Register

2017 Worlds BERGEN, NORWAY, ITT ELITE Wednesday 20 Sept

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Who wins the ITT in Bergen?

Tom Dumoulin
72%
Geraint Thomas
1%
Rohan Dennis
6%
Tony Martin
2%
Chris Froome
8%
Primož Roglič
3%
Michal Kwiatkowski
3%
Stefan Küng
No votes
Maciej Bodnar
3%
Wilco Kelderman
1%

Total votes : 144

19 Sep 2017 23:24

This stuff with the carpet, pushing, bike change is really stupid.

Just put the climb in the middle after one lap if you need it there - the course will be more interesting that way. Then we would see if someone would risk a change, and riders would plan how much energy to give etc etc.

A Worlds TT should be like 50-60km anyway.
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

Re:

19 Sep 2017 23:33

HelloDolly wrote:what surprised me is how much of a surprise the course seemed to so many of the pros when they saw it.... do these guys not recce before they turn up or accept to ride

Bergen isn't the easiest place to get to. I doubt any non-Norwegian rider visited in person prior to this week.
Parker

19 Sep 2017 23:33

It's a dead end, so it's there at the finish or not at all.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 00:04

Parker wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:what surprised me is how much of a surprise the course seemed to so many of the pros when they saw it.... do these guys not recce before they turn up or accept to ride

Bergen isn't the easiest place to get to. I doubt any non-Norwegian rider visited in person prior to this week.

I meant see a video ...or have a country support staff go there ....esp if you want to win

It's a dead end, so it's there at the finish or not at all.

Could they not do a turn around and go back down it ??
HelloDolly

Re: 2017 Worlds BERGEN, NORWAY, ITT ELITE Wednesday 20 Sept

20 Sep 2017 01:16

Tony whining, like all German riders these days. Always complaining. Really.

Too short, but who said that it has to be flat?

Dumourain to cap a Huge year.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 01:52

Parker wrote:
A stage of 'Tour des Fjords' finished in Bergen a year ago. And some Belgians visited in April.
AQETUYIOI

20 Sep 2017 02:56

Tonton wrote:Tony whining, like all German riders these days. Always complaining. Really.

Dumourain to cap a Huge year.

Thats the kind of generalization I like.

Please direct me to all the crying by all the Germans the last few days.
Breh

20 Sep 2017 04:35

Actually I thought the same as Tonton wrote,but couldn't quite back it up. It's just a feeling.

But I guess it's mostly Tony Martin and John Degenkolb,and it's perhaps more due to their rapid decline in results than their nationality. Greipel has handled his below-average season better than those two.
User avatar Kazistuta

20 Sep 2017 05:18

Actually, I don't mind an ITT like this once in a while. I would have preferred a more hilly ITT instead of a MTF ITT but it's ok. We're still talking about Dumoulin, Froome, Dennis, Kiryienka etc. as the biggest favorites, so it's not like it skewed towards climbers who can TT well anyway.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

Re:

20 Sep 2017 06:26

Kazistuta wrote:Actually I thought the same as Tonton wrote,but couldn't quite back it up. It's just a feeling.

But I guess it's mostly Tony Martin and John Degenkolb,and it's perhaps more due to their rapid decline in results than their nationality. Greipel has handled his below-average season better than those two.

My sense is that there has been a big decline in rider crumbles since Cancellera retired.....
User avatar The Hegelian

20 Sep 2017 07:28

Anyone know what form Bodnar is in?
It's a bit similar to the TdF TT he won.
User avatar Jagartrott

20 Sep 2017 07:34

The Germen Greipel is one of the least moany cyclists in the peloton

I think some people are getting too hung up about the small hill at the finish, this is only a small part of the course, I see the French haven't entered Romain Bardet because of it.
del1962
Veteran

Re:

20 Sep 2017 08:10

HelloDolly wrote:I do have sympathy for Tony Martin , Victor Campenaerts, Maciej Bodnar, Jonathan Castroviejo & Stefan Kung. These guys are top TTers with little chance of wining big except at the Worlds .. I would even include Dennis in that list

Guys like those had a chance to become world champion from 1994 to 2016. And they will have again from 2018 until itt's will be gone. Which will happen in the next ten years. So no need to feel sorry.
Max Rockatansky

20 Sep 2017 08:23

With that hill at the end I think Kelderman might surprise. I'm going for

1 Dumoulin
2 Froome
3 Kelderman
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

20 Sep 2017 08:45

Kazistuta wrote:Actually I thought the same as Tonton wrote,but couldn't quite back it up. It's just a feeling.

Jens Voigt also started to whine when he got old.
User avatar el chava

20 Sep 2017 08:52

Allowing or even encouraging a complete bike change is beyond ridiculous. I mean there's even a designated pitstop for god's sake.

TT's should be raced with the same bike, no radio, no SRM, no BS. It should be a test for how well you can assess your own pain and body and pace yourself according to that. It seems they want to make a pure pure tech show.
User avatar el chava

20 Sep 2017 09:13

Hugo Koblet wrote:Actually, I don't mind an ITT like this once in a while. I would have preferred a more hilly ITT instead of a MTF ITT but it's ok. We're still talking about Dumoulin, Froome, Dennis, Kiryienka etc. as the biggest favorites, so it's not like it skewed towards climbers who can TT well anyway.

It's only a 3rd category climb. Not exactly an MTF.

Tonton wrote:Tony whining, like all German riders these days. Always complaining. Really.

Pretty sure Tony at his career best would be competitive FTW in this ITT. His whining doesn't make much sense. He didn't have to show up. He knew what the profile looked like beforehand.

As for the length... I don't mind it if they mix it up every now and then. Then again, I'm not nearly as conservative as most cycling fans on this forum.
18-Valve. (pithy)

20 Sep 2017 09:38

Dumoulin said the 'flat' isn't really flat, it's up and down the whole time trial. He said he probably couldn't wish for a better profile. But ofcourse Froome and Dennis remain main competitors
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

20 Sep 2017 09:39

el chava wrote:Allowing or even encouraging a complete bike change is beyond ridiculous. I mean there's even a designated pitstop for god's sake.

TT's should be raced with the same bike, no radio, no SRM, no BS. It should be a test for how well you can assess your own pain and body and pace yourself according to that. It seems they want to make a pure pure tech show.

Totally agree. The same with the TT suit design which in fact has become some science race to the bottom. Just f### off with that.

In fact I would just like to see: TT 50/60 km, bring your TT bike and helmet and we show you the exact course on the day before the race.
Pennino

20 Sep 2017 10:19

So some outsiders for the win imo (in ascending order of probability)

Gianni Moscon
Gorka Izaguirre
Primoz Roglic
Wilco Kelderman
Jonathan Castroviejo
HelloDolly

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing