Register

Michele Scarponi RIP

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

04 Jun 2017 19:37

lartiste wrote:
sir fly wrote:Six weeks, right?
Is it spiritual interval in catholic church, too?

I just did not want the topic to sink ... ;) nothing specific behind the period ...

I think nobody else mentioned it (please correct me if I'm wrong), but at the start of the giro Vino mentioned that they'll still honor his contract and pay the rest of his salary to his family.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

04 Jun 2017 21:19

lartiste wrote:

I just did not want the topic to sink ... ;) nothing specific behind the period ...

Well, it's a neat coincidence.
40 days or six weeks... depends on praxis.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran

04 Jun 2017 22:00

Mayomaniac wrote:
lartiste wrote:

I think nobody else mentioned it (please correct me if I'm wrong), but at the start of the giro Vino mentioned that they'll still honor his contract and pay the rest of his salary to his family.

No, I never came accross this information ... . And it is good decision from Vino, really appreciate it!
User avatar lartiste

09 Oct 2017 19:14

I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best

Re:

10 Oct 2017 20:36

portugal11

Re:

12 Oct 2017 13:56

I just don't understand the speed to
Kill
Someone :(
Scarponi

12 Oct 2017 15:19

Incredibly sad. A vehicle is a potentially lethal weapon and such complacency is far too common these days. Texting while driving, watching videos etc. Really terrible.
User avatar jsem94

Re:

12 Oct 2017 23:31

jsem94 wrote:Incredibly sad. A vehicle is a potentially lethal weapon and such complacency is far too common these days. Texting while driving, watching videos etc. Really terrible.

Car driving seems to be, how to get away with things while I am driving. As if car driving did not have enough distractions already. Innocent people suffer the consequences and you have to wonder when sentencing for such incidents will become tougher. It seems that if a bike rider is involved somehow the bike rider has contributed by just being on a bike and on the road. It's ridiculous.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 Feb 2018 11:19

Sad epilogue to this story
reported in the Corriere this morning

http://www.corriere.it/cronache/18_febbraio_13/ancona-morto-un-tumore-l-uomo-che-investi-ciclista-scarponi-59f6c782-109d-11e8-ae74-6fc70a32f18b.shtml

The man who hit the cyclist Scarponi has died from a tumor.
Giacconi, 58 years old, today will be buried in the cemetery of Filottrano,
the town in the province of Ancona, a few meters from the tomb of Scarponi.
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

13 Feb 2018 12:51

A tumor from depression?

58 year old is still a very young age to suddenly die in 2018.
Velolover2

Re:

13 Feb 2018 14:14

Velolover2 wrote:A tumor from depression?

58 year old is still a very young age to suddenly die in 2018.

My Italian is based almost entirely on cognates with Spanish, but I don't read it as suggesting that.

But depression would surely affect one's willingness to go through the very draining treatments that cancers require, and to the extent that resolve is considered a key to combating illness, it would undermine that.

All cloud, no silver lining.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

13 Feb 2018 14:38

Rest in Peace.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

13 Feb 2018 15:04

What a sad situation :(
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

13 Feb 2018 18:07

Old man no one (here) has any relations to dies of cancer (shocker). Bad for him and those near him, but really, who cares? I'd be forever sad if I were to be affected by tragedies of that significance and that proximity to me. How many are killed or raped globally for every minute?
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

13 Feb 2018 18:09

Netserk wrote:Old man no one (here) has any relations to dies of cancer (shocker). Bad for him and those near him, but really, who cares? I'd be forever sad if I were to be affected by tragedies of that significance and that proximity to me. How many are killed or raped globally for every minute?

In the newspaper it says after the incident he had no power to fight the illness anymore. As we're all familiar with the tragic situation (this man was a friend of the Scarponi family) of course it's normal to feel a little sad when reading this.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

13 Feb 2018 18:17

LaFlorecita wrote:
Netserk wrote:Old man no one (here) has any relations to dies of cancer (shocker). Bad for him and those near him, but really, who cares? I'd be forever sad if I were to be affected by tragedies of that significance and that proximity to me. How many are killed or raped globally for every minute?

In the newspaper it says after the incident he had no power to fight the illness anymore. As we're all familiar with the tragic situation (this man was a friend of the Scarponi family) of course it's normal to feel a little sad when reading this.

the shortened version on the GAzzetta site says that the disease (probably cancer) was not responsive to therapy.He discovered the disease few months ago (discovered too late I assume)
It's completely unrelated to Scarponi

It's only an additional sad story piling up on the scarponi's story :(
User avatar 46&twoWheels

Re:

13 Feb 2018 20:12

What a tactless useless comment.
As you don't care, than nobody here has to care... very strong logic.

Sometimes people don't know when to keep their mouth shut.
huge

13 Feb 2018 20:28

huge wrote:

Well said
"Old man" - same age as my father and I would not consider him an old man
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

13 Feb 2018 20:42

huge wrote:

How to Disagree
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

23 Apr 2018 07:53

Just bumping this up again to say aww!
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing