Log in:  

Register

Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Future

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Futur

15 Mar 2017 21:33

The first Australians to come to the European scene were Iddo ‘Snowy’ Munro, Don Kirkham, Fred Keefe, Charles Snell and Charles Percey. They would race (and finish!) some the best classics in 1914: Milan-Sanremo, Paris-Roubaix, Paris-Tours(at that time it was what we would call a "monument" today) and the Tour of France. Kirkham did their best performance reaching the 9th place at Milan-Sanremo.

Sir Hubert Opperman is the first Australian to win a classic in Europe: the 1931 Paris-Brest-Paris and a track classic event the 1928 Bol d'Or (24h on the track).

In the 1970's beside Don Allan, you had Gary Clively, Clyde Sefton, Danny Clark and Graeme Gilmore (the two latter were trackies but occasional roadies too). Then came Phil Anderson and Michael Wilson and then Alan Peiper.
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,942
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

15 Mar 2017 22:07

I know this isn't actually cycling as such, but how was the transport options back in 1914? Simply getting to Europe from Australia could be quite a feat.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,104
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re:

16 Mar 2017 01:05

RedheadDane wrote:I "know this isn't actually cycling as such, but how was the transport options back in 1914? Simply getting to Europe from Australia could be quite a feat.


35-40 day trip via the Suez Canal on a boat was what it took to get to Europe from Australia in 1914 with stopovers in Eygpt, Yemen and Sri Lanka
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells
Member
 
Posts: 1,579
Joined: 10 Oct 2015 16:03
Location: Melbourne-ish

Re: Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Futur

16 Mar 2017 07:49

To give you an idea, Sir Hubert Opperman doing some home trainer on the ship to Europe in 1928:

Image
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,942
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

Re: Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Futur

16 Mar 2017 08:21

Echoes wrote:Sir Hubert Opperman is the first Australian to win a classic in Europe: the 1931 Paris-Brest-Paris and a track classic event the 1928 Bol d'Or (24h on the track).


Opperman has been quoted on a few occasions stating that 1931 Paris-Brest-Paris win was his greatest achievement in cycling and when looking at the boat travel and several other things he would of had to overcome I would tend to agree with him. He also managed to finish 12th in the 1931 Tour which also had another notable performance from an Australian, Richard "Fatty" Lamb was the first and so far only Australian to take home the famed lanterne rouge. This is an often overlooked part of Australian cycling history :)
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells
Member
 
Posts: 1,579
Joined: 10 Oct 2015 16:03
Location: Melbourne-ish

Re: Re:

16 Mar 2017 08:43

StryderHells wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:I "know this isn't actually cycling as such, but how was the transport options back in 1914? Simply getting to Europe from Australia could be quite a feat.


35-40 day trip via the Suez Canal on a boat was what it took to get to Europe from Australia in 1914 with stopovers in Eygpt, Yemen and Sri Lanka


So you'd have to mean it!
I don't really remember; did they have pro teams in the same - or at least similar - way back then as they do now?

Echoes wrote:To give you an idea, Sir Hubert Opperman doing some home trainer on the ship to Europe in 1928:
(picture shown above)


Might as well spend the time smartly. Besides; could you imagine a more beautiful place to be on your rollers? Beats being stuck inside.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,104
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re: Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Futur

16 Mar 2017 09:24

In the recently released movie "Le Ride" there is a retelling of the first team of antipodeans [3 Aussies and a Kiwi] who raced the TDF.

Really good watch actually, preview is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go1iV7bZbZs

Super long trip making it a serious effort - the riders needed sponsors to make the trip. Not like jumping on the train from Herning eh?
pedalsplus
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 12 Jun 2016 11:58
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Futur

16 Mar 2017 17:39

Besides the amazingly gifted U23 trio of Jai Hindley, Lucas Hamilton and Michael Storer, Australia also have some very, very good juniors coming through! I particularly like the looks of Sebastian Berwick and Mitch Wright.

S. Berwick impressed highly back in December at Dave Sanders, Bright camp and also took gold in both the TT and RR in Canberra last week! At age 16 he raced both Tour of Tasmania and Tour of Bright and did really, really well. He has a ton of potential!

M. Wright is a super talented all-rounder who can do almost anything on a bike! He has 25 national medals over a four-year span on a mix of road and track. He is coached by Mick Kejda who has trained several top athletes in the past including Caleb Ewan for example. Last year he dominated the U17 mountain nationals at Mt Buffalo, where he won both the TT and RR titles.
Jakob747
Junior Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: 10 Jun 2009 17:33
Location: Colombia

Re: Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Futur

16 Mar 2017 18:27

Jakob747 wrote:Besides the amazingly gifted U23 trio of Jai Hindley, Lucas Hamilton and Michael Storer, Australia also have some very, very good juniors coming through! I particularly like the looks of Sebastian Berwick and Mitch Wright.

S. Berwick impressed highly back in December at Dave Sanders, Bright camp and also took gold in both the TT and RR in Canberra last week! At age 16 he raced both Tour of Tasmania and Tour of Bright and did really, really well. He has a ton of potential!

M. Wright is a super talented all-rounder who can do almost anything on a bike! He has 25 national medals over a four-year span on a mix of road and track. He is coached by Mick Kejda who has trained several top athletes in the past including Caleb Ewan for example. Last year he dominated the U17 mountain nationals at Mt Buffalo, where he won both the TT and RR titles.


Both Berwick & Wright are all rounders?
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,521
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

Re: Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Futur

16 Mar 2017 18:37

the asian wrote:
Jakob747 wrote:Besides the amazingly gifted U23 trio of Jai Hindley, Lucas Hamilton and Michael Storer, Australia also have some very, very good juniors coming through! I particularly like the looks of Sebastian Berwick and Mitch Wright.

S. Berwick impressed highly back in December at Dave Sanders, Bright camp and also took gold in both the TT and RR in Canberra last week! At age 16 he raced both Tour of Tasmania and Tour of Bright and did really, really well. He has a ton of potential!

M. Wright is a super talented all-rounder who can do almost anything on a bike! He has 25 national medals over a four-year span on a mix of road and track. He is coached by Mick Kejda who has trained several top athletes in the past including Caleb Ewan for example. Last year he dominated the U17 mountain nationals at Mt Buffalo, where he won both the TT and RR titles.


Both Berwick & Wright are all rounders?


Yeah. Berwick is a really good climber, but can also TT well. Which he proved in Canberra.

Wright is really across the board. Great time trial for sure. Pursuit, madison's and points races on track to long, hard, hilly road races as well.
Jakob747
Junior Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: 10 Jun 2009 17:33
Location: Colombia

16 Mar 2017 20:17

Blog re trip Mitch Wright & Riley Hart did to Belgium: https://cyclingdad.me/2015/07/12/belgium-boys-part-1/
User avatar swuzzlebubble
Member
 
Posts: 536
Joined: 02 Nov 2009 00:30

18 Mar 2017 00:08

Previous Aussie winners
Matty Goss 2011
Gerro 2012

Runner Up:
Alby Davis 2007
Heino Haussler 2009

3rd places:
Stuey O'Grady 2004
Bling Matthews 2015

Robbie McEwen. Greatest Aussie sprinter.
Never podiumed at Sanremo
User avatar swuzzlebubble
Member
 
Posts: 536
Joined: 02 Nov 2009 00:30

Re: Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Futur

19 Mar 2017 09:08

Echoes wrote:The first Australians to come to the European scene were Iddo ‘Snowy’ Munro, Don Kirkham, Fred Keefe, Charles Snell and Charles Percey. They would race (and finish!) some the best classics in 1914: Milan-Sanremo, Paris-Roubaix, Paris-Tours(at that time it was what we would call a "monument" today) and the Tour of France. Kirkham did their best performance reaching the 9th place at Milan-Sanremo.

Sir Hubert Opperman is the first Australian to win a classic in Europe: the 1931 Paris-Brest-Paris and a track classic event the 1928 Bol d'Or (24h on the track).

In the 1970's beside Don Allan, you had Gary Clively, Clyde Sefton, Danny Clark and Graeme Gilmore (the two latter were trackies but occasional roadies too). Then came Phil Anderson and Michael Wilson and then Alan Peiper.

Along with the frequently overlooked Scott Sunderland, who is credited for turning CSC into a force in the classics with Cancellara and O'Grady
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,417
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Futur

19 Mar 2017 10:00

42x16ss wrote:
Echoes wrote:The first Australians to come to the European scene were Iddo ‘Snowy’ Munro, Don Kirkham, Fred Keefe, Charles Snell and Charles Percey. They would race (and finish!) some the best classics in 1914: Milan-Sanremo, Paris-Roubaix, Paris-Tours(at that time it was what we would call a "monument" today) and the Tour of France. Kirkham did their best performance reaching the 9th place at Milan-Sanremo.

Sir Hubert Opperman is the first Australian to win a classic in Europe: the 1931 Paris-Brest-Paris and a track classic event the 1928 Bol d'Or (24h on the track).

In the 1970's beside Don Allan, you had Gary Clively, Clyde Sefton, Danny Clark and Graeme Gilmore (the two latter were trackies but occasional roadies too). Then came Phil Anderson and Michael Wilson and then Alan Peiper.

Along with the frequently overlooked Scott Sunderland, who is credited for turning CSC into a force in the classics with Cancellara and O'Grady


You were right about Hepburn - Been given semi-protected status for Dwars de Vlaandaren - Will be interested to see how Ewan goes - Think it will be to0 hard for him but Orica think he can ride well on cobbles
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,056
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Futur

19 Mar 2017 11:53

yaco wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
Echoes wrote:The first Australians to come to the European scene were Iddo ‘Snowy’ Munro, Don Kirkham, Fred Keefe, Charles Snell and Charles Percey. They would race (and finish!) some the best classics in 1914: Milan-Sanremo, Paris-Roubaix, Paris-Tours(at that time it was what we would call a "monument" today) and the Tour of France. Kirkham did their best performance reaching the 9th place at Milan-Sanremo.

Sir Hubert Opperman is the first Australian to win a classic in Europe: the 1931 Paris-Brest-Paris and a track classic event the 1928 Bol d'Or (24h on the track).

In the 1970's beside Don Allan, you had Gary Clively, Clyde Sefton, Danny Clark and Graeme Gilmore (the two latter were trackies but occasional roadies too). Then came Phil Anderson and Michael Wilson and then Alan Peiper.

Along with the frequently overlooked Scott Sunderland, who is credited for turning CSC into a force in the classics with Cancellara and O'Grady


You were right about Hepburn - Been given semi-protected status for Dwars de Vlaandaren - Will be interested to see how Ewan goes - Think it will be to0 hard for him but Orica think he can ride well on cobbles

Good to hear Hepburn is at least somewhat protected at Dwars. Orica has been showing almost criminal neglect to his development.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,417
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

23 Mar 2017 02:30

Durbridge has been quite consistent this year
Hopefully for him a 'breakout' result is not far away
I expect P-R is his #1 near-term goal.
User avatar swuzzlebubble
Member
 
Posts: 536
Joined: 02 Nov 2009 00:30

23 Mar 2017 10:56

Where is Hausler this year?

Don't recall hearing about an injury or other problem, but hasn't raced.
Elegant Degenerate
Junior Member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: 04 Jun 2010 04:34

23 Mar 2017 11:14

Bahrain. The team, that is. Not the country.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,104
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re:

23 Mar 2017 11:42

Elegant Degenerate wrote:Where is Hausler this year?

Don't recall hearing about an injury or other problem, but hasn't raced.


I know he had a knee injury in January which is why he missed the Australian races so I'm guessing that's why we haven't seen him yet this season. According to PCS he's down to ride RVV and Roubaix but that might be wishful thinking.
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells
Member
 
Posts: 1,579
Joined: 10 Oct 2015 16:03
Location: Melbourne-ish

Re:

23 Mar 2017 11:44

swuzzlebubble wrote:Durbridge has been quite consistent this year
Hopefully for him a 'breakout' result is not far away
I expect P-R is his #1 near-term goal.


He has all the characteristics to be a good classics rider and he's the right age to start racing them seriously, if he keeps progressing he might end up being Australia's best cobbled classics rider.
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells
Member
 
Posts: 1,579
Joined: 10 Oct 2015 16:03
Location: Melbourne-ish

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bronstein, Laplaz, pink_jersey, RedheadDane, Samamba, Toonser, valentius borealis and 43 guests

Back to top