Register

Giro 2017, stage 13: Reggio Emilia - Tortona 229 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

19 May 2017 17:43

DFA123 wrote:
carton wrote:
DFA123 wrote:It kind of is nonsense. It would be like calling Degenkolb the best sprinter in the world on the back of the 2014 Vuelta. When in fact, like Gaviria, he's clearly not even the best sprinter in his own team.
I'm not saying he is. But an argument can be made. Assume a sprint stage in a week, all of the hitters are there (bar Cav, who is on the sidelines ATM), outside of Kittel, who are you taking? Now, get Kittel back in there, say it's a lumpy finish, or twisty finish, who are you taking? It's not ludicrous to go with Gaviria in either case.

Also, this sprint field is a little better than 2014 Vuelta. And Bouhanni was right up there with Dege there.

Again, I won't say it, and I don't believe it, and it seems like a lot of unnecessary hype, but it's not insane to suggest it.

I think the 2014 Vuelta is a very good comparison. There you had the best second tier sprinters like Degenkolb, Bouhanni, Sagan, Matthews and a few outsiders like Boonen and Ciolek.

Similarly at this Giro, you've got second tier sprinters like Bennett and Ewan, plus a load of pretty poor outsiders like Mareczko and Modolo. Griepel is the exception I guess, but his lead out really sucks without Sieberg and Henderson, to the extent that he's been out of contention before the sprint starts more often than not.

Gaviria really needs to be beating the best sprinters with their a-trains, before he can be considered in the same company imo. He's been hugely impressive to win so many stages, but I think it's way too early to apply a wider context to his performances.

You are right. Another example could be Bouhanni in the 2014 Giro. I don't think anyone seriously considered him the best sprinter in the world because of his three stage wins, and neither should people think that way about Gaviria. For what it was worth, it was probably his best sprint win ever today, better than Paris-Tours as well, which - to be fair - was a win more remniscent of Cancellara's win in Compiégne than a true sprint win.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

19 May 2017 17:50

Wanna bet on a top 15 for tomorrow? Quintana to win it but Dumoulin to get much closer.

Quintana
Dumoulin, 3'
Pinot, 15'
Yates
Mollema, 21'
Nibali, 34
Pozzovivo
Formolo
Jungels, 55'
Zakarin
Polanc
Amador
Kangert
Reichenbach, 1'32
Cataldo
Velolover2

19 May 2017 18:14

Very exciting sprint. My respect goes out to the Colombian. Congrats.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

Re:

19 May 2017 18:24

Velolover2 wrote:Wanna bet on a top 15 for tomorrow? Quintana to win it but Dumoulin to get much closer.

Quintana
Dumoulin, 3'
Pinot, 15'
Yates
Mollema, 21'
Nibali, 34
Pozzovivo
Formolo
Jungels, 55'
Zakarin
Polanc
Amador
Kangert
Reichenbach, 1'32
Cataldo

It wouldn't shock me if a select group came in pretty much together tomorrow. NQ will want to get some time back, and he very may well get a little, but I think the stages to come is where he'll be expecting the big chunks.
Son of Amsterhammer

19 May 2017 19:01

Quintana said in an interview that he wants to take some time back tomorrow.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re: Giro 2017, stage 13: Reggio Emilia - Tortona 229 km

19 May 2017 20:54

I just watched the finish. Gavaria sprint was Cavendish-like in his prime! His speed compared to everyone else was remarkable. Very impressive considering the distance he traveled, the ground he made up so quickly. It was awesome to behold.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

20 May 2017 00:45

Gaviria had a huge gap to cover, but still managed to close the gap and win, that's pretty impressive!!!

To discuss he is the best, the second or the third sprinter in the world at this moment is nonsense, he is the best sprinter in Giro 2017 (with a huge margin over the second one and this is still his first GT), this sprint was enormous and he deserves respect for it, he made history on his first Giro, he deserves massive kudos for that, but history needs to be written and time will tell.

He can be classified as a tier A sprinter ATM, he is one of the best, period!

Don't underrate or overrate it!
User avatar huangho

Previous

Return to Professional road racing