Register

Michele Scarponi RIP

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

22 Apr 2017 18:47

I woke up this morning to this terrible news. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
User avatar slosada

22 Apr 2017 19:07

I still don't believe it. I just read the news after my training ride. He looked like a great human being to be around. Always with a smile. RIP.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re: Michele Scarponi RIP

22 Apr 2017 19:23

One of the two pro's (Purito was the other) that just the mention of their name or seeing a photo of them would make me smile. I could only say "NOOOOOO!!" when I saw the news. The image of him with his twins the day before is just.... Damn!
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

22 Apr 2017 19:25

Well and truly touched and shaken by the news.
A couple of days ago I punched the sky as you won in tour of alps, happy and content to know that the sport we like/love and follow good guys don't always finish last ! It was pleasure to see all his antics with his family, team mates and off course frankie on Twitter.
He was a great character and will surely be missed, was looking forward to him flying the Astana banner at the giro watching his team work their socks off not just for their leader but also good friend, like he has done to others in the past.
I made sure to give my girls an extra kiss and a squeeze tonight for bedtime.
Knowing that Michele's boys won't have that tonight and ever again is saddening and my thoughts and prayers go out to them and his wife.

Grande Michele !
RIP
User avatar Stilletto

22 Apr 2017 19:33

Don't scroll down on the cnn piece. The pic with anna is too much. :(((
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

22 Apr 2017 19:40

I'm still shocked, probably my 115 km ride with emotional italian songs on my earphones made it just worse. Almost everyday seeing a tweet or some video footage of Scarponi gave a welcome boost to my humour. My alltime favourite Scarpa moment is when Vittorio Brumotti teached him some relatively basic bike jumping skills on a metre-high ramp and Scarpa should copy him afterwards. But instead he climbed off his bike (in the most clownesk way somebody can do that, especially a pro), handed it over to Brumotti and then asked someone to hold his hand while he stepped down that ramp (again like a 87 year old instead of a top fit athlete, hahaha).

Very strange feeling. I don't know what saddens me more: the death of the man himself, or the grief of everybody who loved him or liked him. His kids, his wife, Frankje, his family, his friends, the fellow riders, the fans.... endless tragedy here.
Last edited by Pennino on 22 Apr 2017 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
Pennino

22 Apr 2017 19:41

Everyone that's ridden long enough has lost friends to the road. It's always someone going really well, with a lot to look forward to. So many want to be a pro, or be like them, without it occurring that professionals are exactly like us and that not all of their work takes place under controlled conditions.

Michele was a good professional, yet his charm was his humour and humanity. Today we lost a friend the way many have been lost before - suddenly, stupidly, needlessly on a beautiful sunny Saturday morning.

Best wishes to the Scarponi family.
User avatar Stingray34

22 Apr 2017 19:58

This is incredibly sad, as Stingray says he was such a warm human being.
aphronesis
Veteran

22 Apr 2017 20:35

Sad to hear him go. I read it this morning and didn't believe it. 7 hrs later I still don't. I wish the best to his wife and kids.
User avatar SHAD0W93

22 Apr 2017 21:27

Why.. why Michele?

Life can be so cruel. You will be missed...

Im just gutted. All the best to his wife, kids and otger people close to him.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

22 Apr 2017 22:59

Really bad news. I liked the guy. It's upsetting, but his wife and kids must be in bits.
barmaher

23 Apr 2017 00:06

Kwibus wrote:Why.. why Michele?

Life can be so cruel. You will be missed...

Im just gutted. All the best to his wife, kids and otger people close to him.

Just saw the tragic news. What you wrote are my feelings as well.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

23 Apr 2017 00:10

User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

23 Apr 2017 00:46

I'm gutted....in a way it's been a terrible last month for cyclists. My heart goes out to his family and friends. As an English speaker I didn't always get the full picture of how great his personality was, but I definitely understood the sentiment that he was a greatly liked individual in the peloton. So so so sad... :(

Folks, please be safe out there.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re: Re:

23 Apr 2017 01:08

Velolover2 wrote:This is really heartbreaking. The last picture he posted on Twitter.

I feel weird. I'm always sad when a semi-pro/pro cyclist die in a crash but I don't really know them. When Scarponi died, it was like something died inside of me. Something familiar. He was such an integral part of the World Tour peloton. A peloton I've been following for years.

Anybody feel the same way?

Certainly nothing wrong in that. It's always a terrible thing to hear when a rider's been killed, but the way you come to it and the connection to the rider will always vary. Michele Scarponi has been a rider in such a prominent position in the péloton for so many years now that for many of us he's been almost an everpresent in our cycling fandom, and playing a major role in some of the most memorable stages of our times, and so all of us who follow the sport are aware of him and know his palmarès, his achievements, and so on. That's not to say that it makes his death more sad than, say, Victor Cabedo's or Antoine Demoitié's by any means, but the prominence of Scarponi within the péloton is such that more fans have the opportunity to develop that kind of personal attachment. I really felt Demoitié was a guy who deserved the step up to the top level of Classics...but I could probably quote you Scarponi's whole palmarès and how some of his most dramatic contributions unfurled, right off the top of my head years later; as such the impact of somebody so prominent dying so suddenly will be felt more not because it's sadder but because we've got that greater knowledge of both Michele Scarponi the cyclist and Michele Scarponi the man.

The other thing is how sudden it was, and happening so early in the day as well, so for a lot of us we pretty much woke up to the news, and it was final. It was confirmed very quickly, so there was no chance to adjust to the situation, like there was with, say, Daan Myngheer or Antoine Demoitié; in their cases we knew their condition was critical, so we could steel ourselves for the worst and so when the worst was confirmed we were ready for it, knowing that was the likely outcome but hoping against hope otherwise. With Michele, I went to bed on Friday night with him having been one of the best riders in the Giro's #1 preparation race, and I woke up on Saturday morning with him dead. That's always going to be hard to take.

For me, the one that really hit me the most for the same kind of reasons was Xavier Tondó. The cycling community had already been rocked that month by the very public and shocking death of Wouter Weylandt, but I'd been following Xavi's career for years and desperately hoping he could get a chance at the big time, he finally made it to the top tier at 31 and won his last ever race, and then suddenly I went to check on my lunch break at work to see who was in the break that day at the Giro only to find the headlines were about Tondó having died, and just not being able to comprehend it and needing to take a few minutes outside to compose myself and digest a truth that I simply didn't want to accept. Because it didn't make sense to me, it couldn't be real.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Re: Re:

23 Apr 2017 04:45

Libertine Seguros wrote:[quote="
For me, the one that really hit me the most for the same kind of reasons was Xavier Tondó. The cycling community had already been rocked that month by the very public and shocking death of Wouter Weylandt, but I'd been following Xavi's career for years and desperately hoping he could get a chance at the big time, he finally made it to the top tier at 31 and won his last ever race, and then suddenly I went to check on my lunch break at work to see who was in the break that day at the Giro only to find the headlines were about Tondó having died, and just not being able to comprehend it and needing to take a few minutes outside to compose myself and digest a truth that I simply didn't want to accept. Because it didn't make sense to me, it couldn't be real.

I have to agree with you there. Tondo's passing had the added tragedy of Beñat Intxausti being there to witness the whole incident. I can't imagine what he would have gone through having that all happen right in front of him.

Something like that would stay with you for life. Anna Scarponi possibly feels the same way being able to arrive so soon after the incident.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

23 Apr 2017 06:50

jens_attacks wrote:Don't scroll down on the cnn piece. The pic with anna is too much. :(((

Saw that. Was discussing with some others if it was her. Then saw a screenshot of her crying into his chest :cry: combined with the people on the background looking very upset it was simply too much :(
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

23 Apr 2017 08:03

Just heard the news, that is terrible
del1962
Veteran

23 Apr 2017 09:06

Numbing. So loved by the tifosi. In the words of Davide Cassani: "I wish I could say...Eh Michele, no, no Michele, don't go out on your bike today." Che ti sia lieve la terra, ex ragazzo di Filottrano.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

23 Apr 2017 09:25

I have thought about it the whole day yesterday. Totally unfair that such a lovable person goes so early. You can see by the reactions what kind of respect Scarponi had in the peloton. Just saw the image of Gasparotto crying at the start today, heartbreaking.. My thoughts go to his family and friends. RIP Scarpa.
Ikbengodniet

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing