Register

U23 races and talents

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re:

16 Jul 2016 17:51

DNP-Old wrote:Aguirre coming back to life, which is a huge positive. He's lightyears ahead of Reyes in terms of pure talent. Unfortunately, talent alone isn't enough. Hope he gets it together on a consistent basis. Higuita also putting in work, despite his very young age.

Anyone care to tell me what sort of race Volta do Futuro is? Since Miguel Florez seems to be doing pretty good and is finally confirming, along with his BRC teammates.

Aguirre, Reyes and Higuita can make an impression in the WT in a couple of years.

Colombia's future remain bright, with also Florez shining in the Volta a Portugal do Futuro :)
User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

16 Jul 2016 23:47

What a great rider he looks to be, Enric Mas. Great climber, not a shabby tt'er (judging by his Tour de Savoie win) and he seems to have a good finish on him too. If he can keep this up he looks like a future GT prospect judging by his allround ability.
Bushman

Re:

17 Jul 2016 00:07

Bushman wrote:What a great rider he looks to be, Enric Mas. Great climber, not a shabby tt'er (judging by his Tour de Savoie win) and he seems to have a good finish on him too. If he can keep this up he looks like a future GT prospect judging by his allround ability.

Jep, if EQS wants him, they need to act quickly because other teams will line up after this new great performance. Not that he's a bad TT'er, but the Savoie TT isn't the best reference cause it was a very hilly parcours with some steep sections.

I think he will be the first (former) rider of the Contador team that can make it to the pros an do something there in a few years.
User avatar Samamba

17 Jul 2016 10:59

Very exciting finish of the this years Giro Valle d'Aosta. With 2km to go, the virtual GC is the following:

1. Frankiny
2. Padun +7s
3. Mas +10s
User avatar Samamba

17 Jul 2016 11:00

Finish:

1 & 2 for Colpack: Ravasi and Padun.
3. Mas
4. Frankiny

Frankiny wins the GC!
2. Mas 8"
3. Padun 11"
User avatar Samamba

Re: Re:

17 Jul 2016 12:45

Samamba wrote:
Bushman wrote:What a great rider he looks to be, Enric Mas. Great climber, not a shabby tt'er (judging by his Tour de Savoie win) and he seems to have a good finish on him too. If he can keep this up he looks like a future GT prospect judging by his allround ability.

Jep, if EQS wants him, they need to act quickly because other teams will line up after this new great performance. Not that he's a bad TT'er, but the Savoie TT isn't the best reference cause it was a very hilly parcours with some steep sections.

I think he will be the first (former) rider of the Contador team that can make it to the pros an do something there in a few years.

Sounds like a description of a young Contador himself.
User avatar perico

17 Jul 2016 13:48

Except that Contador has never shown anything in (international) U23 races.
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

Re:

17 Jul 2016 17:19

Samamba wrote:Finish:

1 & 2 for Colpack: Ravasi and Padun.
3. Mas
4. Frankiny

Frankiny wins the GC!
2. Mas 8"
3. Padun 11"

Wow, so the gc was really decided by the TTT, Colpack are probably shouldn't have let Ganna ride the Track U23 EC right now, but who knows, if the gap was smaller it would have totally changed the dynamic of the race on stage 2.
User avatar Mayomaniac

17 Jul 2016 17:40

You do realize that Filippo Ganna just rode one of the most remarkable IP performances in history?

The TTT had no influence on the GC here at all.

Re:

17 Jul 2016 17:48

Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:You do realize that Filippo Ganna just rode one of the most remarkable IP performances in history?

The TTT had no influence on the GC here at all.

Of course, wasn't it the all time 4th or 5th best IP performance?
The whole team lost over 1min to the race winners team, so it had an influence.
You can argue that Padun wouldn't have been allowed to attack on stage 2 if the gap was smaller, that could have totally changed the dynamic of the whole race, but everyone probably thought that Ravasi was their team leader, so who really knows.
User avatar Mayomaniac

17 Jul 2016 18:13

19 year old Vincenzo Albanese wins Trofeo Matteotti.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

19 Jul 2016 12:48

Samamba wrote:

Jep, if EQS wants him, they need to act quickly because other teams will line up after this new great performance.

EQS signed him.
Gonna keep my eye on him. I think he can be big one day.
User avatar Samamba

23 Jul 2016 07:55

Colombia for Tour de l'Avenir: Egan Bernal, Daniel Martínez, Jhon Rodríguez, Miguel Flórez, Wilmar Paredes y Iván Sosa
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

23 Jul 2016 08:02

DNP-Old wrote:Colombia for Tour de l'Avenir: Egan Bernal, Daniel Martínez, Jhon Rodríguez, Miguel Flórez, Wilmar Paredes y Iván Sosa

what a weird selection. obviously federation still hates postobon and saldarriaga, although that is understandable
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Veteran

23 Jul 2016 08:26

Bernal surely must be the top favourite for the race, no? With Mas as his main threat and then the likes of Geoghegan Hart, Frankiny, Lambrecht and Schackmann and a couple of French guys there trying to spoil the party.

Will Powless go from US team? Would be interesting to see him there
Bushman

Re:

23 Jul 2016 10:14

Bushman wrote:Bernal surely must be the top favourite for the race, no? With Mas as his main threat and then the likes of Geoghegan Hart, Frankiny, Lambrecht and Schackmann and a couple of French guys there trying to spoil the party.

It's way to early for Lambrecht to have a chance here. I wouldn't underestimate the American team with Powless and Costa.
User avatar Samamba

23 Jul 2016 10:17

Samamba wrote:
It's way to early for Lambrecht to have a chance here. I wouldn't underestimate the American team with Powless and Costa.

Lambrecht is four months older then Costa. :o

Re:

23 Jul 2016 10:40

Bushman wrote:Bernal surely must be the top favourite for the race, no? With Mas as his main threat and then the likes of Geoghegan Hart, Frankiny, Lambrecht and Schackmann and a couple of French guys there trying to spoil the party.

Mas could be a bit tired after Aosta and winning the Tour de Savoie Mont Blanc before it.
Bernal should be th favourite, but Tao Geoghegan Hart and the American team could also do well, maybe Kämna and Schachmann will do well, I don't really know much about the French riders. No idea what to expect from the Italian team, maybe Carboni could do something.
I have to agree with Ryo, the Colombian team looks really odd, but the whole situation between the federation and Saldarriaga seems to be a mess.
Last edited by Mayomaniac on 23 Jul 2016 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Mayomaniac

23 Jul 2016 10:40

Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:
Samamba wrote:

Lambrecht is four months older then Costa. :o

Costa is more talented... Lambrecht had a great year but he was only 10th in the Savoie en Aosta. Thats great for a first year but not good enough to have a chance in the tour de l'avenir. Plus there is a timetrial that suits Costa way more than Lambrecht.
User avatar Samamba

23 Jul 2016 10:47

Mayomaniac wrote:

Mas could be a bit tired after Aosta and winning the Tour de Savoie Mont Blanc before it.
Bernal should be th favourite, but Tao Geoghegan Hart and the American team could also do well, maybe Kämna and Schachmann will do well, I don't really know much about the French riders. No idea what to expect from the Italian team, maybe Carboni could do something.
I have to agree with Ryo, the Colombian team looks really odd, but the whole situation between the federation and Saldarriaga seems to be a mess.

Carboni isn't good enough, maybe Ravasi if he doesn't have his typical bad day. Bernal is the favorite but the TT is way better for the Americans, Tao, Mas and ofcourse Schachmann but I don't think he's gonna make it in the mountains. Kamna didn't do anything this year.

For the French. I expect guys like Gaudu, Leo Vincent and Paret Peintre. Gaudu and Vincent are good enough to win a stage but are probably gonna focus on their pro team now cause they will be a stagiair so I don't know how good they are gonna be in l'Avenir.
User avatar Samamba

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing