Log in:  

Register

Giro 2017, stage 11: Ponte a Ema – Bagno di Romagna 161 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

17 May 2017 15:56

I recall Fraile doing some crazy things like outsprinting GC men on a hilltop finish for KOM points after being in a breakaway on last year's Vuelta. If there was one man in the peloton I would expect to do something like he did today, it's him.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis
Member
 
Posts: 1,598
Joined: 10 May 2013 20:16

Re: Re:

17 May 2017 16:04

HelloDolly wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:So hopefully now we wont have pages of Landa adoration ...I said this morning Faile looked stronger and he did

What a great ride and what a great rider

*Adoring Landa which apparently pisses HelloDolly off*

Aupa Mikel!!


I think Landa is a great climber but today he did not ride a wise race

But on here we get ...he is going to beat everyone, he is just stretching his legs, he is just testing himself for next week, he will drop Fraile, etc etc......it is annoying and uncalled for... Landa is not a demi God about to beat everyone every time he sticks his nose in the wind....far from it

But my opposition is not to Landa who is a nice guy but to the posters who constantly over hype him ... maybe you can understand the difference ?

Landa still just had a crash and a swollen leg 3 days ago. Still, he already was on the attack today and scored some points as a potential base for the blue jersey. If he's back in shape for the Alps Fraile & Polanc won't be anywhere near him on the cols.

Foliforov, Hirt & Dombrowski still have been nowhere so far. What's their excuse? At least Landa's got some points to build up on IF he's able to fly in the Alps!
User avatar staubsauger
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,796
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

Re: Re:

17 May 2017 16:21

Koba80 wrote:
BlackWhiteEagle wrote:Just came home and have to go in 5 min. Could somebody sum up the stare really quick for me :)?


The stage began.
At some point before this TD lost all his teammates.
Every rider had an attempt at being in the breakaway.
Except anyone in Canondale kit.

The road began to go uphill.
The Forum, with the exception of Hello_Dolly, became united in the belief that Landa is in fact the lovechild of Pantani and Chiapucci.
The fireworks continued, threatening a stage so good Contador fanboys would later believe he was the only rider in it.

Boonen ate some cakes somehow and surprisingly not consumed already by Betancur.

Then Gigs tuned in and nothing happened for a long, long time.
He went for a minute, someone crashed, and Movistars started fighting on the side of the road.
TJ decided he wanted to see if it's possible to attach a reverse gear to a push bike.

Pinot attacked to see if he could start a decent with enough of an advantage to remain a contender on GC (next year's). Geraint dropped. Deignan had to give up his GC to help his team leader, or some other such tactical nonsense.

Fraile was a beast in the finale.


C'est magnifique!! Bravissimo!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar huangho
Member
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 07 Feb 2015 14:17

Re: Re:

17 May 2017 16:23

staubsauger wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:So hopefully now we wont have pages of Landa adoration ...I said this morning Faile looked stronger and he did

What a great ride and what a great rider

*Adoring Landa which apparently pisses HelloDolly off*

Aupa Mikel!!


I think Landa is a great climber but today he did not ride a wise race

But on here we get ...he is going to beat everyone, he is just stretching his legs, he is just testing himself for next week, he will drop Fraile, etc etc......it is annoying and uncalled for... Landa is not a demi God about to beat everyone every time he sticks his nose in the wind....far from it

But my opposition is not to Landa who is a nice guy but to the posters who constantly over hype him ... maybe you can understand the difference ?

Landa still just had a crash and a swollen leg 3 days ago. Still, he already was on the attack today and scored some points as a potential base for the blue jersey. If he's back in shape for the Alps Fraile & Polanc won't be anywhere near him on the cols.

Foliforov, Hirt & Dombrowski still have been nowhere so far. What's their excuse? At least Landa's got some points to build up on IF he's able to fly in the Alps!


Oh you mean when Landa let Fraile take the KOM mountain points today ?

So now he is going for KOM and is measured against Foliforov, Hirt & Dombrowski...hardly Pantani-esque

As I said my point is not about the rider but about the posters with the ludicrous ascertains that he is going to make mince meat of everyone else all the time
HelloDolly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,801
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 00:12
Location: Birmingham

17 May 2017 16:26

Anyone got replays from the last climb?
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,894
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: Giro 2017, stage 11: Ponte a Ema – Bagno di Romagna 161

17 May 2017 17:01

There's always a bane to Pierre Rolland. Funny, that hadn't it been Omar, it would've been Costa. Again. :D

Great win, seemed like a good finale. Only tuned in for the descent.
''The battle between Démare and Bouhanni for being France's best sprinter is decided: it's Coquard.'' - BBB
User avatar BigMac
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,340
Joined: 10 Jun 2013 22:10
Location: Estoril, Portugal

17 May 2017 17:02

Insane win by Fraile! What a win!

Laurens de Plus is surely also something to pat attention to, he also rode brilliantly. Kruijswijk, on the other hand... disappointing.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,384
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

17 May 2017 17:24

I think we can stop expecting things from SK this Giro. Indeed disappointing, but we saw it coming. Just not there this year
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 22,187
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

17 May 2017 17:29

I'm happy how things are going for Kangert. Managed to get back some of the time he lost yesterday because of a bad TT for his standards. 8th place and only 3 seconds between him and Jungles. If he stays consistent and avoids bad days then a very good result is possible.
RattaKuningas
Member
 
Posts: 820
Joined: 20 May 2016 05:24

17 May 2017 17:47

Apart from SK and GT I think Mollema was a bit in difficulty when Nibali accelerated.
TD didn't look particularly sharp, mouth open and heavy breathing, but maybe that was just an impression.
Yates didn't look brilliant either.

Anyway big chapeau for Fraile, impressive and very well deserved.
User avatar Climbing
Member
 
Posts: 1,334
Joined: 08 Jun 2010 08:18

17 May 2017 17:49

Monfort two consecutive top-10s.
The end times are nigh.
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,156
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

Re:

17 May 2017 18:23

Climbing wrote:Apart from SK and GT I think Mollema was a bit in difficulty when Nibali accelerated.
TD didn't look particularly sharp, mouth open and heavy breathing, but maybe that was just an impression.
Yates didn't look brilliant either.

Anyway big chapeau for Fraile, impressive and very well deserved.


Who looked great then? :D
WheelofGear
Member
 
Posts: 1,372
Joined: 13 May 2015 06:46

17 May 2017 18:28

Is it just me or is Dumoulin actually better on the very steep climbs (at 9%+ like Blockhaus) than the hard but not brutal climbs (at 7-8% like Oropa)?

He is an odd rider. I actually think Quintana will be able to do better on Oropa than Blockhaus.
WheelofGear
Member
 
Posts: 1,372
Joined: 13 May 2015 06:46

17 May 2017 18:32

Damn the next 4 stages are underwhelming. After 4 days of good racing, we can expect a couple of very dull ones. Even Oropa and Bergamo are flat for the most part.... they could definitely have done a better job there.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,384
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

17 May 2017 18:33

WheelofGear wrote:Is it just me or is Dumoulin actually better on the very steep climbs (at 9%+ like Blockhaus) than the hard but not brutal climbs (at 7-8% like Oropa)?

He is an odd rider. I actually think Quintana will be able to do better on Oropa than Blockhaus.

A bit like a Dutch Mauri Melcior.
Yeah, the Oropa stage should be longer or have another climb at the start and the Lombardia stage should be a proper Lombardia stage.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,609
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

Re:

17 May 2017 18:35

Valv.Piti wrote:Damn the next 4 stages are underwhelming. After 4 days of good racing, we can expect a couple of very dull ones. Even Oropa and Bergamo are flat for the most part.... they could definitely have done a better job there.

Bergamo has the potential if a guy like Nibali (or someone else) wants to test his legs.

Oropa is Richie Porte's wet dream which mean it's boring. :D
WheelofGear
Member
 
Posts: 1,372
Joined: 13 May 2015 06:46

17 May 2017 18:43

Freire well and truly the best rider today - Out with Landa for half the stage and he still sprints for victory - Awesome ride.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,184
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: Giro 2017, stage 11: Ponte a Ema – Bagno di Romagna 161

17 May 2017 18:50

Gigs_98 wrote:Is Orica defending Yates gc position? :lol:


A bizarre move - Nothing to be gained because Yates was safely in the pink jersey group - Plaza should have been allowed to go for the stage - After all Plaza carried the pink jersey group for the last 8km - Anyway Yates should have been in the break - Poor day for Orica.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,184
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re:

17 May 2017 18:52

Singer01 wrote:Thomas could have lost a lot more, couple of days to recover now, i can't believe people think deignan shouldn't be called back.


Of course Deignan should have been called back when Thomas is off the back of the Pink Jersey group.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,184
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: Re:

17 May 2017 18:58

Mayomaniac wrote:
WheelofGear wrote:Is it just me or is Dumoulin actually better on the very steep climbs (at 9%+ like Blockhaus) than the hard but not brutal climbs (at 7-8% like Oropa)?

He is an odd rider. I actually think Quintana will be able to do better on Oropa than Blockhaus.

A bit like a Dutch Mauri Melcior.
Yeah, the Oropa stage should be longer or have another climb at the start and the Lombardia stage should be a proper Lombardia stage.

The weirdest thing with Mauri was that he was fine on the inconsistent and steep stuff in Asturias and Cantabria, but absolutely dreck at getting a good rhythm going on the low to mid gradient climbs that normally suit riders such as him (as evidenced by tempo climbers like Nozal in later years). The reason that's strange is that all of those climbs in that Vuelta were in Catalunya, his home region.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,993
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fauniera and 25 guests

Back to top