Register

The Aqua Blue Sport thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

12 Sep 2017 22:06

Zinoviev Letter wrote:Casper Pedersen winning the first stage of the Tour of Denmark must have Aqua Blue management feeling pretty smug. They have only announced two new signings, both espoirs coming from the Conti ranks, but Dunbar and Pedersen look like seriously talented kids. Dunbar was an obvious choice, but whoever picked out Pedersen (presumably Nicki Sorensen) seems to know what they are at. That's two big wins for him in just over a month.

Nicki Sørensen's Danish influence has probably been important regarding Pedersen, yes. He has always been one of the biggest talents of this generation of Danish riders (IMO at least) and was strong as a junior but has been putting his focus mostly in track (he was the world champion in omnium as a junior and part of the Danish pursuit squad in Rio last year where he didnt get to ride, sadly) up until this year.
He is quite versatile for a track rider though. He is quick but not a sprinter per se, he can get over some hills and has a decent tt. He seems to have great endurance for his age and really thrives when the racing is tough with a lot of wind, bad weather etc. Exciting prospect for the Flandrian classics I believe.
Bushman

12 Sep 2017 22:40

Hang on, I've just looked at the Aquablue site and don't see any announcement of Pedersen for next year. In fact, the only mentions I can see of him going there are from this forum and a couple of mentions on twitter. Maybe it was just a rumour and he hasn't in fact signed anywhere yet. If so, he will certainly be signing a pro deal somewhere very soon.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2017 11:12

Zinoviev Letter wrote:Hang on, I've just looked at the Aquablue site and don't see any announcement of Pedersen for next year. In fact, the only mentions I can see of him going there are from this forum and a couple of mentions on twitter. Maybe it was just a rumour and he hasn't in fact signed anywhere yet. If so, he will certainly be signing a pro deal somewhere very soon.

It's true that it's only a rumour for now. I was the one who brought the rumour at first on this site as I thought it was only a matter of hours or a few days perhaps until they would announce it. As there still has been no announcement from the team it might be an idea to put this discussion on hold, though it was my initial understanding that the contract had already been signed.

Perhaps the team is just waiting for Casper to become world champion before announcing the signing :)
Bushman

13 Sep 2017 12:59

Well, now it's official.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 Sep 2017 13:15

Bushman wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:Hang on, I've just looked at the Aquablue site and don't see any announcement of Pedersen for next year. In fact, the only mentions I can see of him going there are from this forum and a couple of mentions on twitter. Maybe it was just a rumour and he hasn't in fact signed anywhere yet. If so, he will certainly be signing a pro deal somewhere very soon.

It's true that it's only a rumour for now. I was the one who brought the rumour at first on this site as I thought it was only a matter of hours or a few days perhaps until they would announce it. As there still has been no announcement from the team it might be an idea to put this discussion on hold, though it was my initial understanding that the contract had already been signed.

Perhaps the team is just waiting for Casper to become world champion before announcing the signing :)

Well it turns out you were right! (It's always a pretty good sign from a team's point of view when they sign an espoir and then in between the contract being signed and the deal being announced he wins a pro race.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 23:23

I am still extremely interested in how Eddie Dunbar gets on. Have posted about him before but he's basically a young Andy Schleck. He was never confident in his descending so he would go from way, way out in lumpy races and often win.
User avatar vedrafjord

Re:

14 Sep 2017 00:28

vedrafjord wrote:I am still extremely interested in how Eddie Dunbar gets on. Have posted about him before but he's basically a young Andy Schleck. He was never confident in his descending so he would go from way, way out in lumpy races and often win.

Recently though rather surprisingly his best showings have been on the cobbles and in the TT, and although he's clearly a climber, he hasn't shown "Young Andy" level at that yet.

I am looking forward to seeing how both he and Pedersen get on next year. On paper Aqua Blue seem to have made the best espoir signings of any team outside of the very top end of the WT. which is a nice change after their (now proven entirely correct) decision to focus on recruiting well established mid-level riders last year.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Previous

Return to Professional road racing