Register

I don't get the Gerrans hate

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

24 Mar 2017 07:00

I just don't understand; why spend so much energy to complain about one rider you don't like? It's as if you get a delicious meal served, and on the plate - off to the edge - are a few Brussels sprouts. You then proceed to spend the entire meal complaining about the Brussels sprouts rather than, ya know, just ignore them and enjoy the rest of the meal.

Calling Gerrans a tactically smart rider negates a very clear point: those tactics only work because he is usually the strongest sprinter left at the point when it works, and they only work if at least one of the following two things happen:
1) other racers race timidly
2) other racers act as if lobotomized when attacks happen, and chase them down without weakening the best sprinter in the group allowing that sprinter to then sprint against them.

Shouldn't you be criticising the other riders just as much then? (Especially for point 1). After all; it's hardly Gerrans' fault if the other riders don't attack. But I guess that brings us (back) to the question:
Are races boring because Gerrans won? Or Does Gerrans have a tendency to win races which have been raced boringly?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

24 Mar 2017 07:52

Option 2. That version of Liege Gerrans won is one of the most terrible things I've ever seen in cycling outside of the Scheldeprijs.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

24 Mar 2017 09:46

RedheadDane wrote:I just don't understand; why spend so much energy to complain about one rider you don't like? It's as if you get a delicious meal served, and on the plate - off to the edge - are a few Brussels sprouts. You then proceed to spend the entire meal complaining about the Brussels sprouts rather than, ya know, just ignore them and enjoy the rest of the meal.

Calling Gerrans a tactically smart rider negates a very clear point: those tactics only work because he is usually the strongest sprinter left at the point when it works, and they only work if at least one of the following two things happen:
1) other racers race timidly
2) other racers act as if lobotomized when attacks happen, and chase them down without weakening the best sprinter in the group allowing that sprinter to then sprint against them.

Shouldn't you be criticising the other riders just as much then? (Especially for point 1). After all; it's hardly Gerrans' fault if the other riders don't attack. But I guess that brings us (back) to the question:
Are races boring because Gerrans won? Or Does Gerrans have a tendency to win races which have been raced boringly?

Mostly the latter, but the way his team mark attacks to doom them can be quite frustrating.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Previous

Return to Professional road racing