Register

2017 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

02 May 2017 19:45

spiritualride wrote:
Forever The Best wrote:Oropa, Valdengo and Piancavallo stages are pathetic.
The Ortisei and Asiago stages could have been much much better as well. And isn't there enough room for a finish at the top of Blockhaus?

1. Great preview post! Kudos!

2. I personally think this route is awesome expect for Unoropapublico... ...yes lots of new translations of classic climbs. But i love ortesei, dolomites, foza and etna/blockhaus. I Think this will be an amazing
TromleTromle

02 May 2017 19:59

Yeah, the plateau after Foza is pretty awesome actually.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

02 May 2017 20:02

Yeah it's definitely interesting. I just wished they'd a harder side of the Monte Grappa
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

02 May 2017 20:10

spiritualride wrote:
The Ortisei and Asiago stages could have been much much better as well. And isn't there enough room for a finish at the top of Blockhaus?

What's wrong with the Valdengo stage 15? If there were no MTFs then this one could have potentially had good GC action. Also stages 18 and 20 (Ortisei and Asiago) I wonder what they should have done differently.

Maybe on stage 18, not have that last lap of Ortisei and instead finish at 103km would be better I think. I like the 15 extra km on stage 20 after the Foza climb. The typical MTF watt/kg slugfest that decides grand tours is really bland... wish there were more GC relevant stages that weren't MTFs like stage 20.

For stage 20, a harder side for Grappa.

For stage 18, here's one possibility:
San Pellegrino, Duran, Staulanza, Fedaia, Sella.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

02 May 2017 20:33

Somebody needs to say it, and if Libertine won't, I will.

Fedaia (FEDAIAAAAAA!!!!!)

Such a better stage
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

02 May 2017 20:48

2,5 daaaaays.

Mayo, are we gonna climb Fedaia? :D
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

02 May 2017 21:18

Valv.Piti wrote:2,5 daaaaays.

Mayo, are we gonna climb Fedaia? :D

Let's see. we'd need to change things up a bit, but it's doable. The traffic around the Sella group can be a bit too muc durning the summer, usually its better to climb Fedaia in the late spring/eary autumn.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

03 May 2017 00:46

Netserk wrote:
spiritualride wrote:

What's wrong with the Valdengo stage 15? If there were no MTFs then this one could have potentially had good GC action. Also stages 18 and 20 (Ortisei and Asiago) I wonder what they should have done differently.

Maybe on stage 18, not have that last lap of Ortisei and instead finish at 103km would be better I think. I like the 15 extra km on stage 20 after the Foza climb. The typical MTF watt/kg slugfest that decides grand tours is really bland... wish there were more GC relevant stages that weren't MTFs like stage 20.

So do you want to kill the riders?

Maybe not kill them, but that is way too much. IMHO.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

03 May 2017 06:07

nah only 140 km. We had stuff like that already.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

03 May 2017 07:03

Great Stuff Eshnar :)
Somehow I don't seem as disappointed as when the route was announced, Probably because at the time I was expecting fedaia to be there :(.
I'll be seeing the etna stage live, anyone know whether it will be ok cycling up the east side (from Zafferana Etnea)?
motty89

Re:

03 May 2017 07:07

motty89 wrote:Great Stuff Eshnar :)
Somehow I don't seem as disappointed as when the route was announced, Probably because at the time I was expecting fedaia to be there :(.
I'll be seeing the etna stage live, anyone know whether it will be ok cycling up the east side (from Zafferana Etnea)?

it should be open (but can't confirm, sorry), but I hope you are in shape because that's a hell of a climb...
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re:

03 May 2017 08:17

motty89 wrote:Great Stuff Eshnar :)

Check with local authorities the day before. That side should be open up to the point where it meets the road climbed by the riders. Tough climb, road was in perfect conditions 6 months ago.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

03 May 2017 09:45

Escarabajo wrote:
Netserk wrote:
spiritualride wrote:

So do you want to kill the riders?

Maybe not kill them, but that is way too much. IMHO.

So you want the Bormio stage cancelled as well? The Dolomites stage last year should have been cancelled as well?

Both are far harder than this design.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

03 May 2017 10:07

I stopped reading feltet.dk's route analysis since he wrote it had become a much better race when Zomegnan was fired, despite the next 3 eidtions (12-14) being much worse than TdF.

Apparantly, the Giro had become more about survival than actual racing. That explains the lame racing in 2010 and 2011 (where the field also was bad since it were way too hard routes.......................). Lawl. Prison sentence, thanks-

Sometimes, sometimes..... I suppose the story need to continue. I sometimes wonder if these guys watch cycling.

Edit: Ok, Im actually angry. Why. Why does the media need to do this? Its the same **** all over the place.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

03 May 2017 10:21

In what universe was the 2012 Giro worse than the 2012 Tour?

And I think the guy who wrote that watches more cycling than everyone. It's completely insane how much time he spends on watching, live-updating and wrtiting about cycling. When that is said, I will agree that he often gets an idea, repeats it an infinite number of times and then states it as fact for the remainder of all time.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

03 May 2017 10:39

tobydawq wrote:In what universe was the 2012 Giro worse than the 2012 Tour?

And I think the guy who wrote that watches more cycling than everyone. It's completely insane how much time he spends on watching, live-updating and wrtiting about cycling. When that is said, I will agree that he often gets an idea, repeats it an infinite number of times and then states it as fact for the remainder of all time.

Well both were arguably the worst 2 GT's in recent memory, shame they happened in the same year. It's basically Stelvio stage vs Froome/Wiggins drama. I'm much more optimistic for this Giro though.
deValtos

03 May 2017 10:46

Well, but in the Giro it was quite exciting what would happen and there were some very entertaining highlights such as Rabottini's magnificent beating of Purito and de Gendt's near-steal of the whole race on Stelvio. Also, the final victory margin was very small and the race went down to the wire and the winner was completely unpredictable before the race.

In the Tour, it was a foregone conclusion that Wiggins would win and it was only the debut of Sagan in the race and his marvellous exploits that kept me interested.

Also, the 2012 Giro is the only Grand Tour I have had the opportunity to experience, since it began here in Denmark and even had a stage start and finish in my hometown. So that will always make it special for me, personally, but notwithstanding that, i don't think it was that bad...
User avatar tobydawq

03 May 2017 10:53

Taking 12-14 Giro and 12-14 Tour, I defo think the Tour wins. These years in the Giro were pretty horrible.

He does, its insanity. Extensive reviews of the likes of Malaysia and other obscure races, I dont think he doesn't anything else. But I don't think that makes his opinion on this matter anymore right than a normal person watching the Giro
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

03 May 2017 11:02

Valv.Piti wrote:Taking 12-14 Giro and 12-14 Tour, I defo think the Tour wins. These years in the Giro were pretty horrible.

He does, its insanity. Extensive reviews of the likes of Malaysia and other obscure races, I dont think he doesn't anything else. But I don't think that makes his opinion on this matter anymore right than a normal person watching the Giro

Agreed. It also annoys me how he states very many things as facts when they clearly aren't (just like your example). But I can tell you that he is one of the brightest minds in Denmark with the highest average grade in the country when he finished gymnasiet and a subsequent straight-A run to a PhD in mathematics. It's possible that that has made him think quite highly of himself :p

And regarding the 2012-2014 Giri: I have never really thought of them as being particularly bad. Only the 2014 one because it was decided by a freak-show with a combination of certain riders and lousy commissaires on a stage that shouldn't have counted.
User avatar tobydawq

03 May 2017 11:54

In '12 the Giro was a slightly disappointing one week race, whereas the Tour was no race at all.
In 2013 both had good routes, but the Tour was over after the first mountain stage, and the Giro seemed like it wasn't but there was never a real battle for the overall either. It was a shame for the race that Evans was so bad and Wiggins was what he was that year. Think it's about equal, though I liked the Giro result more.

For 2014, both were decided in a relatively anticlimactic fashion. Tour saw crashes. Giro har the better battle for the overall most definitely, but to me the cobbled stage was the best of that GT year. Tour had a great race for 2nd place. Think they're pretty equal.

In all 3 years, the Vuelta was definitely the GT that stuck out.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing