Register

Coolest Names in the Peloton*

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Coolest Names in the Peloton*

19 Aug 2018 11:26

I will be very simple here. Cunego sounds kinda tame compared to the grandiose sound of König. I actually though Küng was king in German, so i was ready to propose Stefan Küng, but it seems to be incorrect.

I really like the name Kruijswijk. It sounds like a name for a battleship. Also some of those Colombian names are cool.
railxmig

19 Aug 2018 12:43

I would imagine "Küng" is a Swiss German variant of "king/König". As for "Cunego", I really like its sound and that it's an Italian development of a Germanic word (see here. That only adds to the charm even if it's not so transparent, because it carries with it a chunk of the history of northern Italy.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

19 Aug 2018 15:16

I prefer Erik Breukink over Kruijswijk, because with a little imagination it literally means Breakin'!

Too bad the opponents were Breakin' Erik on the Pordoi pass at that 1989 Giro d'Italia instead of him Breukink Fignon!
User avatar staubsauger

20 Aug 2018 09:26

I like names that are so typical of the country they're from.

Like Sean Kelly, Pedro Delgado, Roberto Ferrari, Jean-Francois Bernard, Jan Ullrich, etc.
barmaher

20 Aug 2018 09:37

Then there's Fabio Jakobsen; first name sounds Italian, surname sounds Danish, guy is Dutch - go figure!

Also, according to Chris Anker Sørensen Pierre-Luc Perichon is the best French name ever.

The names you come across when checking start lists; Daan Van Sintmaartensdijk! Hmm... does "dijk" mean "dike"? Would make sense to have it a part of a Dutch name (like Ellen Van Dijk).
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

20 Aug 2018 13:24

RedheadDane wrote:Then there's Fabio Jakobsen; first name sounds Italian, surname sounds Danish, guy is Dutch - go figure!

Also, according to Chris Anker Sørensen Pierre-Luc Perichon is the best French name ever.

The names you come across when checking start lists; Daan Van Sintmaartensdijk! Hmm... does "dijk" mean "dike"? Would make sense to have it a part of a Dutch name (like Ellen Van Dijk).

Yeah it is, dijk = dike/embankment
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

20 Aug 2018 13:31

Makes more sense than all the various Van Den Bergs running around. Though, I remember reading somewhere that the creation of family names in the Netherlands happened when the French occupied the area under Napoleon and demanded that everyone should have a family name (as opposed to patronym, I guess), and the Dutch just decided to take the piss!
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

20 Aug 2018 13:42

RedheadDane wrote:Makes more sense than all the various Van Den Bergs running around. Though, I remember reading somewhere that the creation of family names in the Netherlands happened when the French occupied the area under Napoleon and demanded that everyone should have a family name (as opposed to patronym, I guess), and the Dutch just decided to take the piss!

Yeah that's why they have
Lars Boom (tree)
Stef Kurl (curl)
Ivar slik (swallow)
Oh and CX-rider Thijs Al which just means all and then I forget Richard Groenewegen, whose name just means "green roads" which was fitting for a CX-rider.
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

20 Aug 2018 14:39

Slik is also a type of land which makes more sense as a surname.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re: Re:

20 Aug 2018 14:39

This is coolest name in cycling world beyond debate.... Peter Sagan.

Strange, nobody knows Sagan here?
Coolest name in cycling history.

If not, Latour is a symbol of cycling race.
Last edited by toolittle on 20 Aug 2018 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
toolittle

Re:

20 Aug 2018 14:41

RedheadDane wrote:Then there's Fabio Jakobsen; first name sounds Italian, surname sounds Danish, guy is Dutch - go figure!

Sint-Maartensdijk is simply the name of a town in the Netherlands. So his ancestors most likely were from (=van) that town.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

20 Aug 2018 14:44

But does the town have a dijk?
Or are/were the Dutch as ridiculous when it comes to naming towns? I mean, don't tell me the town is in the middle of the frikkin' Limburg province!

toolittle wrote:This is coolest name in cycling world beyond debate.... Peter Sagan.

I'm not talking about the coolest rider, I'm talking about the coolest name.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

20 Aug 2018 15:41

RedheadDane wrote:But does the town have a dijk?
Or are/were the Dutch as ridiculous when it comes to naming towns? I mean, don't tell me the town is in the middle of the frikkin' Limburg province!

toolittle wrote:This is coolest name in cycling world beyond debate.... Peter Sagan.

I'm not talking about the coolest rider, I'm talking about the coolest name.

Actually, i think it can be a pretty cool name, but it depends on the language. I'm not sure if Sagan isn't Slovakian for pot.

As for town names, the worst (when it comes to their English meaning) are by far in France: Die, Corps, Condom, Bitche, Gap, Pussy (in La Léchère-les-Bains) and i think i've forgotten about some others. Belgium also has some... exotic names like Nazareth, Egypten (Drie-Egypten) and Lochristi.
railxmig

20 Aug 2018 15:44

Well, Sint-Maartensdijk is in Zeeland and pretty close to the sea, so the answer is probably "yes". But if you found a town with a name in -dijk that was pretty far inland, it would probably be either because the shoreline has changed, or because the -dijk element somehow retained its more generic sense of "earthwork, ditch".
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

21 Aug 2018 11:10

If we're including place names as well now - we are - I'd say some of the names of the climbs and cobbled sections in the Spring Classics are pretty awesome.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

21 Aug 2018 14:17

In the middle of Limburg there are also 'dijken' or dykes, to protect from the rivers. There have been some large floods in the past which is why we need them, even in the middle of Limburg :)
I think as a person who is born, raised and living in exactly the middle of Limburg, I'd know
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

21 Aug 2018 14:36

hrotha wrote:

Well, Sint-Maartensdijk is in Zeeland and pretty close to the sea, so the answer is probably "yes". But if you found a town with a name in -dijk that was pretty far inland, it would probably be either because the shoreline has changed, or because the -dijk element somehow retained its more generic sense of "earthwork, ditch".

You'll find "dijken" across the whole country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05LcPjQv_Is
Watch this video to see what would happen if they were all gone, even in Limburg :D

Fabio Jakobsen was actually named after Fabio Casartelli. And Jakobsen basically means son of Jakob (biblical name, James in English). The tradition of using -sen in the last name to denote being a son of is also very common in the Netherlands :)
wouterkaas

Re: Re:

21 Aug 2018 15:17

wouterkaas wrote:Fabio Jakobsen was actually named after Fabio Casartelli. And Jakobsen basically means son of Jakob (biblical name, James in English). The tradition of using -sen in the last name to denote being a son of is also very common in the Netherlands :)

That's nice.
And of course his surname would be 'Jakobsen' if it's the surname of his parents. I know what the 'sen' part means, just thought it was more a Scandinavian way of making surnames.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

24 Aug 2018 09:14

Andzs Flaksis...what the hell :razz: for everybody who thinks Latvian names aren't as cool asi Lithuanian :) See, Der Effe? :)
Kokoso

24 Aug 2018 09:53

Colombia is producing the best names per capita of any nation

Winner Anacona
Darwin Atapuma
Rigoberto Uran Uran

Basque cyclists, many great names. It depends on one's native language, but they are appealing because of the consonant clusters of K, X, Z, and the accents

Beñat Intxausti
Gorka Izagirre
Amets Txurruka

I kind of agree with the Lithuania suggestion as well. Anyway, most of the 'good names' are probably on others' lists as well but it is indeed an interesting question why some names seem outstanding

Ignatas Konovalovas
Simona Krupeckaitė
Ramūnas Navardauskas

'Lance Armstrong' is a very good name for a cartoon action-hero, and that is for sure one reason why Lance was marketable by corporations
ClassicomanoLuigi

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing