Register

Adrien Costa is the next Greg Lemond

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: Adrien Costa is the next Greg Lemond

07 Jan 2018 01:40

"Inquire at Koos Moerenhout tells us that the American will make his comeback in 2018. When that is going to be, they discuss in February during the first training camp in California."

http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/316206/tien-neoprofs-om-op-te-letten-in-2018.html

Translate
User avatar fauniera

07 Jan 2018 09:31

Sounds like a silent ban.
exub
Newly Registered Member

05 Feb 2018 23:29

“I’m just not ready to come back yet,” said Costa. “The more I thought about it, the more I realized I didn’t want to hold a spot on the team when that meant denying someone else of the opportunity.

“Since I stopped racing in April 2017, I've learned a lot about myself and realized how big, and unbalanced, of a part of me was cycling.

“I knew that if I was going to race again, it'd be in a much different, more relaxed way. I wasn't able anymore to have the single-minded, razor-sharp focus for training and racing that I once woke up with daily. I knew I had to lean on other things in life to provide me more balance and more happiness overall.

“After some time back in the US, I've been travelling and working in France, allowing myself to explore my other interests while also getting back to the basic joy of riding a bike for pleasure.

“When it came to thinking about racing, however, I could tell my heart was not 100% in it. And cycling is such a hard sport that there's no faking it when that's the case. So as our Axeon team camp draws near, I realized that the team deserved more than a half-assed version of me. I decided that I didn't want to take a much more deserving, much more motivated individual's place in the team, and that I didn't want to be paid to race mediocrely in just a few events in 2018.

Won't be too long before we read a retirement statement me thinks. This kid has completely checked out.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

06 Feb 2018 02:04

DNP-Old wrote:
“I’m just not ready to come back yet,” said Costa. “The more I thought about it, the more I realized I didn’t want to hold a spot on the team when that meant denying someone else of the opportunity.

“Since I stopped racing in April 2017, I've learned a lot about myself and realized how big, and unbalanced, of a part of me was cycling.

“I knew that if I was going to race again, it'd be in a much different, more relaxed way. I wasn't able anymore to have the single-minded, razor-sharp focus for training and racing that I once woke up with daily. I knew I had to lean on other things in life to provide me more balance and more happiness overall.

“After some time back in the US, I've been travelling and working in France, allowing myself to explore my other interests while also getting back to the basic joy of riding a bike for pleasure.

“When it came to thinking about racing, however, I could tell my heart was not 100% in it. And cycling is such a hard sport that there's no faking it when that's the case. So as our Axeon team camp draws near, I realized that the team deserved more than a half-assed version of me. I decided that I didn't want to take a much more deserving, much more motivated individual's place in the team, and that I didn't want to be paid to race mediocrely in just a few events in 2018.

Won't be too long before we read a retirement statement me thinks. This kid has completely checked out.

If we do it’s perfectly reasonable choice. The life of a professional endurance athlete really wouldn’t suit most people, even people who have the talent to be very good at it.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re: Re:

06 Feb 2018 03:35

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:

If we do it’s perfectly reasonable choice. The life of a professional endurance athlete really wouldn’t suit most people, even people who have the talent to be very good at it.

Agreed. I don't think he'll race again, and if he doesn't it will be at the amateur level only.

Not everyone, even those with immense talent can deal with the life style it takes to be a pro athlete. I'd read that someone who had enough talent to be a pro cyclist said he could never have dealt with the lifestyle it takes to be a pro cyclist. He couldn't deal with the amount of time away from home. It makes sense. Some personalities just wouldn't fit. It takes a lot.
User avatar Koronin

06 Feb 2018 16:56

indeed talent alone is not enough, best of luck to him whatever he decides, and hopefully he does keep cycling in some form
This weeks blog covers Israel Cycling, women's cycling welfare, and I try not get started on World Tour field size. http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/letstalkcycling-muses/ :D
User avatar manafana

06 Feb 2018 17:09

So the thread should be renamed 'Adrien Costa is the next Oskar Svendsen'?
User avatar Squire

Re:

06 Feb 2018 17:51

Squire wrote:So the thread should be renamed 'Adrien Costa is the next Oskar Svendsen'?

Ignazio Moser, Campbell Flakemore...etc. etc.
User avatar GuyIncognito

Previous

Return to Professional road racing