Register

The Women's Road Racing Thread 2017

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

19 Sep 2017 18:37

World class podium there, as you'd want from a World Championships, and Annemiek does manage that one truly big win that she had been arguably without - I had feared after the Rio near-miss in the most dramatic of circumstances that she was destined to the same fate as Emma Johansson. She's had a truly great season and this is a great way to cap it even before the Road Race. It was also overall a triumph for the World Tour regulars, hopefully signifying an end to the mayfly era. Although Annemiek wasn't quite so destructive today as she was in the Giro Rosa chrono... anyway, a great 1-2 for the Dutch, even if the early start benefited van der Breggen as against Garfoot who has rode a more selective calendar to target these Worlds. Lisa Brennauer was also offered the rain as an explanation for comparative underperformance, but she refused it on the basis that Garfoot raced in suboptimal conditions late in the day too, and was simply better on the day. Even if Kristin Armstrong may be retired (although will she try to do her return-from-retirement trick a third time for the Olympics? I don't think she will and expect she won't, but given her favourable position with her coach in the selection committee and how well it has worked on prior occasions, piggybacking the points scored by her team for the invites she needs to get up to race speed, and with the team having been renamed Twenty20, never say never) and Neben is also into her 40s, with the opportunities for time trialists in the US calendar compared to the rest of the world, they do keep churning out the talents. Stephens was good as expected, they've got some other big talents in the making, but today we should be talking about Chloe Dygert. Just 20 years old, she's already a historic talent on the boards, and now converting it to the road with some serious power. She's done very little road racing - just the Tour of California last year, primarily to help Armstrong place well through the TTT due to a really ridiculous route, and the Aussie mini-season in January this year, and then some standalone TTs - so the transferability of her skills against the clock to racing in a pack will be the biggest question mark about her, but she's laid to rest the ghosts of Doha, where the Twenty16 team was stripped down to the minimum number of riders when Chloe exploded spectacularly in a combination of exhaustion, dehydration and vomit in the final kilometre. Another year on, and the TTT is of little relevance to her, when she can be more than competitive in the individual event.

Another result to point to is the continued development of Hannah Barnes, who is significantly more versatile than you would have said at the start of the season. She's got over a lot more obstacles than you'd have anticipated en route to her victories and top World Tour placements this season, and she then caps it with a top 10 in the Worlds TT, despite a course you wouldn't have thought favourable to her. Received wisdom has suggested that Alice is the more gifted of the Barnes girls, but Hannah is doing her utmost to prove that perception wrong... and if it remains right, if Hannah continues to perform like this, look out world because Alice is headed straight to the top. Although she'll have to go some to beat the best of her 1995 contemporaries, since Cille continued her year of greatness with a Worlds top 10 too...
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Re:

19 Sep 2017 19:34

Libertine Seguros wrote:World class podium there, as you'd want from a World Championships, and Annemiek does manage that one truly big win that she had been arguably without - I had feared after the Rio near-miss in the most dramatic of circumstances that she was destined to the same fate as Emma Johansson. She's had a truly great season and this is a great way to cap it even before the Road Race. It was also overall a triumph for the World Tour regulars, hopefully signifying an end to the mayfly era. Although Annemiek wasn't quite so destructive today as she was in the Giro Rosa chrono... anyway, a great 1-2 for the Dutch, even if the early start benefited van der Breggen as against Garfoot who has rode a more selective calendar to target these Worlds. Lisa Brennauer was also offered the rain as an explanation for comparative underperformance, but she refused it on the basis that Garfoot raced in suboptimal conditions late in the day too, and was simply better on the day. Even if Kristin Armstrong may be retired (although will she try to do her return-from-retirement trick a third time for the Olympics? I don't think she will and expect she won't, but given her favourable position with her coach in the selection committee and how well it has worked on prior occasions, piggybacking the points scored by her team for the invites she needs to get up to race speed, and with the team having been renamed Twenty20, never say never) and Neben is also into her 40s, with the opportunities for time trialists in the US calendar compared to the rest of the world, they do keep churning out the talents. Stephens was good as expected, they've got some other big talents in the making, but today we should be talking about Chloe Dygert. Just 20 years old, she's already a historic talent on the boards, and now converting it to the road with some serious power. She's done very little road racing - just the Tour of California last year, primarily to help Armstrong place well through the TTT due to a really ridiculous route, and the Aussie mini-season in January this year, and then some standalone TTs - so the transferability of her skills against the clock to racing in a pack will be the biggest question mark about her, but she's laid to rest the ghosts of Doha, where the Twenty16 team was stripped down to the minimum number of riders when Chloe exploded spectacularly in a combination of exhaustion, dehydration and vomit in the final kilometre. Another year on, and the TTT is of little relevance to her, when she can be more than competitive in the individual event.

Another result to point to is the continued development of Hannah Barnes, who is significantly more versatile than you would have said at the start of the season. She's got over a lot more obstacles than you'd have anticipated en route to her victories and top World Tour placements this season, and she then caps it with a top 10 in the Worlds TT, despite a course you wouldn't have thought favourable to her. Received wisdom has suggested that Alice is the more gifted of the Barnes girls, but Hannah is doing her utmost to prove that perception wrong... and if it remains right, if Hannah continues to perform like this, look out world because Alice is headed straight to the top. Although she'll have to go some to beat the best of her 1995 contemporaries, since Cille continued her year of greatness with a Worlds top 10 too...

A very succint and fair summation; nothing that I would care to disagree with.

yaco wrote: Definitely could have got a podium on that course - Sunweb in both the men's and women's set the template in team selection for the TTT - I wonder why Orica had no representation when most of their team was already in Norway.

Sorry but I respectfully still disagree. I think the decision was made months ago NOT to field a TTT and it was made with full consulation of the riders ....... and what would best serve both AVV & Garfoot. The only TTT for the Orica women this season was at the Giro where they finished 3rd but that really should not be any guide given the very different lineups.

I can justify using your peak talent in a Worlds TTT when there is a REALLY strong medal chance but there was no way you could state that was the case for Orica women. Even with AVV & Garfoot on-board, they would not be within the same post code as Sunweb or Boels Dolmans. At best they MAY have been scrapping for a bronze with Cervelo; the operative word being "may" ..... and then you need to weigh up the cost/benefit analysis of what AVV & Garfoot would expend "carrying" that TTT around and what it would cost them in the ITT.

I think they made the right decision and they now have a reigning World ITT Champion plus the bronze medallist. How the RR will play out is unknowable at this point but I think even at this point, they will take this ahead of a "perhaps" bronze in the TTT ..... and maybe a minor medal in the ITT. In fact, I'm almost certain they'll "take" AVV's words to the intl cycling press where she gave extensive praise to her team; in particular the work they have down with her on her TT (and how different it has been to previous teams) & how the team atmosphere has allowed her to grow as a rider.

Next season, the situation may be different and therefore a different "call" may be appropriate.
Last edited by dirkprovin on 20 Sep 2017 05:29, edited 1 time in total.
dirkprovin

19 Sep 2017 21:59

You can tell the women don't do many immediate post-race interviews, they almost always forget not to curse :lol:

Aside from the medallists, hugely impressive from Dygert
User avatar GuyIncognito

20 Sep 2017 18:39

Very happy for Annemiek :)
PS: Since I don't follow women's races that much, do you people think Lepistö may have a chance in the Road Race?
She has become much more versatile in the last 1-2 years but still, imo the women's races are done much more aggressively and thus she can be dropped by an elite group of 10-15 or so consisting the likes of Vos, Armitstead, PFP etc.
Forever The Best

Re:

20 Sep 2017 18:48

GuyIncognito wrote:You can tell the women don't do many immediate post-race interviews, they almost always forget not to curse :lol:

Cecilie Uttrup is pretty amazing in that regard. At an interview after one of the U23 races at the European Championships she managed to drop the f-bomb, I think, four or five times in a few minutes.

:lol:
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 18:54

RedheadDane wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:You can tell the women don't do many immediate post-race interviews, they almost always forget not to curse :lol:

Cecilie Uttrup is pretty amazing in that regard. At an interview after one of the U23 races at the European Championships she managed to drop the f-bomb, I think, four or five times in a few minutes.

Link please. I want to see the interviewer's reaction
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 19:12

GuyIncognito wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

Link please. I want to see the interviewer's reaction

I don't have a link, sorry. The interviewer didn't really react; just - ya know - continued the interview.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

20 Sep 2017 19:40

That's disappointing. Thanks.
User avatar GuyIncognito

20 Sep 2017 20:01

What was the interviewer supposed to do, anyway? Angrily disrupt the interview and walk away? A bit of swearing on live television never harmed anyone. :D
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

21 Sep 2017 12:12

so what's your take on women RR?

I don't follow women racing not that much, I know the names of course but not each capacities except for Vos winning it all and Rivera not being a bad sprinter
User avatar Lexman

21 Sep 2017 15:29

So my information from a few months ago that Orica had extra money to sign a sprinter type has come to fruition - Welcome Jolien D'Hoore
yaco

21 Sep 2017 16:39

Orica is going to be strong, having attacking and sprinting strength.
janraaskalt

Re:

21 Sep 2017 18:04

janraaskalt wrote:Orica is going to be strong, having attacking and sprinting strength.

Orica had two gaps in their squad - A high level sprinter which is now ticked - Ideally need to find an Aussie who is more of a pure climber - This is a long term strategy.
yaco

22 Sep 2017 18:50

Any thoughts on who is favoured tomorrow, beyond the obvious, LS?
Andy262

Re:

22 Sep 2017 18:57

Andy262 wrote:Any thoughts on who is favoured tomorrow, beyond the obvious, LS?

I suspect it will be Rivera.
yaco

22 Sep 2017 19:05

For women on this course, could be anybody other than the two very extremes of one dimensional climbers or sprinters
User avatar GuyIncognito

23 Sep 2017 06:59

Rivera ftw.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re: The Women's Road Racing Thread 2017

23 Sep 2017 09:44

People saying the Dutch have this sewn up but I think the course may not be hard enough itself to be as simple as AvdB and Annemiek getting in~5 person breaks and doing the 1-2 in the way that Boels did with AvdB and Lizzie.

The Dutch are going to have to absolutely hammer the race to get the break down to a manageable size. If it comes down to a group of ~15 it's anyone's chance. In that situation the Dutch will be hoping that Vos and Blaak have made it and haven't burnt too many matches pushing the pace.

A lot of the commentary of the men's race has people thinking it will be a reduced bunch sprint so it may be that the course isn't as hard as expected. Hard to know thoigh since in the U23 mens gold and silver only beat the reduced peloton by 3 seconds while in junior womens the winner was solo for 30km
KarinL
Newly Registered Member

Re:

23 Sep 2017 10:38

Forever The Best wrote:Very happy for Annemiek :)
PS: Since I don't follow women's races that much, do you people think Lepistö may have a chance in the Road Race?
She has become much more versatile in the last 1-2 years but still, imo the women's races are done much more aggressively and thus she can be dropped by an elite group of 10-15 or so consisting the likes of Vos, Armitstead, PFP etc.

Not an expert here, but I would put my money on the elites being able to drop Lepistö If the finale is raced hard.
User avatar meat puppet

23 Sep 2017 11:18

I'll throw in the surprise Vos win.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing