Register

I don't get the Gerrans hate

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: peloton, Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky

18 Mar 2017 17:38

I don't hate Gerrans, but I guess that the fact that he sounds like a squeaking mouse when he talks doesn't help either.
"Fred bud, he drives five kilometres too fast for us" - Frans Verbeeck talking about Eddy Merckx in an interview with Fred De Bruyne after finishing second in the Tour of Flandres in 1974.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re: I don't get the Gerrans hate

18 Mar 2017 17:40

jaylew wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:As it has already been written, the main reason why he is disliked is because a Gerrans win is a synonym for a boring race.
Besides that his wheelsucking mentality just can't be ignored. Yeah, wheelsucking isn't always a stupid tactic and I think what he did in MSR was absolutely okay. He won after all so he did everything perfectly. The problem is that there are other races in which Gerrans is the reason why a group can't collaborate. In the WC 2014 he was part of the chasing group only a few seconds behind Kwiatkowski at the top of the last climb. But instead of trying to catch Kwiat he didn't take one single pull and Kwiat won the race. Then after the race he was crying around that he is so sad that he couldn't win although he himself didn't work. This mentality is what annoys fans and I think it's only logical that he is disliked.

Man, I had forgotten about that! That was ****** of him and a perfectly good reason to dislike the guy as a rider.

Not chasing Sagan probably cost Matthews a rainbow jersey.
MatParker117

18 Mar 2017 17:40

Gigs_98 wrote:As it has already been written, the main reason why he is disliked is because a Gerrans win is a synonym for a boring race.
Besides that his wheelsucking mentality just can't be ignored. Yeah, wheelsucking isn't always a stupid tactic and I think what he did in MSR was absolutely okay. He won after all so he did everything perfectly. The problem is that there are other races in which Gerrans is the reason why a group can't collaborate. In the WC 2014 he was part of the chasing group only a few seconds behind Kwiatkowski at the top of the last climb. But instead of trying to catch Kwiat he didn't take one single pull and Kwiat won the race. Then after the race he was crying around that he is so sad that he couldn't win although he himself didn't work. This mentality is what annoys fans and I think it's only logical that he is disliked.

Thanks to him an attacker won instead of Valverde or whoever in a sprint.... I don't really mind that.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

18 Mar 2017 17:41

He sounds like a squeaking mouse? I've never heard a squeaking mouse talk, so I wouldn't know.
Sure, he does have a rather, interesting, way of talking. But I just assumed it was his very notable Aussie accent.
Besides, it's it a bit weak to dislike somebody because you don't like the way they talk?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

18 Mar 2017 17:54

being a fan is generally a definition of expierencing love or hate. i don't see anything wrong with that. as to gerrans the more different characters the better for the sport. could you imagine cycling where all the riders would've had the mentality of sagan, cancellara or boonen? we simply couldn't have praised really big champions that much. gerrans-like riders are needed too
dacooley

Re:

18 Mar 2017 17:56

dacooley wrote:being a fan is generally a definition of expierencing love or hate. i don't see anything wrong with that. as to gerrans the more different characters the better for the sport. could you imagine cycling where all the riders would've had the mentality of sagan, cancellara or boonen? we simply couldn't have praised really big champions that much. gerrans-like riders are needed too

I assume by "character" you mean how they race tactically, because off the bike as people Cancellara is a world apart from the other two.
User avatar GuyIncognito

18 Mar 2017 18:18

Netserk wrote:

Thanks to him an attacker won instead of Valverde or whoever in a sprint.... I don't really mind that.

Yeah, but when he was interviewed he talked about being heartbroken, he talked like an attacker who got caught a few meters before the finish line. He didn't take a single pull, even Valverde took a few pulls.
He also refused to work for Matthews in the 2015 WC, I can understand that Bling was pissed when he won the sprint behind Sagan.
User avatar Mayomaniac

18 Mar 2017 18:43

It's not so much that he doesn't attack (although that obviously doesn't win him many fans), it's mostly what GuyIncognito said: he doesn't pull even when it'd be in his best interest to do so. At the MSR he won, for example, he was the fastest of the three and still refused to work. He doesn't create racing, he destroys it.

Which he obviously has a right to do, but then you shouldn't expect fans to support that kind of thing.

edit: I mean, wheelsucking is fine when you're the slowest rider or you've been in the break or whatever, but Gerrans would very often be the fastest one and he'd still expect to be towed to the finish line. I can't stand that. Also, his clashes with Matthews are very telling, but screw Matthews too.

edit 2: also, you don't need to join in the Gerrans hating but surely it's a most simple thing to comprehend?
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

Re:

18 Mar 2017 19:10

RedheadDane wrote:He sounds like a squeaking mouse? I've never heard a squeaking mouse talk, so I wouldn't know.
Sure, he does have a rather, interesting, way of talking. But I just assumed it was his very notable Aussie accent.
Besides, it's it a bit weak to dislike somebody because you don't like the way they talk?

It is but my friends and I agree that if you already dislike him, it's something that strengthens the feeling.
"Fred bud, he drives five kilometres too fast for us" - Frans Verbeeck talking about Eddy Merckx in an interview with Fred De Bruyne after finishing second in the Tour of Flandres in 1974.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

18 Mar 2017 19:12

Seems like quite a few of those Aussie guys have a high-ish, squeaky voice - Gerrans, Cadel, Porte...
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re: Re:

18 Mar 2017 19:13

GenericBoonenFan wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:He sounds like a squeaking mouse? I've never heard a squeaking mouse talk, so I wouldn't know.

It is but my friends and I agree that if you already dislike him, it's something that strengthens the feeling.

Yeah, his voice is annoying af. :D
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

18 Mar 2017 19:21

Does it even matter anymore? He hasn't done anything but break bones while derailing others during descents in the last few years. No idea how he is still WT.
hazaran

Re:

18 Mar 2017 19:22

the asian wrote:If Gerrans wins, the race is usually damn boring.

The LBL he won was one of the shittiest monuments ever.

That's why people dislike him.

That LBL wasn't that bad, at least a few riders animated the final, we had Arredondo adn Pozzovivo on tthe attack, the Pozzovivo and Caruso attack near the end and the Dan Martin crash on the final corner.
Not a great edition, but for me it was better than 2015, that was a really boring race (no disrespect to Valverde, he played it smart an won the race).
User avatar Mayomaniac

18 Mar 2017 19:23

Mayomaniac wrote:

That LBL wasn't that bad, at least a few riders animated the final, we had Arredondo adn Pozzovivo on tthe attack, the Pozzovivo and Caruso attack near the end and the Dan Martin crash on the final corner.
Not a great edition, but for me it was better than 2015, that was a really boring race (no disrespect to Valverde, he played it smart an won the race).

Last year was pretty abysmal too.
Brullnux

18 Mar 2017 19:34

Brullnux wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:

Last year was pretty abysmal too.

Can we just agree that all lbl editions since I think 2012 were increibly bad.
User avatar Gigs_98

Re:

18 Mar 2017 19:50

hrotha wrote:It's not so much that he doesn't attack (although that obviously doesn't win him many fans), it's mostly what GuyIncognito said: he doesn't pull even when it'd be in his best interest to do so. At the MSR he won, for example, he was the fastest of the three and still refused to work. He doesn't create racing, he destroys it.

Which he obviously has a right to do, but then you shouldn't expect fans to support that kind of thing.

edit: I mean, wheelsucking is fine when you're the slowest rider or you've been in the break or whatever, but Gerrans would very often be the fastest one and he'd still expect to be towed to the finish line. I can't stand that. Also, his clashes with Matthews are very telling, but screw Matthews too.

edit 2: also, you don't need to join in the Gerrans hating but surely it's a most simple thing to comprehend?

I agree with everything except that he refused to work at MSR back then. I'm pretty sure Cancellara was pulling like a madman for most of the time almost without looking back and even asking for a pull. Can't really blame Gerrans for that.
User avatar Flamin

18 Mar 2017 22:04

What really grinds my gears with Gerrans is that he's a more capable rider than he shows, the way he bridged to Cancellara's attack on the Poggio in 2012 is a prime example of that.

Go back and revisit Gerrans' stage wins in the GTs in 2008 and 2009. They were won by sticking the knife in the moment the rest of the break showed weakness or hesitation, and he rode away with the win. Gerrans also had other wins where he had to take affairs into his own hands such as GP Pluoay and the Australian Championships.

But now? It's nothing but negative riding. Another prime example is this year's nationals. Gerrans simply watched Scotson ride past, fully expecting an exhausted Durbridge to chase, then you see Gerrans clearly annoyed when Durbridge couldn't. Gerrans was fresh enough to cover everyone scrambling after Scotson and win the sprint for second, yet didn't even try and mark Scotson.

Negative riding at it's worst.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

18 Mar 2017 22:22

I do not cheer for Simon Gerrans to win any race, as the race will usually be horrible if he is in contention. Over time though I have come to admire Simon Gerrans as perhaps the wiliest, most ruthless, overachiever in the peloton.

Everyone always loves the superb athletic specimens, the miracles of genetics or pharmacology. But the guy who isn't the strongest or the most gifted but who wins anyway because he is smarter than his rivals is in many ways the most admirable. Gerrans never, ever goes into a race as the favourite, yet he has accumulated a stunning palmares. He is the king of pulling out wins in races where on paper a dozen guys are stronger, rivalled only by Rui Costa. People gloat and gloat about the WCRR he botched precisely because there are so few major tactical errors on his rap sheet.

Gerrans is not entertaining himself, but he is a force for entertainment in the sport. He is the punishment the universe inflicts on stronger puncheurs when they ride conservatively. Believe me, those who hate him now will miss him when no such punishment exists, when he is gone and Valverde is gone and every puncheur feels free to back his own sprint.
Zinoviev Letter

Re:

18 Mar 2017 22:51

Zinoviev Letter wrote:Gerrans is not entertaining himself, but he is a force for entertainment in the sport. He is the punishment the universe inflicts on stronger puncheurs when they ride conservatively. Believe me, those who hate him now will miss him when no such punishment exists, when he is gone and Valverde is gone and every puncheur feels free to back his own sprint.

I mean, they already do.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

18 Mar 2017 22:58

Flamin wrote:
hrotha wrote:It's not so much that he doesn't attack (although that obviously doesn't win him many fans), it's mostly what GuyIncognito said: he doesn't pull even when it'd be in his best interest to do so. At the MSR he won, for example, he was the fastest of the three and still refused to work. He doesn't create racing, he destroys it.

I agree with everything except that he refused to work at MSR back then. I'm pretty sure Cancellara was pulling like a madman for most of the time almost without looking back and even asking for a pull. Can't really blame Gerrans for that.

Agreed. Even Nibali could do nothing but hold on to that attack and he was second wheel. At least Gerrans took a turn at the bottom of the Poggio.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing