Register

Transfers and Rumours 2017 > 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

28 May 2017 10:41

Any news about Hirt? He is too good for PCT.
Velolover2

Re:

29 May 2017 00:23

Velolover2 wrote:Any news about Hirt? He is too good for PCT.

He is not that young, but considering this was his first GT, he did pretty well and other than the one day crisis on Etna where he lost 5min, he could have been in the top10.

CCC needs to keep him in order to get more GT invites. Overall CCC did pretty good job and were visible the whole 3 weeks ... maybe its only the orange jerseys :D
User avatar Jancouver

Re:

30 May 2017 10:07

Velolover2 wrote:Any news about Hirt? He is too good for PCT.

There was an interview with him in czech news and he said he already got multiple World Tour offers. He will take a few days to think about it. I can't see him staying in CCC.
Lance Armstrong

30 May 2017 13:50

He should though and try to fulfill some kinda “Rasmussen of the Giro“ role in 2018. But that's wrong with the world tour. He probably signs elsewhere for a bigger paycheck and becomes a random rider on their squad.
User avatar staubsauger

31 May 2017 08:13

Hirt the next Roglic
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

31 May 2017 10:22

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Hirt the next Roglic

Hirt is more of a pure climber.
The guy has always been a beast in the high mountains (remember Rettenbachferner 2015?), but it's great to see that he did so well in his first gt. If they get another wildcard one more year at CCC wouldn't be the worst option.
User avatar Mayomaniac

31 May 2017 13:27

Problem is that CCC aren't a team like Direct Energie or Cofidis that can absolutely guarantee a GT invite and they also don't have the budget to pay a significantly increased salary. He will likely be a well compensated mountain dom on a WT team next year.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

31 May 2017 15:45

I thought that CCC increased their sponsorship a few years ago to a decent level. Their paychecks shouldn't be much lower than the ones from LottoNL and Lampre imho!
User avatar staubsauger

Re:

31 May 2017 15:59

staubsauger wrote:I thought that CCC increased their sponsorship a few years ago to a decent level. Their paychecks shouldn't be much lower than the ones from LottoNL and Lampre imho!

I thought the same, but last year they didn't resign De La Parte, so who knows?
It's not like they have many guys who earn a lot, but a team with Hirt, Grossschartner and Schlegel for the mountain stages (all of them have now finished their first gt) could be really fun and with Hirt's performance amother wildcard should be almost guaranteed.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re: Re:

31 May 2017 16:31

Mayomaniac wrote:
staubsauger wrote:I thought that CCC increased their sponsorship a few years ago to a decent level. Their paychecks shouldn't be much lower than the ones from LottoNL and Lampre imho!

I thought the same, but last year they didn't resign De La Parte, so who knows?
It's not like they have many guys who earn a lot, but a team with Hirt, Grossschartner and Schlegel for the mountain stages (all of them have now finished their first gt) could be really fun and with Hirt's performance amother wildcard should be almost guaranteed.

Neither Grosschartner nor Schlegel looked much fun this Giro. Of course they can improve but it's unsure.

I think paychecks in CCC are very low compared to WT teams, at least most of them. It's hard life as a member of procontinental team at WT level, WT riders let you know that you are lesser form of life, so...
Kokoso

31 May 2017 18:15

Cofidis and Direct Energie are, as far as I know, the only PCT teams with wage budgets competitive with the smallest WT teams. Cofidis being notorious overspenders supposedly pay their team of not very notable riders more than the runts of the WT litter. But the rest are well behind the WT in budge terms.

PCT teams are really very weak in this period, having been stripped of their best riders by a combination of the points system and escalating WT budgets driven by non commercial sponsors (rich man's toy teams and quasi national teams). A few years ago a rider like Hirt could make a splash at a GT and then the PCT outfit would try to hold onto him as their marquee leader. Nowadays anyone who shows high level ability at any discipline gets snapped up instantly. The exceptions are nearly always sprinters, basically because the talent pool is very deep at the moment and there isn't enough room at WT teams for all the second and third tier fast men. Also sprinters are a good investment for teams that will be riding a lot of lower level races, so if a PCT team can pay one rider well a sprinter makes sense.

I suspect that more than one WT team will offer him more than twice what CCC can offer and he will jump at it. Hopefully he goes somewhere where he can ride for his own chance at least sometimes.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

31 May 2017 19:25

Belgian Lotto have a very few pure climbers. Valls hasn't been very impressive since his win in Oman.

Maybe that is a good place for Hirt? Could even get a chance to lead in a Grand Tour like the Vuelta.
WheelofGear

Re:

31 May 2017 19:31

Zinoviev Letter wrote:I suspect that more than one WT team will offer him more than twice what CCC can offer and he will jump at it. Hopefully he goes somewhere where he can ride for his own chance at least sometimes.

Well that will probably turn out true. Rest depends on how he will do...he has some reserves I believe, at least in time trials which he wasn't training until now. He needs to work on it with someone, at CCC he didn't have much chances. In WT I believe most have their TT bike.
Kokoso

01 Jun 2017 02:02

I can imagine Hirt going to Bora to replace Konig or Konrad. He can also help Majka. They do need another climber and he can be an outright leader for Giro or Vuelta.
User avatar Jancouver

Re:

01 Jun 2017 05:40

Jancouver wrote:I can imagine Hirt going to Bora to replace Konig or Konrad. He can also help Majka. They do need another climber and he can be an outright leader for Giro or Vuelta.

Konig stays at Bora until 2019. he signed a 3 year deal
pastronef

Re:

01 Jun 2017 07:50

WheelofGear wrote:Belgian Lotto have a very few pure climbers. Valls hasn't been very impressive since his win in Oman.

Maybe that is a good place for Hirt? Could even get a chance to lead in a Grand Tour like the Vuelta.

in theory you're right but with the exception of Evans I can't recall much non belgian climbers having a good result at Lotto, maybe Peraud but that's it...which is a pity though...
User avatar Lexman

Re:

01 Jun 2017 08:21

WheelofGear wrote:Belgian Lotto have a very few pure climbers. Valls hasn't been very impressive since his win in Oman.

Belgian Lotto probably betting on their world class climbers espoirs generation. Not very helpful in Grand Tours for the next year, but for the longer term the better option.
janraaskalt

01 Jun 2017 10:09

HLN.be just said that Kristoff might join Astana next year, since he isn't very happy with the critism he got from them.
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re: Transfers and Rumours 2017 > 2018

01 Jun 2017 11:08

Hirt will be a mountain domestique, i guess. So who needs those? Bahrein and Sunweb come to mind, certainly others as well.
User avatar fauniera

Re:

01 Jun 2017 13:24

GenericBoonenFan wrote:HLN.be just said that Kristoff might join Astana next year, since he isn't very happy with the critism he got from them.

Sky have also shown interest in the past and could offer much stronger support.
MatParker117

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing