Register

Enric Mas Rising Star

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

02 Sep 2018 16:04

Damn, lost almost 1 minute today. Not ideal, but at the same time he managed to minimize his losses quite well. Still, hopefully it was just an off-day and not an indication of his shape.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

02 Sep 2018 16:29

Ofc we shouldn't jump to conclusions too early but let's just say, I fear this Vuelta will be the confirmation that he is not the next spanish super climber in the making.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

02 Sep 2018 17:23

Gigs_98 wrote:Ofc we shouldn't jump to conclusions too early but let's just say, I fear this Vuelta will be the confirmation that he is not the next spanish super climber in the making.

Oh come on, he's shown his talent plenty of times and now he has one bad day and suddenly we're going to be all pessimistic? Even if he can't finish high up on GC this Vuelta that doesn't mean anything about the rest of his career.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

02 Sep 2018 17:41

LaFlorecita wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:Ofc we shouldn't jump to conclusions too early but let's just say, I fear this Vuelta will be the confirmation that he is not the next spanish super climber in the making.

Oh come on, he's shown his talent plenty of times and now he has one bad day and suddenly we're going to be all pessimistic? Even if he can't finish high up on GC this Vuelta that doesn't mean anything about the rest of his career.

As I wrote I don't want to jump to conclusions yet, it's just that I fear he won't fulfill the expectations for this vuelta. And I disagree that that wouldn't mean anything. You are right that Mas has shown great climbing before, especially in the vuelta al pais vasco, but that was one breakaway win in a preparation race. It was mightily impressive but if that ends up being his most impressive performance of the year he showed progression from last year but not the kind of progression one would expect from a future gt winner. It's just that the climbers who were seen as future stars when they were still very young rarely have a slow progression and then suddenly turn great from one year to another. For the same reason I wrote after Soler's PN victory that I saw that race as confirmation that he will struggle to become a gt winner. Soler was good but not as good as you'd expect a future gt winner with 24 years.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

02 Sep 2018 18:11

QS is one of the best teams, but not for developing gc riders.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

Re:

02 Sep 2018 19:33

Kwibus wrote:QS is one of the best teams, but not for developing gc riders.

Yes, in a way. On the bright side, there usually is little competition for GC guys in the squad. In the Vuelta, it's him and De Plus. They can both take a shot at GC, there is no "big fish" in the team for whom they have to work and sacrifice their chances. So it depends on how you look at it. He gets a lot of freedom at QS just because there is no "top dog" GC contender in the team. It also means there is little support both in the team as well as the entourage for GC contenders unfortunately.

But neither Mas nor De Plus have had an easy season. For De Plus a top 15 in GC would be good, for Mas, maybe a top 10 to 12. Can't expect more given the circumstances and what happened the past months i think. That being said, i don't see a future GT winner in either of them, personally. Even if they're only 22 and 23 years old.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

02 Sep 2018 19:36

Gigs_98 wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

As I wrote I don't want to jump to conclusions yet, it's just that I fear he won't fulfill the expectations for this vuelta. And I disagree that that wouldn't mean anything. You are right that Mas has shown great climbing before, especially in the vuelta al pais vasco, but that was one breakaway win in a preparation race. It was mightily impressive but if that ends up being his most impressive performance of the year he showed progression from last year but not the kind of progression one would expect from a future gt winner. It's just that the climbers who were seen as future stars when they were still very young rarely have a slow progression and then suddenly turn great from one year to another. For the same reason I wrote after Soler's PN victory that I saw that race as confirmation that he will struggle to become a gt winner. Soler was good but not as good as you'd expect a future gt winner with 24 years.

I don't see him as a future GT winner. I see him becoming a very respectable GC climbers who'll win mountain stages, some one-week stage races and might have a shot at winning a GT at some point with some luck, but will more likely be a top-10 contender.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

02 Sep 2018 21:38

LaFlorecita wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

I don't see him as a future GT winner. I see him becoming a very respectable GC climbers who'll win mountain stages, some one-week stage races and might have a shot at winning a GT at some point with some luck, but will more likely be a top-10 contender.

I think he could get the level of Contador post 2011, so to win a 3 weeks race if the best riders are out of in bad shape. Of course the same as Contador, not the Tour. enric Mas has showed a impressive level so far for his age, as Contador did.

Contador was 31 in his first Tour, he didnt work for anybody, as Mas is ot working as well. I thing Mas will be top 20, wich is similar.
Anyway I think Contador was a better rider, he has difficult to get that level, but he on the way so far.
User avatar Taxus4a

03 Sep 2018 06:31

Of all the riders who won a GT in the past 15 years who managed to finish top10 in a GT at 24 years or less?
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

03 Sep 2018 06:41

Taxus4a wrote:I think he could get the level of Contador post 2011, so to win a 3 weeks race if the best riders are out of in bad shape. Of course the same as Contador, not the Tour. enric Mas has showed a impressive level so far for his age, as Contador did.

Contador was 31 in his first Tour, he didnt work for anybody, as Mas is ot working as well. I thing Mas will be top 20, wich is similar.
Anyway I think Contador was a better rider, he has difficult to get that level, but he on the way so far.

Jesus Christ.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

03 Sep 2018 12:07

LaFlorecita wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

Then our opinions don't differ that much anyway. What I was trying to say is that this vuelta might very well destroy the picture of Mas being the next contador, expectations that were never very reasonable anyway but where there nontheless.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

03 Sep 2018 12:24

LaFlorecita wrote:
Taxus4a wrote:I think he could get the level of Contador post 2011, so to win a 3 weeks race if the best riders are out of in bad shape. Of course the same as Contador, not the Tour. enric Mas has showed a impressive level so far for his age, as Contador did.

Jesus Christ.

Atleast you could restrain yourself to just this reply which is impressive enough I must add! :D
I
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

03 Sep 2018 12:35

Taxus4a wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

I think he could get the level of Contador post 2011, so to win a 3 weeks race if the best riders are out of in bad shape. Of course the same as Contador, not the Tour. enric Mas has showed a impressive level so far for his age, as Contador did.

And I am a Nigerian prince
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

07 Sep 2018 15:30

Great ride today! Very active at the front, and a nice result. Let's see what he can do in the next two stages, I think these steeper climbs suit him very well.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

07 Sep 2018 15:31

Seems like I panicked too early :)
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

07 Sep 2018 16:44

Positively surprised by Mas today.
Does he normally climbs better on short and steep climbs? Tomorrow could be a great opportunity for him.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re:

07 Sep 2018 16:52

SafeBet wrote:Positively surprised by Mas today.
Does he normally climbs better on short and steep climbs? Tomorrow could be a great opportunity for him.

It's my impression that he performs quite well on steep climbs. In Pais Vasco on Usartza he was amazing as well.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

07 Sep 2018 17:14

I was happy to see him there with the best until the final 50 meters!
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

07 Sep 2018 19:21

Today was a shorter climb and ofc steep. It suits Mas. So far he didn't impress me on longer gradual climbs yet.
Sunday will be a real test for him. Saturday will suit him as a glove
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

07 Sep 2018 19:48

He had a fever on the stage to Covatilla. Let’s see how the next two days go.
User avatar perico

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing