km. Nothing to look forward to here other than a day of split stage hell to end the 9 days of racing. The category 3 and 2 climbs will be hated by everyone other than the stage winner!

St 9b – ITT – Ca’ del Poggio, 21km. Walking the tightrope of brilliance and insanity, the race is to apply for permission to start the final 20 GC riders at intervals equal to their GC standing. The route for the 21km uphill time trial features two stretches where the slope hits 10-12% (Manzana and Confin) and the last 800 meters that reach 18% on the Wall of Ca ‘del Poggio, the symbolic climb of the Prosecco Hills.


Brutal!
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,226
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

20 Feb 2018 12:11

Awesome, but maybe a bit too brutal for a u23 race :D ?
User avatar Samamba
Member
 
Posts: 1,609
Joined: 10 May 2015 11:45

20 Feb 2018 14:06

So after the Dauphiné had better mountain stages than the Tour last year, the same holds true for the Babygiro and the freaking Giro itself this year.

That's... both impressive and depressing.
Devil's Elbow
New Member
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 20 Sep 2017 19:50
Location: The Netherlands

Re:

21 Feb 2018 20:43

JoeD1997 wrote:A lot of U23s (although only Polartec-Kometa from the bigger U23 teams) are racing on the 22nd at the Tour of Antalya stage race in Turkey (UCI 2.2).

Leopard: Gessner, Quarterman, Wirtgen
Tirol: Brkic, Dobbs, Zimmermann
Polartec: Sevilla, Habtom, Camacho, Canton, Gamper, Gazzoli, Pena
Eritrea: Habtemichael and Mebrahtom (both won a stage at the Tour de l'Espoir a few weeks ago)
Nice Devo Team: Colombian Johan Sebastian Jaimes Mendoza (he has no records on PCS, anyone know anything about him?)
Other riders: Salim Kipkemboi (4th overall and stage win Sharjah Tour) + Suleiman Kangani (BikeAid), Nikita Sokolov + Alexey Voloshin (Vino-Astana), Yuriy Natarov + Galym Akhmetov - 2nd/3rd in Capodarco last season (Astana City)

The race itself looks pretty hilly on profile. Not sure how to attach images so I've linked the race website which has some info on the stages here: http://tourofantalya.com/tr/etaplar

There is a 32.5km ITT, with 20KM flat then the last 12.5km up a cat two climb that leads onto a cat 1 climb to the finish.


One question:
What the **** is a Danish (national) team doing there?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,818
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re: Re:

22 Feb 2018 12:15

RedheadDane wrote:
JoeD1997 wrote:A lot of U23s (although only Polartec-Kometa from the bigger U23 teams) are racing on the 22nd at the Tour of Antalya stage race in Turkey (UCI 2.2).

Leopard: Gessner, Quarterman, Wirtgen
Tirol: Brkic, Dobbs, Zimmermann
Polartec: Sevilla, Habtom, Camacho, Canton, Gamper, Gazzoli, Pena
Eritrea: Habtemichael and Mebrahtom (both won a stage at the Tour de l'Espoir a few weeks ago)
Nice Devo Team: Colombian Johan Sebastian Jaimes Mendoza (he has no records on PCS, anyone know anything about him?)
Other riders: Salim Kipkemboi (4th overall and stage win Sharjah Tour) + Suleiman Kangani (BikeAid), Nikita Sokolov + Alexey Voloshin (Vino-Astana), Yuriy Natarov + Galym Akhmetov - 2nd/3rd in Capodarco last season (Astana City)

The race itself looks pretty hilly on profile. Not sure how to attach images so I've linked the race website which has some info on the stages here: http://tourofantalya.com/tr/etaplar

There is a 32.5km ITT, with 20KM flat then the last 12.5km up a cat two climb that leads onto a cat 1 climb to the finish.


One question:
What the **** is a Danish (national) team doing there?


Who knows, I didn't recognise any of the names on their roster though.

Meanwhile in stage one, Polartec-Kometa's Italian U23 RR champ Matteo Moschetti beats Jakub Mareczko and Leopard's U23 sprinter Konrad Gessner to take the win in what looked like a relatively small bunch sprint.

Image here is from the Polartec-Kometa Twitter account of the sprint: https://mobile.twitter.com/PolartecKometa/status/966645739525951488/photo/1
JosephD
Junior Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 23 Nov 2013 13:51

22 Feb 2018 13:30

Geßner isn't U23 anymore, though.
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,355
Joined: 28 Sep 2010 04:32
Location: There there.

Re: U23 races and talents

22 Feb 2018 13:40

Max Rockatansky wrote:That's a brutal time trial.

13,3k @ 7,7% after 20 k of mostly flat ITT. Why isn't something like this in a GC?!


Apparently it was all too good to be true, as PCS now reports it is not an ITT but a very short mountain stage :(
JoeD1997
Junior Member
 
Posts: 101
Joined: 10 May 2017 10:50

Re:

22 Feb 2018 13:41

Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:Geßner isn't U23 anymore, though.


My mistake, oops :D . I thought as he was still 22 he would be counted as a U23, he must be older than the cut off date to be a U23
JoeD1997
Junior Member
 
Posts: 101
Joined: 10 May 2017 10:50

22 Feb 2018 17:03

So Mareczko cant even win **** stages anymore. Congrats to Polartec with their first win.
User avatar Kazistuta
Member
 
Posts: 1,420
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 06:18
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

22 Feb 2018 19:25

On the stage diagrams for this race, there are three types of intermediate sprints marked. The orange ones are KoM, but what is the reason for/distinction between the yellow and green sprint points?
User avatar Armchair cyclist
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,027
Joined: 22 Mar 2010 17:28
Location: East of England, West of Ireland

Re: Re:

22 Feb 2018 19:40

JosephD wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
JoeD1997 wrote:A lot of U23s (although only Polartec-Kometa from the bigger U23 teams) are racing on the 22nd at the Tour of Antalya stage race in Turkey (UCI 2.2).

Leopard: Gessner, Quarterman, Wirtgen
Tirol: Brkic, Dobbs, Zimmermann
Polartec: Sevilla, Habtom, Camacho, Canton, Gamper, Gazzoli, Pena
Eritrea: Habtemichael and Mebrahtom (both won a stage at the Tour de l'Espoir a few weeks ago)
Nice Devo Team: Colombian Johan Sebastian Jaimes Mendoza (he has no records on PCS, anyone know anything about him?)
Other riders: Salim Kipkemboi (4th overall and stage win Sharjah Tour) + Suleiman Kangani (BikeAid), Nikita Sokolov + Alexey Voloshin (Vino-Astana), Yuriy Natarov + Galym Akhmetov - 2nd/3rd in Capodarco last season (Astana City)

The race itself looks pretty hilly on profile. Not sure how to attach images so I've linked the race website which has some info on the stages here: http://tourofantalya.com/tr/etaplar

There is a 32.5km ITT, with 20KM flat then the last 12.5km up a cat two climb that leads onto a cat 1 climb to the finish.


One question:
What the **** is a Danish (national) team doing there?


Who knows, I didn't recognise any of the names on their roster though.


It's actually a rather weird situation, as the entire team consists of riders - and staff - from a local Danish team, as in; a team from the level below Continental. They're just riding as the Danish National team because of the rules.
Guess there are also certain rules about what riders can be picked for national teams - if it's done the traditional way - in a cat. 2 race; probably not allowed to just make a team consisting solely of WT riders.
Probably not that many WT teams who'd let their riders go off and do a cat. 2 race.

And this definitely isn't a U23 race; Pozzato is racing!
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,818
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

25 Feb 2018 10:07

Junior season starts today with Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne.

Remeco Evenepoel (signed with Axeon for 2019) on the start. If you are interested check my blog for more details and race preview:

http://cyclingu19.blogspot.com/2018/02/kuurne-brussel-kuurne-2018-preview.html
User avatar Wallenquist
Member
 
Posts: 512
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 11:24
Location: Poland

Re:

26 Feb 2018 21:44

Wallenquist wrote:Junior season starts today with Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne.

Remeco Evenepoel (signed with Axeon for 2019) on the start. If you are interested check my blog for more details and race preview:

http://cyclingu19.blogspot.com/2018/02/kuurne-brussel-kuurne-2018-preview.html


Thanks wallenquist, you know the winners at junior level. I enjoyed the reading. And I was late in posting the information of his 2019 contract.
User avatar rote_laterne
Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: 06 Jan 2014 20:21

18 Mar 2018 17:33

Image

Evenepoel is ridiculous.
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,226
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

24 Mar 2018 20:47

Tomorrow we have first event of Junior Nations Cup, Gent Wevelgem. Remco Evenepol is an obvious favorite after his recent wins. He said to me that he will try to make the race as hard as possible :) let's see if anyone can match him.

If you are interested, more in my preview:

https://cyclingu19.blogspot.com/2018/03/gent-wevelgem-juniors-2018-preview.html
User avatar Wallenquist
Member
 
Posts: 512
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 11:24
Location: Poland

25 Mar 2018 10:58

Evenepoel only 11th this time. Manfredi won, a Norwegian with a really long name came 2nd and the American Simmons completes the podium.
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,226
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

25 Mar 2018 14:23

The Kattekoers - the U23 edition of Gent-Wevelgem - sees a Slovenian win:

1. Ziga Jerman (Slovénie)
2. Jake Stewart (Grande-Bretagne)
3. Mathieu Burgaudeau (France)
4. Andreas Krön (Norvège)
5. Mikkel Frolich Honore (Norvège)
6. Hakon Lunder Aalrust (Norvège)
7. Sean Bennett (USA)
8. Max Kanter (Allemagne)
9. Gabriel Cullaigh (Grande-Bretagne)
10. Johannes Schinnagel (Allemagne)

The first seven riders were part of a breakaway group that barely made it to the finish. Kanter won the sprint of the main field.
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,355
Joined: 28 Sep 2010 04:32
Location: There there.

07 Apr 2018 22:15

U23 Flanders
Well done to the Aussies
Whelan the win
Stannard sprint for 3rd
Monk 10th after being in the break of day

Rnk Rider Time
1 WHELAN James 4:07:57
2 KANTER Max 0:06
3 STANNARD Robert ,,
4 MALECKI Kamil ,,
5 STOKBRO Andreas ,,
6 HIRSCHI Marc ,,
7 BENNETT Sean ,,
8 TOUZE Damien ,,
9 ROCCHETTI Filippo ,,
10 MONK Cyrus
User avatar swuzzlebubble
Member
 
Posts: 584
Joined: 02 Nov 2009 00:30

08 Apr 2018 09:29

Paris Roubaix Juniors is today, check my preview fi you want more info and read some thoughts from some of the race favorites: https://goo.gl/rCAzTN

Remco Evenepoel big favorite but Manfredi, Waerenksjold and Daniel Arnes may surprise as well. And obviously Denmark
User avatar Wallenquist
Member
 
Posts: 512
Joined: 10 Feb 2013 11:24
Location: Poland

08 Apr 2018 12:10

1. Askey, 2. Manfredi, 3. Skjelmose.
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,226
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dukerojo, ice&fire, Jungle Cycle, roundabout, Tim Booth, tobydawq and 51 guests

Back to top