Register

The Amazing Race to Most Top10 Without a Win - 2017 Edition

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: The Amazing Race to Most Top10 Without a Win - 2017 Edit

22 Jul 2017 21:20

Seriously, there's no way that he doesn't get at least one.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

Re:

22 Jul 2017 21:31

SafeBet wrote:I think Kelderman had 26 in 2014 as well. I had estimated somebody going over 30 a couple of years before we started this game but I can't remember who.

Benoot currently has 52 top10 without a win since turning pro in 2015.

I count 35 for Rojas in 2010 on CQ ranking. I think he was the archetype for this sort of competition.
shalgo

22 Jul 2017 21:46

Tonton wrote:Seriously, there's no way that he doesn't get at least one.

At least 1 what?
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

22 Jul 2017 21:48

LaFlorecita wrote:
Tonton wrote:Seriously, there's no way that he doesn't get at least one.

At least 1 what?

Combativity award.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

22 Jul 2017 23:30

Benoot is up for a lifetime achievement award at this point.
User avatar classicomano

23 Jul 2017 19:07

Froome OUT!
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

29 Jul 2017 08:49

out since last update
Chris Froome
Nicolas Marini

current standings

24 - A. Contador
20 - I. Izagirre
16 - D. Caruso, C. Vermeltfoort, T. Benoot
14 - J Stuyven, B. Van Lerberghe
13 - N. Haas, E. Buchmann, A. Jensen, S. Kruijswijk
12 - B. Bookwalter, R. Jans, K. Sbaragli, R. Hardy, M. Trentin, B. Planckaert
11 - C. Laporte
10 - A. Giacoppo, R. Carapaz, T. Van der Sande, R. Torres, R. Selig, N. Bonifazio, D. Mucelli, B. Swift, M. Soler, M. Vantomme, D. Touze, R. Kreder
9 - A. Kirsch, A. Blythe, R. Stacchiotti, R. Barbier, R. Ferrari, A. Vendrame, J.J. Lobato, M. Woods, P. Ligthart, R. Korosec, L.L. Sánchez, L. Meintjes, F. Senechal
8 - S. Gerrans, X. Meurisse, G. Visconti, N. Earle, M. Belletti, E. Theuns, D. Strakhov, J.McCarthy, R. Minali, E. Prades, P. Bevin, A. Vasylyuk, F. Gavazzi, H. Hofstetter, N. van der Lijke, R. Vilela, A. Pasqualon, F. Großschartner, M. Benfatto, T. Geoghegan Hart, R. Hucker, D. Formolo, A. Looij, L. Kämna
User avatar valentius borealis

29 Jul 2017 23:33

Benoot won't be denied :cool: .
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

30 Jul 2017 03:20

Some great candidates in there. Benoot and Van Lerberghe without a pro win, Caruso without an individual victory since 2013.

Kinda surprising to see Contador and Izagirre (both 5 wins in 2016) that high,but actually it's not easy to see them disappear from this list now considering Ions injury and Contadors lack of possibilities the rest of the season. If he rides La Vuelta he's gonna increase his lead for sure.

A guy like Bookwalter might be off the list in a weeks time, but I can see Haas make a leap before the season ends.
User avatar Kazistuta

30 Jul 2017 04:08

Tonton wrote:Benoot won't be denied :cool: .

I can see Benoot "the eternal second", a beloved underdog, his wistful and sometimes pained smile familiar to cycling fans everywhere, turning up to the Tour of Flanders some years in the future. Over 200 podium places in his career, including of all four Grand Tours and all seven Monuments. He got to the start line, as usual thinking "maybe today". He took his retirement lap of honour by drifting off the front as soon as the flag dropped. Although it was dangerous for the peloton to let such a famous and storied rider go (remember the time Chris Froome was starting to fade in his bid for a tenth Tour so Sir Nicolas Portal ordered Benoot to wait for him, despite Benoot having a 10 minute lead with only 150m of Mont Ventoux to go?), they knew he was the wrong side of 35 and besides, it was Benoot, he'll never win! Little did they know they wouldn't see him again all day. As he crossed the finishing line in Duinkerken (the Greater Netherlands having invaded in 2025), he got off his bike, raised it aloft, and savoured the moment and soaked in the cheers from the adoring fans, many of whom weren't even alive when he was picking up his first top 10s. He decided, like Cincinnatus returning to his farm, that the first half of his life's work was complete, so he announced to the expectant media that he was retiring immediately. That evening as he opened his emails to reply to the offer to become an economics professor at UGent, he realised he had just one last engagement with the world of cycling: to join the cyclingnews forum and write "Benoot OUT!" in The Amazing Race to Most Top10 Without a Win - 2030 Edition.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

30 Jul 2017 05:11

TMP402 wrote:
"Benoot OUT!" in The Amazing Race to Most Top10 Without a Win - 2030 Edition.

BENOUT
hammerthaim

30 Jul 2017 08:31

TMP402 wrote:

I can see Benoot "the eternal second", a beloved underdog, his wistful and sometimes pained smile familiar to cycling fans everywhere, turning up to the Tour of Flanders some years in the future. Over 200 podium places in his career, including of all four Grand Tours and all seven Monuments. He got to the start line, as usual thinking "maybe today". He took his retirement lap of honour by drifting off the front as soon as the flag dropped. Although it was dangerous for the peloton to let such a famous and storied rider go (remember the time Chris Froome was starting to fade in his bid for a tenth Tour so Sir Nicolas Portal ordered Benoot to wait for him, despite Benoot having a 10 minute lead with only 150m of Mont Ventoux to go?), they knew he was the wrong side of 35 and besides, it was Benoot, he'll never win! Little did they know they wouldn't see him again all day. As he crossed the finishing line in Duinkerken (the Greater Netherlands having invaded in 2025), he got off his bike, raised it aloft, and savoured the moment and soaked in the cheers from the adoring fans, many of whom weren't even alive when he was picking up his first top 10s. He decided, like Cincinnatus returning to his farm, that the first half of his life's work was complete, so he announced to the expectant media that he was retiring immediately. That evening as he opened his emails to reply to the offer to become an economics professor at UGent, he realised he had just one last engagement with the world of cycling: to join the cyclingnews forum and write "Benoot OUT!" in The Amazing Race to Most Top10 Without a Win - 2030 Edition.

I can't anymore
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

30 Jul 2017 21:33

Benoot even only made the podium at the Ninove criterium today!
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

31 Jul 2017 14:50

TMP402 wrote:I can see Benoot "the eternal second", a beloved underdog, his wistful and sometimes pained smile familiar to cycling fans everywhere, turning up to the Tour of Flanders some years in the future. Over 200 podium places in his career, including of all four Grand Tours and all seven Monuments. He got to the start line, as usual thinking "maybe today". He took his retirement lap of honour by drifting off the front as soon as the flag dropped. Although it was dangerous for the peloton to let such a famous and storied rider go (remember the time Chris Froome was starting to fade in his bid for a tenth Tour so Sir Nicolas Portal ordered Benoot to wait for him, despite Benoot having a 10 minute lead with only 150m of Mont Ventoux to go?), they knew he was the wrong side of 35 and besides, it was Benoot, he'll never win! Little did they know they wouldn't see him again all day. As he crossed the finishing line in Duinkerken (the Greater Netherlands having invaded in 2025), he got off his bike, raised it aloft, and savoured the moment and soaked in the cheers from the adoring fans, many of whom weren't even alive when he was picking up his first top 10s. He decided, like Cincinnatus returning to his farm, that the first half of his life's work was complete, so he announced to the expectant media that he was retiring immediately. That evening as he opened his emails to reply to the offer to become an economics professor at UGent, he realised he had just one last engagement with the world of cycling: to join the cyclingnews forum and write "Benoot OUT!" in The Amazing Race to Most Top10 Without a Win - 2030 Edition.

Amazing :)
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re:

02 Aug 2017 02:01

Kazistuta wrote:A guy like Bookwalter might be off the list in a weeks time, but I can see Haas make a leap before the season ends.

You were right--Bookwalter is out.
shalgo

02 Aug 2017 19:16

Trentin out.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

07 Aug 2017 17:57

I really don't hope the win in this competition will be the final victory of Contador's career.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

07 Aug 2017 18:30

tobydawq wrote:I really don't hope the win in this competition will be the final victory of Contador's career.

Well we can say he attacked many months and some 10.000km before the finish.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

09 Aug 2017 14:58

Lobato out
del1962
Veteran

12 Aug 2017 16:21

Jensen out.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran