Log in:  

Register

Enric Mas Rising Star

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

17 Jun 2018 14:22

Only 8 seconds from the podium in the end. Pretty good TT!
A top-10 at the Vuelta seems likely at this point, and even top-5 is possible.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,582
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

18 Jun 2018 01:02

He should ride for the win. He’s got the talent.
User avatar perico
Member
 
Posts: 1,211
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 21:57

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

18 Jun 2018 14:29

perico wrote:He should ride for the win. He’s got the talent.


But not the team. Qs cant defend a jersey in the mountains. Or do you expect Serry, Knox and Capecchi to suddenly control the peloton when the road goes up?
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,539
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

18 Jun 2018 20:11

Akuryo wrote:
perico wrote:He should ride for the win. He’s got the talent.


But not the team. Qs cant defend a jersey in the mountains. Or do you expect Serry, Knox and Capecchi to suddenly control the peloton when the road goes up?

Alaphilippe, Vakoc, De Plus, Devenyns and Jungles are pretty good climbers, right?
Cinemaniak
Junior Member
 
Posts: 57
Joined: 27 May 2016 10:08

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

19 Jun 2018 03:46

Cinemaniak wrote:
Akuryo wrote:
perico wrote:He should ride for the win. He’s got the talent.


But not the team. Qs cant defend a jersey in the mountains. Or do you expect Serry, Knox and Capecchi to suddenly control the peloton when the road goes up?

Alaphilippe, Vakoc, De Plus, Devenyns and Jungles are pretty good climbers, right?


Alaphilippe is a puncheur, not a climber, Vakoc, De Plus and Devenyns were all pretty much injured nonstop this year and Jungels is the captain for the Tour. :o
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,539
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

19 Jun 2018 17:38

Akuryo wrote:
Cinemaniak wrote:
Akuryo wrote:
perico wrote:He should ride for the win. He’s got the talent.


But not the team. Qs cant defend a jersey in the mountains. Or do you expect Serry, Knox and Capecchi to suddenly control the peloton when the road goes up?

Alaphilippe, Vakoc, De Plus, Devenyns and Jungles are pretty good climbers, right?


Alaphilippe is a puncheur, not a climber, Vakoc, De Plus and Devenyns were all pretty much injured nonstop this year and Jungels is the captain for the Tour. :o


I don't see why Jungels couldn't also ride the Vuelta and help Mas.
User avatar cellardoor
Member
 
Posts: 548
Joined: 05 Apr 2015 03:28
Location: Thailand

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

19 Jun 2018 18:21

cellardoor wrote:
Akuryo wrote:
Cinemaniak wrote:
Akuryo wrote:
perico wrote:He should ride for the win. He’s got the talent.


But not the team. Qs cant defend a jersey in the mountains. Or do you expect Serry, Knox and Capecchi to suddenly control the peloton when the road goes up?

Alaphilippe, Vakoc, De Plus, Devenyns and Jungles are pretty good climbers, right?


Alaphilippe is a puncheur, not a climber, Vakoc, De Plus and Devenyns were all pretty much injured nonstop this year and Jungels is the captain for the Tour. :o


I don't see why Jungels couldn't also ride the Vuelta and help Mas.


Still, that is only one reliable helper. You may not need a strong team to finish top 5 but for a win/podium, a great team is almost always necessary. And as much as I like Quickstep, mountain support is not their strong suit.
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,539
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

20 Jun 2018 00:06

Hmmm... it’s possible. I guess I missed Jesus pacing the leaders up the steep climbs in 2014, and nobody else from Tinkoff-Saxo was anywhere near the front that year.
User avatar perico
Member
 
Posts: 1,211
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 21:57

27 Jun 2018 13:54

I feared that after the good June he had, QS might take him to the Tour. Glad it didn't happen, cause this way he can go full ham on the Vuelta! But what will the team look like besides Mas? I expect something like Hodeg, Jakobsen, Serry, Devenyns, Capecchi and maybe De Plus, if his recovery goes along as nicely as it did so far. Last spot could be Keisse as a road captain, since he will miss the Tour. That would be a fairly balanced team with 2 neo pro sprinters, but also lots of experience and decent support for Enric! I know, the Tour hasn't even started and here I am speculating about a Vuelta squad but I am really excited for Mas.
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,539
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

27 Jun 2018 16:35

Viviani will ride the Vuelta - QS may take a neo-pro to the Vuelta - They won't take two.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,498
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

27 Jun 2018 17:10

In that case Sabatini is a lock, too.
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,539
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

17 Jul 2018 01:36

It had a reason why he moved from Mallorca to Andorra :)

Image
Image

"Entrenando en altura en Andorra / High-altitude training in Andorra"
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,539
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

17 Jul 2018 07:31

I expect something like Hodeg, Jakobsen, Serry, Devenyns, Capecchi and maybe De Plus,

Surely not both of them? It's a bit of competition between them I fear. Jakobsen being the bigger talent and (classic) pure, raw sprinting ability and Hodeg more of a 'Freire' perhaps.
Cinemaniak
Junior Member
 
Posts: 57
Joined: 27 May 2016 10:08

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

27 Aug 2018 15:32

Currently 13th overall. 42 seconds off Kwiat.
User avatar perico
Member
 
Posts: 1,211
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 21:57

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

27 Aug 2018 17:07

perico wrote:Currently 13th overall. 42 seconds off Kwiat.

Good start. Tomorrow will tell us if he can challenge for top-5
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,582
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

28 Aug 2018 16:00

He looked strong today but I'm slightly disappointed with how defensive he was. Always at the back of the group and neither pulling (understandable) nor attacking (less understandable) when the group slowed down. Anyway, he entered the top 10 and I'm hoping for more good performances in the coming weeks.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,754
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

28 Aug 2018 16:08

Gigs_98 wrote:He looked strong today but I'm slightly disappointed with how defensive he was. Always at the back of the group and neither pulling (understandable) nor attacking (less understandable) when the group slowed down. Anyway, he entered the top 10 and I'm hoping for more good performances in the coming weeks.

I think it is reasonable for him to ride cautiously in the early stages of the first GT he will ride for GC. If he is still feeling good later in the race, then he can attack. If there had been a stage win on the line today, perhaps that would have been different, but why risk so much to get 10-15 seconds?
shalgo
Member
 
Posts: 1,489
Joined: 11 Aug 2010 13:57
Location: Pale Blue Dot

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

28 Aug 2018 16:20

shalgo wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:He looked strong today but I'm slightly disappointed with how defensive he was. Always at the back of the group and neither pulling (understandable) nor attacking (less understandable) when the group slowed down. Anyway, he entered the top 10 and I'm hoping for more good performances in the coming weeks.

I think it is reasonable for him to ride cautiously in the early stages of the first GT he will ride for GC. If he is still feeling good later in the race, then he can attack. If there had been a stage win on the line today, perhaps that would have been different, but why risk so much to get 10-15 seconds?


Yeah I agree, especially since his prep was thrown off by the knee problems. Probably needed to prove to himself that he was in good shape. Needs to work on positioning, but had no trouble closing the gaps... much like The Great One.
User avatar perico
Member
 
Posts: 1,211
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 21:57

28 Aug 2018 16:29

At times I was willing him to move a bit further to the front of the pack, but in the end he survived just fine. The legs seem to be responding. Maybe he can try an attack on Sunday.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,582
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re:

28 Aug 2018 17:56

LaFlorecita wrote:At times I was willing him to move a bit further to the front of the pack, but in the end he survived just fine. The legs seem to be responding. Maybe he can try an attack on Sunday.

While being out of position at times, he jumped the gaps easily. I was happy with his performance.
User avatar perico
Member
 
Posts: 1,211
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 21:57

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tim Booth and 22 guests

Back to top