Register

Enric Mas Rising Star

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

03 Jan 2019 12:31

I am repeating what Viviani stated in an article in CN - Mas may have two helpers - QS can still win stages with riders like Alaphalippe/Gilbert/Lampaert.
yaco

03 Jan 2019 14:46

Also Gazzetta in the paper edition some days ago reported that Viviani won't ride the Tour because his big objective is World Championship so he'll go to the Vuelta to be ready for it.

Like i've already said some days ago it's crazy to have him as leader in Yorkshire but he thinks that he can win and Cassani supports him so... :o
Nirvana

Re:

03 Jan 2019 15:23

Breh wrote:It's very unlikely Alaphilippe will have to work for anybody.

He will likely help a bit in the leadouts as he has done before, if Viviani is there, and if he is not in a breakaway for sure he can help a bit in the mountains too if it becomes relevant. Its not like he will ride GC so ofcourse he can and will help a bit in the stages he is not trying to win himself if its needed. But most of the time Mas will likely do fine on his own.
MADRAZO

Re:

03 Jan 2019 16:17

Nirvana wrote:Also Gazzetta in the paper edition some days ago reported that Viviani won't ride the Tour because his big objective is World Championship so he'll go to the Vuelta to be ready for it.

Like i've already said some days ago it's crazy to have him as leader in Yorkshire but he thinks that he can win and Cassani supports him so... :o

The 2018 italian championships weren't easy either, and he still won it.
rghysens

Re:

03 Jan 2019 16:37

Nirvana wrote:Also Gazzetta in the paper edition some days ago reported that Viviani won't ride the Tour because his big objective is World Championship so he'll go to the Vuelta to be ready for it.

It's not *that* crazy. I also think that the difficulty of the route is not outside of his capabilities.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

Re: Re:

03 Jan 2019 17:47

rghysens wrote:

The 2018 italian championships weren't easy either, and he still won it.

They were described as not easy by Cassani only for PR reasons but actually they were, there was only a 2 kms false flat and a 300 meters long wall in a 33 kms circuit with wide open roads. The race was easier than 2016 when the circuit was shorter, the wall was repeated more times, there were narrow roads and there was real climbing up to Ponte di Legno in the first half before entering in the circuit.
And the race was even served to him on a silver plate with how developed in the last two laps after Bahrain give up controlling the race and became a free for all.
Nirvana

03 Jan 2019 18:17

Regarding his capabilities to survive in harder races i think in this forum are generally overrated, last year in Sanremo after surviving the Poggio (and they didn't go all out) he was totally worn out and finished dead last of the group in the sprint, in Gent Wevelgem he survived Kemmelberg but then he was easily beated by Sagan that in a flat stage sprint he's very likely to lose against him. For sure is better than some years ago when he wasn't able to finish inside the time cut at the Giro after being dropped right at the start of Arezzo stage but there is only one performance from him that can be considered more a durable sprinter's one: http://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=425&y=2018
Nirvana

03 Jan 2019 18:39

Yeah Viviani is a pure sprinter. Simple as that. 0 classics potential whatsoever, and there's no chance in hell he's gonna make the final selection.

Italy has might as well choose Antonio Nibali as their team leader.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

03 Jan 2019 18:43

He couldn't even sprint properly in Milano-Sanremo because it had been too tough for him, so maybe relax a little. In Doha he also managed to cramp up right before the sprint.

Edit: I hadn't seen Nirvana's post before posting this.
User avatar tobydawq

03 Jan 2019 19:07

Surely an in-form Trentin or Moscon will be Italy's leader at the World's.
yaco

Re:

03 Jan 2019 19:58

Nirvana wrote:Regarding his capabilities to survive in harder races i think in this forum are generally overrated, last year in Sanremo after surviving the Poggio (and they didn't go all out) he was totally worn out and finished dead last of the group in the sprint, in Gent Wevelgem he survived Kemmelberg but then he was easily beated by Sagan that in a flat stage sprint he's very likely to lose against him. For sure is better than some years ago when he wasn't able to finish inside the time cut at the Giro after being dropped right at the start of Arezzo stage but there is only one performance from him that can be considered more a durable sprinter's one: http://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=425&y=2018

I think the Worlds this year are easier than some people think.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

03 Jan 2019 22:46

Is n't this the Enric Mas thread? ;)
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“steel slats” does not a wall make.
User avatar Robert5091

04 Jan 2019 00:30

Going back to the original topic of this thread, I just read on the front page that Jungels is going for GC (another top 10 at best but still) in the Giro. That basically tells us that Mas will be the sole leader for the Tour regarding their plans for gc. I hope he still does the Tour as a helper for Enric though!
User avatar Akuryo

09 Jan 2019 18:40

Tour confirmed.
User avatar Akuryo

09 Jan 2019 22:11

If i was QS, i trying first to win Giro or Vuelto, before tour.
Bakkie

Re:

09 Jan 2019 22:15

Bakkie wrote:If i was QS, i trying first to win Giro or Vuelto, before tour.

Redundant because he probably has a bigger chamce in the Tour than the Giro considering fields and routes
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

09 Jan 2019 22:19

Red Rick wrote:

Redundant because he probably has a bigger chamce in the Tour than the Giro considering fields and routes

Agreed. With the GC fields in the Giro and Tour this year, he has a better shot at the Tour.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

09 Jan 2019 22:59

I see what you did there
Breh

Previous

Return to Professional road racing