Register

Commentatorballs

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

03 Sep 2017 12:29

Oude Geuze wrote:All the while, ripping on Kirby like everyone else ITT and on the forum in general. Double standards much?

M favorites from Kirby:
TdF '17 Aru tages a mtf: "..and there it is, the smile that could break a thousand mirrors"
Vuelta stage 14: "Aru is all over the bike, its not pretty from this angle, its not pretty from any angle when its Aru"

I feel sorry for Aru, but at the same time, he does have a peculiar style, and the comments did make me laugh.

And THAT's the difference between Kirby and Been. Kirby is a disrespectful POS who thinks he is funny and should never be criticized.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

03 Sep 2017 12:31

Brullnux wrote:Or another: "Tony Gallopin, who is 37 seconds ahead of Michal Kwiatkowski, who is 37 seconds behind" - Rob Hatch

Now this is funny. Rob Hatch is a proper commentator, unfortunately from what I read online many don't like him because he pronounces foreign names correctly.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

03 Sep 2017 12:38

GenericBoonenFan wrote:The main problem with Been is that she's supposed to be a commentator for both dutch and belgian fans, well atleast during the Giro she could try. But she clearly favors the dutch.
Furthermore, it's like Rick says she might be enthousiastic but she lacks significamt talent to be a commemtator.
Personally I favor B.Traksel as he's smart, knows his stuff and cam givee interesting anecdotes unlike Been or Kroon.

Traksel is a disgrace
User avatar Billie

03 Sep 2017 13:51

LaFlorecita wrote:
Brullnux wrote:Or another: "Tony Gallopin, who is 37 seconds ahead of Michal Kwiatkowski, who is 37 seconds behind" - Rob Hatch

Now this is funny. Rob Hatch is a proper commentator, unfortunately from what I read online many don't like him because he pronounces foreign names correctly.

Yes, it's always a treat to listen to the Giro on Eurosport international because of Rob Hatch. I don't like Sean Kelly's accent and way of speaking, but the pair Hatch+Kelly is the best for me.
User avatar Ricco'

Re:

03 Sep 2017 14:17

GenericBoonenFan wrote:Adam Yates, the green jersey, a man for the futur...
Christopher Juul Jensen, a great sprinter whi won 2 vuelta stages last year...

Both by the Kirby of the Netherlands José Been

I listened to her commentary of the 2014 worlds. She is absolutely dreadful.
Durden93

03 Sep 2017 17:55

LaFlorecita wrote:

100% correct with your post - Though Kelly can mangle a few names.
yaco

03 Sep 2017 19:24

LaFlorecita wrote:

That's the feeling I get as well when people complain about Hatch
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

03 Sep 2017 21:24

Tour_de_Calvados wrote:Kirby on any mountainous Vuelta stage - "could be a good one for Louis Meintjes to attack here".

Kirby is without doubt Meintjes' number 1 fan, the man is obsessed... :lol:
JoeD1997

04 Sep 2017 03:51

His pronunciation of that name is hilarious by the way. It's something along the lines of "main keys". How he finds the k in the name is something I will never understand.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

04 Sep 2017 08:45

tobydawq wrote:His pronunciation of that name is hilarious by the way. It's something along the lines of "main keys". How he finds the k in the name is something I will never understand.

By listening to Afrikaans speakers?
https://forvo.com/search/Meintjes/
User avatar Armchair cyclist

04 Sep 2017 09:25

Nygaard: It always looks like a mix between a panic-attack and an epileptical attack when Zakarin attacks, but it's efficient.

(That's a lot of attacks...)
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

04 Sep 2017 09:27

Hatch is growing on me, I think I kept confusing him for Quigley for a while who has even lower enthusiasm.
deValtos

05 Sep 2017 02:59

yaco wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

Well Kelly is from Waaaaatherford. It's a miracle he can pronounce English names, let alone French ones. During the 91 Tour as a rider he gave up trying to pronounce Abdujaparov during interviews, and just called him "The Russian."

A favourite of mine was as the Tour rode past a coastal nuclear plant, and Sherwin, for once free-lancing off his prepared script, said "I don't like that they use water from the English Channel to cool the plant," to which Liggett replied "well I'm sure when they're done with it, they put the water back."
Leinster

05 Sep 2017 09:12

Leinster wrote:
yaco wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

Well Kelly is from Waaaaatherford. It's a miracle he can pronounce English names, let alone French ones. During the 91 Tour as a rider he gave up trying to pronounce Abdujaparov during interviews, and just called him "The Russian."

A favourite of mine was as the Tour rode past a coastal nuclear plant, and Sherwin, for once free-lancing off his prepared script, said "I don't like that they use water from the English Channel to cool the plant," to which Liggett replied "well I'm sure when they're done with it, they put the water back."

Wouldn't that techncially - and literally - have been incorrect?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

05 Sep 2017 09:18

please avoid Kirby please just avoid , do like i do danish comments , pure peace of sense
User avatar telencefalus

05 Sep 2017 09:20

Armchair cyclist wrote:
tobydawq wrote:His pronunciation of that name is hilarious by the way. It's something along the lines of "main keys". How he finds the k in the name is something I will never understand.

By listening to Afrikaans speakers?
https://forvo.com/search/Meintjes/

Oh. Then I guess it wasn't true that I would never understand... Fair play to Kirby then.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

05 Sep 2017 09:22

telencefalus wrote:please avoid Kirby please just avoid , do like i do danish comments , pure peace of sense

Not if you don't speak Danish...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

05 Sep 2017 09:56

Ricco' wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

Yes, it's always a treat to listen to the Giro on Eurosport international because of Rob Hatch. I don't like Sean Kelly's accent and way of speaking, but the pair Hatch+Kelly is the best for me.

I agree. I really like Hatch+Kelly.

Kelly especially is a real good commentator who always gives it a real good go, even on real hard parcours. He usually has a real good go for all the bonifications as well :)
Orbit501

05 Sep 2017 10:00

RedheadDane wrote:
Leinster wrote:
yaco wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

Wouldn't that techncially - and literally - have been incorrect?

Well, Uzbekistan was not yet an independent country, so if you can accept the slightly inaccurate labeling of all Soviet people as 'Russians', which was quite prevalent at the time, Sean wasn't that incorrect.
User avatar Squire

05 Sep 2017 12:56

One of my favourite David Duffield moments was during a Tour involving a stage transfer using the TGV. He was commentating alongside Stephen Roche. DD kept going on about a thing he called the 'tron gran veets'. After a minute or so of this, SR said, "David, I wasn't sure what you were on about. You mean the Train Grand Vitesse." [pronounced perfectly, of course]. DD said, "Well, I think you know what I meant." "That's my point," SR said. "I didn't." It seemed as if they got on, but there was the odd moment when you could hear Roche getting more and more annoyed at his co-worker, and this was one of them.
nikone3na
Newly Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing