Register

2017 Volta Ciclista a Catalunya, March 20-26, WT

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Re:

20 Mar 2017 21:53

Valv.Piti wrote:888SPORT
BMC @ 1,50
Sky @ 3,60
Movistar @ 6,00
Trek @ 21,00
Orica @ 23,00

Movistar @ 6,00 looks good, but BMC obviously the favourites. I don't see Sky being better than Movistar tomorrow.

I'm surprised they've got Trek over Orica.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

20 Mar 2017 22:00

I'd think twice about putting this TTT in a Grand Tour, never mind a week-long stage race with one summit finish.
inthedrops.net

blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

20 Mar 2017 22:10

Ricco' wrote:What's the tie-breaker for the team classification when multiple teams have the same time? Isn't it the sum of the positions of the best 3 riders? I did the math following this method and I found some slight differences with the official classification. For instance, Sunweb and Ag2r have the same sum but the order is inverted (3rd Ag2r rider arrived in 70th, 3rd Sunweb rider arrived in 88th) and Katusha - Alpecin should be after Trek (Trek have a sum of 172 and Katusha of 217). Also, Trek and Lotto are tied but 3rd Trek rider was 65th and 3rd Lotto rider was 107th.

If the time and sum are tied then the team with the highest placed rider on the stage is the next tiebreaker so Sunweb are ahead of AG2R as Bauhaus was 9th and Latour 21st, similarly Greipel was ahead of Gogl. On Katusha being ahead of Trek, no idea.
snccdcno

Re: 2017 Volta Ciclista a Catalunya, March 20-26, WT

20 Mar 2017 22:30

10.2 – Stage Team classification
The team classification for the day shall be calculated on the basis of the sum of the three best individual
times from each team. In the event of a tie, the teams shall be separated by the sum of the places acquired by their three best times on the stage. If the teams are still tied, they shall be separated by the placing of their best rider on the stage classification.

No idea why Trek are behind Katusha as well
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

20 Mar 2017 22:35

Also, is it just me, or does this race always seem super underwhelming despite the names turning up? Never really enjoyed it compared to P-N, T-A, Pais Vasco... doesn't feel like a big race for some reason.
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

20 Mar 2017 22:40

2015 was pretty fun.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

Re:

20 Mar 2017 22:57

Valv.Piti wrote:Also, is it just me, or does this race always seem super underwhelming despite the names turning up? Never really enjoyed it compared to P-N, T-A, Pais Vasco... doesn't feel like a big race for some reason.

I think some of it is the poor coverage. I'm no fan of ASO but they should help there.
User avatar jaylew

20 Mar 2017 22:58

roundabout wrote:2015 was pretty fun.

yeah, indeed, but mainly because of those guys getting a head start due to the communication problems. And because there were no real mountain top finishes. Generally I feel like Valv.Piti. Although it's better now than those editions a couple of years back with no bonus seconds, when gc guys were trying to sprint for the podium in the final stage because they were all s.t.

Trek is ahead of Katusha in the day ranking by the way, so it's probably just a mistake they they (for some reason) were swapped in the overall team ranking
Last edited by search on 20 Mar 2017 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar search

Re:

20 Mar 2017 23:00

Valv.Piti wrote:Also, is it just me, or does this race always seem super underwhelming despite the names turning up? Never really enjoyed it compared to P-N, T-A, Pais Vasco... doesn't feel like a big race for some reason.

I agree. I think it is a combination of poor coverage, no long-distance action, simultation cobbles races, multiple stage wins by second-to-third tier sprinters (that not many care greatly about) and questionable route design that does the trick.

Even though the difference between Quintana and Contador was just seven seconds going into the final couple of stages last year, it just never felt realistic that Contador could find the time he needed. Not just because Quintana was stronger (which I don't think he was) but the route did just not offer any opportunities.

2015 was good though (despite of Valverde's annoying crash but what a beast he was), and the route looks better for this year's edition but we really have to reassess after tomorrow.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

20 Mar 2017 23:32

Yeah I would agree with that. Some editions are better but most are pretty pedestrian. But I suppose with all of the races that have disappeared including some very old ones, we should not be too picky.
movingtarget
Veteran

21 Mar 2017 01:04

Soul Brazil in a 41km of TTT against wt teams... oh boy...
User avatar Jungle Cycle

Re: 2017 Volta Ciclista a Catalunya, March 20-26, WT

21 Mar 2017 01:16

Just catching up, and yeah Davide got a big win. FDJ this year is much stronger, splitting the team in units and beefing up the sprinters group: it's paying off. FDJ is now trying to weight on races versus going with the flow. It may backfire at times, like Pinot at TA/Terminillo, but that's the right attitude. Like in PN and FDJ riding up front, chasing, taking big responsibilities. I'm so happy for Davide. I hope Jacopo gets one too. Forza Italia!
"Finally, the last thing I'll say to the people who don't believe in cycling, the cynics and the skeptics: I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry that you can't dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles."
User avatar Tonton

21 Mar 2017 07:54

*A lot* of precipitation is expected later in the week(end).
User avatar Jagartrott

Re:

21 Mar 2017 08:31

I feel the same way, it's always underwhelming and I never care very much about this race.
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re: Re:

21 Mar 2017 08:57

LaFlorecita wrote:

I feel the same way, it's always underwhelming and I never care very much about this race.

At this point I'd much rather watch the classics Wednesday and Friday over the two MTFs on the same days despite my favourite rider is racing. Hmm...
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

21 Mar 2017 08:58

search wrote:
Trek is ahead of Katusha in the day ranking by the way, so it's probably just a mistake they they (for some reason) were swapped in the overall team ranking

Great, a mistake that will force them to start earlier today :rolleyes:
Do bonus seconds not count towards the team classification, by the way?

Edit: actually, I've looked at the road book and it says that in the event of a draw, they will look at the number of 1st places in the daily team classification, number of 2nd places in the daily team classification etc. and then at the best individual rider in GC. So that would explain why Katusha is ahead, they didn't add up the positions nor did they look at the position of the 3rd rider.
Alberto we love you
on the road
we saw you on the road
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

21 Mar 2017 09:26

Jagartrott wrote:*A lot* of precipitation is expected later in the week(end).

I thought so from the forecasts - could cause havoc with skinny climbers getting their racing legs.
Kirby, the reason the mute button was invented! :)
LRP - you'll believe a man can fly! “Americanese” - when you want to spread bs
User avatar Robert5091

21 Mar 2017 09:30

This race is always underwhelming because in the past we had (and we still have) riders like purito and valverde that were always looking for uphill sprints to gain 3/4 seconds (in almost every mountain/hilly stage)...
portugal11

Re:

21 Mar 2017 09:35

portugal11 wrote:This race is always underwhelming because in the past we had (and we still have) riders like purito and valverde that were always looking for uphill sprints to gain 3/4 seconds (in almost every mountain/hilly stage)...

That has nothing to do with why it is a disappointing race at all, lol. If anything Valverde animated the race in 2015 and won 3 stages.
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

21 Mar 2017 09:47

Valv.Piti wrote:
portugal11 wrote:This race is always underwhelming because in the past we had (and we still have) riders like purito and valverde that were always looking for uphill sprints to gain 3/4 seconds (in almost every mountain/hilly stage)...

That has nothing to do with why it is a disappointing race at all, lol. If anything Valverde animated the race in 2015 and won 3 stages.

Winning stages is not exactly animating the race, lol :p I don't remember much about the 2015 edition except that Richie won and Piti took bonus seconds on the last stage to get onto the podium.
I do agree with portugal11 that such a "negative" (YMMV) way of racing can have a big impact on how the race is perceived.
Alberto we love you
on the road
we saw you on the road
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing