Register

Giro 2018 Route Rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

24 Oct 2017 19:04

Chrispol wrote:
rbl85 wrote:
Chrispol wrote:
rbl85 wrote:The last climb of the stage 20 is not that hard, it's perfect for Dumouln but not for pure climber because the average gradient is less than 6%

Dumoulin has absolutely no problem with double digit gradient.

Why such a legend exist in the first place ?

I don't say that Dumoulin is bad on double digit gradient but that he is better than pure climbers when the gardient is under 8%

I don't think so, he lost the Vuelta on climbs with low gradients for example. You can say that he is better on high gradient because he can ride his pace without responding to attack. This is just a example, not saying that this is true, to show that both side can find reason to explain why he is better on high or low gradient.

He made strong performance on both low and high gradient. He is a pretty complete rider.

He was sick on the last stages of the Vuelta, But i agree with on the fact he is really good on short steep climbs (4-5km)
rbl85

24 Oct 2017 20:43

rbl85 wrote:
Chrispol wrote:
rbl85 wrote:
Chrispol wrote:
rbl85 wrote:The last climb of the stage 20 is not that hard, it's perfect for Dumouln but not for pure climber because the average gradient is less than 6%

Dumoulin has absolutely no problem with double digit gradient.

Why such a legend exist in the first place ?

I don't say that Dumoulin is bad on double digit gradient but that he is better than pure climbers when the gardient is under 8%

I don't think so, he lost the Vuelta on climbs with low gradients for example. You can say that he is better on high gradient because he can ride his pace without responding to attack. This is just a example, not saying that this is true, to show that both side can find reason to explain why he is better on high or low gradient.

He made strong performance on both low and high gradient. He is a pretty complete rider.

He was sick on the last stages of the Vuelta, But i agree with on the fact he is really good on short steep climbs (4-5km)

Sick, really ? He was superb the stage before he lost the Vuelta. :confused:

Sure he is really good on short steep climb, but on long too. Blockhaus this year for example.
User avatar Chrispol

24 Oct 2017 21:07

Yeah sick during the night before the stage 20 (i have some articles but it's in french so....).

Your exemple of the blockhaus is good and the only similarity with Oropa is the fact that it was the only climb of the stage
rbl85

Re:

24 Oct 2017 22:24

rbl85 wrote:Yeah sick during the night before the stage 20 (i have some articles but it's in french so....).

Your exemple of the blockhaus is good and the only similarity with Oropa is the fact that it was the only climb of the stage

Yes, I'm more questioned about his capacity on multi climbs stages than gradient...

You can send me the article in PM, look at my location. :D
User avatar Chrispol

25 Oct 2017 08:42

Chrispol wrote:
rbl85 wrote:Yeah sick during the night before the stage 20 (i have some articles but it's in french so....).

Yes, I'm more questioned about his capacity on multi climbs stages than gradient...

You can send me the article in PM, look at my location. :D

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-la-vuelta-c-guiberteau-tom-dumoulin-etait-malade-52799.html
Last edited by rbl85 on 25 Oct 2017 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
rbl85

25 Oct 2017 08:54

Sick is also what happens in Grand Tours historically when a rider is just exhausted. To me he was just really at the end of his energy and Astana exploited their numbers well.
veji11

27 Oct 2017 16:51

I read in an article on a Danish site that the final stage (in Rome) will be an ITT.

Usually it is a reliable site (feltet) but I dont remember it mentioned even once in here.

I suppose a final ITT in Rome would mean the rumours about stage 11 or 12 would be false?
Kyllingen86

27 Oct 2017 17:13

San Marino stage will be en ligne, probably will replace as a MTF the murito over Gualdo Tadino that is not rumored anymore.
The only big doubt left is the stage in Calabria.
Nirvana

27 Oct 2017 17:27

I thought stage 7 would go to Praia a Mare.

So stage 10 to Gualdo Tadino City. May or May not be a medium mountain stage.

Stage 11 ? (Assisi? - San Marino) - good potential for a medium mountain stage. Fits well with the early however recently very dead rumours of Monte Catria and/or Monte Nerone.

Stage 12 (Filottrano - Imola?)
Kyllingen86

27 Oct 2017 19:23

Latest rumors are about Roccella Jonica as start and Santa Maria del Cedro as finish but changes almost everyday so it's difficult to take something as probable.
I think this stage and the one to Gualdo Tadino could be sprinters friendly giving there aren't many other stages for them (two in Israel, one in Sicily but not as certainty because it's not flat, the one after the Trento ITT and maybe the Nerversa but is rumored to have some sterrato on the Montello near the finish).
Filottrano-Imola seems that will have the 1968 WC circuit as finish (like the stage won by Zakarin in 2015) to celebrate Adorni victory.
Nirvana

27 Oct 2017 20:01

Little surprised to hear, considering previous rumours, the Rome stage's going to be a time trial, although it nicely rounds up the concept of the edition. Should be interesting to see how it'll look alike. If the organizer's intention, as claimed, is to attract Froome and Dumoulin, some of Rome's seven hills, fitting length and finish square should be expected.
User avatar sir fly

28 Oct 2017 13:06

Will be surprising if there are 3 TT,s in the Giro which goes against the trends of recent GT s.
yaco

28 Oct 2017 13:38

With the Jerusalem prologue being 10km or so, Trento ITT was going to be 30km or something right, and Roma ITT could be short too. It may not end up being that much TT km in the end.

Dumoulin for the Giro-Tour double. :D
"Winning is about heart, not just legs. It's got to be in the right place."
User avatar Sciocco

Re: Giro 2018 Route Rumours

30 Oct 2017 11:30

Didn't have time to post lately, but there hasn't been much to mention, besides that the ITT in the second week is less and less likely. All seems to point to a road stage to S.Marino. Rome could be an ITT, but even if it is, I expect something like 2009.

1 Jerusalem ITT
2 Haifa - Tel Aviv
3 Be'er Sheva - Eilat

4 Catania-Caltagirone
5 Agrigento-Santa Ninfa(Valle del Belice)
6 Caltanissetta-Etna(Osservatorio Astrofisico)
7 Pizzo Calabro - Scalea
8 Scalea - Montevergine
9 Pesco Sannita - Campo Imperatore

10 Farindola - Gualdo Tadino
11 Assisi - S.Marino
12 Filottrano - Imola
13 Ravenna? - Nervesa della Battaglia
14 S.Vito al Tagliamento - Zoncolan
15 Tolmezzo - Sappada

16 Trento - Rovereto ITT
17 Arco - Monza
18 Milano - Prato Nevoso
19 Venaria - Monte Jafferau
20 Saluzzo - Cervinia
21 ??? - Roma (ITT?)
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

30 Oct 2017 14:32

Could anyone give me a profile of Sappada? I see numerous ones in google graffic, but dunno which one I am supposed to look at
Gerrard Slipped haha

Re:

30 Oct 2017 14:37

Gerrard Slipped haha wrote:Could anyone give me a profile of Sappada? I see numerous ones in google graffic, but dunno which one I am supposed to look at

Sappada is just a false flat. It's pretty much the only mountain stage which I wouldn't consider a real MTF.
Anyway, here it is.

Only up to Sappada itself, at km 5.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

30 Oct 2017 14:40

Eshnar wrote:
Gerrard Slipped haha wrote:Could anyone give me a profile of Sappada? I see numerous ones in google graffic, but dunno which one I am supposed to look at

Sappada is just a false flat. It's pretty much the only mountain stage which I wouldn't consider a real MTF.
Anyway, here it is.

Only up to Sappada itself, at km 5.

Interesting finish. Obviously you want action to happen on earlier climbs, but it still gives a platform for late moves between smaller groups and whatnot, and it doesn't prevent any sort of action either.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

03 Nov 2017 07:46

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5037973,00.html
From AP
The famed annual multi-stage bicycle race Giro d'Italia, or Tour of Italy, will make its start next May in Jerusalem under a longstanding tradition that some starts and stages of the race take place outside of Italy. But for Israel, organizers have been forced to navigate a tricky obstacle course, recognizing political sensitivities.

The route will not go through any land considered occupied by the international community—meaning it will circumvent the West Bank and east Jerusalem, territories Israel captured in the 1967 Six-Day War and claimed by the Palestinians as parts of a future independent state.

However, the international anti-Israel boycott movement is fuming the race is even being held. Race director Mauro Vegni says the course was mapped out with the "guidance" of the Italian Foreign Ministry.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
Froome & Roy Moore - blessed St Lucia!
User avatar Robert5091

03 Nov 2017 07:51

Pope to (maybe) ride Giro!
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5035044,00.html
The honorary president of the Giro d'Italia bicycle race, Sylvan Adams, invited Pope Francis on Thursday to launch the Israeli leg of the famed race, to take place next May.

Adams—president of "Big Start Israel," which organizes the Israeli leg of the race—personally delivered the invitation to the pope while visiting the Vatican. He was also the one to convince the race's organizers to launch their race in Israel, for the first time in the Giro d'Italia history.
Not content with merely inviting the spiritual leader of 1.30 billion followers to launch the race, however, Adams also suggested the pope ride alongside him in a bicycle convoy.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
Froome & Roy Moore - blessed St Lucia!
User avatar Robert5091

03 Nov 2017 12:43

Montevergine stage will start from Praia a Mare.

Nirvana

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing