Register

Giro 2018 Route Rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Giro 2018 Route Rumours

29 May 2017 10:31

Here is our mandatory thread. Unlike last year, there are already a lot of rumours. Too many. Half of them must be bull****, so take them with a pinch of salt.

Starting location:
The most recent (and insistent) rumour is Jerusalem. I find it weird for political reasons, but that's what they say. Plan B is Poland, plan C is Croatia.

On to Italy:
They might restart from Sicily after the transfer and then make a route kind of similar to this year.
There are rumours about stages in Puglia, Lazio (Rieti or Terminillo), Abruzzo (Francavilla), Umbria (Gualdo Tadino), Marche (an ITT between Fano and Iesi and/or a mountain stage involving Monte Catria and Monte Nerone).
From the Appennines they should go west, with a very likely MTF to Prato Nevoso (or surroundings) and another mountain stage in Valle d'Aosta (probably Cervinia or Courmayeur).
The route will probably end on the east side, where there are a bunch of stages rumoured in Veneto (too many to list). Here the mountain stages should be three. One almost fixed involving Zoncolan (they say twice, from Ovaro and Priola, but they said the same in 2014 and look what we got...), one in Trentino (Passo Vezzena or Sega di Ala, or somewhere in between), and one in Veneto (Monte Grappa again?). Kronplatz and Sorgenti del Piave already had their annual rumour show up on the newspapers... we'll see.
In terms of TTing, there are three somewhat legitimate rumours: Fano - Iesi, Rimini - S.Marino, Franciacorta. Of course they won't be all in, but one of them yes, maybe even two.
As for the finishing town, no clue yet.

EDIT: Possible draft (Nov 5th):

1 Jerusalem ITT
2 Haifa - Tel Aviv
3 Be'er Sheva - Eilat

4 Catania-Caltagirone
5 Agrigento-Santa Ninfa(Valle del Belice)
6 Caltanissetta-Etna(Osservatorio Astrofisico)
7 Pizzo Calabro - Scalea
8 Praia a Mare - Montevergine
9 Pesco Sannita - Campo Imperatore

10 Farindola - Gualdo Tadino
11 Assisi - Osimo
12 Filottrano - Imola
13 Ferrara - Nervesa della Battaglia
14 S.Vito al Tagliamento - Zoncolan
15 Tolmezzo - Sappada

16 Trento - Rovereto ITT
17 Arco - Monza
18 Milano - Prato Nevoso
19 Venaria - Monte Jafferau
20 Susa - Cervinia
21 ??? - Roma
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

29 May 2017 10:56

Can't imagine a Jerusalem start as that would probably count the Middle East sponsored teams out. Croatia could probably work without the need for a rest day to cater for the transfer.
Yingge

Re: Giro 2018 Route Rumours

29 May 2017 11:04

Eshnar wrote:Starting location:
The most recent (and insistent) rumour is Jerusalem. I find it weird for political reasons, but that's what they say. Plan B is Poland, plan C is Croatia.

Polish media are still informing that Poland has not definitely lost its chances yet. Vegni, when asked if Poland is already out of the race, answered: "Poland is a new, interesting market for the cycling. We must take into account not only the sporting aspect, but also political and marketing factors". That was after Conti announced in RAI that Giro 2018 will not start in Poland.

Source (in Polish only), dated 18 May:
https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/kolarstwo/688034/giro-ditalia-2018-jednak-wystartuje-w-polsce

Giro 2017 wildcard for CCC is linked sometimes to the fact that Giro 2018 is to start from Poland. Also, some have noticed that Czeslaw Lang (former Polish professional rider who for a long time lived in Italy, currently organizing the biggest local events like Tour of Poland, NCs etc.) was attending pre-Giro 2017 organizers meeting and was the only foreigner being present there.

If Poland is ultimately confirmed, cities of Krakow and Wroclaw are mentioned as possible starting locations. They are both large, historical and provide a variety of tourist attractions, as well as necessary logistic background (hotels, airports etc.). Also, the terrain around them is quite diversified, enabling various design of first stages - from pancake flat to hilly ones (including HTFs).
Last edited by dick the quick on 29 May 2017 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
dick the quick

29 May 2017 11:05

I could imagine they are planning double Zonc on the penultimate day which probably will hamper the mountain stages before that one, but it sounds amazing still. I can't wait for pretty much all journalists and experts to deem it too hard and inhuman
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

29 May 2017 11:06

Oh god, not another Cervinia stage. Ok, the last one was a good "transitional" stage between 2 more exciting mountain stages and it was really long to wear the riders out before the Finestre stage, but it's not a great climb.
User avatar Mayomaniac

29 May 2017 11:07

What Yingge said. UAE and Bahrain would definitely not be happy with and possibly boycott an Israeli start.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

29 May 2017 11:09

Mayomaniac wrote:Oh god, not another Cervinia stage. Ok, the last one was a good "transitional" stage between 2 more exciting mountain stages and it was really long to wear the riders out before the Finestre stage, but it's not a great climb.

Nah, Cervinia is such a meh climb honestly. Im no expert, certainly not regarding possible finish destinations in Aosta, but it shouldn't be hard to come up with something not just better, but much better.

Edit: Profile of Courmayeur?
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

29 May 2017 11:12

Croatia would be brilliant for the route, some really nice hills and the possibility to work through Friuli if they decide to mix it up a bit.

Really hope it's not Israel. I think the Russian teams may also have a problem with it starting there, and it wouldn't exactly be a ringing endorsement of human rights, not that they care with Bahrain et al setting up teams.
Brullnux

Re: Re:

29 May 2017 11:12

LaFlorecita wrote:What Yingge said. UAE and Bahrain would definitely not be happy with and possibly boycott an Israeli start.

yes that's what I think as well.

Valv.Piti wrote:Nah, Cervinia is such a meh climb honestly. Im no expert, certainly not regarding possible finish destinations in Aosta, but it shouldn't be hard to come up with something not just better, but much better.

Well hard to disagree. For example, the other rumoured possibility, Courmayeur, has always been a wet dream of mine...
edit: Courmayeur is in a valley (at the foot of Monte Bianco), it would not be a MTF. But there's Colle S.Carlo in a very nice position :)
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

29 May 2017 11:14

Valv.Piti wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:Oh god, not another Cervinia stage. Ok, the last one was a good "transitional" stage between 2 more exciting mountain stages and it was really long to wear the riders out before the Finestre stage, but it's not a great climb.

Nah, Cervinia is such a meh climb honestly. Im no expert, certainly not regarding possible finish destinations in Aosta, but it shouldn't be hard to come up with something not just better, but much better.

Edit: Profile of Courmayeur?

Courmayuer isn't a climb, but it would be a downhill/rolling finish from one of the many Aostan climbs. Nus or even Aosta would be a nice finish too, but Courma is far prettier. A finish at Fénis would be cool, but I'm not sure it's doable.

Edit: eshnar beat me to it.
Brullnux

29 May 2017 11:30

Bring crostis/zoncolan combo and I will give 10 to the route
portugal11

29 May 2017 11:41

Coermayeur after Colle San Carlo would mean a 10 km, 10 % climb followed by 15 km descent and 5 km false flat to Coermayeur.

The best option in Aosta would probably be a descent finish. If they absolutely want to have an uphill finish, they should try Pila instead of Cervinia.
OlavEH

29 May 2017 12:13

In for most important thread of the 5 months
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

29 May 2017 12:37

portugal11 wrote:Bring crostis/zoncolan combo and I will give 10 to the route

They can't use Crostis before Zoncolan because of the descent, i think we'll never see it again after the 2011 failed try, maybe as a MTF if it's logistically doable put a finish on the top.
Nirvana

29 May 2017 12:38

Colle san Carlo is such a good climb, it would be great if that was the case. 10 km @ 10%, uhm.. Otherwise, with Nevoso and Cervinia, we might be in for a long waiting game for the last couple of stages.
User avatar Valv.Piti

29 May 2017 13:54

I just hope that the (double) Zoncolan won't be the final mountain stage, if it's at the start of the 3rd week or even right before the final mountain stage that allows long range attack then it's a good option, but not as the last mountain stage.
A mountain stage that involves Monte Catria and Monte Nerone before the 3rd week would be pretty sweet, give us a stage that is similar to the 2009 Monte Petrano stage and you already have something that prevents the Giro from being too backloaded.
Yesterday the mayor of Milano said on RAI that they'd like to keep an ITT that finishes on Piazza Duomo for the next 2-3 years and that they'll start talks this week, but it's not a done deal.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re:

29 May 2017 13:58

Mayomaniac wrote:I just hope that the (double) Zoncolan won't be the final mountain stage, if it's at the start of the 3rd week or even right before the final mountain stage that allows long range attack then it's a good option, but not as the last mountain stage.
A mountain stage that involves Monte Catria and Monte Nerone before the 3rd week would be pretty sweet, give us a stage that is similar to the 2009 Monte Petrano stage and you already have something that prevents the Giro from being too backloaded.
Yesterday the mayor of Milano said on RAI that they'd like to keep an ITT that finishes on Piazza Duomo for the next 2-3 years and that they'll start talks this week, but it's not a done deal.

Interesting, I missed that. If it's the case it'd be highly unlikely to have a MTF on Zonc the day before. The transfer would be huge. Much more likely to have the Veneto or Trentino mountain stage as last one.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

29 May 2017 14:08

Eshnar wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:I just hope that the (double) Zoncolan won't be the final mountain stage, if it's at the start of the 3rd week or even right before the final mountain stage that allows long range attack then it's a good option, but not as the last mountain stage.

Interesting, I missed that. If it's the case it'd be highly unlikely to have a MTF on Zonc the day before. The transfer would be huge. Much more likely to have the Veneto or Trentino mountain stage as last one.

Yes, a longer transfer after the 2nd restday and Zoncolan at the start of the 3rd week, that wouldn't be a bad option.
User avatar Mayomaniac

29 May 2017 14:16

If thats the case, we can expect 60-80 km of time trials the next couple of years, combining the usual vine-trial with Milan
User avatar Valv.Piti

29 May 2017 14:45

Eshnar wrote:

Prato di Nago and then all he way op to Rifugio Altissimo as penultimate climb please
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Next

Return to Professional road racing