Register

Equipe FDJ - Official Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Equipe FDJ - Official Thread

03 Oct 2017 23:13

Maybe FDJ should have kept Nacer, to handle the racist talks to Reza and today...bim bam boom. Moscon looking like a racoon...
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

17 Oct 2017 16:32

Demare loves the '18 TdF design, Pinot is excited, I'm not sure that FDJ can please both.

8 riders:
Demare+Guarnieri+Cimolai
Pinot+Reichenbach+Molard

That's 6. With the TTT, you want Lebon and Ludvigsson.

No Roux, Morabito, Kono, Roy, Ladagnous, or Bonnet...no way to play on both fronts.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

17 Oct 2017 16:36

Tonton wrote:Demare loves the '18 TdF design, Pinot is excited, I'm not sure that FDJ can please both.

8 riders:
Demare+Guarnieri+Cimolai
Pinot+Reichenbach+Molard

No Roux, Morabito, Kono, Roy, Ladagnous, or Bonnet...no way to play on both fronts.

I think they should support Demare as the team leader at the Tour and let Pinot ride the Giro for gc, with smaller teams and Demare probably wanting a bigger sprint train it's probably the best option.
Pinot likes riding in Italy and is also well liked among the Italian fans, so it wouldn't be a big problem.
User avatar Mayomaniac

17 Oct 2017 16:42

Please be right :) .
User avatar Tonton

17 Oct 2017 16:48

Having the biggest French sprinter who managed to win a Tour stage on the same team could really allow him to target the Giro for gc.
User avatar Mayomaniac

17 Oct 2017 18:29

Actually Demare should ride both the Giro and the TDF.
yaco

17 Oct 2017 18:37

Tonton wrote:Demare loves the '18 TdF design, Pinot is excited, I'm not sure that FDJ can please both.

8 riders:
Demare+Guarnieri+Cimolai
Pinot+Reichenbach+Molard

You know Lebon is leaving the team? :confused:
User avatar liamito

17 Oct 2017 19:45

...yes, my bad...Vital-Concept...

Good for Preidler :) .
User avatar Tonton

17 Oct 2017 22:07

Pinot just said in today's interview that TDF will be the main event of his 2018 season.

He doesn't know if he should ride Giro or Vuelta + World for his second objective. (And Lombardy of course)

Good luck Marc to make a decent team and please both of them.
User avatar Chrispol

17 Oct 2017 22:41

Chrispol wrote:Pinot just said in today's interview that TDF will be the main event of his 2018 season.

He doesn't know if he should ride Giro or Vuelta + World for his second objective. (And Lombardy of course)

Good luck Marc to make a decent team and please both of them.

As I "demonstrated" above, there's no way to go for both yellow and green. Or FDJ will get nothing. Pinot needs the best TTT line-up plus mountain help. That would mean Demare (good engine in ITT/TTT) with no train, as dom for Tibopino on the cobbles. No ifs, no buts IMO.

Good luck Marc explaining that to the sponsor. You can't have it both ways.
User avatar Tonton

17 Oct 2017 22:56

FDJ will get nothing either way. Sorry to tell you that mate
Kwibus wrote:So much questions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

17 Oct 2017 23:07

Red Rick wrote:FDJ will get nothing either way. Sorry to tell you that mate

I don't think that my chouchou can win the whole thing, but a podium is possible. That is with a solid TTT performance. Yes, Pinot got a free minute on stage 18 at Il Giro, but he lost more than four against the clock. Against a super Dumoulin, who delivered the best GT performance of the year. With only 31km in ITT like at this upcoming Tour, he could have won. His third week was big. He was strong.

After that, we saw in '14 that things happen. So why not? But with Demare and his train, no way: a top-5 is the best that Tibopino can get.
User avatar Tonton

19 Oct 2017 14:13

Pinot could target the Giro, and still go to the Tour and target stages.
That's what he's done this year, but he felt ill at the tour.
It's the best for every body :
- same program than last year, so the preparation should be at least better
- he is at the tour, to please sponsors, but don't need mountains support or rouleurs for the TTT. Demare can have a full train.
- Pinot is happy, he can be at the italian races he likes. He's at the tour without pressure. And (with no illness), he can obviously win stages from breakaways (also KOM?)
axl

19 Oct 2017 15:10

Pinot has stated he will never again do the Giro/TDF double.
yaco

Re:

19 Oct 2017 16:07

yaco wrote:Pinot has stated he will never again do the Giro/TDF double.

Yes... and yet he said Tuesday that he'll maybe do the Giro as a second objective before the Tour in 2018...

Maybe he talked in th heat of the moment, or like he said this is his bad preparation before the race (wanted to defend the jersey and racing the National made him stop the bike too few days) which prevent him to be better at the Tour and he is willing to give it another go with a better schedule.

Actually he said that for the first time, he is going to start the season in the Tour du Haut-Var at the end of February, instead of the Marseillaise in January, wich is a good thing because he seems totally spent every time he race the Tour.
User avatar Chrispol

19 Oct 2017 17:15

Same reaction as last year, then the Giro presentation took place, and Tibopino was again ecstatic. Heat of the moment. In the end, his contract expires after '18, the sponsor has its agenda, Madiot will be in the middle, who knows?

But what I know (and I strongly disagree with axl) is that Thibaut can't screw up his next TdF. Look at '15: huge stage win...so what? Even knowledgeable members on this very forum only remember 16th overall and a stage win; they forgot what really happened, the first week of hell followed by a strong performance and "redemption" on AdH.

For the average fan, all that matters is the GC. Ask Voekler. Fair or unfair, TP's record-breaking '12 and '14 podium performance have set very high expectations. He needs a top-5 (at least) for his Tour to be considered a success. He can do it. With one more week between Giro and Tour, no nationals, doing both is feasible. Very risky though. Probably too risky.

And in order to stand a chance at a top-5 or better at the TdF, we can't have a train for Demare taking half the roster spots. Thibaut needs the best TTT lineup. And Demare to dom on the cobbles.
User avatar Tonton

19 Oct 2017 17:47

Last year Pinot never said that he would do the Tour. Next year Pinot will do Tour and Vuelta
rbl85

Re:

19 Oct 2017 22:32

rbl85 wrote:Last year Pinot never said that he would do the Tour. Next year Pinot will do Tour and Vuelta

Don't think so, he also said that this is a posiblility but that he can be in form without doing the Vuelta. He doesn't look like he wanted to ride the spanish race. I think he's got bad memory about 2014 when he left the race sick.(again...)
User avatar Chrispol

19 Oct 2017 22:35

That's why doubles Giro-Tour or Tour-Vuelta are a bad idea...
User avatar Tonton

20 Oct 2017 11:34

Pinot should say no to any race held by ASO except La Vuelta
Alpe-Thibaut

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing