Log in:  

Register

I don't get the Gerrans hate

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

I don't get the Gerrans hate

18 Mar 2017 17:00

I think it is fair to day that on this site Gerrans is the most hated rider for non clinic related issues. I don't get it.

First up, the way he rides is the most likely to give him victories. I find it very hard to look down on someone for doing the logical thing.

A far more important reason is, that having someone who is a virtual lock to win a reduced peloton sprint, should be the best thing that ever happened to cycling. This is because it should cause other riders to take action and attack. "Thou shalt not go to the finishing straight with Gerrans" should be the first commandment for any other rider who wants to win the race. If the others are content to let themselves be led like lambs to the slaughterhouse, they do not deserve to win. "But", one might argue, "the other riders don't want to risk a high place finish which would earn them UCI point and price money." Again I point to the "do not deserve to win" part of my statement.

In conclusion: I do not root for Gerrans to win, I root for his presence to force the other riders to make an interesting race.
Tarnum
New Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 25 Feb 2015 19:24

18 Mar 2017 17:02

Libertine posted an explanation somewhere, I'll try and find it.
kingjr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,264
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 18:53
Location: Germany

18 Mar 2017 17:03

Nailed it. The minority of 'fans' that hate Gerrans for winning the only way he can are idiots. On the other hand, I think the majority just don't like it when Gerrans wins, because it usually means it has been a dull, overly-controlled race, or that one of their favourites didn't win. As you said, if the other riders make the race hard enough or don't wait until a very late attack or sprint, Gerrans won't win. The onus is on them to make the race, not on the fastest finisher.
User avatar DFA123
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,212
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

18 Mar 2017 17:04

I don't like Gerro, not his racing style or his personality. Some of the dislike on my part also is irrational.

Very hip to dislike Gerro in here, definitely more than he deserves.
"This is the Tour that will determine whether I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,641
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

18 Mar 2017 17:05

Libertine Seguros wrote:[...]

Gerrans is considered boring because he only has one tactic: follow wheels until he can use his sprint. You say he got into a three rider breakaway at MSR but that's only half the story isn't it? He spotted the move was the right one to latch on to (which is good racing, no criticism here), but then he took approximately two seconds of wind and sucked wheel right to the finishing line. Since about 2011 we have never seen Simon Gerrans on the front for more than a nominal amount of time. And at the Ponferrada Worlds, when he was one of the favourites no less, he did absolutely no work to bring Kwiatkowski back, then whined in the press that he had the legs to fight for the victory and didn't get the chance to. Simon Gerrans thinks that "racing" is something other people do around him. That's fine, his tactical ploy has garnered him an excellent palmarès. But it's a palmarès that has relied on taking advantage of other people racing just as negatively as he does, and therefore he only contributes to races by virtue of being the threat of what will happen if nobody is willing to make the race. Which is why he is considered boring.
kingjr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,264
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 18:53
Location: Germany

18 Mar 2017 17:06

Can't really blame him for it since it works/worked. But like DFA123 said the races he wins are mostly dull and boring to watch. Not his fault for making the most out of his skillset but as a fan of the sport wouldn't we all like to see more entertaining races other than a big group getting to the line where Gerrans is the fastest?
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,158
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

18 Mar 2017 17:06

If Gerrans wins, the race is usually damn boring.

The LBL he won was one of the shittiest monuments ever.

That's why people dislike him.
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,330
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

Re:

18 Mar 2017 17:09

the asian wrote:If Gerrans wins, the race is usually damn boring.

The LBL he won was one of the shittiest monuments ever.

That's why people dislike him.

Surely that was everyone else's fault but Gerrans though? He played his cards and won - so is absolved from any responsibility for making the race interesting as far as I'm concerned. The teams and riders who chose to sat in and wait, and do nothing, only to get outsprinted are surely the ones to blame for the terrible race.

Gerrans is purely a symptom of a poor race, rather than a cause of it. So it's a bit unfair to dislike him for it.
User avatar DFA123
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,212
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

18 Mar 2017 17:11

The hate is totally irrational. Many riders employ exactly the same tactics as Gerrans and don't even win, but nobody complains about them.
User avatar Geraint Too Fast
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,053
Joined: 05 Jul 2011 21:51

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

18 Mar 2017 17:12

I don't hate him.His riding style might be boring but it's worked for him pretty good.If the others are happy to tow him to the finish line to give him a shot to the win then they are to blame.
User avatar DBotero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,142
Joined: 14 Mar 2015 14:22

18 Mar 2017 17:12

I don't get it either. Of course he doesn't attack much, he's a (sort of) sprinter. That would be like hating on Cavendish or Kittel for never attacking. It's their job to win races, not to race excitedly.
Besides, he seems like a pretty cool guy.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,977
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

18 Mar 2017 17:13

I love the fact that there is/was a Gerrans character in the bunch, punishing the riders who took him to the line. I disliked how his team would mark moves without pulling, but that is fair game. In the perfect world though, no one would ever pull for him, and an attacker would win.

I think much of the hate stems from the fact that him winning is the symbol of a bad race. Not that he made it bad, but because he usually only wins bad races.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,237
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

18 Mar 2017 17:15

it's been 5 years about time to stop the constant references when someone who doesn't do the most work wins
User avatar Billie
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,041
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 14:09

Re: Re:

18 Mar 2017 17:17

DFA123 wrote:
the asian wrote:If Gerrans wins, the race is usually damn boring.

The LBL he won was one of the shittiest monuments ever.

That's why people dislike him.

Surely that was everyone else's fault but Gerrans though? He played his cards and won - so is absolved from any responsibility for making the race interesting as far as I'm concerned. The teams and riders who chose to sat in and wait, and do nothing, only to get outsprinted are surely the ones to blame for the terrible race.

Gerrans is purely a symptom of a poor race, rather than a cause of it. So it's a bit unfair to dislike him for it.


OFC it's not Gerrans fault but as i said earlier if he wins a race it's usually a boring one, so most dislike Gerrans winning anything .

Most aren't necessarily Gerrans haters, but they hate dull races and racers.
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,330
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

Re: Re:

18 Mar 2017 17:22

the asian wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
the asian wrote:If Gerrans wins, the race is usually damn boring.

The LBL he won was one of the shittiest monuments ever.

That's why people dislike him.

Surely that was everyone else's fault but Gerrans though? He played his cards and won - so is absolved from any responsibility for making the race interesting as far as I'm concerned. The teams and riders who chose to sat in and wait, and do nothing, only to get outsprinted are surely the ones to blame for the terrible race.

Gerrans is purely a symptom of a poor race, rather than a cause of it. So it's a bit unfair to dislike him for it.


OFC it's not Gerrans fault but as i said earlier if he wins a race it's usually a boring one, so nobody likes Gerrans winning anything.

Most aren't necessarily Gerrans haters, but they dislike him winning.

Thanks for the clarification, completely understand that and agree with it. I don't really like it when Gerrans wins races either, because he's not an exciting rider and it usually means the race has been a bit dull. But certainly there's a world of difference between that and hating him/criticizing him for riding and winning in the only way he can.
User avatar DFA123
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,212
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

18 Mar 2017 17:26

As it has already been written, the main reason why he is disliked is because a Gerrans win is a synonym for a boring race.
Besides that his wheelsucking mentality just can't be ignored. Yeah, wheelsucking isn't always a stupid tactic and I think what he did in MSR was absolutely okay. He won after all so he did everything perfectly. The problem is that there are other races in which Gerrans is the reason why a group can't collaborate. In the WC 2014 he was part of the chasing group only a few seconds behind Kwiatkowski at the top of the last climb. But instead of trying to catch Kwiat he didn't take one single pull and Kwiat won the race. Then after the race he was crying around that he is so sad that he couldn't win although he himself didn't work. This mentality is what annoys fans and I think it's only logical that he is disliked.
User avatar Gigs_98
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,247
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re:

18 Mar 2017 17:26

Geraint Too Fast wrote:The hate is totally irrational. Many riders employ exactly the same tactics as Gerrans and don't even win, but nobody complains about them.


Exactly. It's because he's actually good enough to win big races using tactics people don't like.

Or at least used to be able. I think he's past it now.

the asian wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
the asian wrote:If Gerrans wins, the race is usually damn boring.

The LBL he won was one of the shittiest monuments ever.

That's why people dislike him.

Surely that was everyone else's fault but Gerrans though? He played his cards and won - so is absolved from any responsibility for making the race interesting as far as I'm concerned. The teams and riders who chose to sat in and wait, and do nothing, only to get outsprinted are surely the ones to blame for the terrible race.

Gerrans is purely a symptom of a poor race, rather than a cause of it. So it's a bit unfair to dislike him for it.


OFC it's not Gerrans fault but as i said earlier if he wins a race it's usually a boring one, so most dislike Gerrans winning anything .

Most aren't necessarily Gerrans haters, but they hate dull races and racers.


I think that's a bit overplayed. It's certainly been true a couple of times and LBL is always cited (rightfully so) but I don't think MSR for example, was a boring edition the year he won. I get why people would not be fans of riders if they don't like their tactics even when they are playing to their strengths but the vitriol Gerrans gets is rather sad to me.
Last edited by jaylew on 18 Mar 2017 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,186
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 05:46
Location: ATX

18 Mar 2017 17:32

Here's why I can't stand Gerrans.

Several times over the years he has refused to take any pulls, then whined - and on occasion literally cried - about the group he was in not catching an attacker.

In 2014 he probably would've been world champion if he had taken one single solitary pull. He didn't. When his turn came to be on the front he freewheeled and waved others around. Even glass cranking would've cost his group less time than the freewheeling did. Then at the finish he cried about Kwiatkowski finishing a second ahead.

Other guys who ride like he does I don't have a problem with, because they call a spade a spade. Most sprinters wheelsuck to every win. I have no problem with that. Costa rarely takes a pull. I have no problem with that.

Gerrans' hypocrisy I have a big problem with.

tl;dr I have nothing against his riding, but a lot against his personality.

EDIT: I see now others have mentioned the Ponferrada worlds so I probably should've given another example like Amstel 2013
Last edited by GuyIncognito on 18 Mar 2017 17:38, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,915
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

18 Mar 2017 17:35

Gigs_98 wrote:As it has already been written, the main reason why he is disliked is because a Gerrans win is a synonym for a boring race.
Besides that his wheelsucking mentality just can't be ignored. Yeah, wheelsucking isn't always a stupid tactic and I think what he did in MSR was absolutely okay. He won after all so he did everything perfectly. The problem is that there are other races in which Gerrans is the reason why a group can't collaborate. In the WC 2014 he was part of the chasing group only a few seconds behind Kwiatkowski at the top of the last climb. But instead of trying to catch Kwiat he didn't take one single pull and Kwiat won the race. Then after the race he was crying around that he is so sad that he couldn't win although he himself didn't work. This mentality is what annoys fans and I think it's only logical that he is disliked.

Man, I had forgotten about that! That was ****** of him and a perfectly good reason to dislike the guy as a rider.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,186
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 05:46
Location: ATX

Re: Re:

18 Mar 2017 17:37

jaylew wrote:
Geraint Too Fast wrote:The hate is totally irrational. Many riders employ exactly the same tactics as Gerrans and don't even win, but nobody complains about them.


Exactly. It's because he's actually good enough to win big races using tactics people don't like.

Or at least used to be able. I think he's past it now.

the asian wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
the asian wrote:If Gerrans wins, the race is usually damn boring.

The LBL he won was one of the shittiest monuments ever.

That's why people dislike him.

Surely that was everyone else's fault but Gerrans though? He played his cards and won - so is absolved from any responsibility for making the race interesting as far as I'm concerned. The teams and riders who chose to sat in and wait, and do nothing, only to get outsprinted are surely the ones to blame for the terrible race.

Gerrans is purely a symptom of a poor race, rather than a cause of it. So it's a bit unfair to dislike him for it.


OFC it's not Gerrans fault but as i said earlier if he wins a race it's usually a boring one, so most dislike Gerrans winning anything .

Most aren't necessarily Gerrans haters, but they hate dull races and racers.


I think that's a bit overplayed. It's certainly been true a couple of times and LBL is always cited (rightfully so) but I don't think MSR for example, was a boring edition the year he won. I get why people would not be fans of riders if they don't like their tactics even when they are playing to their strengths but the vitriol Gerrans gets is rather sad to me.



That's why I said it's usually a boring race. Even there though it was Cancellara who made the race.

I honestly don't know if Gerrans has got any fans on this site. Don't think even the Aussies like him as a rider.
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,330
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AlexNYC, Anderis, GenericBoonenFan, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Ricco', rick james, Rollthedice, Sandisfan, Tank Engine, the delgados, togo95, Valv.Piti, Velolover2, Warynski and 77 guests

Back to top