Register

Commentatorballs

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

05 Sep 2017 13:27

Uzbekistan was then-recently independent, and Abdu was officially riding under the Uzbek flag. So it was, at the time, technically and officially and geographically incorrect. But it was the early 90s, so nobody made nearly as much of a fuss about these things.
Leinster

05 Sep 2017 23:15

Anybody catch the full line about Kirby 'playing with himself' earlier? He seemed to realise what he had done and umm'd and ahhh'd a bit more than usual.
Strawberry_Jams

06 Sep 2017 07:57

Daniel oss has the look an italiAn who runs a half-disco and half-beach-bar, I feel like he's gonna end up there just because of the way he looks.
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

06 Sep 2017 08:41

really i give you this advise try to see on mute it is much better
User avatar telencefalus

06 Sep 2017 14:50

(Internal teasing, but still found it pretty funny: Rolf, Ritter and Nygaard talking about why older people are grumpy.)

Ritter: I know a lot of old people who are happy.
Nygaard: So do I. You're both among them.

Also, Rolf is not a fan of people wearing jackets.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

06 Sep 2017 14:52

RedheadDane wrote:(Internal teasing, but still found it pretty funny: Rolf, Ritter and Nygaard talking about why older people are grumpy.)

Ritter: I know a lot of old people who are happy.
Nygaard: So do I. You're both among them.

Also, Rolf is not a fan of people wearing jackets.

You can't just put that here and not explain it :p
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld

06 Sep 2017 14:54

When Nibali was wearing a jacket during the foggy descent he (Rolf) was not amused. Talking about how it wasn't necessary and pointless.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

06 Sep 2017 14:55

RedheadDane wrote:When Nibali was wearing a jacket during the foggy descent he (Rolf) was not amused. Talking about how it wasn't necessary and pointless.

Is this guy an ex-cyclist?

06 Sep 2017 14:57

Yeah, Rolf Sørensen.
I guess Danes just have a different definition of when jackets are necessary than Italians do...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

06 Sep 2017 14:58

RedheadDane wrote:Yeah, Rolf Sørensen.
I guess Danes just have a different definition of when jackets are necessary than Italians do...

They should make him descent a climb in the wet with and without a jacket and see if he keeps his opinion.

06 Sep 2017 16:06

I remember in the 2011 Tour Phil Liggett confusing Andy Schleck with Abraham Olano, easy mistake to make when you consider they don't look anything alike, are different nationalities and Olano having retired in 2002.

Same Tour after the first stage we had an Australian presenter in Mike Tomilaris asking after the first stage, "Cadel Evans is 1 second down, can he still win?"
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells

Re: Re:

06 Sep 2017 17:52

GenericBoonenFan wrote:

They should make him descent a climb in the wet with and without a jacket and see if he keeps his opinion.

Let me explain how Rolf's mind works.

Rolf knows everything and is right about everything. If reality happens to disagree, then reality is wrong. Or so Rolf will tell you.
User avatar GuyIncognito

06 Sep 2017 18:01

GuyIncognito wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:

Rolf knows everything and is right about everything. If reality happens to disagree, then reality is wrong. Or so Rolf will tell you.

Rolf sounds like a real *.

06 Sep 2017 19:10

GuyIncognito wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:

Why do you think that? I find that he sounds sort of insecure and when he's annoying it's because of crazy over-praise for everything, hardness of races, how talented someone is and so on.

GenericBoonenFan wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:When Nibali was wearing a jacket during the foggy descent he (Rolf) was not amused. Talking about how it wasn't necessary and pointless.

Is this guy an ex-cyclist?

Won RVV and LBL. Obviously. Always turned up in short sleeves from the first ****** belgian race in february because race was always on.
User avatar ciranda

06 Sep 2017 19:14

ciranda wrote:Won RVV and LBL. Obviously. Always turned up in short sleeves from the first ****** belgian race in february because race was always on.

I guess he had a body fat percentage above 4.5%...
User avatar Jagartrott

Re:

06 Sep 2017 20:22

LaFlorecita wrote:I think it's way too harsh to compare José Been to Kirby. She occasionally makes mistakes but most times this is just a matter of naming the wrong rider, the information is correct and she usually catches it and corrects herself right away. Unlike Kirby, she is respectful towards the riders, doesn't make unacceptable jokes, has vast amounts of cycling knowledge and although she clearly favors young Dutch and Belgian talents, pretty much all riders get equal attention from her. I really enjoy listening to her, especially with a good co-commentator like Karsten Kroon.

If you really want to name someone "the Kirby of the Netherlands", I think Maarten Ducrot is better match. Horrible commentator.

Indeed, that's an insult to Kirby. Been knows nothing, she's always too late with seeing things happening in the race, she makes mistakes about names, she doesn't know the situation in the race. Kirsten Kroon is even worse, he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. Well, he's not watching the race otherwise he would talk about something else. The only proper commentator on Dutch/Belgium Eurosport is the Belgium guy (don't know his name), he got his info right, got most of the times the situation right.

Ducrot, in combination with Herbert Dijkstra, is the best we have in the Netherlands. In minor races we got Joris van de Berg, guy is horrible.
Vesica

06 Sep 2017 20:33

Vesica wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:I think it's way too harsh to compare José Been to Kirby. She occasionally makes mistakes but most times this is just a matter of naming the wrong rider, the information is correct and she usually catches it and corrects herself right away. Unlike Kirby, she is respectful towards the riders, doesn't make unacceptable jokes, has vast amounts of cycling knowledge and although she clearly favors young Dutch and Belgian talents, pretty much all riders get equal attention from her. I really enjoy listening to her, especially with a good co-commentator like Karsten Kroon.

If you really want to name someone "the Kirby of the Netherlands", I think Maarten Ducrot is better match. Horrible commentator.

Indeed, that's an insult to Kirby. Been knows nothing, she's always too late with seeing things happening in the race, she makes mistakes about names, she doesn't know the situation in the race. Kirsten Kroon is even worse, he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. Well, he's not watching the race otherwise he would talk about something else. The only proper commentator on Dutch/Belgium Eurosport is the Belgium guy (don't know his name), he got his info right, got most of the times the situation right.

Ducrot, in combination with Herbert Dijkstra, is the best we have in the Netherlands. In minor races we got Joris van de Berg, guy is horrible.

Hilarious, the ones you dislike are the ones I like, and your favorites are the ones I think are the worst :lol: Well, except Joris van de Berg, I think he is horrible as well.

Listening to Ducrot and Dijkstra is like continuously bashing your head against the wall. Boring anecdotes, open doors, clichés; not recognizing riders, perhaps they would have been good commentators in the 90s but they should have upped their game by now.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

06 Sep 2017 20:42

"Carlos Sastre doesn't look good, it's a certainty." - Laurent Jalabert, on the road to l'Alpe d'Huez during the 2008 Tour (59k to go).
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

06 Sep 2017 20:48

Leinster wrote:Uzbekistan was then-recently independent, and Abdu was officially riding under the Uzbek flag. So it was, at the time, technically and officially and geographically incorrect. But it was the early 90s, so nobody made nearly as much of a fuss about these things.

No, during the Tour of '91 it wasn't. ;)

Don't you ever question Sean Kelly, the poster boy of precision!
User avatar Squire

Re: Commentatorballs

06 Sep 2017 20:55

On the last descent of todays Vuelta stage, Eurosport germany commentator Kasten Migels: "at least the road is not wet" :o
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing