Register

U23 races and talents

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

08 Apr 2017 18:02

Impressive ride by Dunbar.
At the same time 19 year old Marco Negrente (Team Colpack) got his first win as an U23 rider, he won the Trofeo Edil C by beating Lucas Hamilton in a 2 men sprint.
Aliaksandr Riabushenko won the reduced bunch sprint for 3rd place behind them, German Nicolas Tivani Perez finished 4th.
User avatar Mayomaniac

09 Apr 2017 09:13

Narvaez is the new leader in Circuit des Ardennes with only one stage remaining. Vamos!
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

09 Apr 2017 09:25

DNP-Old wrote:Narvaez is the new leader in Circuit des Ardennes with only one stage remaining. Vamos!

And without bad luck he'll hold on this afternoon. Great days for Axeon with Eddie yesterday and Narvaez yesterday and today. Pretty impressive for a 20 year old Ecuadorian in a Belgian race between some (ex-)pros.
User avatar Samamba

Re: Re:

09 Apr 2017 09:39

Samamba wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:Narvaez is the new leader in Circuit des Ardennes with only one stage remaining. Vamos!

And without bad luck he'll hold on this afternoon. Great days for Axeon with Eddie yesterday and Narvaez yesterday and today. Pretty impressive for a 20 year old Ecuadorian in a Belgian race between some (ex-)pros.
It's in France, very close to the Belgian border though.

Narvaez is an amazing talent.
User avatar Popchu

09 Apr 2017 09:50

Popchu wrote:
Samamba wrote:

It's in France, very close to the Belgian border though.

Narvaez is an amazing talent.

The queen stage was in Belgium, but indeed the other stages are in France.
User avatar Samamba

09 Apr 2017 18:00

Samamba wrote:Great days for Axeon with Eddie yesterday and Narvaez yesterday and today. Pretty impressive for a 20 year old Ecuadorian in a Belgian race between some (ex-)pros.

They have a ridiculous concentration of talents at that team. Costa, Dunbar, Owen, Powless, Narvaez etc. Guys who would be the obvious star elsewhere. For the last two years at least they have been head and shoulders above any other development team. In theory they could put a team into LBL U23 containing about half of all the riders in the field who would get previews stars.

Why are they so strong, by the way? Do they have much more money than other development teams? Or do they have a much better scouting operation?
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

14 Apr 2017 22:24

Exciting days for the pros, but also for the U23 riders with the Ronde van Vlaanderen last week and Liège-Bastogne-Liège this weekend. One of the races I look forward too each year.

Big favorites for tomorrow are obviously the Axeon boys who are starting with an incredibly strong team. Not only last years winner Logan Owen will be there, but also last weeks winner Eddie Dunbar, in form Narvaez and last but not least the American duo Costa - Powless. They'll need to fight off other strong teams like BMC with Sivakov, Muller, Hirschi & Turgis, Lotto Soudal with their young Belgian climbing duo Lambrecht - Vanhoucke and Mitchelton-Scott with Hamilton, Storer & Hindley. Guys like Paret-Peintre, Gall, Knox, etc. can also be in the mix.

User avatar Samamba

15 Apr 2017 14:55

L-B-L u23:

1. Bjorg Lambrecht (Lotto Soudal)
2. James Knox (Wiggins)
3. Lucas Hamilton (Australia/Scott)
4. William Barta (Axeon)

Those 4 attacked on the Cote de la Roche aux Faucons and stayed away.
Last edited by Samamba on 15 Apr 2017 15:57, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar Samamba

15 Apr 2017 14:55

Lambrecht wins U 23 LBL. Impressive considering he had a late start to the season due to a foot fracture.
Last edited by the asian on 15 Apr 2017 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar the asian

Re:

15 Apr 2017 14:57

the asian wrote:Lambrecht wins U 23 LBL. Impressive considering he had a late start to the season .

Only 3 official race days (+ 2 crits) before today.
User avatar Samamba

15 Apr 2017 14:59

Samamba wrote:
the asian wrote:Lambrecht wins U 23 LBL. Impressive considering he had a late start to the season .

Yep.

What do you feel regarding the youngsters born in 1997 & 1998.

I think there is some serious talent there.
User avatar the asian

15 Apr 2017 15:03

the asian wrote:
Samamba wrote:

Yep.

1997 has incredible climbing talents (not only the usual Bernal & Costa, but also guys like Storer, Lambrecht, Higuita, Vanhoucke, Sivakov (although he's more alround)) and it looks like 1998 has incredible classic talents like Turgis, Hirschi, Philipsen, ...

Spoken of Philipsen, I think he just came second in the 3th nation cup of the year, the ZLM Tour, just behind Lawless. He's soooo good. I'm a bit salty that he chose BMC over Lotto though :D
User avatar Samamba

15 Apr 2017 15:30

User avatar Samamba

15 Apr 2017 15:41

Samamba wrote:
the asian wrote:
Samamba wrote:

Yep.

1997 has incredible climbing talents (not only the usual Bernal & Costa, but also guys like Storer, Lambrecht, Higuita, Vanhoucke, Sivakov (although he's more alround)) and it looks like 1998 has incredible classic talents like Turgis, Hirschi, Philipsen, ...

Spoken of Philipsen, I think he just came second in the 3th nation cup of the year, the ZLM Tour, just behind Lawless. He's soooo good. I'm a bit salty that he chose BMC over Lotto though :D

My take too, 97 more GC talent, 98 more Classics talent. Hirschi seems an all rounder too. Interestingly he sees himself as a climber.
Phillipsen looks crazily good.
User avatar the asian

15 Apr 2017 17:43

the asian wrote:
Samamba wrote:
the asian wrote:
Samamba wrote:

Yep.

My take too, 97 more GC talent, 98 more Classics talent. Hirschi seems an all rounder too. Interestingly he sees himself as a climber.
Phillipsen looks crazily good.

Hirschi does have the body type of a climber, he is indeed pretty allround but a lot of the big talents can do well on all kind of terrains in the youth categories, I think Hirschi will turn out to be a climber though!
User avatar Ruudz0r

15 Apr 2017 17:50

The little talk about groups of riders being born in various years made me remember something a bit scary:
In just a few years we'll very likely be talking about riders being born in 2000. In fact, how old are the youngest riders in the Junior World Championships? 17? Coz if so, then riders born in year 2000 might be riding - and get noticed - at the World Championships this year.

(And I still partly think that riders born in 1990 are U23 riders. They're just two years younger than I am... I feel old now...)
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

15 Apr 2017 18:07

RedheadDane wrote:The little talk about groups of riders being born in various years made me remember something a bit scary:
In just a few years we'll very likely be talking about riders being born in 2000. In fact, how old are the youngest riders in the Junior World Championships? 17? Coz if so, then riders born in year 2000 might be riding - and get noticed - at the World Championships this year.

And I still partly think that riders born in 1990 are U23 riders. They're just two years younger than I am... I feel old now...)

The youngest at the Worlds will be 16 (if they didnt have their birthday yet by the time the Worlds start). Riders from 2000 are now 1st year juniors (u19)
User avatar Ruudz0r

16 Apr 2017 01:13

Riders from 2000 have already took part in a World Championship (cyclocross one).
The next big thing is born in 1999 - Tom Pidcock.
Cordi333

17 Apr 2017 20:28

Alexandr Riabushenko just won the Giro del Belvedere ahead of Lucas Hamilton and Matteo Fabbro. Fabbro and Hamilton attacked on the Montaner climb, then Riabushenko was able to carth up to them on the short, Via delle Longhe climb (ok, more of a short ramp).
The top 10:
1 RIABUSHENKO Aleksandr Blr - Soligo Amaru' Sirio Palazzago

2 HAMILTON Lucas Aus - Mitchelton Scott

3 FABBRO Matteo Friuli Cycling Team a 4"

4 SAVINI Daniel Maltinti Lampadari BCC a 17"

5 COSTA Adrien Usa - Axeon Hagens Berman

6 POWLESS Neilson Usa - Axeon Hagens Berman a 23"

7 ZILIO Giacomo Zalf Euromobil Désirée Fior a 30"

8 STORER Michael Aus - Mitchelton Scott

9 ROMANO Francesco Soligo Amaru' Sirio Palazzago

10 POGACAR Tadej Slo - ROG Ljubljana

source: http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&tp=n&cod=100130
Edit: a short highlights video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sklv9yfqofg
it looks like Hamilton was the strongest on the longer climb, but Fabbro was only a bit behind him at the top of the climb.
Last edited by Mayomaniac on 17 Apr 2017 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re:

17 Apr 2017 20:32

Cordi333 wrote:Riders from 2000 have already took part in a World Championship (cyclocross one).
The next big thing is born in 1999 - Tom Pidcock.

Considering this is the Road Racing section, I thought it was pretty clear that we're talking about the Road World Championships.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing