Log in:  

Register

Enric Mas Rising Star

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

28 Dec 2018 17:10

Jungels and Alaphilippe could actually be really amazing support riders for Mas if they sacrifice themselves. Especially Jungels if he does the Kiryienka and sheds everybody in the mountains. But that probably wont happen. QS has never been the "all for one guy" team. They will once again go for stages with 6 different riders instead of putting everybody around Mas.
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,712
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

28 Dec 2018 18:11

Wee 30 minute chat between Enric and Alberto. In Spanish
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20181227/alberto-contador-enric-mas-estado-puro/1859441.shtml

May be geoblocked (use a VPN)
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,945
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

28 Dec 2018 19:07

LaFlorecita wrote:Wee 30 minute chat between Enric and Alberto. In Spanish
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20181227/alberto-contador-enric-mas-estado-puro/1859441.shtml

May be geoblocked (use a VPN)

Doesn't appear to be geoblocked (can watch it in BE), unfortunately i still can't understand it :lol:
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,559
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 12:17

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

28 Dec 2018 19:28

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:Wee 30 minute chat between Enric and Alberto. In Spanish
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20181227/alberto-contador-enric-mas-estado-puro/1859441.shtml

May be geoblocked (use a VPN)

Doesn't appear to be geoblocked (can watch it in BE), unfortunately i still can't understand it :lol:



Well not understanding it, is an entirely different problem that not being able to watch it at all due to geoblocking. :lol: :lol:
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,409
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

28 Dec 2018 21:49

LaFlorecita wrote:Wee 30 minute chat between Enric and Alberto. In Spanish
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20181227/alberto-contador-enric-mas-estado-puro/1859441.shtml

May be geoblocked (use a VPN)


Enric Mas plan till July: Volta ao Algarve (February), Volta a Catalunya (March), Itzulia, Flèche Wallone Liège-Bastogne-Liège (April) and Tour de Suisse (June). Should have training camps in March and June.
Last edited by jfazendeiro on 29 Dec 2018 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar jfazendeiro
Junior Member
 
Posts: 99
Joined: 08 Aug 2017 17:33

Re: Enric Mas Rising Star

28 Dec 2018 21:56

jfazendeiro wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:Wee 30 minute chat between Enric and Alberto. In Spanish
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20181227/alberto-contador-enric-mas-estado-puro/1859441.shtml

May be geoblocked (use a VPN)


Enric Mas plan till July: Volta ao Algarve (February), Volta a Catalunya (March), Itzulia, Flèche Wallone Liège-Bastogne-Liège (April) and Tour de Suisse (June). Should have training camps in March and May.



Sounds like a good schedule/buildup before going to the Tour.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,409
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

29 Dec 2018 10:40

Akuryo wrote:Jungels and Alaphilippe could actually be really amazing support riders for Mas if they sacrifice themselves. Especially Jungels if he does the Kiryienka and sheds everybody in the mountains. But that probably wont happen. QS has never been the "all for one guy" team. They will once again go for stages with 6 different riders instead of putting everybody around Mas.

Fine by me, WTS went all in for Yates last year and we all know how that played out.

They've performed outstanding in GT's, a ridiculous amount of stages and plenty of GC results.
Breh
Member
 
Posts: 986
Joined: 24 Jun 2015 14:57

29 Dec 2018 10:55

It's not mutually exclusive. QS just needs to kill it in the TTT and then they don't really have to carry the race much for Mas anyway.

If it so happens to be that Mas becomes a player for yellow, the boys can sacrifice themselves. Jungels and Alaphilippe should be good enough in the mountains to prevent Mas getting isolated early. Only little issue with this is Jungels, who is a very marginal GC rider but a very good engine, will do the double. I don't think Jungels is good enough uphill to make all the important selections in the mountains if he's coming off a Giro.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 17,552
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

29 Dec 2018 11:39

Lack of team support could be a problem for Mas, although with Sky expecting to go all out "marginal gains" in their last TdF it's going to tough anyway. White jersey, top 10, maybe, a big learning experience - hope he can enjoy it.
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,781
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56

29 Dec 2018 13:34

Red Rick has nailed - Quick Step will do an excellent TTT and Mas will do a good ITT - Then it's a matter of following the Sky Train.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,983
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: Re:

29 Dec 2018 15:27

Breh wrote:
Akuryo wrote:Jungels and Alaphilippe could actually be really amazing support riders for Mas if they sacrifice themselves. Especially Jungels if he does the Kiryienka and sheds everybody in the mountains. But that probably wont happen. QS has never been the "all for one guy" team. They will once again go for stages with 6 different riders instead of putting everybody around Mas.

Fine by me, WTS went all in for Yates last year and we all know how that played out.

They've performed outstanding in GT's, a ridiculous amount of stages and plenty of GC results.


Of course it is/was the correct thing to do as a team but for Mas himself it would be better with full support. And according to this Contador is planning to go World Tour next year with his team and Enric Mas as the leader. Now that would be something...
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,712
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

Re: Re:

29 Dec 2018 15:30

Akuryo wrote:
Breh wrote:
Akuryo wrote:Jungels and Alaphilippe could actually be really amazing support riders for Mas if they sacrifice themselves. Especially Jungels if he does the Kiryienka and sheds everybody in the mountains. But that probably wont happen. QS has never been the "all for one guy" team. They will once again go for stages with 6 different riders instead of putting everybody around Mas.

Fine by me, WTS went all in for Yates last year and we all know how that played out.

They've performed outstanding in GT's, a ridiculous amount of stages and plenty of GC results.


Of course it is/was the correct thing to do as a team but for Mas himself it would be better with full support. And according to this Contador is planning to go World Tour next year with his team and Enric Mas as the leader. Now that would be something...

911? Yeah, I have an emergency. LaFlorecita just fainted, can you pick her up?
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 17,552
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

29 Dec 2018 15:39

yaco wrote:Red Rick has nailed - Quick Step will do an excellent TTT and Mas will do a good ITT - Then it's a matter of following the Sky Train.


You don't think then, that Sky have the same plan for Dawg? ;)
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,781
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56

Re: Re:

29 Dec 2018 15:58

Akuryo wrote:
Breh wrote:
Akuryo wrote:Jungels and Alaphilippe could actually be really amazing support riders for Mas if they sacrifice themselves. Especially Jungels if he does the Kiryienka and sheds everybody in the mountains. But that probably wont happen. QS has never been the "all for one guy" team. They will once again go for stages with 6 different riders instead of putting everybody around Mas.

Fine by me, WTS went all in for Yates last year and we all know how that played out.

They've performed outstanding in GT's, a ridiculous amount of stages and plenty of GC results.


Of course it is/was the correct thing to do as a team but for Mas himself it would be better with full support. And according to this Contador is planning to go World Tour next year with his team and Enric Mas as the leader. Now that would be something...


"according to this Contador is planning to go World Tour next year with his team and Enric Mas as the leader."

of course, this was published on 28 Decemer :D
Tim Booth
Member
 
Posts: 582
Joined: 18 Aug 2017 08:13

29 Dec 2018 16:14

Isn't it the Spanishs aprils fools?
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 17,552
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

29 Dec 2018 17:15

He seemed to be pretty genuine when saying it, though.
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,700
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

29 Dec 2018 17:24

Well, he was serious about the possibility of going WT, but of course he was sort of joking when he said Enric could be the leader.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,945
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

29 Dec 2018 17:28

Well, I'm not that into Spanish culture and just found out about their version of "april fools". But still, a team change after 2019 is actually pretty likely if he further develops as a gc rider. Cause lets be honest, Deceuninck is many things but not the place for a GT-contender. They have too many interests with classics (both cobbles and hills) and sprint trains that they cant fully support a rider during a grand tour in the mountains. IF they would take everybody they have it still wouldnt be an amazing team. If you compare Serry, Devenyns, Knox and Capecchi with the likes of the Sky train or the amount of mountain helpers at Movistar. :o

I am a huge fan of the team since forever and would like to keep every good rider but for Enric Mas I think a change in scenery would be the best. Or they actually cut down on the sprint trains and add some more climbers. But Lefevere likes to win and a sub-par sprinter/lead out guy will win more (****** small) races than a support rider when it goes uphill. Not to forget they are more expensive.
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,712
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

Re: Re:

29 Dec 2018 17:30

Robert5091 wrote:
yaco wrote:Red Rick has nailed - Quick Step will do an excellent TTT and Mas will do a good ITT - Then it's a matter of following the Sky Train.


You don't think then, that Sky have the same plan for Dawg? ;)


The fact is that MAS is unlikely to win the TDF - But the two TT's give him a good building block for the TDF - And you have no pressure as a GC contender at Quick Step - Also riding the TDF gives Quick Step more purchase to retain Mas.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,983
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

29 Dec 2018 21:44

Yes Dec 28th is Spain's version of April Fools Day. Would Contador like Mas on his team, I'm sure he would. However, Movistar has also voiced interest in him. If Mas wants a full team around him for a GT GC attempt Movistar (esp if they let both Landa and Quintana go at the end of the year) would be a good choice for him. He'd have Valverde still there to learn from. (Team wants to keep Valverde around as a coach/mentor after he retires, so he'll be there forever one way or another). Plus he'll have a team that knows how to go after GC. Although Contador would love to have him, that is unlikely, although not impossible.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,409
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Asero831, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Koronin, zigzag wanderer and 31 guests

Back to top