Register

New Jerseys - 2018 Season - TeamKits-Maillots-Tricots-Tenues

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

06 Jan 2018 22:01

User avatar Alexandre B.

Re: New Jerseys - 2018 Season - TeamKits-Maillots-Tricots-Te

07 Jan 2018 08:40

Vesica wrote:I'm not really a Movistar fan, but man this tricot is awesome! :cool:
Seriously considering if I don't want one myself.

Rachel Neylan looked great wearing the new Movistar kit at Nationals, it stood out well with the big white M on the back of the jersey and knicks. I’m warming to it.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

08 Jan 2018 13:46

RedheadDane wrote:Why should kits look like in the 90s?
I know this is scary, but the 90s were almost 30 years ago. Of course kit-fashions would have changed a bit since then, after all; regular-clothes-fashions have changed.

Because Image
:D

That United Colors of Benetton look actually was back few years ago with neon and pastel colors being fancy once again. The classic colorful chino + poloshirt look. Only in cycling were this look has been en vogue for years it sadly enough stayed black purism.
User avatar staubsauger

09 Jan 2018 07:41

Edmondson’s new jersey has already been spotted:

User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re: Re:

09 Jan 2018 14:00

Once it was like this. And it was GLORIOUS.
**** this Pro Tour.

User avatar Pippo_San

09 Jan 2018 15:31

Yes, those kits are cool, in a... charmingly-ugly way, but you can't expect kit-fashions - or any kind of fashion - to stay the same for almost 30 years.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

09 Jan 2018 15:57

This is the real Polti kit:
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

Re:

09 Jan 2018 16:44

RedheadDane wrote:Yes, those kits are cool, in a... charmingly-ugly way, but you can't expect kit-fashions - or any kind of fashion - to stay the same for almost 30 years.

That's all from the last 5-10 years! So like I said it definitely was en vogue again around 2012/2013 at least. This look has it's roots just as much in cycling as in the Italohouse / - Disco and Eurodance / Eurodisco scene and the gay community of the early 90s and late 80s. Since so much sound, lifestyle and more stuff from the 90s has come back lately, one would absolutely expect jersey designers to pay credit to a look that's deeply connected to the world of cycling.

In Urban music those woolen hats and bandanas from the 90s are back. Just like platinum blonde hair was (Nicki Minaj & Lewis Hamilton). Ellesse and Fila both reintroduced their infamous fluo and pastel colors in the UK with their so called vintage lines. Ariana Grande wears stuff that looks 90s by nature all the time. EDM has become as big as Dance has been back in the day. So much has been influenced by the 90s lately.

It really only is cycling that has completely missed the boat to pronounce it's strong roots to the 90s fashion wise. Which rightfully is considered a shame, since cycling always has been a very eurochic sport and nowhere the 90s have been as much pronounced as in the world of cycling.

For many of us this look simply represents the identity of cycling. Just like Afro-Americans or Afro-Caribbeans have certain styles that represent the identity of their culture and especially Rap / R&B music for them.
Last edited by staubsauger on 09 Jan 2018 17:23, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar staubsauger

09 Jan 2018 17:18

I cry everytime I see the Bora Hansgrohe outfit.
And people voted it the best outfit of 2018?

WTH. I feel like I'm reading an insurance company flyer or something like that.
User avatar Pippo_San

09 Jan 2018 19:00

^^ pretty remarkable outcome of that voting indeed. Colours are not very nice, it's a messy design. I don't like it
Vesica

Re:

09 Jan 2018 19:54

Pippo_San wrote:I cry everytime I see the Bora Hansgrohe outfit.

Probably because it's the team Sagan is in.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re: Re:

09 Jan 2018 20:46

staubsauger wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Yes, those kits are cool, in a... charmingly-ugly way, but you can't expect kit-fashions - or any kind of fashion - to stay the same for almost 30 years.

[Photos removed, they're just a few posts up anyway]
That's all from the last 5-10 years! So like I said it definitely was en vogue again around 2012/2013 at least. This look has it's roots just as much in cycling as in the Italohouse / - Disco and Eurodance / Eurodisco scene and the gay community of the early 90s and late 80s. Since so much sound, lifestyle and more stuff from the 90s has come back lately, one would absolutely expect jersey designers to pay credit to a look that's deeply connected to the world of cycling.

In Urban music those woolen hats and bandanas from the 90s are back. Just like platinum blonde hair was (Nicki Minaj & Lewis Hamilton). Ellesse and Fila both reintroduced their infamous fluo and pastel colors in the UK with their so called vintage lines. Ariana Grande wears stuff that looks 90s by nature all the time. EDM has become as big as Dance has been back in the day. So much has been influenced by the 90s lately.

It really only is cycling that has completely missed the boat to pronounce it's strong roots to the 90s fashion wise. Which rightfully is considered a shame, since cycling always has been a very eurochic sport and nowhere the 90s have been as much pronounced as in the world of cycling.

For many of us this look simply represents the identity of cycling. Just like Afro-Americans or Afro-Caribbeans have certain styles that represent the identity of their culture and especially Rap / R&B music for them.

Well, retro-styles becoming in is a thing, so maybe that will happen for team kits as well, they sure seem to be a bit more colourful recently.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

12 Jan 2018 13:19

Pippo_San wrote:I cry everytime I see the Bora Hansgrohe outfit.

I love it.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

14 Jan 2018 23:22

Those helmets are a bit odd.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

15 Jan 2018 03:05

Alexandre B. wrote:Those helmets are a bit odd.

I thought so too, but they certainly stood out. A bit like Bora’s fluro orange socks...
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

15 Jan 2018 11:05

TDU Classic serves one important function each year: to show how clearly each kit can be distinguished.

I have only seen brief highlights on YouTube (FreeSports does not use my local transmitter), but I would say:

* there is just about enough difference between Movistar and Astana, at least if Astana's cuffs are visible;
* that there are too many mainly white backs, Sky & Lotto-Soudal's addition to this group is not helpful;
* it will take a second glance to distinguish between Mitchelton and LottoNL for a few months;
* Quickstep's jersey is not at all as dark as the publicity pics suggested, but still different enough from Astana/Movistar;
* Bora and Sky helmets look set to cause confusion during sprints, at least for the various mainly white championship jerseys that Bora have.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

20 Jan 2018 20:40

is that colour helmet Speclized range too? they seem be pushing the colours this yr like they did with their bikes. For me looking at shorts u got have bands on the legs, replaced by national strips for past champions
This weeks blog covers Israel Cycling, women's cycling welfare, and I try not get started on World Tour field size. http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/letstalkcycling-muses/ :D
User avatar manafana

20 Jan 2018 22:18

The flouro helmers, socks and shoes on the Specialized sponsored riders are a marketing gimmick to promote the new Sworks7 shoe and the new aero helmet.
mikkelfrandsen

20 Jan 2018 22:47

Note that it was only for the crit, not for the real racing.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

21 Jan 2018 05:52

They used them for today's stage as well. Are they sprint-helmets?

So... this is just a weird middle-of-the-night theory, but could a more colourful kit-fashion help in term of safety for the average person going out riding?
If I'm not mistaken, those people who actually dress up in full cycling kit tend to, if not dressing in actual team-kit, then wear something of a similar style. And if the fashion in the pro-peloton says "be colourful", then ordinary people are more likely to dress in a colourful way, and thus more likely to be seen.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing