Register

Adrien Costa is the next Greg Lemond

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Adrien Costa is the next Greg Lemond

24 Aug 2016 12:55

This guy is doing amazing. Here I am looking at Bernal as the next up and coming but Adrien Costa is already here!. Wow, the guy can TT, the guy can climb, the guy can descend, he can do cobbles, an american with french parents.
He JUST TURNED 19, already won Tour de Bretagne, did AMAZING in Utah, dropping Atapuma on a descend while staying with the climbers (Talansky, Atapuma, Acevedo) in the big climbs, taking the climbers and young riders jersey.
Finally a promising american GC (sorry TJ, Talansky, etc..). He may not be at Phinney's level at TT but then again he was already the US Junior camp in 2014 AND 2nd in the junior world TT in 2014 and 2015.

He is tall at 6' and he may still get taller. Exciting to see him up there in a few years.

Ettix-QuickStep is an amazing scouting team. They got Gaviria, they will have Costa as a stagiarie this year and they may get Bernal (Colombia didn't have the support necessary for Tour D'Avenir so conveniently Ettix-Quickstep let them borrow their car. Laying the seed).
User avatar gospina

24 Aug 2016 13:00

Gaviria's and Costa's talents were obvious to everyone, there's no big effort needed in "scouting" them. Bernal is another case, but here the credit's due for Gianni Savio for signing a guy I've never heard of before this season.
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

Re:

24 Aug 2016 13:06

Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:Gaviria's and Costa's talents were obvious to everyone, there's no big effort needed in "scouting" them. Bernal is another case, but here the credit's due for Gianni Savio for signing a guy I've never heard of before this season.

let me rephrase that, they are doing an amazing job at getting to up and coming riders before all other teams and getting them to come aboard even if it is stagiares. Most teams may know their talents, but they are closing the deal faster than the others. Bernal was known in the mountain bike world. He is relatively new to road. The only concern I have for Bernal with his late entry into the road is the history with some colombians doing that, specifically Mauricio Soler paying the price for going to road cycling without the proper skills. Bernal (and Adrien Costa in this thread) both have committed to staying in pro-continental level for a bit. Then again, Hugh Carthy had said the same and now he is going to Cannondale-Drapac, although you can argue that Cannondale is a pro-contintental level team
User avatar gospina

24 Aug 2016 13:10

Let's wait more time before we enshrine him into the hall of fame!

But it is looking good.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

24 Aug 2016 17:33

I sure hope he stays in cycling, and don't become an eurosport expert.

(Very) Promising sure, but many have been that without really hitting it.
Thepirateisgood

24 Aug 2016 18:21

It´s too soon to make a ideia. But in fact i´ve watch him in the last weeks and he looks superb to 19 years. But until he gets the world tour it´s too soon.
User avatar filipepc

24 Aug 2016 18:27

Have to say he looks absolutely incredible for a 22 year old, never mind 19
User avatar PremierAndrew

24 Aug 2016 23:31

Adrien Costa is America's Azor Ahai
User avatar Ruudz0r

24 Aug 2016 23:34

I believe he'll make it big time solely by his virtue of not being Dutch.

Now seriously I'm getting excited by all the prospects we see this year from 19 and 20 year olds.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Adrien Costa is the next Greg Lemond

25 Aug 2016 07:32

gospina wrote:This guy is doing amazing. Here I am looking at Bernal as the next up and coming but Adrien Costa is already here!. Wow, the guy can TT, the guy can climb, the guy can descend, he can do cobbles, an american with french parents.
He JUST TURNED 19, already won Tour de Bretagne, did AMAZING in Utah, dropping Atapuma on a descend while staying with the climbers (Talansky, Atapuma, Acevedo) in the big climbs, taking the climbers and young riders jersey.
Finally a promising american GC (sorry TJ, Talansky, etc..). He may not be at Phinney's level at TT but then again he was already the US Junior camp in 2014 AND 2nd in the junior world TT in 2014 and 2015.

He is tall at 6' and he may still get taller. Exciting to see him up there in a few years.

Ettix-QuickStep is an amazing scouting team. They got Gaviria, they will have Costa as a stagiarie this year and they may get Bernal (Colombia didn't have the support necessary for Tour D'Avenir so conveniently Ettix-Quickstep let them borrow their car. Laying the seed).

this happens with colombian team all the time. acqua and sapone used to do this without getting any riders
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Veteran

Re: Re:

25 Aug 2016 08:31

gospina wrote:
Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:Gaviria's and Costa's talents were obvious to everyone, there's no big effort needed in "scouting" them. Bernal is another case, but here the credit's due for Gianni Savio for signing a guy I've never heard of before this season.

let me rephrase that, they are doing an amazing job at getting to up and coming riders before all other teams and getting them to come aboard even if it is stagiares. Most teams may know their talents, but they are closing the deal faster than the others. Bernal was known in the mountain bike world. He is relatively new to road. The only concern I have for Bernal with his late entry into the road is the history with some colombians doing that, specifically Mauricio Soler paying the price for going to road cycling without the proper skills. Bernal (and Adrien Costa in this thread) both have committed to staying in pro-continental level for a bit. Then again, Hugh Carthy had said the same and now he is going to Cannondale-Drapac, although you can argue that Cannondale is a pro-contintental level team

Carthy has already ridden two years at a PC level. Also Costa rides for a continental team.
greenedge
Veteran

25 Aug 2016 19:41

he is a stagiere at etixx because of specialized not because of their scouting lol
robin440

01 Sep 2016 16:00

Yes! looks like people approve of my comparison.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/8-cycling-stars-of-the-future/
User avatar gospina

01 Sep 2016 16:15

gospina wrote:This guy is doing amazing. Here I am looking at Bernal as the next up and coming but Adrien Costa is already here!. .

Don't know if you can compare them really. Bernal only did a handful of road races before this year.
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

02 Sep 2016 11:48

Why do up-and-coming riders have to be The Next [insert rider here]? Let them be themselves. I hardly think being compared to some big name of the past is gonna do wonders for their developments. Some shoes are pretty big to fill. :p
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

03 Sep 2016 16:59

Kid looks promising, but waaay too early to say anything. Not a first time we see promising young man. It's very thick at upstairs. Always.
memyselfandI

03 Sep 2016 17:16

inb4 he wins the Tour of Britain.
User avatar Geraint Too Fast

05 Sep 2016 16:19

121 COSTA Adrien Etixx - Quick Step 23:21

Almost last today, why is he riding this after giving it all in Utah en in the Tour de l'Avenir? Isn't this a bit to much for a 19y old?
User avatar Samamba

Re:

05 Sep 2016 16:29

Samamba wrote:121 COSTA Adrien Etixx - Quick Step 23:21

Almost last today, why is he riding this after giving it all in Utah en in the Tour de l'Avenir? Isn't this a bit to much for a 19y old?

He crashed today, thats why he has lost so much time.
User avatar Wallenquist

Re: Re:

05 Sep 2016 16:38

Wallenquist wrote:
Samamba wrote:121 COSTA Adrien Etixx - Quick Step 23:21

He crashed today, thats why he has lost so much time.

Ok, that explains a lot, but still... Thats 24 (really hard) racedays in just over a month...
User avatar Samamba

Next

Return to Professional road racing