Register

Giro 2018 Route Rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Giro 2018 Route Rumours

17 Sep 2017 09:44

Valv.Piti wrote:Who will ride the Giro of the biggest names? Froome, Dumo, Quintana and Bardet are pretty locked for the Tour I'd say. Unless the Tour goes full retard and **** Dumo completely over.. Landa will ride, I think Aru will as well - will FDJ have Pinot focus on the Tour or send him to the Giro again? Then there's Nibali, chances are he will ride L-B-L, Tour and Worlds. Chaves is a pretty good bet for a Giro as well. Zakarin likewise, but I could imagine Katushe would want him to podium in the Tour. How about Lopez, I think a Giro + Vuelta combo is much more wise than a Tour right now.

As you said, Landa and Aru are the most likely big names. I guess Chaves will go to the tour since iirc peaking there was already the goal this season, but it didn't work due to his injuries (If he is the tdf leader I expect one or even both Yates in the Giro though). Nibali has also already confirmed he'll go to the tour, so no giro for him. I expect Zakarin in Italy though since Kittel went to Katusha so the tour team will probably focus around him and there won't be any space for a gc rider. I agree that Giro+Vuelta might be wiser for Lopez, but Astana right now doesn't have a stronger leader than him so I can imagine that they send him to the biggest race.

Sky will surely send a gc rider to the giro, so probably either Poels or Thomas will go there (probably Thomas). Before this year I also thought there would be a good chance Bardet rides the Giro, since I think he originally wanted to do so in 2016. However now that he has been on the tour podium for the 2nd year in a row and even the win in the tdf seems possible, I doubt he'll ride the giro. Same for Uran who preferred the giro in the past, but now that he had success in the tour I doubt he'll return to his old racing schedule.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re:

17 Sep 2017 11:58

Valv.Piti wrote:Who will ride the Giro of the biggest names? Froome, Dumo, Quintana and Bardet are pretty locked for the Tour I'd say. Unless the Tour goes full retard and **** Dumo completely over.. Landa will ride, I think Aru will as well - will FDJ have Pinot focus on the Tour or send him to the Giro again? Then there's Nibali, chances are he will ride L-B-L, Tour and Worlds. Chaves is a pretty good bet for a Giro as well. Zakarin likewise, but I could imagine Katushe would want him to podium in the Tour. How about Lopez, I think a Giro + Vuelta combo is much more wise than a Tour right now.

This is complicated. In the GP de Fourmies, Madiot said to a french guy that I know on french forums that from now on Pinot will do the Tour every year.

But Thibaut doesn't seem to agree on this opinion, saying in the press that after the Tour Madiot talked in the heat of the moment, and that he prefers to judge the route before deciding what GT he will going to ride.

He even said that if FDJ doesn't let him try Giro-Vuelta in the same year at some point, that means that he isn't fully bloomed in the team...
User avatar Chrispol

17 Sep 2017 12:08

I really hope we will see Tibo at the Giro again next year, but it's likely he will do TDF instead.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

17 Sep 2017 15:42

There are some good names that could benefit from just going to the Giro instead of the Tour such as Pinot, Chaves and Lopez. However sponsors have the last word in decision me thinks. And we could well see these three names at the Tour.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

17 Sep 2017 16:29

Think you'll find that unlike the TDF in 2017, the 2018 TDF will have the strongest fields,seeing teams believe Froome is vulnerable - My guess is the Giro will have Aru, Chaves, Lopez, Kelderman and Landa as the headline acts - And probably some up-and-coming GC riders.
yaco

Re:

17 Sep 2017 16:31

Escarabajo wrote:There are some good names that could benefit from just going to the Giro instead of the Tour such as Pinot, Chaves and Lopez. However sponsors have the last word in decision me thinks. And we could well see these three names at the Tour.

My guess is only Pinot from this group will be a certainty for the TDF.
yaco

17 Sep 2017 17:22

Nibali said that he'll ride the Vuelta as a prep race for the WC, but it will probably be like the Tour last year, and I guess that he'll probably ride the Tour. Maybe the really hard WC RR will make a few riders think of doing Giro+Vuelta so that they can arrive in great shape, not everyone is able to ride Tour+Vuelta and the WC without cracking. Of course a few riders could also skip the Vuelta after the Tour to prepare for the WC RR.
User avatar Mayomaniac

18 Sep 2017 09:56

From http://www.cicloweb.it/2017/09/18/ufficiale-giro-ditalia-2018-partira-gerusalemme/

Jerusalem - Jerusalem 10.1 km ITT

Haifa - Tel Aviv 167 km

Be'er Sheva - Eilat 226 km
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

18 Sep 2017 10:03

Interesting first stage.
User avatar Alexandre B.

18 Sep 2017 10:05

That's disappointing, surely there's some hillier routes available. But I guess security considerations are more important.
User avatar spalco
Veteran

18 Sep 2017 10:08

Hoped that (at least) one of the opening stages will be hilly.
Nice rolling tt.
User avatar sir fly

18 Sep 2017 10:13

stage 3 is entirely on the desert, it should be interesting.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re:

18 Sep 2017 10:17

Eshnar wrote:stage 3 is entirely on the desert, it should be interesting.

Could bring even more action than a hilly profile, then.
Good choice.
User avatar sir fly

18 Sep 2017 10:19

Meh.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

18 Sep 2017 10:21

Does anyone know if Israel is very windy? Stage 2 is along the coast, so maybe there is a chance for crosswinds as well
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

18 Sep 2017 10:27

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5017843,00.html

Organizers of the Giro d'Italia were persuaded to start the competition in Israel by the Jewish Canadian billionaire Sylvan Adams, who made aliya (the immigration of Jews from the diaspora to the Land of Israel) to Israel and agreed to finance most of the competition's expenses out of his own pocket.

Convinced of the competition's potential popularity and its positive impact on tourism and Israel's public image, the Israeli government agreed to chip in to help with the expenses.

Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan has already announced that the Israel Police and his office will share the costs of security and policing, which will include, inter alia, helicopters, road closures, and a security detail for the cyclists.

In total, the cost of bringing the competition to Israel is estimated to be $20 million.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
User avatar Robert5091

18 Sep 2017 10:41

Gigs_98 wrote:Does anyone know if Israel is very windy? Stage 2 is along the coast, so maybe there is a chance for crosswinds as well

There was a big sandstorm in the Negev/Eilat in May this year
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4964141,00.html

Wind in Tel Aviv on average is westerly - could be interesting.
https://weatherspark.com/m/98222/5/Average-Weather-in-May-in-Tel-Aviv-Israel
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
User avatar Robert5091

18 Sep 2017 10:49

That first time trial is worth it, I didn't expect some super hilly first stages anyways.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

18 Sep 2017 14:34

The Giro is starting in Israel.
Which brainless dickhead came up with this **** stupid move?
TheGreenMonkey

18 Sep 2017 14:53

The desert stage and the Jerusalem TT are all well and good but surely there are more interesting routes out of (or better yet, into) Haifa (a city best known for the hill it was built under).
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing