Register

Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Future

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

23 Mar 2017 18:53

Haussler is nearly the most gifted Aussie cyclist in the last 10 years but has never prepared himself as a professional - A wasted talent - Have to think Durbridge can top 10 in the RVV on his recent form.
yaco

24 Mar 2017 02:04

Interested to see how Hayman goes at Roubaix again this year. Incredible ride last year.
movingtarget
Veteran

24 Mar 2017 07:02

Well, problem for Hayman is it's a bit hard to be a surprise-winner twice in a row. Now everyone knows what he's capable of.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

24 Mar 2017 07:58

RedheadDane wrote:Well, problem for Hayman is it's a bit hard to be a surprise-winner twice in a row. Now everyone knows what he's capable of.

Like Van Summeren before him, the other contenders knew what Hayman is capable of - especially EBH and Stannard. Hayman has never been an outright favourite, but he'd been one of the very best 2nd options at Roubaix for a while, he just had bad luck at Orica until last year.

There was a reason Boonen marked him closely and Stannard flicked him in the Carrefour l'abre
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

24 Mar 2017 10:11

I doubt he'll be in the early break this year.
User avatar swuzzlebubble

24 Mar 2017 10:48

That's it everybody! The truth must out. There are no Australian riders. There have never been any Australian riders. There will never be any Australian riders. Why? You ask.
Because Australia doesn't exist!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-conspiracy-theory?utm_term=.gfyvXZNBW#.tmy7qQdlb

:p
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

24 Mar 2017 11:49

RedheadDane wrote:That's it everybody! The truth must out. There are no Australian riders. There have never been any Australian riders. There will never be any Australian riders. Why? You ask.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-conspiracy-theory?utm_term=.gfyvXZNBW#.tmy7qQdlb

This explains why I yet have to meet a woman called Sheila :lol:
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re:

24 Mar 2017 11:57

RedheadDane wrote:Well, problem for Hayman is it's a bit hard to be a surprise-winner twice in a row. Now everyone knows what he's capable of.

It was a surprise but his results at Roubaix have always been good and it's his favorite race so I still expect him to perform well.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Re:

24 Mar 2017 12:04

StryderHells wrote:
Elegant Degenerate wrote:Where is Hausler this year?

Don't recall hearing about an injury or other problem, but hasn't raced.

I know he had a knee injury in January which is why he missed the Australian races so I'm guessing that's why we haven't seen him yet this season. According to PCS he's down to ride RVV and Roubaix but that might be wishful thinking.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/haussler-to-miss-all-the-spring-classics-due-to-slow-recovery-from-knee-injury

Well, there we go
Elegant Degenerate

24 Mar 2017 12:06

GenericBoonenFan wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:That's it everybody! The truth must out. There are no Australian riders. There have never been any Australian riders. There will never be any Australian riders. Why? You ask.

This explains why I yet have to meet a woman called Sheila :lol:

Now I am starting to doubt my own existence and not a sheila in sight !
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Futur

24 Mar 2017 16:46

Anyone following Cadel at cape fear
Scarponi

25 Mar 2017 04:30

Scarponi wrote:Anyone following Cadel at cape fear

No, last I heard, George and he were in second place.
movingtarget
Veteran

26 Mar 2017 00:46

Caleb Ewan, of course, is a rare breed, lightning fast and intelligent sprinter, riders like that are not a dime a dozen, but Australia in general, have a fine history of producing talented sprinters! What about other young up and coming Australian fast men?

I think the Australian sprinter with the most momentum at the moment might be young Jason Lowndes!

J. Lowndes is a big muscular guy (1.94cm -83kg) - When it gets above 60kmph, that's where he excels. With his size and ability to hold position at those speeds and higher, he could potentially become a good boulevard sprinter. He is trained by former veteran pro Graeme Brown who must be a pretty good guy to have in your corner (when we talk about sprinting).

Lowndes started at age 16 with some xc mtb, however, 2015 was his first full road year, with that taken into consideration his 2016 campaign was highly promising, he among other sprinted against some of the best youth sprinters at Olympia's Tour and of course the U23 Worlds in Doha... Lets see how he handles the adaptation of living in Europe, not always an easy thing for a Australian at that age, but I defiantly say the potential is there for a good career!

Sprintres like Jesse Karisson and Brenton Jones also have great top-speed and are stunning athletes but seem to excel more on the Australian/Asian scene. --- Scott Sunderland is mega fast and going from strength to strength and making a really good transition to the road, maybe he has time a little bit against him, but he has pro-conti potential at least!

Is it all about Caleb? Or can some of these youngsters step-up?
Jakob747

26 Mar 2017 02:26

Jakob747 wrote:Caleb Ewan, of course, is a rare breed, lightning fast and intelligent sprinter, riders like that are not a dime a dozen, but Australia in general, have a fine history of producing talented sprinters! What about other young up and coming Australian fast men?

I think the Australian sprinter with the most momentum at the moment might be young Jason Lowndes!

J. Lowndes is a big muscular guy (1.94cm -83kg) - When it gets above 60kmph, that's where he excels. With his size and ability to hold position at those speeds and higher, he could potentially become a good boulevard sprinter. He is trained by former veteran pro Graeme Brown who must be a pretty good guy to have in your corner (when we talk about sprinting).

Lowndes started at age 16 with some xc mtb, however, 2015 was his first full road year, with that taken into consideration his 2016 campaign was highly promising, he among other sprinted against some of the best youth sprinters at Olympia's Tour and of course the U23 Worlds in Doha... Lets see how he handles the adaptation of living in Europe, not always an easy thing for a Australian at that age, but I defiantly say the potential is there for a good career!

Sprintres like Jesse Karisson and Brenton Jones also have great top-speed and are stunning athletes but seem to excel more on the Australian/Asian scene. --- Scott Sunderland is mega fast and going from strength to strength and making a really good transition to the road, maybe he has time a little bit against him, but he has pro-conti potential at least!

Is it all about Caleb? Or can some of these youngsters step-up?

It's all Ewan for now, but Lowndes and Jones have potential.

Onto the classics now - Durbridge is continuing a decent run of results. Hopefully he does well at De Panne and Roubaix.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

03 Apr 2017 21:16

Aussie clean sweep of the podium at Pais Vasco.
Is that a first for Aussies in Europe?

04 Apr 2017 19:08

Kirby will have the answer tomorrow.
yaco

19 Apr 2017 01:01

yaco wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
yaco wrote:Lucas hamilton continues his good form - 2nd in Belvedere and Palio del Recioto - Will be in the WT in 2017.

He clearly isn't.
Unless you mean he could become a stagiare.
Unless-unless you meant 2018?
Of course he could become a stagiare in 2017, and then sign a full contract in 2018.

Should be 2018 - He could ride as a stagiare in 2017.

Thought J Hindley might have been next in line for a gig?

Re:

19 Apr 2017 01:41

swuzzlebubble wrote:
yaco wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
yaco wrote:Lucas hamilton continues his good form - 2nd in Belvedere and Palio del Recioto - Will be in the WT in 2017.

He clearly isn't.
Unless you mean he could become a stagiare.
Unless-unless you meant 2018?
Of course he could become a stagiare in 2017, and then sign a full contract in 2018.

Should be 2018 - He could ride as a stagiare in 2017.

Thought J Hindley might have been next in line for a gig?

Me too. I'd be surprised if Hindley doesn't get a stagiaire ride this year, or a full ride next year. Hamilton is showing talent but another 12 months as an U23 wouldn't hurt.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

19 Apr 2017 02:27

yaco wrote:
greenedge wrote:Gerrans could have a good chance at MSR too, his sprint seems to have improved over the last few years. I'm wondering if Edmonson will ride the cobbled races too, if so Catalunya seems to be an odd race for him (even though there is a TTT and he has to gain mountainous endurance somewhere).

Gerrans will be the back up protected rider like in 2012 when he won MSR - Remember Goss was the protected rider in 2012 - Orica seems to think Edmondson will be a Ronde Vlaaanderen rider, though I've seen nothing to indicate this in his riding - Orica expect a podium from A.Yates at Catalunya - This will be supported by a strong TT squad in the 41km TTT.

edmonson won the espoir de Ronde, so he was 19 and won the 160km version of the u23s.

He also had a good RVV debut in the pros last week, rolling in with the third or fourth group, I think he sprinted for his placing in that group.

he has the legs to go 3'50"in the TP, so he has watts to burn
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

Re:

19 Apr 2017 02:29

yaco wrote:Kirby will have the answer tomorrow.

a 4'12" qualifying in the IP. smoking

wonder how fast the hongkers track was?
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing