Register

The Women's Road Racing Thread 2017

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Re:

20 Mar 2017 07:53

Ricco' wrote:Just saw the finale of the race and that was some powerful sprint from Rivera, all out from far! I don't know why Sierra celebrated in the end, the difference to Rivera was enough to make sure that the north-american had won, even from the perspective of two riders battling for the win. Maybe she was just happy for a 2nd place on a WWT race.

You know how Astana riders are in italian classics

Seriously though, she was just over the moon at 2nd. It's understandable, she spent a while winning in american races which a few have done over the years without getting chances in europe. She gets one and breaks through almost immediately. Anyone would be over the moon
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

20 Mar 2017 08:16

Libertine Seguros wrote:To tell the truth as last year wore on, I was starting to think that Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig was overtaking Dideriksen in the "young Danish prospect" stakes, having had an excellent second half of the season and come to real prominence in hilly races. Although Amalie has clearly wrestled that crown back by virtue of, oh, I don't know, winning some colorful jersey or another, Cecilie's still got plenty of chops, and Vilmann was signed along with her because Cervélo loved the way the two worked with tactical and personal chemistry...

Just fair that Cecilie got the WWT Best Young Rider back from Amalie. After all; Amalie's got a pretty nice jersey already, no need to be greedy.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

20 Mar 2017 17:41

Orica Scott animate these races but struggle to win without a class sprinter - The cycle continues.
yaco

Re:

21 Mar 2017 13:22

yaco wrote:Orica Scott animate these races but struggle to win without a class sprinter - The cycle continues.

Well maybe... people said Boels didn't have a sprinter last year and it worked for them well enough. If you've got the strength to dominate the front end of a race, maybe you don't need a sprinter so much?

I don't see them signing a big name, and I'm not sure Chloe Hosking would ever sign for them. I seem to recall she has not always been a massive fan of the AIS system that rejected her early doors. I may be wrong but isn't there a fairly close link with Orica?

With fine weather and light winds in Waregem tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how the likes of Boels, Sunweb and Orica race it. They don't have their quickest riders but strong teams with some sharp finishers so will presumably want to drop D'Hoore, Hosking, Lepisto et al.
User avatar Jonhard

Re: Re:

21 Mar 2017 16:58

Jonhard wrote:
yaco wrote:Orica Scott animate these races but struggle to win without a class sprinter - The cycle continues.

Well maybe... people said Boels didn't have a sprinter last year and it worked for them well enough. If you've got the strength to dominate the front end of a race, maybe you don't need a sprinter so much?

I don't see them signing a big name, and I'm not sure Chloe Hosking would ever sign for them. I seem to recall she has not always been a massive fan of the AIS system that rejected her early doors. I may be wrong but isn't there a fairly close link with Orica?

With fine weather and light winds in Waregem tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how the likes of Boels, Sunweb and Orica race it. They don't have their quickest riders but strong teams with some sharp finishers so will presumably want to drop D'Hoore, Hosking, Lepisto et al.

My post comes from the context that Orica allegedly have a bigger budget for the women's team next year, and they have 2 gaps on their roster, which are a pure sprinter and pure climber - Hence, why I suggested Didrieksen - Orica has always had one quality overseas rider on their roster, and at times a second developing/worker type rider - Yes, Orica's recruitment is strongly influenced by the AIS - Yes,Hosking has issues with the AIS, and its unlikely she will ever join Orica - Reckon between LS and myself we could write an essay about the failings of the AIS, especially its role in influencing recruitment of riders for Orica and Olympic selection.
yaco

21 Mar 2017 19:52

yaco wrote:
Jonhard wrote:

My post comes from the context that Orica allegedly have a bigger budget for the women's team next year, and they have 2 gaps on their roster, which are a pure sprinter and pure climber - Hence, why I suggested Didrieksen - Orica has always had one quality overseas rider on their roster, and at times a second developing/worker type rider - Yes, Orica's recruitment is strongly influenced by the AIS - Yes,Hosking has issues with the AIS, and its unlikely she will ever join Orica - Reckon between LS and myself we could write an essay about the failings of the AIS, especially its role in influencing recruitment of riders for Orica and Olympic selection.

British Cycling are making everyone else look a bit better at the moment :) but have often made some baffling calls too imo.

Annette Edmondson is pretty fast, not far off Chloe I reckon.
User avatar Jonhard

22 Mar 2017 16:11

Jonhard wrote:
yaco wrote:
Jonhard wrote:

British Cycling are making everyone else look a bit better at the moment :) but have often made some baffling calls too imo.

Annette Edmondson is pretty fast, not far off Chloe I reckon.

I was nearly made to eat my words with Elvin the closest of seconds to Lepisto - Though it was a reduced sprint.
yaco

22 Mar 2017 22:05

Short video here.

Interesting in this kind of race to see the composition of the break, Janneke Ensing is having a very strong start to the season since her move to Alé, and a trio of Ellen van Dijk, Annemiek van Vleuten and Kasia Niewiadoma alongside makes a very imposing quartet to have allowed up the road. The race is a bit too flat for Kasia to get away from TT engines as strong as those, though, especially as the others all had somebody in the chase and she didn't. Plus of course Canyon had no fewer than 4, although it was pretty bizarre that once the quartet was caught and made into the group of 15-20 that eventually contested the win that the one to try their luck solo was Hannah Barnes, probably the strongest finisher of the four. Luckily their blushes were saved thanks to Brennauer's putting them on the podium regardless, but still. Lepistö did have a helper in the group, although Lisa Klein is the least experienced of the riders to make it, the 20yo German doing a very good job however. Also quite a statement from Lotta to still be there in such a reduced bunch when most of her sprinting adversaries - d'Hoore, Hosking, even more durable ones like Bastianelli - were over 2 minutes back. Wiggle had all their eggs in the Jolien basket, at least Alé had a couple of riders up front. And this makes 4 top 5s in 5 racing days for Lucinda Brand, so she's starting very well - though if Coryn continues on her move towards being more durable for hilly races they may find themselves also in the hunt for a pure sprinter, even if Brand, Rivera and Mackaij all have a pretty good turn of pace.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Previous

Return to Professional road racing