Register

Michele Scarponi RIP

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

23 Apr 2017 10:51

Really touching pictures from the startline of L-B-L of Fuglsang and Grivko crying. It is still really hard to fathom.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

23 Apr 2017 13:41

So terribly sad; so terribly sudden and unexpected
Ariane

23 Apr 2017 14:13

Extremely sad news, still can't get over it :(
RIP Michele. You gave us great memories.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best

23 Apr 2017 16:32

Heartbreaking news. Dear Michele Scarponi. Such a lovable and familiar one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt0aTHUKHb8
Atwood

23 Apr 2017 19:55

:( :( :(
User avatar DNP-Old

Re: Michele Scarponi RIP

23 Apr 2017 20:08

How heartbreaking is that picture?!
Max Rockatansky

Re: Re:

23 Apr 2017 20:30

Libertine Seguros wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:This is really heartbreaking. The last picture he posted on Twitter.

I feel weird. I'm always sad when a semi-pro/pro cyclist die in a crash but I don't really know them. When Scarponi died, it was like something died inside of me. Something familiar. He was such an integral part of the World Tour peloton. A peloton I've been following for years.

Anybody feel the same way?
absolutely the same. So difficult not to keep thinking about him.

Certainly nothing wrong in that. It's always a terrible thing to hear when a rider's been killed, but the way you come to it and the connection to the rider will always vary. Michele Scarponi has been a rider in such a prominent position in the péloton for so many years now that for many of us he's been almost an everpresent in our cycling fandom, and playing a major role in some of the most memorable stages of our times, and so all of us who follow the sport are aware of him and know his palmarès, his achievements, and so on. That's not to say that it makes his death more sad than, say, Victor Cabedo's or Antoine Demoitié's by any means, but the prominence of Scarponi within the péloton is such that more fans have the opportunity to develop that kind of personal attachment. I really felt Demoitié was a guy who deserved the step up to the top level of Classics...but I could probably quote you Scarponi's whole palmarès and how some of his most dramatic contributions unfurled, right off the top of my head years later; as such the impact of somebody so prominent dying so suddenly will be felt more not because it's sadder but because we've got that greater knowledge of both Michele Scarponi the cyclist and Michele Scarponi the man.

The other thing is how sudden it was, and happening so early in the day as well, so for a lot of us we pretty much woke up to the news, and it was final. It was confirmed very quickly, so there was no chance to adjust to the situation, like there was with, say, Daan Myngheer or Antoine Demoitié; in their cases we knew their condition was critical, so we could steel ourselves for the worst and so when the worst was confirmed we were ready for it, knowing that was the likely outcome but hoping against hope otherwise. With Michele, I went to bed on Friday night with him having been one of the best riders in the Giro's #1 preparation race, and I woke up on Saturday morning with him dead. That's always going to be hard to

For me, the one that really hit me the most for the same kind of reasons was Xavier Tondó. The cycling community had already been rocked that month by the very public and shocking death of Wouter Weylandt, but I'd been following Xavi's career for years and desperately hoping he could get a chance at the big time, he finally made it to the top tier at 31 and won his last ever race, and then suddenly I went to check on my lunch break at work to see who was in the break that day at the Giro only to find the headlines were about Tondó having died, and just not being able to comprehend it and needing to take a few minutes outside to compose myself and digest a truth that I simply didn't want to accept. Because it didn't make sense to me, it couldn't be real.[/

Agree with everything you say. Such a Feeling of disbelief reading the news about Michele. I even tried to think if it was April 1st and someone was making an incredibly cruel Joke. I just didn't want it to be true.
I still have a lump in my throat or tears every time I think of Xabi Tondo. His struggle to get to the top, his unfulfilled dreams and the incredibly senseless nature of his death as well as his lovely smile. I am certain it will be the same when I think of Michele.
They were very similar in lots of ways, happy, fun loving ,so full of life and passionate about cycling and living and loved by fans and colleagues alike.
My thoughts now are with Michele's wife and two beautiful little boys, family ,friends and team.
User avatar mariposa

Re:

23 Apr 2017 20:52

DNP-Old wrote:Image

:( :( :(

Frankie perched on the sign :( :(
I'll be missing Michele Scarponi and thinking of him for a long time. As they say, sometimes you don't realize how much someone means to you until they are gone. And I can't believe he's gone - like Frankie, I'll be looking for him.
Atwood

23 Apr 2017 21:02

Frankje paying tribute :cry:
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

23 Apr 2017 21:24

That's photoshopped right.. :( :(
Ikbengodniet

23 Apr 2017 21:52

that picture is devastating :(
User avatar zlev11

23 Apr 2017 22:04

Alejandro dedicating LBL win to Michele and all his winnings to Michele's family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgJhlel4ilk

Frankie photoshopped ? Ah no, let me believe not :)
Atwood

24 Apr 2017 07:39

Ikbengodniet wrote:That's photoshopped right.. :( :(

I think Franky's owner brought him there to take the picture. Franky has his own FB page

https://it-it.facebook.com/Franky-il-famoso-pappagallo-libero-129015597442090/
saganist

24 Apr 2017 09:00

saganist wrote:
Ikbengodniet wrote:That's photoshopped right.. :( :(

I think Franky's owner brought him there to take the picture. Franky has his own FB page

https://it-it.facebook.com/Franky-il-famoso-pappagallo-libero-129015597442090/

It's a beautiful photo, I refuse to believe it was photoshopped
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

24 Apr 2017 09:45

It was not, it was a nice gesture by the owner of frankje.
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

24 Apr 2017 10:12

http://www.sportfair.it/2017/04/michele-scarponi-il-racconto-shock-di-un-testimone-ho-visto-lautista-dopo-lo-schianto-era-disperato/532438/

Somehow reading these kind of background information does good. A witness saw the driver of the vehicle (who knew Scarponi, by the way) smashing his head violently against a wall, immediately after the tragedy. "I'm dead also", he screamed. What a tragedy.

By the way, Frankje got threatened in the beginning of April, for some damages she would have made. ("No more damage or otherwise someone will take her down by old methods...") Hes owner has since kept her mostly in her cage. :sad:
Pennino

24 Apr 2017 11:11

This video would suggest the driver turned into the side road without seeing the oncoming Scarponi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA_efgfyBi4

More needs to be done imo to ensure drivers are conscious of cyclists and give right of way

The number of training crashes seems to be growing

The othere major issue is a vehicle turning left in the UK , right in Europe and not leaving enough space or taking due care so the cyclists on the inside is not effected ....

These two maneuvers I think are responsible for a lot of cyclist fatalities
HelloDolly

Re:

24 Apr 2017 11:28

HelloDolly wrote:This video would suggest the driver turned into the side road without seeing the oncoming Scarponi.

More needs to be done imo to ensure drivers are conscious of cyclists and give right of way

The othere major issue is a vehicle turning left in the UK , right in Europe and not leaving enough space or taking due care so the cyclists on the inside is not effected ....

Yes, this is exactly what I thought when I saw the crossroads and which side of the van was damaged. Unfortunately, this is one of the most common cause for car-cycle collision :( .

It happened to me once, I got very lucky because I somewhat flew over the car and just got a minor collarbone fracture... Ever since then, I start to put my fingers over the breaks as soon as I see a car coming towards me with an intent to turn left.

Take care on the roads people :( .
User avatar TommyGun

Re: Re:

24 Apr 2017 11:56

TommyGun wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:This video would suggest the driver turned into the side road without seeing the oncoming Scarponi.

Yes, this is exactly what I thought when I saw the crossroads and which side of the van was damaged. Unfortunately, this is one of the most common cause for car-cycle collision :( .

It happened to me once, I got very lucky because I somewhat flew over the car and just got a minor collarbone fracture... Ever since then, I start to put my fingers over the breaks as soon as I see a car coming towards me with an intent to turn left.

Take care on the roads people :( .

Yes a major reason for the deaths I have seen on the roads

But the real problem is when the driver does not indicate their intent to turn on to a side road ....Many a time i have had to brake when a driver just tore across the road and gave no indication ...I was going relatively slowly but pros would be going very fast
HelloDolly

Re:

24 Apr 2017 15:47

the video make it looks like the road was downhill for the van which is wrong, it was the other way around. Michele was coming downhill (probably pretty fast :(( ) Tragic situtation also for the driver, i don't know if he really could have seen michele even if he wasn't blinded by the sun. Not much time if someone comes fast from that road..
Of course there are many nutters (even killers) car drivers but the road infrastructure remember unfortuantely doesn't help the cyclists (and the drivers at all). i've read that in the same crossroad another cyclist was injured some time ago...

Michele's father said the he knows well giuseppe the driver (i'm sure he knew michele too) and he thinks about him too. a tragedy for so many people...
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing