Register

Giro 2018 Route Rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

29 Aug 2017 10:56

Eshnar wrote:
Forever The Best wrote:Is there any chances of stage 18 using Sampeyre and Fauniera?

Sampeyre, 0%
Fauniera, 5% because I'm optimistic.
:o

Where is Zomegan when you need him? ;)
mikii4567

29 Aug 2017 11:05

mikii4567 wrote:
Eshnar wrote:
Forever The Best wrote:Is there any chances of stage 18 using Sampeyre and Fauniera?

Sampeyre, 0%

he never went there either :p
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

29 Aug 2017 11:26

Eshnar wrote:
mikii4567 wrote:
Eshnar wrote:

Sampeyre, 0%

he never went there either :p

damn :( ;)
mikii4567

29 Aug 2017 11:48

It is a shame that vegni doesn't use the hardest climbs in italy. Gavia, fauniera, finestre, zoncolan, crostis should be used way more often
portugal11

Re:

29 Aug 2017 12:00

portugal11 wrote:It is a shame that vegni doesn't use the hardest climbs in italy. Gavia, fauniera, finestre, zoncolan, crostis should be used way more often

Italy is packed with hard climb, I think is nice to see some change times to times. But I can't say that I am fully satisfied with Cervinia every 3 years. :o

The problem with Fauniera is that the road is in bad condition no ? Since RCS is keen to prone the security of riders like in Tirreno 2016 with the EWP, I don't think they'll going to take the risk to face a strike from the riders...

But give us back Pradaccio, no problem with the road, I was mad when they avoided it in 2015. :mad:
User avatar Chrispol

29 Aug 2017 12:34

Alpe di Pampeago has been regularly used as a mtf in the past. The harder ascend from South Tyrol called Reiterjoch has been paved for years now. Yet it hasn't been used either as a mtf or as final climb with a fast downhill finish. Instead we get the same boring Dolomites stage around Val Gardena each year again. There would be great options for a Drei Zinnen mtf as well. It's actually a quite hard ascend if you attempt the Auronzo Hut from Toblach via Col Sant' Angelo before. With numerous options to add South Tyrolean climbs like the Würzjoch, Furkelsattel, Jaufenpass, Rodenecker Alm, etc. before. Yet, we never see these options. Apparently the Drei Zinnen stage had been completely scratched instead. Neither do we see the Kronplatz mtt back.

There are enough hard climbs to use and potentially a huge paycheck to earn from the government and tourist office. Money RCS needs desperately. But the Giro organizer prefers to start the race abroad instead. I don't get it. Zomegnan used to take this opportunities. Especially back in 2008. It nearly looks like Vegni wilfully avoids South Tyrol, with exceptions like this year proving the rule.
User avatar staubsauger

Re:

29 Aug 2017 12:46

staubsauger wrote:Alpe di Pampeago has been regularly used as a mtf in the past. The harder ascend from South Tyrol called Reiterjoch has been paved for years now. Yet it hasn't been used either as a mtf or as final climb with a fast downhill finish. Instead we get the same boring Dolomites stage around Val Gardena each year again. There would be great options for a Drei Zinnen mtf as well. It's actually a quite hard ascend if you attempt the Auronzo Hut from Toblach via Col Sant' Angelo before. With numerous options to add South Tyrolean climbs like the Würzjoch, Furkelsattel, Jaufenpass, Rodenecker Alm, etc. before. Yet, we never see these options. Apparently the Drei Zinnen stage had been completely scratched instead. Neither do we see the Kronplatz mtt back.

There are enough hard climbs to use and potentially a huge paycheck to earn from the government and tourist office. Money RCS needs desperately. But the Giro organizer prefers to start the race abroad instead. I don't get it. Zomegnan used to take this opportunities. Especially back in 2008. It nearly looks like Vegni wilfully avoids South Tyrol, with exceptions like this year proving the rule.

:confused: :confused: Since Vegni got onboard, South Tyrol didn't have at least one stage only in 2015 iirc.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

29 Aug 2017 12:51

MTFs on Zoncoland and Tre Cime on consecutive days and it's ok for me but ffs, Cervinia on stage 20 is really underwhelming.

Hope, we'll get Fedaia and Corones in 2019.
User avatar pink_jersey

Re:

29 Aug 2017 13:01

pink_jersey wrote:MTFs on Zoncoland and Tre Cime on consecutive days and it's ok for me but ffs, Cervinia on stage 20 is really underwhelming.

Hope, we'll get Fedaia and Corones in 2019.

There won't be Tre Cime, it was just speculation about stage 15 which we are now fairly sure will finish in Sappada...

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

29 Aug 2017 19:34

With 2 or 3 climbs before it Cervinia is actually a good final mountain stage after a hard 3rd week, it could be pretty good.
Kronplatz/Plan de Corones has invested aa ton of money in the Messner Mountain Museum and that museum is probably their main focus when it comes to summer tourism, so I don't know if we'll see the climb in the next few years.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re:

29 Aug 2017 20:32

Mayomaniac wrote:With 2 or 3 climbs before it Cervinia is actually a good final mountain stage after a hard 3rd week, it could be pretty good.
Kronplatz/Plan de Corones has invested aa ton of money in the Messner Mountain Museum and that museum is probably their main focus when it comes to summer tourism, so I don't know if we'll see the climb in the next few years.

The problem I have with Cervinia is not the climb itself, but the climbs you can put before it. The penultimate climb in the stage 2015 was the best possible option and if that's the best possible option for the final mountain stage it's hard to be not disappointed. Still, way better than the last mountain stage this year anyway.

In any case, my hype for this route is gone. The stage around Sestriere looks way worse than what I hoped for when the rumor first came up (not a big fan of Jafferau, since you'll always have a flat section before it and moreover the last climb will most likely be Sestriere which is anything but exciting as well), Prato Nevoso is okay as it's the first of the 3 mountain stages, but it's still not difficult to find more interesting climbs, still no Fedaia, which I think is always the main reason why the whole forum still wants a Dolomites stage every year, and as far as I understand it, there won't be double Zoncolan. It still looks decent and I still like some things like the early Etna stage or the San Marino ITT, but it's not as good as I hoped.

On another note, do I understand it right that Sestriere might be Cima Coppi (if they pass it in the Jafferau stage)? Because that must be the lamest Cima Coppi since its invention.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

29 Aug 2017 20:36

Gigs_98 wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:With 2 or 3 climbs before it Cervinia is actually a good final mountain stage after a hard 3rd week, it could be pretty good.

The problem I have with Cervinia is not the climb itself, but the climbs you can put before it. The penultimate climb in the stage 2015 was the best possible option and if that's the best possible option for the final mountain stage it's hard to be not disappointed. Still, way better than the last mountain stage this year anyway.

In any case, my hype for this route is gone. The stage around Sestriere looks way worse than what I hoped for when the rumor first came up (not a big fan of Jafferau, since you'll always have a flat section before it and moreover the last climb will most likely be Sestriere which is anything but exciting as well), Prato Nevoso is okay as it's the first of the 3 mountain stages, but it's still not difficult to find more interesting climbs, still no Fedaia, which I think is always the main reason why the whole forum still wants a Dolomites stage every year, and as far as I understand it, there won't be double Zoncolan. It still looks decent and I still like some things like the early Etna stage or the San Marino ITT, but it's not as good as I hoped.

On another note, do I understand it right that Sestriere might be Cima Coppi (if they pass it in the Jafferau stage)? Because that must be the lamest Cima Coppi since its invention.
Anything would be better than that. By far the worst final mountain stage designs in recent years
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do"
User avatar bob.a.feet

29 Aug 2017 20:39

The Asiago stage was pretty well designed. Other side of Grappa and you have an epic stage
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

29 Aug 2017 20:48

Gigs_98 wrote:On another note, do I understand it right that Sestriere might be Cima Coppi (if they pass it in the Jafferau stage)? Because that must be the lamest Cima Coppi since its invention.

Finestre is higher...

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

29 Aug 2017 21:05

Eshnar wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:On another note, do I understand it right that Sestriere might be Cima Coppi (if they pass it in the Jafferau stage)? Because that must be the lamest Cima Coppi since its invention.

Finestre is higher...

So the rumors suggest they will also climb Finestre? Didn't know that but that at least upgrades this stage a lot.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re:

29 Aug 2017 21:07

Red Rick wrote:The Asiago stage was pretty well designed. Other side of Grappa and you have an epic stage

Yeah, but they didn't use that side and therefore made complete crap. It's like saying a MTT up Fedaia from the west side is well designed because it would be epic if they had used the other side.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

29 Aug 2017 21:11

Gigs_98 wrote:So the rumors suggest they will also climb Finestre? Didn't know that but that at least upgrades this stage a lot.

Dude this is from almost one month ago! :p You haven't been paying attention :(

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

29 Aug 2017 21:35

Gigs_98 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:The Asiago stage was pretty well designed. Other side of Grappa and you have an epic stage

Yeah, but they didn't use that side and therefore made complete crap. It's like saying a MTT up Fedaia from the west side is well designed because it would be epic if they had used the other side.

I think it was a great stage. The climb was not super selective so it made sense to work together in groups. And the false flat pursuit was exciting!

NOTHING would have happened before Foza however you design it - the guys were full stop empty!
TromleTromle

29 Aug 2017 21:41

Zakarin attacked on the Grappa already. Dumoulin dropped on the Grappa already. How is that a terrible stage?
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

29 Aug 2017 21:46

TromleTromle wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:

I think it was a great stage. The climb was not super selective so it made sense to work together in groups. And the false flat pursuit was exciting!

NOTHING would have happened before Foza however you design it - the guys were full stop empty!

Hum, not true I'd say.

Katusha worked a lot in front, and their acceleration was violent, they almost cracked Dumoulin at a point, but this side of Monte Grappa have too much flat between the up sections.

Give them some double digit gradients and the peloton would have been totally shattered.

EDIT : Ok Red Rick saying exactly the same think a few minutes ago, be concise Chrispol. :o
User avatar Chrispol

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing