Register

Enric Mas Rising Star

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

30 Dec 2018 13:25

Akuryo wrote:Jungels and Alaphilippe could actually be really amazing support riders for Mas if they sacrifice themselves. Especially Jungels if he does the Kiryienka and sheds everybody in the mountains. But that probably wont happen. QS has never been the "all for one guy" team. They will once again go for stages with 6 different riders instead of putting everybody around Mas.

Het Nieuwsblad says Jungels will ride Giro and might ride Tour in 'a supporting role'.
Tim Booth

Re: Re:

30 Dec 2018 14:30

Akuryo wrote:
Breh wrote:
Akuryo wrote:Jungels and Alaphilippe could actually be really amazing support riders for Mas if they sacrifice themselves. Especially Jungels if he does the Kiryienka and sheds everybody in the mountains. But that probably wont happen. QS has never been the "all for one guy" team. They will once again go for stages with 6 different riders instead of putting everybody around Mas.

Fine by me, WTS went all in for Yates last year and we all know how that played out.

They've performed outstanding in GT's, a ridiculous amount of stages and plenty of GC results.

Of course it is/was the correct thing to do as a team but for Mas himself it would be better with full support. And according to this Contador is planning to go World Tour next year with his team and Enric Mas as the leader. Now that would be something...

That would be Awesome. Hopefully Alberto can put together a great support team for him. If anyone knows what it's like to be isolated early it's Alberto!

EDIT: Upon further reading in the thread I find it was said on Spanish April Fool's day. SAD :(
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

Re:

30 Dec 2018 15:23

Koronin wrote:Yes Dec 28th is Spain's version of April Fools Day. Would Contador like Mas on his team, I'm sure he would. However, Movistar has also voiced interest in him. If Mas wants a full team around him for a GT GC attempt Movistar (esp if they let both Landa and Quintana go at the end of the year) would be a good choice for him. He'd have Valverde still there to learn from. (Team wants to keep Valverde around as a coach/mentor after he retires, so he'll be there forever one way or another). Plus he'll have a team that knows how to go after GC. Although Contador would love to have him, that is unlikely, although not impossible.

He's already turned them down to stay with Lefevre before. Mas has little motive to work for either Landa or Nairo (whichever one stays after 2019) at the TdF to be fed scraps from another GT. Plus Movistar already have a super hype in Soler.
User avatar perico

30 Dec 2018 16:29

perico wrote:
Koronin wrote:Yes Dec 28th is Spain's version of April Fools Day. Would Contador like Mas on his team, I'm sure he would. However, Movistar has also voiced interest in him. If Mas wants a full team around him for a GT GC attempt Movistar (esp if they let both Landa and Quintana go at the end of the year) would be a good choice for him. He'd have Valverde still there to learn from. (Team wants to keep Valverde around as a coach/mentor after he retires, so he'll be there forever one way or another). Plus he'll have a team that knows how to go after GC. Although Contador would love to have him, that is unlikely, although not impossible.

He's already turned them down to stay with Lefevre before. Mas has little motive to work for either Landa or Nairo (whichever one stays after 2019) at the TdF to be fed scraps from another GT. Plus Movistar already have a super hype in Soler.

It's also very possible that both Landa and Quintana leave after 2019. I'd put more on Landa staying than Quintana. However, it wouldn't mean that Mas would be working for Landa. Also Movistar is happy sending a team to GTs with co leaders and thus neither one working for the other. Yes they have Soler, but Mr Unzue has said he would like to get Mas.
User avatar Koronin

30 Dec 2018 18:00

They also have Carapaz.

If Landa and Quintana leaves...

Carapaz, Soler and Mas for the future sound good. (if everybody happy to be there with the situation?)
With Valverde there for another 2 years. (maybe?)
Salvarani

Re:

30 Dec 2018 18:19

Salvarani wrote:They also have Carapaz.

If Landa and Quintana leaves...

Carapaz, Soler and Mas for the future sound good. (if everybody happy to be there with the situation?)
With Valverde there for another 2 years. (maybe?)

I think that would be correct. I think they can keep that group happy, at least for awhile. Part of that is due to personalities. Yes Valverde for possibly 2 more years, and then likely will still be around as a coach/mentor. The team has said they'll invent a position to keep him with the team after he no longer is racing. Coach/mentor makes the most sense as to what he'd be most comfortable doing.
User avatar Koronin

30 Dec 2018 18:31

Valverde can just ditch GT GCs after one more Vuelta and he won't interfere with anybody
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

30 Dec 2018 18:55

Red Rick wrote:Valverde can just ditch GT GCs after one more Vuelta and he won't interfere with anybody

I think that may be his plan. He said in an interview a month or two ago that his best GT GC days are behind him, but that he still would like one more shot at la Vuelta. Of course the next sentence he said if the team requests he still race for GC in GT's he'll still do it. He'll still go to GTs though and can mentor young riders on the team and basically be the team's fallback plan. He said when he was talking about wanting the Giro/Vuelta double that for the Giro he'd go and race for GC if that's what the team asks of him, but if Landa goes he'd help Landa because he feels Landa has a better shot at the Giro GC than he does. For 2020 and possibly 2021 (hopefully) whichever GTs he does it'll be in the role of mentor. Although he'll still be there to take some of the pressure off of whomever the team designates as race leader as he'll still be team leader and thus take on some of the responsibilities of leadership. It could be a good situation for Mas to go to and learn in without full pressure on him.
User avatar Koronin

31 Dec 2018 19:48

perico wrote:

Or you could see it in another perspective, Mas and Movistar were interested in each other, but Movistar didn't have the financial resources to sign Mas. So Mas decided to stay one more year with Lefevre and then makes the transfer to Movistar ( assuming Landa/Quintana or both will leave next year)
Moviestar

31 Dec 2018 19:49

The debacle with Quintana and Landa this year should give a rough idea to Mas why he wouldn't want to go there.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

31 Dec 2018 19:59

Red Rick wrote:The debacle with Quintana and Landa this year should give a rough idea to Mas why he wouldn't want to go there.

Landa was not a debacle, before he went into crash-mode he did well in Itzulia, Tirreno and Suisse in support of Quintana. Quintana on the other hand, i agree fully with you.
Moviestar

31 Dec 2018 20:54

Landa already talking of wanting to leave within months of joining the team is a disaster
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

01 Jan 2019 15:18

Red Rick wrote:Landa already talking of wanting to leave within months of joining the team is a disaster

Do you have a source on this? I've read multiple interviews where he stated that he feels happy with Movistar.
Moviestar

01 Jan 2019 15:49

bigcog wrote:l'equipe translation:

Three years after leaving the Astana team, in 2016, for Sky, before joining Movistar this season, Mikel Landa would once again be on the move. He would have offered his services to his former Kazakh employers, imagining himself as the sole leader on the great Tours. He explained that his relations with Nairo Quintana have deteriorated in recent times and that he does not see himself continuing the adventure at Movistar in these conditions, even if he still has one year of contract.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

02 Jan 2019 12:20

Supposedly Viviani is riding the Giro and the Vuelta - So it seems Mas will get more support at the TDF.
yaco

Re:

02 Jan 2019 23:05

yaco wrote:Supposedly Viviani is riding the Giro and the Vuelta - So it seems Mas will get more support at the TDF.

I highly doubt that. DQS has at least 3 kind of good sprinters for 2019 and Viviani is the best of them. I dont think Hodeg/Jakobsen will be the main guy for them in their second season in July, so after the departure of Gaviria, Elia Viviani will ride the Tour. There is no question about that. They have always been a team that tries to accomplish multiple agendas in a GT, most of all winning stages! They may send more helpers for Mas than they would've without his second place in the Vuelta but Viviani, Richeze and at least one more "lead out guy" will be on the roster for the Tour de France.
User avatar Akuryo

03 Jan 2019 00:02

Akuryo wrote:
yaco wrote:Supposedly Viviani is riding the Giro and the Vuelta - So it seems Mas will get more support at the TDF.

I highly doubt that. DQS has at least 3 kind of good sprinters for 2019 and Viviani is the best of them. I dont think Hodeg/Jakobsen will be the main guy for them in their second season in July, so after the departure of Gaviria, Elia Viviani will ride the Tour. There is no question about that. They have always been a team that tries to accomplish multiple agendas in a GT, most of all winning stages! They may send more helpers for Mas than they would've without his second place in the Vuelta but Viviani, Richeze and at least one more "lead out guy" will be on the roster for the Tour de France.

I agree that they will send Viviani and some helpers for him even though they will have Mas riding for GC. Both because they will also want a stagewin or more with Viviani, but also because they simply don't really have much mountainshelpers they could use instead. Mas best helpers will be Jungels and Alaphilippe no matter if Viviani starts and they can also help in Vivianis train, and besides those there are not much to come for in the mountains. Its not like riders like Capecchi or Knox would make much difference so no need to waste spots on them. They might chose to pick a rider like Devenyns or Serry that can climb and TTT decently instead of someone a bit more suited to help Viviani with Mas there, but again they would then also be of some help for Viviani. The most important thing for Mas will also just be to be well protected on the flat and have a decent TTT, and he should get that even with the team also riding for Viviani.
MADRAZO

03 Jan 2019 08:31

It's very unlikely Alaphilippe will have to work for anybody.
Breh

03 Jan 2019 09:10

Viviani will have at least 3-4 guys for his lead-out, if he goes. They cant have Alaphilipe ride as just a helper. Maybe in later stages if Mas has a good chance to actually win it, he will support. Thats 6-7 guys already, with Mas. Jungels? Or will he get leadership at Giro? The last 1-2 spots I guess will be to make up the team.

I really think Mas dont need to have a lot of help in the mountains also, other than 1-2 riders. If the team protect him on the flat and they have a good TTT. It will be up to Mas to then follow the sky-train and attack when he can on the end of stages. If he has the legs.
Salvarani

Re:

03 Jan 2019 12:15

Salvarani wrote:Viviani will have at least 3-4 guys for his lead-out, if he goes. They cant have Alaphilipe ride as just a helper. Maybe in later stages if Mas has a good chance to actually win it, he will support. Thats 6-7 guys already, with Mas. Jungels? Or will he get leadership at Giro? The last 1-2 spots I guess will be to make up the team.

I really think Mas dont need to have a lot of help in the mountains also, other than 1-2 riders. If the team protect him on the flat and they have a good TTT. It will be up to Mas to then follow the sky-train and attack when he can on the end of stages. If he has the legs.

I think the plan will be, to drop Mas off at the last climb.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing