Register

Transfers and Rumours 2017 > 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re:

06 Dec 2017 14:33

capuldemetal wrote:http://www.zikloland.com/equipo-lizarte-nicolas-saenz-2018-hirumet/

Can't be arsed to atleast say what it's about?
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re: Re:

06 Dec 2017 15:11

GenericBoonenFan wrote:
capuldemetal wrote:http://www.zikloland.com/equipo-lizarte-nicolas-saenz-2018-hirumet/

given my health status i can hardly write.but here goes nothing.movistar feeder signs an 21 ,51 kilo colombian rider.seems he is quite talented.
capuldemetal

06 Dec 2017 15:41

capuldemetal wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:

given my health status i can hardly write.but here goes nothing.movistar feeder signs an 21 ,51 kilo colombian rider.seems he is quite talented.

apologies, I guess
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.

06 Dec 2017 15:48

Novo Nordisk had no confirmed sponsorship for 2018 until late in the piece - My guess is the 5 signed riders already had a contract for 2018 - I understand the team serves a noble cause but surely they should be at CT level.
yaco

Re:

06 Dec 2017 18:57

yaco wrote:Novo Nordisk had no confirmed sponsorship for 2018 until late in the piece - My guess is the 5 signed riders already had a contract for 2018 - I understand the team serves a noble cause but surely they should be at CT level.

Why? They get invites to some races they wouldn't get into if they were CT, they get their jersey on the television and their sponsor's name and all the stuff about diabetes said by commentators. That's why they exist. They don't have the sporting level of most other PCT teams, but they don't really need to.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

06 Dec 2017 19:04

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
yaco wrote:Novo Nordisk had no confirmed sponsorship for 2018 until late in the piece - My guess is the 5 signed riders already had a contract for 2018 - I understand the team serves a noble cause but surely they should be at CT level.

Why? They get invites to some races they wouldn't get into if they were CT, they get their jersey on the television and their sponsor's name and all the stuff about diabetes said by commentators. That's why they exist. They don't have the sporting level of most other PCT teams, but they don't really need to.

The team has won one race since they become a PC team - They could be a CT and still get a number of important invites for the sponsor to be happy.
yaco

06 Dec 2017 19:10

yaco wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:

The team has won one race since they become a PC team - They could be a CT and still get a number of important invites for the sponsor to be happy.

You are still treating them as if they are a team with a sponsor that demands results. Winning a race or two is just a nice bonus for them. Appearing in big races and televised races generally is what they have to do to fulfil their purpose and being PCT facilitates that.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re: Transfers and Rumours 2017 > 2018

07 Dec 2017 07:03

well, that's not quite what Sunderland said at the beginning of the season though

“We are in a contract year and we have to get results,” Southerland said regarding the team’s final year of the five-year deal with naming sponsor Novo Nordisk, a multinational pharmaceutical company specializing in diabetes management. “The priority is not on putting riders in the break and being in the top 10, we need visible results this year.”

Sure, in the end they still got a new contract with the sponsor - but it came with significantly less money, so the team won't be able to run a calendar similar as in past years anymore, and their best riders have chosen to retire instead.
User avatar search

07 Dec 2017 14:21

search wrote:well, that's not quite what Sunderland said at the beginning of the season though

“We are in a contract year and we have to get results,” Southerland said regarding the team’s final year of the five-year deal with naming sponsor Novo Nordisk, a multinational pharmaceutical company specializing in diabetes management. “The priority is not on putting riders in the break and being in the top 10, we need visible results this year.”

Sure, in the end they still got a new contract with the sponsor - but it came with significantly less money, so the team won't be able to run a calendar similar as in past years anymore, and their best riders have chosen to retire instead.

If their sponsor has decided they want results, they are screwed and the sponsor is on the way out. There simply isn't a big enough pool of type 1 diabetics to draw from and there's nothing they can do to change that other than hope for an outlier talent to drop in their laps.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

07 Dec 2017 15:18

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
search wrote:well, that's not quite what Sunderland said at the beginning of the season though

If their sponsor has decided they want results, they are screwed and the sponsor is on the way out. There simply isn't a big enough pool of type 1 diabetics to draw from and there's nothing they can do to change that other than hope for an outlier talent to drop in their laps.

Hence, why dropping to a CT team will provide their riders with a more suitable calendar.
yaco

07 Dec 2017 23:24

yaco wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:

Hence, why dropping to a CT team will provide their riders with a more suitable calendar.

Fair enough. My response was based on an assumption that their sponsors must know that regular wins aren't possible, given the narrow pool of athletes they can draw from, and so their current model must be something they are happy to back.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re:

15 Dec 2017 20:16

Velolover2 wrote:I'm starting to think that Rebellin is immortal.

Rehabilitated on RadioCorsa last night
amid all the talk of CF's positive.
http://www.raisport.rai.it/dl/raiSport/media/Radiocorsa-bb6707ef-8919-4f56-bf8c-a653983e8b44.html
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

19 Dec 2017 12:22

Will anyone be interested in Lobato now?
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

19 Dec 2017 15:10

Unless there are unreported underlying issues then Lobato should find a WT team - Of course there are the two new Spanish PCT's.
yaco

20 Dec 2017 10:21

Der Effe

20 Dec 2017 17:52

Tom Pidcock (racing CX with Telenet-Fidea) will race on the road in 2018 with Team Wiggins. nice to know and it means Team Wiggins goes on in 2018
pastronef

20 Dec 2017 19:32

pastronef wrote:Tom Pidcock (racing CX with Telenet-Fidea) will race on the road in 2018 with Team Wiggins. nice to know and it means Team Wiggins goes on in 2018

And Tom, himself goes on to win, with any luck. Looking forward to seeing him on the road.
sprints n stones

21 Dec 2017 16:54

Moreno-Martinez and Cardona official announced today.
EF drapac up to 25 riders. Full squad?

21 Dec 2017 18:19

Zinoviev Letter wrote:

After returning from suspension, Chris Froome will announce he was recently diagnosed as a life long type 1 diabetic and find a spot at PC level.
User avatar spetsa

Re:

21 Dec 2017 20:45

GenericBoonenFan wrote:Moreno-Martinez and Cardona official announced today.
EF drapac up to 25 riders. Full squad?

The downsized team will be “25 or 26” riders, Vaughters predicts

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/jonathan-vaughters-reveals-bold-decisions-made-save-cannondale-drapac-team-360732#VAdYRE68qM5eehZ1.99

So not sure if they'll add a 26th rider or not.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing