Register

Adrien Costa is the next Greg Lemond

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Adrien Costa is the next Greg Lemond

07 Jan 2018 01:40

"Inquire at Koos Moerenhout tells us that the American will make his comeback in 2018. When that is going to be, they discuss in February during the first training camp in California."

http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/316206/tien-neoprofs-om-op-te-letten-in-2018.html

Translate
User avatar fauniera

07 Jan 2018 09:31

Sounds like a silent ban.
exub
Newly Registered Member

05 Feb 2018 23:29

“I’m just not ready to come back yet,” said Costa. “The more I thought about it, the more I realized I didn’t want to hold a spot on the team when that meant denying someone else of the opportunity.

“Since I stopped racing in April 2017, I've learned a lot about myself and realized how big, and unbalanced, of a part of me was cycling.

“I knew that if I was going to race again, it'd be in a much different, more relaxed way. I wasn't able anymore to have the single-minded, razor-sharp focus for training and racing that I once woke up with daily. I knew I had to lean on other things in life to provide me more balance and more happiness overall.

“After some time back in the US, I've been travelling and working in France, allowing myself to explore my other interests while also getting back to the basic joy of riding a bike for pleasure.

“When it came to thinking about racing, however, I could tell my heart was not 100% in it. And cycling is such a hard sport that there's no faking it when that's the case. So as our Axeon team camp draws near, I realized that the team deserved more than a half-assed version of me. I decided that I didn't want to take a much more deserving, much more motivated individual's place in the team, and that I didn't want to be paid to race mediocrely in just a few events in 2018.

Won't be too long before we read a retirement statement me thinks. This kid has completely checked out.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

06 Feb 2018 02:04

DNP-Old wrote:
“I’m just not ready to come back yet,” said Costa. “The more I thought about it, the more I realized I didn’t want to hold a spot on the team when that meant denying someone else of the opportunity.

“Since I stopped racing in April 2017, I've learned a lot about myself and realized how big, and unbalanced, of a part of me was cycling.

“I knew that if I was going to race again, it'd be in a much different, more relaxed way. I wasn't able anymore to have the single-minded, razor-sharp focus for training and racing that I once woke up with daily. I knew I had to lean on other things in life to provide me more balance and more happiness overall.

“After some time back in the US, I've been travelling and working in France, allowing myself to explore my other interests while also getting back to the basic joy of riding a bike for pleasure.

“When it came to thinking about racing, however, I could tell my heart was not 100% in it. And cycling is such a hard sport that there's no faking it when that's the case. So as our Axeon team camp draws near, I realized that the team deserved more than a half-assed version of me. I decided that I didn't want to take a much more deserving, much more motivated individual's place in the team, and that I didn't want to be paid to race mediocrely in just a few events in 2018.

Won't be too long before we read a retirement statement me thinks. This kid has completely checked out.

If we do it’s perfectly reasonable choice. The life of a professional endurance athlete really wouldn’t suit most people, even people who have the talent to be very good at it.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re: Re:

06 Feb 2018 03:35

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:

If we do it’s perfectly reasonable choice. The life of a professional endurance athlete really wouldn’t suit most people, even people who have the talent to be very good at it.

Agreed. I don't think he'll race again, and if he doesn't it will be at the amateur level only.

Not everyone, even those with immense talent can deal with the life style it takes to be a pro athlete. I'd read that someone who had enough talent to be a pro cyclist said he could never have dealt with the lifestyle it takes to be a pro cyclist. He couldn't deal with the amount of time away from home. It makes sense. Some personalities just wouldn't fit. It takes a lot.
User avatar Koronin

06 Feb 2018 16:56

indeed talent alone is not enough, best of luck to him whatever he decides, and hopefully he does keep cycling in some form
This weeks blog covers Israel Cycling, women's cycling welfare, and I try not get started on World Tour field size. http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/letstalkcycling-muses/ :D
User avatar manafana

06 Feb 2018 17:09

So the thread should be renamed 'Adrien Costa is the next Oskar Svendsen'?
User avatar Squire

Re:

06 Feb 2018 17:51

Squire wrote:So the thread should be renamed 'Adrien Costa is the next Oskar Svendsen'?

Ignazio Moser, Campbell Flakemore...etc. etc.
User avatar GuyIncognito

08 Aug 2018 19:21

He's certainly never coming back now. He's lost a leg in a horrific climbing accident. Poor bloke.

https://www.gofundme.com/supportadriencosta
Parker

08 Aug 2018 19:24

Stunned by that. Wow.

He was just amazing in 2016. Interviewed him at the TOB when he was a stagiaire for QuickStep – he crashed out hard on one of the early stages but seemed like a great guy. Shame that he never realised his talent and now never will be able to, at least in pro cycling.
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

08 Aug 2018 19:27

This is shocking. I'm glad he survived that accident.
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

08 Aug 2018 19:31

Crap. Man sometimes life really has a weird way of turning
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

08 Aug 2018 19:36

Damn, that is shocking. Wishing for the best in his rehabilitation.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

08 Aug 2018 19:48

Always sad to hear these kind of news. Best wishes for his rehab!
User avatar Akuryo

08 Aug 2018 23:32

Such sad news. Wishing him the best.
User avatar Koronin

09 Aug 2018 00:06

That’s awful. Best wishes for his recovery and rehabilitation.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

09 Aug 2018 01:35

In the end, it may be a good thing he had already said goodbye to pro cycling (or at least it seemed like it). I hope it makes it easier for him to cope with this tradedy.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

Re:

09 Aug 2018 12:06

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:In the end, it may be a good thing he had already said goodbye to pro cycling (or at least it seemed like it). I hope it makes it easier for him to cope with this tradedy.

I dont really understand why you would say this...
Salvarani

09 Aug 2018 12:25

How dreadful, what a tragedy :( Best wishes for his rehabilitation.
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

Re: Re:

09 Aug 2018 13:37

Salvarani wrote:
Logic-is-your-friend wrote:In the end, it may be a good thing he had already said goodbye to pro cycling (or at least it seemed like it). I hope it makes it easier for him to cope with this tradedy.

I dont really understand why you would say this...

You don't? Let me put it this way, do you think it's easier to lose a leg for a person, who's passion and profession it is to use his legs, or for a person who has many different interests in life? From what it appears to me, is that he was more of the latter than the former. Which is why i hope it makes it easier for him.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing